PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish at Pigeon Lake?????

Lady White
01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone!
This is my first time starting a post so here I go!
My family use to alway fish at Pigeon Lake. Now I can't catch a whitefish if my life depended on it? I know there was a summer kill but..... They did pull nets and managed to get 55 to 70 whites per net so that tells they are there! Where are they hiding. I have been going to Gull Lake cause it is to hard to find them on Pigeon. Any ideas where they are? Please help me with this!

Safety D
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Same thing as me. Always could catch them 10 years ago. They wont even take a sniff at the same baits I used back then also. Better just to buy some of the commercial guys and concentrate on other species.

fishtank
01-31-2013, 05:18 PM
might be in deeper waters ?? i have no luck with em :(

Lady White
01-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Tried deep, tried shallow, tried green, blue, red, yellow wire worms! Have seen so few this year before they netted though they were all dead!

dragon
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
I honestly thing that the repetitive summer kills and especially last years put a major dent in the population of whitefish. Between the low numbers at pigeon and the relatively better conditions at lakes such as gull they are not being targeted much.

Also this summers fish kill was big... My guess is when you wipe out that many fish that the survivors have plenty of natural food to feed on. but that is simply my opinion.

Safety D
02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Lake is filthy full of whites. they just dont want to bite ???

bwackwabbit
02-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Take a page outta the fly guys book. Buy a few from the commercial guys, inspect stomach contents and try to match.

A fellow member posted what he found inside some Sylvan whites (cased caddis)
When I used an imitation tied on as a dropper to a gold bell it was "ON".
I tried just the gold bell same day same spot and got a lot o' looks but no bites.

Cheers.

fishtank
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
go to gull , you'll have better chance there :)

Lady White
02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Thank is exactly where I'll be tomorrow living the ice fishing dream. :sHa_shakeshout: