PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Belt Knife?

trapshooter
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Hey All,
Was thinking of getting one of these knives to have and possibly use for hunting. Do any of you have one or have any experience with them?

Thanks
Trap

MK2750
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
If you are talking the Grohman Canadian Belt knife, I have several and they are awesome. Be aware that they manufacture the knives with different carbon content that can be ordered.

The higher the carbon content the harder the steel, however if a line is crossed a high carbon knife can be brittle and chip under normal circumstances.

I have a couple of regular stainless that I use for everyday hunting, fishing and camping and one high carbon one that you could shave with after skinning a deer.

If you visit the website it shows all models.

I am not familiar with the knock off on the net other than this review when I Googled Canadian Belt Knife.

3.0 out of 5 stars Canadian Belt Knife, Jan 11 2013
By john - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Canadian Belt Knife, Polypropylene Handle, Cordura Sheath (Sports)
Well this is not a Handcrafted Grohmann Knives it was not made in Pictou Nova Scotia, Will never be recognized around the world for its beauty, balance and quality. If you realize that then you are off to a great start, for the money this knife is good value from Cold Steel and while lighter is a useful knife to have handy for a lot of home chores and will help you become used to handling an elliptical knife if in doing that you like the style and find it useful you could always order the original. As I have.

dumoulin
01-30-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't know...they don't look like the handle is comfortable enough...

Mojoduckhunter
01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Hey All,
Was thinking of getting one of these knives to have and possibly use for hunting. Do any of you have one or have any experience with them?

Thanks
Trap

I do not have any experience but I do know I am typing with one hand because of a havalon knife. Surgical scalpel steel and never have to be sharpened

Fowl91
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I use the Russell belt knife by Grohmann and also the Grohmann skinner. Both are excellent for skinning. The handle is slim and easy to maneuver opposed to a knife with a bulky handle. Holds a good enough edge, skinned three deer before it became noticeable that it needed sharpening. I use the stainless steel models. I would say they are a good value for their price point and performance.

CaberTosser
01-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Cold Steel is plagiarizing the classic design

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/20CBL/CANADIAN_BELT_KNIFE.aspx

M.C. Gusto
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I own 10 nice skinners and the two Russel belt knives i own are my favorite> the ergonomics are perfect for skinning and the sharpen up fast.

Bark River makes a real nice copy of the Canadian model but its pricey.

Lowenbrau
01-30-2013, 03:49 PM

That is exactly what I thought when I first saw them...

Then I used one.

catnthehat
01-30-2013, 04:56 PM
That is exactly what I thought when I first saw them...

Then I used one.

The poriginal Russel belt knife won a Knife maker's Guild award for the handle design because of its erganomics, and there is one in the smithsonian as well .
Cat

mudbug
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
I have a Russel boat knife and a trout/bird knife that I put together from the kit package they sell and I like them a lot. I also have a the coldsteel copy of teh belt knife that I got from cabelas and it is also not too bad but not as nice as the real deal :)

pikergolf
01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Hey trap, your pretty handy, this might make a nice winter project for you. They have other Grohmann kits and the finished knifes as well. Good savings as well.
http://www.knifezone.ca/grohmannoutdoor/r1kit.htm

cal33
01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
I have been using a Russell fish and bird knife, this is simply their smaller size, for many years, dressing and skinning all sizes of game. Excellent light, comfortable knife that holds its edge and sharpens well. My knife, I think, came out of New Brunswick at that time, not sure now, and Cat is correct about the international awards.

ward
01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/about.html

teledogs
01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Grohman is a NS company. Pictou, NS. I love the big Canada stamped into the blade. Love mine, Belt Knife and Survival R4S. My son loves his Trout & Bird knife too.

catnthehat
01-31-2013, 11:11 AM
I have an original '58 and a
'62, Belt and bird respectively.
I also have their Sartac knove and several others.
My Rssels are high carbon steel , which I prefer.
However Grohmann now makes them with stainless as well, this was started before Russel sold the factory to him however.
I tiured the factory several years ago, pretty nest place.:)
Cat

petew
01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
They have been my go to knife for nearly 40 years.

magoonpointboy
02-13-2013, 08:57 PM
I still have my Dad's original belt knife. Must be from the fifties. Just received my new Canadian Forces model, I ordered from the clearance page.http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/clearance.html
I can't find a mark on it, but it was 50% off. Great knives.

vcmm
02-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Trap, PM Coho911 He can make you a nice one.

j m
02-14-2013, 07:48 AM
I still have my Dad's original belt knife. Must be from the fifties. Just received my new Canadian Forces model, I ordered from the clearance page.http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/clearance.html
I can't find a mark on it, but it was 50% off. Great knives.

