PDA

View Full Version : Mountain hunting and clothing

nube
01-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Saw some good prices for Sitka gear today and was thinking of getting some good mountain cloths for my hunt in Azerjaiban next year. What do you guys think about Sitka stuff? To me it doesn't seem warm enough for a sheep hunt here in Alberta if it is in October and the weather turns cold.
Any thoughts on the stuff or anything that is out there that is worth looking at?

I like the idea of lightweight but you need it to be waterproof or resistant and also good to -10 degrees i figure. What are your thoughts?

ksteed17
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Saw some good prices for Sitka gear today and was thinking of getting some good mountain cloths for my hunt in Azerjaiban next year. What do you guys think about Sitka stuff? To me it doesn't seem warm enough for a sheep hunt here in Alberta if it is in October and the weather turns cold.
Any thoughts on the stuff or anything that is out there that is worth looking at?

I like the idea of lightweight but you need it to be waterproof or resistant and also good to -10 degrees i figure. What are your thoughts?

Sitka makes quality stuff no doubt. I use kuiu and am very happy with it. Used it all year sheep hunting right up to the last weekend when it was -10 and 18"+ snow. Either way you can't go wrong.

Mtnbowhunter
01-30-2013, 07:46 PM
I agree on the kuiu. They also have a new down clothing line for the colder hunts to add as a layer. I use their gear right up until the end of November.

mtnhunter
01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Happy with both Kuiu and Sitka in the mountains all season long. Wear a few technical layers and you'll be fine to -10C easily.

Stinky Coyote
01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Dont do it nube, save money, get great gear at mec and other mountain gear places, don't need camo up the rocks

ksteed17
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Dont do it nube, save money, get great gear at mec and other mountain gear places, don't need camo up the rocks

Some of my kuiu stuff isn't camo. You can't beat quality hunting clothes. I'd rather support a hunting company then mec.

nube
01-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Not too worried about Camo really. I just want to get some good gear for once in my life. Haven't really found anything worth it and not really sure if I want to drop the kind of money Sitka or those types want when it looks like summer jacket type stuff.

I usually bring too much clothing with me and need to get a system going that works.

Mtnbowhunter
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
It's very expensive, but if you're not concerned about camo, arcteryx has some awesome gear as well.

bdub
01-30-2013, 08:55 PM
My late season sheep hunting clothes are merino wool base layers, wool pants either heavy or light depending on weather, camo top layer that I can fit over a good lightweight down jacket(north face summit or Denali depending on conditions)and a rain proof top and bottom shell with hood(mountain hardware). Good wool touque I can tie down over my ears, balaclava and gloves or mitts depending on conditions as well. A pair of good ski goggles has also saved the day for me more than once when the wind comes up and on bright days in snow.
Good luck on your hunt.

Hunting Guy
01-30-2013, 08:58 PM
try arcteryx, mountain hardware....along those lines.That is all i use for my mountain hunting, throw in merino wool base layers and you are set. Ive heard it said about mountain clothes that "if its camo its crap" from my experience I would agree, but there are a few very expensive exceptions to that rule. These clothes can be bought from places other than MEC if thats a moral problem, if enough hunters buy there we will become more of a voice regarding their bottom line. Their accountants will realize how much $$$$ hunters spend on clothes and hopefully they will continue to ease up on their anti hunting stance. That would be very good for our over all hunting image, they do have quality gear and a kick ass warranty. another place
Sierra trading post has some crazy deals on the high end hiking type clothes.

tikka250
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
used to work at a hunting store on Vancouver island bc. (lots and lots of rain pretty much all fall and winter) and i found that everyone that bought sitka gear liked it for its waterproofing and quietness while hunting. as for cold weather most of the stuff we sold was the downpour series and it was not super warm but with a bit of layering you would be fine in -10.
note. we once had a waranty isue where the waterproofing on the inner lining of the jacket was cracking and compromising its ability to repel water for longer periods of time.

Twobucks
01-30-2013, 10:08 PM
I'd agree you don't need all camo up high - and MEC makes great stuff. You can't beat their goretex storm shells for a combo of price and durability.

I think of my clothing in two parts: moving and sitting. Light, breathable layers for moving and a big bad puffy for sitting.

Arcteryx is way over-priced but excellent. Kuiu is medium priced and excellent. MEC is the same with better colours for hunting.

Don't cheap out, but careful you don't waste your money either.

Stinky Coyote
01-31-2013, 08:23 AM
woohoo, thought i'd be the minority here on recommendation! u can find some tough stuff that costs a bit more at the mountain supply places too, ie; patagonia mountain guide pants are on my list right now as so much of my gear doesn't fit me anymore now that i seem to run between 170-175 lbs for the past year or so and no changes planned going forward (i hit 169 lbs end of sheep season this past year, first i've seen that sort of weight since just after highschool) i've had to get new everything not just hunting stuff but there is tough stuff, arc teryx is pricey but their reputation is built on durability so you will find a blend of quality tough gear along with the budget stuff or for items that don't need to be as tough and easy to find grey/taupe/black....neutral colors, down sweaters/coats for sitting periods,

i run merino base layer (cheap/effective), then shoeller style pants, a light fleece hoodie...for the most part thats all i can hike in, if its chilly i can add some light gloves, maybe a beanie toque but usually an earband is enough here, i use the mec hydrofoil rain gear top and bottom when i sit usually and keep a down sweater for most early season work and heavier down coat for later season....there are some down specific companies to check out for killer down pants and hoodies that weigh next to nothing that are great for stationary and would let you get away with a lighter sleeping bag i imagine, there are still holes in my arsenal i need to fill but it won't be shopping at those expensive camo places with the amount of decent gear available for the mountain set that crosses over perfectly for much less moula

for bowhunting i can see putting some thought into quieter gear and maybe this is where those expensive camo shops can offer more finds on the kind of gear we need?

Roughneck Country
01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Im shocked Nube that your not outfitted to the gills with gear. You have posted some pretty incredible hunts and I would have assumed you would have a pretty good system already figured out for yourself.

This last year I finally figured out what works for me in the mountains after a lot of expensive trial and error. I have a KUIU outter layer, and a puff style jacket like KUIU's spin drift. I made sure the one I got was synthetic though. I found with that layering system I was extrewmly warm and never needed anything else. I also have a HH Impertech jacket for rain gear that I use instead of the KUIU Guide jacket if its raining or sleating. I also tuck a wool sweater into the pack if I plan on having to sit for an extended period of time. I also use polertech for a base layer and have found it ideal if it is cold enough to warrent it. I have stayed away from the merino wool stuff primarily for 1 reason....the wife cant seem to wash anything made of wool and have it not shrink! After I discovered some of the newer synthetics I ditched almost everything made of cotton. I could never get it dried out in the field. Also last but not lease I switched from cotton socks to smartwool socks. Since then my feet have never been damp or cold. If anything I would say that is the best improvment I have made over the past few years.

Huntnut
01-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Tried the sitka stuff-wasn't impressed. Merino wool all the way for me. Wicks moisture away much better and much warmer.

buckbrushoutdoors
01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Ive found sitka to be top notch. Layers are the key to the system. Ive done -15 mountain hunts with it now and I have no problems with it keeping me warm while hiking with a pack on. When I stop to glass I pull out my mounatin hardwear jacket and throw that on. I cant remeber the name but I tried the windproof water proof jacket and pants this year and it was well worth the money, very tuff fabric. I have yet to rip or tear any of it and packs extremely well. Under Armour has really come along ways with there gear as well but its a bit bulkier and doesnt pack as easy.

leeelmer
01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Some of my kuiu stuff isn't camo. You can't beat quality hunting clothes. I'd rather support a hunting company then mec.

No Kidding I stopped shopping at mec when they started giving money to anti hunting groups and I have been using Kuiu now and love all of it. Stupid lightweight and great quality and cheeper than Sitka, not that Sitka is bad but I am a all about getting good stuff at the best price possible.

Ryry4
01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Kuiu is the way I'd go. Good quality, and made in Canada not China if you can believe it. And they support the hunting industry.

nube
01-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Im shocked Nube that your not outfitted to the gills with gear. You have posted some pretty incredible hunts and I would have assumed you would have a pretty good system already figured out for yourself.

Yup, I am still old school and never really looked at what I had for gear much. I basically always just took too much extra when it came to cloths and jackets and put too many layers on if I had to. With all of the new high teck stuff out these days I really don't keep up with what is a good system. I took a couple buddies out and killed a couple sheep not too long ago and found out I am getting older and it is harder to climb the hills. If I can cut back some weight and have better stuff then why not. The problem is that it costs a pile and who wants to throw away money and get crap that is not up to snuff. I just was curious to see what others have. I hear a lot of guys get excited about Sitka stuff but it seems that there could be a better route than that.

Thanks for the info guys. It seems like a good topic for sure.

Duk Dog
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
I've had a lot of trial and error over the years. Some gear that was simply junk, other gear that is great but too bulky/heavy for packing around (but great for other types of hunting), so in the past couple years I have been switching to Kuiu. So far I have been happy with it. My only complaint would be that I find some of their merino tops to be a bit itchy. I haven't tried Sitka at all.

ksteed17
01-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Kuiu is the way I'd go. Good quality, and made in Canada not China if you can believe it. And they support the hunting industry.

Unfortunately not anymore but I havent noticed a quality drop and you get your gear faster.

http://blog.kuiu.com/2012/10/17/vertical-supply-chain-post-follow-up/

fishtank
01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
add a wool sweater to your luggage , it's one of my must have on any hunting trip keep me dry and warm.

Ryry4
01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately not anymore but I havent noticed a quality drop and you get your gear faster.

