PDA

View Full Version : Cruiser Safaris

LiegeRiver
02-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Wasn't there someone from AO who went with Cruiser's awhile back??? I would really appreciate a PM so we can have a chat about things.....Africa. Cause, ITS ON!! I'm going within the next two years or so. Lovey is coming with me (so far), but I'm going regardless. :sHa_shakeshout:

LR

nube
02-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I have an outfitter you might want to check out a well if your interested. That being said I have heard a few good things about Cruiser as well.

Donny Bear
02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
I know nothing but what I have heard from others so this is how I went about booking my hunt!

I think it's best to get a full list of references.
I too finally bit the bullet booked the last week of March first week of April 2014 I sent this simple email to every referance they gave me and went back 4 years to check consistancy. Another thing I had decided was not to trust any outfitter that wanted the balance prior to my arrival, in the end the outfitter we chose says "a happy hunter is not the goal but rather an exstatic hunter" final payment due at time of departure when you are beyond happy!
How the hides are preped for shipping is very important IMHO and for me it was good to know that the whole salting, drying and pest control process was done at and by the outfitter almost every single hunter had thier trophies within 12 weeks the one exception was a issue with a lion that caused delays but the hunter assured me it was a government official not the outfitter that caused the delay the lion was in the US in 25 weeks which is still better than many stories I have heard.
Oh and I would never get the taxidermy work done in Africa.

This was my email I did not want to overwhelm the hunters with questions and get no answers.

TJ's referance also helped

Good day My name is ____________ I am just looking for a bit of feed back on -__________________ Hunting Safaris they have Identified you as a referance and I just have a couple questions

How was the experiance ?

How long did it take to get your trophies and what was the condition of the Cape, Hide's ?

Any complaints from your Taxidermist about them? (no answer required if taxidermy was completed in Africa)

Thanks you feedback will be appreciated.

my Name

Jameson340
02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Girl friend is going with them in April right away, they sound awesome.

Torkdiesel
02-01-2013, 06:50 PM
I know nothing but what I have heard from others so this is how I went about booking my hunt!

I think it's best to get a full list of references.
I too finally bit the bullet booked the last week of March first week of April 2014 I sent this simple email to every referance they gave me and went back 4 years to check consistancy. Another thing I had decided was not to trust any outfitter that wanted the balance prior to my arrival, in the end the outfitter we chose says "a happy hunter is not the goal but rather an exstatic hunter" final payment due at time of departure when you are beyond happy!
How the hides are preped for shipping is very important IMHO and for me it was good to know that the whole salting, drying and pest control process was done at and by the outfitter almost every single hunter had thier trophies within 12 weeks the one exception was a issue with a lion that caused delays but the hunter assured me it was a government official not the outfitter that caused the delay the lion was in the US in 25 weeks which is still better than many stories I have heard.
Oh and I would never get the taxidermy work done in Africa.

This was my email I did not want to overwhelm the hunters with questions and get no answers.

TJ's referance also helped

Good day My name is ____________ I am just looking for a bit of feed back on -__________________ Hunting Safaris they have Identified you as a referance and I just have a couple questions

How was the experiance ?

How long did it take to get your trophies and what was the condition of the Cape, Hide's ?

Any complaints from your Taxidermist about them? (no answer required if taxidermy was completed in Africa)

Thanks you feedback will be appreciated.

my Name

Just a quick question for you. Why wouldn't you get Taxidermy work done there ? Good luck on your safari, I love Africa.

Donny Bear
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Just a quick question for you. Why wouldn't you get Taxidermy work done there ? Good luck on your safari, I love Africa.

Seen to many sad out comes with no hope of any compensation I just would never leave it to chance!Plus what you might save in cost you lose in shipping but I have seen some horrible work!

mcreg
02-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Seen to many sad out comes with no hope of any compensation I just would never leave it to chance!Plus what you might save in cost you lose in shipping but I have seen some horrible work!

Absloutely there has been some herendous work done by some taxidermists. By the same token there has been some absolutely horrific hunts provided by some Outfitters! Yet you're still going over there? SO neither should you let that stop you from having YOUR TAXIDERMY done over there! Check out their references as you have done with the PH you hire.
I have used Red Dune Taxidermy for years, as have the fellows that come with me, and never have I seen less than perfect work. As well, your landed costs typically are about 70% of equivalent N/A costs.
ON THE OTHER HAND - if you have a Canadian taxidermist that you like & trust 100% - it likely isn't worth the savings?

Jameson340
02-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Girl friend is going with them in April right away, they sound awesome.

Sorry she is actually going with crusader safaris

mountainhunter
02-02-2013, 08:56 AM
I went with Cruisers in September, great outfit. Lots of animals and they try hard to get you the animals you're looking for. The main camp was set up very well with a great atmosphere. Food was also very good.

kiren
02-13-2013, 08:22 AM
I hve heard the same thing ,, it seems like very few people have had good luck with Taxidermy being done in Africa,,. and in reality it shouldnt paint all of them with the same brush,, but thats how people think and work,,
if 7 or 8 stories out of 10 are bad,, then they tend to cross the whole thing out, and go where 7 or 8 stories out of 10 ARE good.
Higher chance of getting a good product.
A friend had his Zebra shoulder mount done there and he received it in a horrific condition, all cracked up around the nose and pretty ugly,,, and after mnths of chasing them down,, he could only get a tanned zebra cape back that he had to spend another top dollar to get done here..

thumper
02-13-2013, 04:55 PM
I was pleased with the taxidermy work I had done in Africa. It's not as outstanding as some I've seen done here in Alberta - and done by some very fine sponsors of this site:), but for my purposes and in my price bracket - I was very satisfied. It also enabled me to use local African woods, artistry and crafts.

I was particularly pleased to be able to contribute to employment of Africans so that they realize more value from wildlife and hunting. If wildlife didn't generate income in many parts of Africa, wildlife would not survive on the landscape.

Just something to consider when making your decision.

LiegeRiver
02-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I really appreciate them. I have an excellent taxidermist here in Alberta that I will use, as his African work is very, very good. Just a question, who did you guys use for a Customs Broker to get your stuff through Customs, and how did that go? How much did it cost? If you cleared it yourself, how did that go? Thanks.

Gord

nube
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
I use Talon Industries for mine. I am in the process of getting my critters boxed up and sent home now. $1750 roughly is the quote I got which I think is fair. As long as I have no problems and I get my cat home I will be happy!