PDA

View Full Version : Eskimo Ion - Gull Lake Saturday

Lady White
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm a small lady and have a really hard time drilling holes with a gas auger, should I spend the money on an Ion? Is it worth it? Let me know! I will be out on Gull on Saturday if someone has one could I try it? Is this an option? Please help me decide. I go fishing every weekend but only drill 2 to 5 holes because it is just too hard.:sign0176:

Lady White

sraak
01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
I bought one and love it. I've used all season, every weekend and not had a single issue. I always fish with my girlfriend and she loves it too and has no problems working with it.

I should note that I've never used gas or propane auger and this is my first powered auger. I can only compare it to an 8" hand auger.

I've drilled 15 holes in ~24" of ice and the power meter was still showing three of three lights.

Hope that helps.

hardcorefishingking2
01-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Its very light and i got a buddy who talks smack about the gas auger all the time and now he has nothing to say?

Its light and we were able to drill 43 holes with a full charge!

No Gas smell and no noise at all?

kinwahkly
01-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Ive used one for the past month and have had very good luck so far, light, cuts lots of ice very easily.

Ryebee
01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
If you are thinking about that route I would suggest hooking a cordless drill up to your hand auger with the inexpensive accessory. Provided you've got a spare battery or two you'll be good to go.

Path_finder
01-31-2013, 11:35 PM
If you are thinking about that route I would suggest hooking a cordless drill up to your hand auger with the inexpensive accessory. Provided you've got a spare battery or two you'll be good to go.

Would this inexpensive accessory be available at Wholesale sports? The Fishin Hole? or anywhere else? This is exactly what I need.

Ryebee
02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
I've seen them at Wholesale and the Fishin Hole. Fishin hole had them for 20 bucks. Here is a link:

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=27234

riverfisher
02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
The drill attachment is completely useless! I used it on a swede bore 8 inche hand auger. Used a top of th line Dewault 18v drill from work and it damn near killed the drill. Blades were sharp on my auger and i was not pushing down any harder than needed to cut through the ice. It wud prolly be better used one a 6 inch or smaller. Just my two bits, anybody else have that problem?

pikeslayer22
02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
had a bet with my cousin he couldnt drill a hole through 2 feet of ice with one he did it but it took forever and his battery was done after one hole! If Electric power is so good why are whe driving around in fossil fueled automobiles??

Jamie Black R/T
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
had a bet with my cousin he couldnt drill a hole through 2 feet of ice with one he did it but it took forever and his battery was done after one hole! If Electric power is so good why are whe driving around in fossil fueled automobiles??

was this with an ion auger or a electric drill attachment?

i saw a guy on the ice with an ION a few weeks back....it drilled faster than my jiffy and he busted probably 10-15 holes while i was out there.

sraak
02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
My guess is electric drill attachment.

I tried that with very very poor results, not nearly enough torque from my drill. An ION can do 2ft no problem and without slowing down.