PDA

View Full Version : Great Canadian fishing lures.

Cal
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
I know in this part of the country everyone loves the Len Thompson spoons but I was wondering what other Canadian made lures people are having good luck with?

I've done pretty well with the Williams wabler in 50-50 pattern both through the ice and in open water, as well as their Trophy spoon in silver and red. Interested in hearing about some other peoples favorites.

Guitarplayingfish
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
I know in this part of the country everyone loves the Len Thompson spoons but I was wondering what other Canadian made lures people are having good luck with?

I've done pretty well with the Williams wabler in 50-50 pattern both through the ice and in open water, as well as their Trophy spoon in silver and red. Interested in hearing about some other peoples favorites.

I love williams wablers... Probably my favorite brand of all time.

Hunter Trav
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Canadian wigglers made by Lindquist Bros. as well as the other two types you mentioned...

chriscosta
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM

good for all gamefish lol its true

JReed
01-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Buzz bombs for trout!

fisherman420
01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
The 5o Diamonds is my all around favorite lure. Works wonders for all gamefish and you can fish the Len Thompson spoons so many different ways. I even convinced the boss to get some company hooks made that I designed and they work awesome!

FishingMOM
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
I heard a rumour that the lures BBJ work like no ones business.
Best part is they are Made by someone we can trust here in Alberta

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=164196

Safety D
01-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Lucky strike half wave spoon is one of my favorites.

Cal
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM

Great spoons but IMO they dont quite have the "all around goodness" of the Len Thompson. I do however love them because many Canadian lures, even the Len Thompsons, are simply a very good version of somthing that was invented elsewhere. Most of the Williams designs however are unique, IMO making them a truely "Canadian" lure.

Teamprotz
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Favorite pike spoon was made in Manitoba , the Platt Wiggle Devil. Not sure if they are even in business anymore , but I would definitely like more in chrome please !

Benelli1
01-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Canadian wigglers made by Lindquist Bros. as well as the other two types you mentioned...

x2

Wild&Free
01-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Gibbs, Coho and Kitimat spoons have always been dependable fall back options for me when salmon and steelhead fishing.

Big Red 250
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Waterhen Specials were made in Manitoba, were great for catching walleye in rivers, Lots of flash for fishing in murky water.

Esox
01-31-2013, 02:43 PM
I heard a rumour that the lures BBJ work like no ones business.
Best part is they are Made by someone we can trust here in Alberta

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=164196

They are ASSEMBLED in alberta, from seeing the components, the majority are made in china and the states. HUGE difference between assembled in Canada and made in Canada.

Speckle55
01-31-2013, 03:14 PM

agree:sHa_shakeshout:

David:)

Cal
01-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Gibbs, Coho and Kitimat spoons have always been dependable fall back options for me when salmon and steelhead fishing.

Anyone use the Gibbs Crocs with any success? I bought a few just to try next year, a shameless rip off of the Krocodile spoons in every possible way so they should catch fish. I like that they offer spoons in the same size but with different weights so you can have deeper and shallower running spoons. An interesting fun fact, Gibbs is now owned by Len Thompson.

ELECTRIC FISHER
01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
I am all about the Northland Buzz baits, They seem to work in every weedy hole I throw them in.

The Fisherman Guy
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Lyman Lures

http://www.lymanlures.com/

I've caught a lot of fish on all sizes of Lyman plugs. Rainbows, Bulls, Lakers, Salmon and Pike. Great plugs, fun to fish and full of action.

Handmade in Kelowna, BC.

BeeGuy
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Anyone use the Gibbs Crocs with any success? I bought a few just to try next year, a shameless rip off of the Krocodile spoons in every possible way so they should catch fish. I like that they offer spoons in the same size but with different weights so you can have deeper and shallower running spoons. An interesting fun fact, Gibbs is now owned by Len Thompson.

For many years Krok's, Cleo's, and blue fox all silver #2 spinners were all that I carried.

They are good but I prefer a Cleo in most applications. Put
Me on a big river and I'll bomb a Krok though.

Have only used them as a flasher through the ice.

nightcrawler
01-31-2013, 04:19 PM

I didn't realize the Gibbs were a ripoff, but I love them. The bright orange has rarely let me down when fishin the bow for bows! I have tried the Krocodile spoons without anywhere near the luck I get from Gibbs. I would say that 80 percent of my spoons are Gibbs and Len Thompson.....

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
They are ASSEMBLED in alberta, from seeing the components, the majority are made in china and the states. HUGE difference between assembled in Canada and made in Canada.

Actually no it's all made in Canada . And all my jigs and bucktails , large musky spinners are all hand made and assembled in Alberta , I gladly invite you for a coffee if you care to . Nothing to hide , only thing that I assemble that come per made are spoons .

The Great White Hype
01-31-2013, 06:26 PM

My favorite as well. I love my Wabler W50 in Electric blue! Wild hook.

Also, love the bully... Its weight allows for long distance casts and it flutters through the water like no other.

Cal
01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Lyman Lures

I've caught a lot of fish on all sizes of Lyman plugs. Rainbows, Bulls, Lakers, Salmon and Pike. Great plugs, fun to fish and full of action.