Well that sucks.

Stinky Coyote
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM

lol, nube beat me to it and i think being a bit modest, i was going to say old school with the caveat 'more go than show' i have a buddy that resembles that also...tougher than me thats forsure, just doesn't put the thought into the gear he maybe should but he's got more 'go' and 'kill' than just about anyone else i know, nube strikes me as part of that same club ha ha

Stinky Coyote
01-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Well that sucks.

lol, whats worse, pay more for that or go to mec? ;)

Ryry4
01-31-2013, 12:53 PM
lol, whats worse, pay more for that or go to mec? ;)

I'd gladly give my money to companies that keep people in Canada and the US employed, even if it is more money. As far as MEC goes they can pound sand.

Stinky Coyote
01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd gladly give my money to companies that keep people in Canada and the US employed, even if it is more money. As far as MEC goes they can pound sand.

i got no issue with supporting local industry at more price, i would be interested in any technical hunt clothes that ISN'T camo so that generally rules out sitka/kuiu which i can generally find equivelants for way less moula at the mountain gear shops, if its all coming from china anyhow so why pay more unless just for camo pattern?

don't get me wrong, i know some real killing sob's that have that stuff too, its their money and preference, just giving a more practical option/opinion is all

Ryry4
01-31-2013, 01:25 PM
i got no issue with supporting local industry at more price, i would be interested in any technical hunt clothes that ISN'T camo so that generally rules out sitka/kuiu which i can generally find equivelants for way less moula at the mountain gear shops, if its all coming from china anyhow so why pay more unless just for camo pattern?

don't get me wrong, i know some real killing sob's that have that stuff too, its their money and preference, just giving a more practical option/opinion is all

I hear ya, if camo isn't crucial there are other options. Kuiu does have some nice options in non camo colors too.

nube
01-31-2013, 07:03 PM
lol, nube beat me to it and i think being a bit modest, i was going to say old school with the caveat 'more go than show' i have a buddy that resembles that also...tougher than me thats forsure, just doesn't put the thought into the gear he maybe should but he's got more 'go' and 'kill' than just about anyone else i know, nube strikes me as part of that same club ha ha

Thanks Stink lol I used to love killing sheep and I still do but I think I finally hit that part that part of my life when I need to slow down a bit as well. I have shot enough rams in my life that I really don't need to shoot another. Heck I even spent a few days this year to climb a few hills and get within shooting range of a decent legal ram and let him walk. 10 years ago that ram would have been in big trouble. I even saw rams a couple miles from me at the end of the valley and I didn't even think about going to chase them. I didn't have a trail and the snow was a foot deep lol Pretty bad excuses I think. I'm getting soft.

I just figured it was better to get some decent gear now. I think there is a lot out there and will be putting some items a try for sure. Thanks for the input guys.

BigJon
01-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Check out Taiga gear...google "Taiga works." I think it's pretty good gear and it is made in Canada, which I like to believe means a higher level of QC. Decent prices as well.

bsmitty27
01-31-2013, 10:17 PM
Mec is not the Devil, and they have great products.
Costco brings in a merino wool base layer every once in a while for 20.00. Load if you see them. I love seeing guys with camo everything. How many camo gloves and flashlights get lost every year. 8-)
Brad

Roughneck Country
02-01-2013, 05:50 AM
[QUOTE=nube;1828904]I used to love killing sheep and I still do but I think I finally hit that part that part of my life when I need to slow down a bit as well. I have shot enough rams in my life that I really don't need to shoot another. Heck I even spent a few days this year to climb a few hills and get within shooting range of a decent legal ram and let him walk. 10 years ago that ram would have been in big trouble. I even saw rams a couple miles from me at the end of the valley and I didn't even think about going to chase them. I didn't have a trail and the snow was a foot deep lol Pretty bad excuses I think. I'm getting soft.
QUOTE]

Would love to have just one shot opportunity for a Big Horn! I can guarentee if I saw one several miles up the drainage I would be after it through waist deep snow if I had to. Spent enough time scouting around for them just can't get on one thats legal. Makes me druel when I hear guys that have an area figured out and have several chances :)

As for the MEC stuff, I was going to mention before I have their hiking pants and find them as good if not better than several of the more expensive brands, would prefer to support a hunting company like KUIU but sometimes you cant beat the price. Also I have found a lot of small mom and pops type outfits on-line that make specialty stuff. Titanium Goat, Wyoming Lost & Found, to name a couple that have backpacking camping gear and light weight.

Bearen09
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Ya it just doesn't fit the same..... Very disapointed to say the least.

Sportsman
02-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Have you looked at any of the Core4Element products? Watch Camofire.com for great deals or Blackovis.com. They are really good products for the money.

Hunting Guy
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Well that sucks.
They are made in Japan now, at least not china

TOG
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Russell gear? Such as their Whiteout jacket? I have heard good things about their stuff but have not tried it my self.