PDA

View Full Version : Flights to Whitehorse

Ryry4
01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Quick question for some of the guys on here that have flown up there from Calgary, who did you fly with? What are the hotels like there if a guy has to spend the night? Any help would be appreciated.

I think I may be going stone sheep hunting. :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Buckhead
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
I flew up and back on Air North. No problems.

Stayed at the Edgewater hotel. Older but clean. Nice room and cushy bed.

munyee4321
01-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Quick question for some of the guys on here that have flown up there from Calgary, who did you fly with? What are the hotels like there if a guy has to spend the night? Any help would be appreciated.

Air north would be my choice as I'm going up there in August.
Can't help you on hotels.

Who you hunting through?

bigguns
01-30-2013, 01:35 PM
I really like flying with Air North. Customer service way better than Air Canada. They serve complimentary sandwiches and usually a hot cookie. High country inn is pretty popular for the hunters traveling through, right in the down town. But Sky hotel is nice and close to the airport, decent place to spend the night also. Sounds like a great trip planned!

Ryry4
01-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Air north would be my choice as I'm going up there in August.
Can't help you on hotels.

Who you hunting through?

Kawdy Outfitters.

Ryry4
01-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've never flown with Air North, but it looks like this may be the first trip with them. What are they like in regards to checking rifles?

YoungBuck
01-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Only flown with air north once but they were great. It was nice to see that there were still companies that still provide patrons with FREE food. I have stayed at the westmark, it was good and the restaurant was really good. Though it is full of seniors getting trained in from the cruise ships on the coast.

WhiteyChaser
01-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Air North is the way to go for flights, awesome service and their prices are very competitive. As for rifles im sure they are not bad, after all they serve caribou steak on some of their flights, and For Hotels there are lots to choose from. I believe the Westmark downtown is fairly nice but have only had friends stay there, I've not stayed there myself.

kayaker
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Flew Air North once from EDM. Excellent service and staff.

whammy
01-30-2013, 03:21 PM

I fly Air Canada, but I've heard good things re: Air North.

If I'm heading out the next day on another flight, I stay at the Skyy, its right across from the airport (there's a shuttle to take you there and back). Nice rooms, and the dinner isn't bad either. If you're spending time in Whitehorse, stay downtown. Theres a bunch of nice places downtown.

Scotty P.
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Air North all the way! Not too sure about the hotels though. I'm lucky enough to have family to stay with up there. Congrats on the Hunt! We all expect to see pics and a story as soon as you get back! Good luck!

markcfbman
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I fly to Whitehorse about 6 times a year westjet is the cheapest I stay at the Goldrush

beerhunter
01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
The only way to go Air North. Great service and friendly staff.

I stayed at the Westmark downtown. Walking distance to any of the decent restaurants etc. There are many other good hotels up there too like some of the others have mentioned

Depending when you are going and how many nights you need to stay you will want to book ahead as far as you can because from May to Oct is booked solid almost.

Torkdiesel
01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Can't help much with the flight as I've always driven.

As far as a hotel check out the 98. It's got a special ambiance and lots of culture. You'll never forget it :)

omega50
01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Air North cuz the home made bag lunch of caribou sandwich was good.
Have stayed at both the Edgewater and the Goldrush. They are ok.
Usually just spend one night on way to Caribou Crossing to cook lunch and eat donuts.

gitrdun
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've never flown with Air North, but it looks like this may be the first trip with them. What are they like in regards to checking rifles?

They're awesome for checking in rifles, just make sure you have them in a locked in a hard case. I think they post the requirements on their website. Your ammo should also be in a separate case to which they'll afix an "ammunition" sticker.

jkav
01-30-2013, 09:43 PM

I also recommend Air North and the High Country Inn; I've never had any problem flying a rifle with either Air North or Air Canada.

Best of luck in your hunt.

J.

kinniro
01-30-2013, 10:34 PM
I took Air North and I had no trouble with gun or ammo. Guys at camp went with Air Canada and said they weren't happy. Stayed at the Goldrush and was happy with everything. Pub downstairs and walk around town for something to do.

Duk Dog
01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Air North, and the Edgewater Hotel on both of my trips. Great coffee shop right across the road, and a short walk to Klondike Rib & Salmon - a must for supper. Air North has been great to fly with - including a rifle, all my gear etc.. Have flown from Calgary to Whitehorse, and on to Dawson with them. Best of luck on your trip and hunt.

Ryry4
01-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Good stuff, thanks guys.

scrapper
01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Fly Air North, I have absolutely had it with Air Canada, AC has a new motto....
"Were not happy till your not happy".

Ryry4
01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Fly Air North, I have absolutely had it with Air Canada, AC has a new motto....
"Were not happy till your not happy".

I hear you on that one.

sharpstick
01-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Versleuce Meadows B&B, Curtis and Rosanna will treat you like royalty. they are the nicest hosts in town and will do anything for you. If they have time, they will even pick you up and take you to the airport/floatplane. You won't regret staying there.

Ryry4
02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just booked my flights with Air North.

Now if everything works out I'll be a 3/4 slammer by the end of August. :sHa_shakeshout:

nube
02-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Me Jelous:) congrats!!!! I am only half way myself. Going to go chase Marco polos first I think and then I may have to figure out how to get a stone or Desert but I think a few other hunts might get in the way first. I hope you smash a good one!

Chukar Hunter
02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
I flew with Air North, but they missed my luggage and my rifle when they droped me at Dawson. I had to leave for camp as my charter was on the tarmac. Make the long story short, I hunted with borrowed gear. Make sure you arrive in Dawson or where ever is your charter flight flying to, one full day in adavnce to allow for this.

Yours in good hunting,

CH

Duk Dog
02-07-2013, 01:31 PM
I flew with Air North, but they missed my luggage and my rifle when they droped me at Dawson. I had to leave for camp as my charter was on the tarmac. Make the long story short, I hunted with borrowed gear. Make sure you arrive in Dawson or where ever is your charter flight flying to, one full day in adavnce to allow for this.

Yours in good hunting,

CH

Good advice. I never had this issue but did make a point of being in town the day prior to flying into camp - just in case there were any issues (weather, missing luggage etc).

Ryry4
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
For sure, I'll be in town a couple days before I have to leave for Watson Lake. The flight on August 10 is already sold out.