PDA

View Full Version : Using someone's ice shack they left on the lake??

Whiteysonly
02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Ok so a guy at work says, " You don't need to buy an ice shack, just use one left on the lake". He says just use with respect. So my question how would you guys feel if someone used your shanty on the lake? For the record I don't plan on doing this.

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 07:45 PM
You'll get a beatn if i catch ya,,,,

What a BS attitude

What happened to respect these days....if it aint yours...dont touch it

Pass this on to ur aquaintance...I'm pretty sure he aint ur close friend I assume

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 07:47 PM
I dont see any problem in that.

The issue is the guys that dont use with respect

Whiteysonly
02-01-2013, 07:49 PM
You'll get a beatn if i catch ya,,,,

What a BS attitude

What happened to respect these days....if it aint yours...dont touch it

Pass this on to ur aquaintance...I'm pretty sure he aint ur close friend I assume

By you sayin "you'll" I assume you meant people in general not me, but as I said a "guy from work" not my friend

hal53
02-01-2013, 07:51 PM

seriously???

BeeGuy
Derailment in 5..4...3..2...

Hey Mentalgiant,

where's your shack?

MtnGiant
By you sayin "you'll" I assume you meant people in general not me, but as I said a "guy from work" not my friend

Yes... I did not mean you....
And Mr Bee....how can u possibly condone breaking and entering?
Cause thats what it is....most shacks are locked

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Derailment in 5..4...3..2...

Hey Mentalgiant,

where's your shack?

Hey Bumble Bee....

It's on Spray Lake....so dont come near
and it aint got no bee's for you to poach there

And I'll be there this wknd...again

thorne
02-01-2013, 07:53 PM

The issue is using someone's property without permission. If a guy has a note saying "Open to general public, use with respect" Cool. If not and you don't know who's it is...leave it alone. If not out of respect for your own safety. I know some individuals would be very inhospitable if they showed up on the ice for an afternoon of fishing and found someone was set up in their shack!! Regardless if its right, wrong, lawful, or what ever.....its just plain stupid to chance that. Sorry Bee....gotta disagree with you on this one.

hal53
02-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Thee BEE has been here since May 2011 for one reason only, and he's done it again. It is getting a little old...so I will respond no more....

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 07:58 PM
I was thinking more from a perspective of finding someone in my shack, not making use of one myself.

If they were using it respectfully, cool.

If not, they better share their rum.

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Hey Bumble Bee....

It's on Spray Lake....so dont come near

And I'll be there this wknd...again

I was under the impression the only permanent shacks on spray were for the guides.

How's the fishin? Anything of size?

338Bluff
02-01-2013, 08:01 PM
OOOHHHH. I can feel the love:sHa_shakeshout:

When I was a kid nobody locked their shacks at Parkland. We pretty much fished where we wanted to. When the owner showed up we would vacate after a BS session and do something else. Bonus for the owner is we usually had the stove stoked and the hole cleared.

Helped that everyone pretty much knew or knew of everybody else.

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 08:10 PM
I was under the impression the only permanent shacks on spray were for the guides.

How's the fishin? Anything of size?

Nope....several permanent shacks

Fishn is awesome there and in a beautiful part of AB

Its my fave place

Had a big lunker get off line last wknd....try for him again tmoro

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Yes... I did not mean you....
And Mr Bee....how can u possibly condone breaking and entering?
Cause thats what it is....most shacks are locked

Again, obviously what I was thinking was not conveyed well.

I dont think anyone should be messin around without an invite. I just personally wouldnt mind if I found someone using my stuff respectfully.

Ever hike into a back country or remote lake and find a canoe on shore?

You know, it wasn't mine, but I still took it for a spin.

One time we found one at the end of the White Sail FSR beside this little lake, had a 2x2 and some plywood for a paddle. Next time in we left a new paddle.

Although I understand where you guys are coming from, there are places in this country where not everyone is going to steal your gear or trash your stuff.

Mntgiant, I am surprised that most people would lock their shack.

bwackwabbit
02-01-2013, 08:13 PM
I have one, its unlocked and anyone in need is free to use it but again w/respect (leave it as you found it).

Similar to this site, community can be a great and powerful thing. I go by do unto others right up until I'm given reason not to. If a "shanty town" is a community like this we each watch out for the other's shack and police violators as need be. I have had no problems w/mine to date.

Cheers.

BeeGuy
Nope....several permanent shacks

Fishn is awesome there and in a beautiful part of AB

Its my fave place

Had a big lunker get off line last wknd....try for him again tmoro

You using stingers?

MtnGiant
OOOHHHH. I can feel the love:sHa_shakeshout:

When I was a kid nobody locked their shacks at Parkland. We pretty much fished where we wanted to. When the owner showed up we would vacate after a BS session and do something else. Bonus for the owner is we usually had the stove stoked and the hole cleared.

Helped that everyone pretty much knew or knew of everybody else.

Ya thats awesome...kinda like hangin out in the cabin in the woods....respect respect respect

But this aint the good ole days anymore....sorry to say....but would be nice if it was

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
You using stingers?

Mix it up....several strategies

Nothing magic....

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Never had a problem catching trout there. Just got tired of seeing the same bug eating 10-17"ers.

Seems like anything respectable is less than 1% of the population.

Woops,

derailment over.

Dear Alberta,

If you happen to find my "shack" all you need to do is hike in your own 14x8' tarp and you are welcome to use it respectfully.

BGSH
02-01-2013, 08:25 PM
I also don't see a problem with it as well, if i see one on a local lake ima use it with respect as well, take garbage, clean up after yourself etc.. also take some photos and leave them in the shake on how we make out, cheers.