Handmade in Kelowna, BC.

I bought a few of these at a garage sale a long time ago, back when Coal Lake was still a great pike fishery. I can think of a couple monsters that were caught on those things. Weird action, they didnt so much "wiggle" as "zoom around" in big side to side swipes, you could fish them like a popper too, the pike loved em.

The Lucky strike Pike minnow is another lure I've nailed some nice pike on. I had one where the lip got a little loose on it, it would periodicly break its regular wiggle and make a long dart off to the side. If you put that thing in front of a pike it didnt even have a choice, it just had to hit it.

Pixel Shooter
01-31-2013, 07:52 PM
5 a diamonds pretty tough to beat, luv my Lyman plugs and panther martins..........

pikergolf
01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Williams whitefish spoon, the only lure pike are not allowed to say no to.

jeffrey929
01-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Pelican Lures

Cal
02-01-2013, 05:20 AM
5 a diamonds pretty tough to beat, luv my Lyman plugs and panther martins..........

I didnt know Panther Martins were Canadian, last time I buy a mepps!

Wild&Free
02-01-2013, 08:21 AM

I totally forgot about the Crocs, They've been first choice lures on the Morice for steelhead by many of my friends. Hammered brass with an orange stripe.

tacklerunner
02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Lyman Lures

Handmade in Kelowna, BC.

x2. Lost my last #37 last year to a Kootenay hog gerrard. Was my fave but they don't make it anymore. Purple scale on green, pink stripe on white.

shanks
02-01-2013, 09:01 AM
good ol russian hook. Caught walleye, perch,trout and Jacks on it.

Winch101
02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Heddon RiverRunt and Lazy Ike from the 30's and 40's

Still this generation of fish think they are. New .

EZM
02-02-2013, 02:27 PM
There is no better trolling lure for Lakers than a good old reliable William Wobber trailing behind a dodger (instead of a big flasher). Any silver plated and color combination including the 5 of diamonds yellow/red.

Lyman's are also one of my favorite, they trail behind a full size flasher and are deadly on Gerhard's at Kootenay Lake. I like the rainbow pattern, black, black/purple for bows.

I also like the old reliable hoochie in trolling for trout. Tiger shrimp with tinsel pattern in different colors.

Cal
02-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Just wondering where you got your info on Panther Martins. All I could dredge up on google was a few people griping about how much better they were befor they moved their plant from somewhere in europe to china. Back to Mepps I go.

Wiggle Devil
06-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Favorite pike spoon was made in Manitoba , the Platt Wiggle Devil. Not sure if they are even in business anymore , but I would definitely like more in chrome please !
Platt Wiggle Devil is alive and well. Contact me for more info.

fisho_badyk
06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Kamloopers spoons have always done well for me in cold high mountain lakes, besides the streams i've fished 'em in. They're heavy as hell, and can be cast a bloody mile

Nakoda boater
06-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Kamloopers spoons have always done well for me in cold high mountain lakes, besides the streams i've fished 'em in. They're heavy as hell, and can be cast a bloody mile

Your darn toot'in!
Caught a huge hog of a Bull in the upper K. last fall close to shore, I was hoot'in and holr'in and all the while I had hikers watching me. I was kinda embarrassed to say the least...

yada
06-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Angler's Choice

They are famous for their "Kill Shot" one of the best drop shot baits.

Northern Bob
06-29-2013, 10:38 AM
I was going to say Kamloopers as well, but they are made by the Acme Tackle Company based in Rhode Island. I found the same thing as you. Cold high mountain lakes for cutthroats. Nothing better that I found.

KegRiver
06-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Just wondering where you got your info on Panther Martins. All I could dredge up on google was a few people griping about how much better they were befor they moved their plant from somewhere in europe to china. Back to Mepps I go.

I believe Panther Martin lures originated in the USA.
I was able to find that the logo, U.S. patent #3185848 and tradename, U.S. patent #3185847 was patented in the USA some time in 1958

The Panther Martin trade name is owned by Harrison-Hoge Industries of Port Jefferson, NY.

From the Panther Martin website;

Harrison-Hoge Industries is the owner of the Panther Martin trademark only in the United States, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, the Peoples Republic of China, Singapore, South Korea, and Vietnam and its sales under the Panther Martin trademark are limited to those countries

In Canada Panther Marten lures distributed by;

Harrison Tackle Company
140 Doncaster Avenue Thornhill, ON

The Harrison Tackle Company may be a distributor for Harrison-Hoge Industries or they may get their lures built in some third world country under license from Harrison-Hoge Industries but I could find nothing to confirm either.

Wiggle Devil
05-05-2014, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=Teamprotz;1828290]Favorite pike spoon was made in Manitoba , the Platt Wiggle Devil. Not sure if they are even in business anymore , but I would definitely like more

We now have the lure back in production they are available in Silver And Gold
If you would like us to send you some let me know
Tks
Wiggle Devil

gnugen
05-06-2014, 04:40 PM

Hate to jump on my own soap box but GNUGEN Lures is Edmonton-based. Our 'Mariko' spoon and soft plastics are catching bass, trout, walleye and pike across North America. We'd love to see more local guys checking out our gear and bugging stores to carry our stuff.