I picked up a discounted belt knife when I was the factory 2 years ago. From the knives I looked at, there were small blemishes on the handles. Very good value and great performing knife.

covey ridge
02-14-2013, 09:42 AM
I picked up a discounted belt knife when I was the factory 2 years ago. From the knives I looked at, there were small blemishes on the handles. Very good value and great performing knife.

About 20 years ago we did a tour of the factory and they offered us what I thought was a significant discount. I bought 3 as gifts. When I got back to Calgary I found out that WSS Barotto's regular price was way better. I kept and used a stainless navy version. It was good, but not near as good as the older carbon steel versions. The older version used to turn black with a bit of use but sure had a good edge that could be easily maintained.

Cal
02-15-2013, 07:00 PM

If you can find one single way to grasp that handle that is not both comfortable and secure I will give you every hunting knife I own other than my Grohmann #1. Might seem like a stupid bet to make but 1; it is not possible to grab this handle in a manner that feels uncomfortable and 2; after using one for a few seasons every other knife I own feels clumbsy and poorly designed, I wouldnt miss them anyways.

My wife has a bird and trout, a nice knife if you've got smaller hands.

Cal
02-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Cold Steel is plagiarizing the classic design

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/20CBL/CANADIAN_BELT_KNIFE.aspx

Browning, Bark River, and KOA have all borrowed heavily from the #1's design. My cousin brought one of the browning rip offs to camp this year, the blade is a little shorter which was nice but the handle is way to small for me, even if it was perfect I'd keep using Grohmanns.

catnthehat
02-15-2013, 07:11 PM
If you can find one single way to grasp that handle that is not both comfortable and secure I will give you every hunting knife I own other than my Grohmann #1. Might seem like a stupid bet to make but 1; it is not possible to grab this handle in a manner that feels uncomfortable and 2; after using one for a few seasons every other knife I own feels clumbsy and poorly designed, I wouldnt miss them anyways.

Simply a fantastic design of handle, I TOTALLY agree!!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

philthygeezer
02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't buy a knockoff. The imitations are just proof of the Grohmann's goodness.

old30-06
02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
X2

DeNomad
02-17-2013, 10:48 AM
These knives look interesting. Does anyone know where they are sold around Edmonton?

catnthehat
02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
These knives look interesting. Does anyone know where they are sold around Edmonton?

There should be several places, I know that Outdoor essentials up here has a hard time keeping them on the shelf!

You can certainly buy them online as well.:)
Cat

Cal
02-17-2013, 11:20 AM

Cabellas and WSS generaly have a few models in the cases, they dont list any dealers out here but one can usualy find a couple kicking around in most hunting stores. Prices tend to fluctuate widely, I've seen them priced at around $100 in some of the smaller shops, if you shop around you should be able to get one in the $60- $70 range.

For online ordering there is a site called "Eliptical blades" Or somthing along those lines, their prices are pretty good but their shipping puts them around $100, they come with the military style sheith though so IMO thats not a bad deal.

MK2750
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and purchased a Cutco serrated to try. 30 seconds into the deer I was really glade I had a Grohman on my belt as well. I had just taken the Grohman for luck as it belonged to a departed friend. I can't remember if I had ever sharpened it since it was left to me but like all Grohmans it got the task done in no time.

It just feels perfect in hand and it so natural to maneuver about a carcass. Not to age my self but 40+ years of practicing with one could be a factor.

If not for the orange handle the Cutco would still reside in the forest where I hucked it, but considering many are happy with them I flipped it on the buy and sell.

trapshooter
02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Well I got mine in the mail and so far I love it!! Like the feel of it.

Cal
02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Well I got mine in the mail and so far I love it!! Like the feel of it.

Keep it on your belt a season or two and you'll realy start to love it!

TRAPPER92
02-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I had one of those russel knives - I bought it at a garage sale for 10$! It was my favorite knife right until I lost it while bow hunting! :mad0100:

Ceilidh69
02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Grohman is a NS company. Pictou, NS. I love the big Canada stamped into the blade. Love mine, Belt Knife and Survival R4S. My son loves his Trout & Bird knife too.

X2 - been there - Original Belt knife is great