PDA

View Full Version : prarie meats Coaldale/ 2 and a half months

lyons6
01-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Second week of november I dropped off a small whitetail at prarie meats. ordered minimum batch of jerky and some garlic sausage. I asked when abouts it would be ready, the reply I got was before christmas. The week befor christmas I gave them a call to see how my order was doing, they had not even started it yet. I was told I would be given a call soon when it was done. I thought ok thats fine things happen. Well after waiting and waiting today I called them, fully expecting to hear that they had forgot to call me or something. Instead there was 5 minutes of silence on the other end of the phone as they were trying to locate my order. finaly i was told my cuts were packed and in the freezer, and they had an order of sausage being made today so I "should" be able to pick it up tomorrow. Needless to say I am a little ****ed. Has anyone had this happen to them at another butcher? would I be out of line to ask for some sort of discount?

Ryry4
01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
I've had sausage done there, and they were a couple months before I got my meat back. They seem to be very busy there. They make great sausage, hopefully yours turns out good.

bruceba
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Dropped my animals off 4 days after the season closed. They were running at max and that's when there was room for me. Picked the cuts up last week and they're doing my sasauge in a couple weeks when they get caught up.
Hazards of not having the time to cut your own. I've had my sasauge done there since Mountian quit cutting. No complaints.

SouthernBowHunter
01-31-2013, 06:31 PM
I get plenty of beef brought there they are extremely busy and have to follow inspected slaughter

M70
01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm getting jerky and sausage done there. With the closure of Mountain Sausage a couple of seasons ago, they must be extremely busy. Other than the wait, I've been pretty happy with their product. I do miss the metwurst that they used to make at Mountain Sausage, though.

npauls
01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
I dropped my deboned whitetail off there the last week of hunting season and haven't heard anything back yet. I called them a couple weeks ago and they said it should be done in the next few weeks.

This is my first deer so I have no idea what kind of time length it should normally be.

lyons6
01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
For those that have taken game there and waited 2 months. Did they tell you it would take that long ?

baptiste_moose
01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Called 5-6 butchers for a buddy's cow elk ( just trimmings ) and I was told 2-3 months from just about all of them!

Piker
01-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Having used them before it is very normal for the waits. Their main business is beef and so game comes second. I know they should tell you this but thats the way it is. They put out a quality product which is not cheap so I do all my own now. For you guys out there check it out its fun its a hobby you know what you are getting can be done way cheaper than any butcher and can be done at your leisure. I may have $375 invested in my equipment which paid for itself a long time ago. Piker

Tabers Best
01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
You have to call. Two years in a row they forgot to call. 2 years ago the honey garlic pepperoni i ordered had hot spices in it foresure (it actually wasn't too bad). This year I brought in 34 pounds of trim from my mule deer, to get made into sausage with 30 percent pork and I recieved 32 puonds back yet paid for 50lbs. I was going with a cold smoke and the salami was supposed to have nominal shrinkage. Didn't call him because I would have had problems staying calm. Rip off... good product but never again. I would say weigh your product.

Badgoodguy
01-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Wow I waited 10 days for my cow elk to be done in GP and it is awesome Terry at Wapiti meats does a grea job and the sausage is great

lyons6
01-31-2013, 09:31 PM
If your that busy why not just say it!

newguy
01-31-2013, 10:15 PM
Ryan from Beaver Mines is without a doubt, one of the best jerky makers i have ever used!! i dropped off a small whitetail buck nov 30 and he had that done in under a week. he is a solid guy who i wouldn't hesitate to reccomend to anyone. his prices are fair and that jerky, did i mention the jerky? wow!

Dadirk
01-31-2013, 10:45 PM
Just east of BowIsland you will find TLC farms they have a meat cutting,jerky,and sausage shop. Lyn and Allister are the owners they have Derrick a top notch cutter and sausage guy working there. We dropped two elks worth of grinding and sausage meat off and had Summer Sausage, pepperoni both sticks and pizza style made as well as farmers sausage and it took just over 3 weeks. Give Lyn a call 403-832-2541 service is great and prices are very fair.

lyons6
02-01-2013, 11:21 AM
So I picked up my order today and I can say in the end I'm very pleased. Product looks good and I was given a discount without even saying a thing. I really appreciate them recognizing they made a mistake and I know now to call sooner in the future!

jryley
02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Piker do you mind listing everything you need to get going making your own sausage? Im absolutely getting into this coming season but am starting from zero and dont really know the must haves versus the wants if you get my drift. I get mine done in beaumont but the guy is so slammed all the time im gonna see if i can figure out his pork to game ratio ;)

kra176
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Piker do you mind listing everything you need to get going making your own sausage? Im absolutely getting into this coming season but am starting from zero and dont really know the must haves versus the wants if you get my drift. I get mine done in beaumont but the guy is so slammed all the time im gonna see if i can figure out his pork to game ratio ;)

Basically, you just need a grinder with a sauage attachment (looks like a plastic funnel), a few platic tubs and you are in business. Alot of people use a stuffer but I grind the game and pork, mix in the spice then run it through the grinder again to stuff the casings, it is very easy to do. You can build a smokehouse in a few hours, I use a propane tiger torch for heat control and you got sausage. Lot's of info on-line on how to make sausage. You can buy prepackaged spice and casings from most meat supply shops.

Mike_W
02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Only animal I take to be butchered our my elk usually due to temperature reasons.

This year I rought in my dads full elk Tuesday and mine on the Thursday and picked up both Saturday ....no sausage made but 30 lbs of jerky and hamburger other than the steaks and roasts.

This wasn't the butcher shop in question but I would think that's about the best service possible!!

kra176
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Basically, you just need a grinder with a sauage attachment (looks like a plastic funnel), a few platic tubs and you are in business. Alot of people use a stuffer but I grind the game and pork, mix in the spice then run it through the grinder again to stuff the casings, it is very easy to do. You can build a smokehouse in a few hours, I use a propane tiger torch for heat control and you got sausage. Lot's of info on-line on how to make sausage. You can buy prepackaged spice and casings from most meat supply shops.

I run about 50/50 with pork, found you can get awsome trim from Costco (comes in a case - about 50 lbs), very nice pork. Also made some salami's this year with moose, used about 3" casings, it turned out great, now I'm hungry.

Piker
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
jryley.. It all depends how much you are going to do. I have a 1/2 h.p. meat grinder which is supposed to do 175 lbs. per hour. For me thats lots. They vary in price from $99.00 to $149.00. I also have a 5 lb. stuffer which I consider a must because stuffing with a grinder sucks as the texture is awful and is way harder to do. It cost me $99.00. I also have a meat mixer which cost around a $100.00 but it is so hard to clean I do not use it unless I am doing a very large batch. Hand mixing for 10 or 15 lb. batches is not hard. There are many extras you can get which you will discover as you get more exsperienced and are not too costly. I have a Bradley smoker but do most of my cooked sausage in the oven in cold weather. With recipes pick a basic one then add the spices you like and experiment. Ita a great hobby. You know what you are getting. Just did 30 lbs with a friend today venison, pork, garlic and it was great Good Luck Piker