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Never had a problem catching trout there. Just got tired of seeing the same bug eating 10-17"ers.

Seems like anything respectable is less than 1% of the population.

Woops,

derailment over.

Dear Alberta,

If you happen to find my "shack" all you need to do is hike in your own 14x8' tarp and you are welcome to use it respectfully.

Thats pretty cool mr bee.....I wish I could share the same sentiment in modern times....sadly I dont....but i did when i was younger and not so society wise as i am now....i kinda miss the ole days when you could say hi to someone and they said hi back....not a dirty look back

btw....nice you done good on dat lake....fishn iz awesome....still bringz out da kid in me

Donkey Oatey
02-01-2013, 08:34 PM
What ever happened to if it ain't yours or you don't know the owner leave it the ****** alone?

diamond k
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
so you can not make a hunting cabin on crown land but you put a shack on a lake and call it private property. Can i drill a hole right beside your cabin or do i get a beating for that? leave my truck idiling beside your door, does that get a beating.

I say you put a shack on the ice on a public lake it should be available for public use. That being said it should be treated with respect.

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 08:51 PM
so you can not make a hunting cabin on crown land but you put a shack on a lake and call it private property. Can i drill a hole right beside your cabin or do i get a beating for that? leave my truck idiling beside your door, does that get a beating.

I say you put a shack on the ice on a public lake it should be available for public use. That being said it should be treated with respect.

Interesting point my friend....never thought of it that way...but

its still...if it aint urs...dont touch

mtn shack are different imo....seen and bin to many....there is usually a log book inside for guests.

Mtn shacks are more permanent...ice shacks are short term and usually private

This thread does bring up some points of interest I hadnt thought about

BGSH
02-01-2013, 08:53 PM

Although leaving your car parked on the side of the road on public property does that mean i can drive it around if i treat it with respect? or a bike parked in front of the store can i do some tricks up and down the block then return it back to you, but i get what you mean, yes on a lake if a house is on the lake in winter on public ice anyone should be able to use it if you don't abuse it.

rafhone
02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
In northern parts of this country if you lock your cabin and someone's skiddo/boat/truck broke down and your door is locked... its getting bashed in. the best you can hope is they respect what is there. If someone was in my shack (its just a tent) i'd greet them friendly and take it from there. people have survival issues now and a again.

liar
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
so...... if you are walking along the dock and you see a boat with no one in it you can just jump in and use it ?
i mean , why would any one buy a boat , there are always lots at the lake .

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 08:55 PM
I find it interesting that some guys are ready to rage given the OP's example of using someone's shack with utmost respect.

It reminds me of Texas.

Y'all step across ma praperty line, I shoot to kill.

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 08:56 PM
In northern parts of this country if you lock your cabin and someone's skiddo/boat/truck broke down and your door is locked... its getting bashed in. the best you can hope is they respect what is there. If someone was in my shack (its just a tent) i'd greet them friendly and take it from there. people have survival issues now and a again.

Survival issue is a whole nother ball game.....NP w/ dat

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 08:57 PM
so...... if you are walking along the dock and you see a boat with no one in it you can just jump in and use it ?

are you familiar with the phrase reductio ad absurdum?

What I'm walking along the shore and I see that the door to your summer house is ajar, can I just move in?

rafhone
02-01-2013, 09:01 PM
even if it isn't survival and they don't plan to leave with pockets of lures, it would be kinda funny to see some kids all wide eyed and shocked.... nothing to say as they tucked their tails under their legs and left.

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I find it interesting that some guys are ready to rage given the OP's example of using someone's shack with utmost respect.

It reminds me of Texas.

Y'all step across ma praperty line, I shoot to kill.

Settle down BeeBee
We aint talkin wild west....we're talkn private property and the respect it should deserve.
Lets not turn this into a right to bear arms issue......its fishn man

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 09:04 PM
are you familiar with the phrase reductio ad absurdum?

What I'm walking along the shore and I see that the door to your summer house is ajar, can I just move in?

If I understand you correctly???
U just shot urself in da foot ma man

Gust
02-01-2013, 09:05 PM

I always enjoyed pulling up to govt docks, in a brute of a mid-sixties, 34' herring skiff when the dock was full and then tieing up longside to the swankiest vessel and walking over it to the dock to do my on land business.

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 09:06 PM
even if it isn't survival and they don't plan to leave with pockets of lures, it would be kinda funny to see some kids all wide eyed and shocked.... nothing to say as they tucked their tails under their legs and left.

people actually leave things of value inside their shack?

I was thinking a bench and maybe a propane tank fab'd into a wood stove...

rafhone
02-01-2013, 09:06 PM
that stabbing on Sylvan has affected us all....

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 09:08 PM
If I understand you correctly???
U just shot urself in da foot ma man

I am sure you misunderstood

rafhone
02-01-2013, 09:08 PM
people actually leave things of value inside their shack?

I was thinking a bench and maybe a propane tank fab'd into a wood stove...

when i leave my shack its just heater/s and rods, just useing that phrase as an example... sounded good.

rafhone
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
in before you think i buy expensive ice fishing rods...

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
hahaha

I'm a stir stick hand line kinda man myself

If anyone knows "Muskrat" from the arctic on Youtube, he has a great video of icefishing with a stick, a 3 foot string, and a spoon/hook.

They are just slamming inconnu left and right. his missus out fishes him by a large margin, hilarious

finsnfeathers
02-01-2013, 09:20 PM

LOL,...that right there is funny!!

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 09:23 PM
that stabbing on Sylvan has affected us all....

Sorry....I dont know that story

Can someone emphasise?

BGSH
02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Sorry....I dont know that story

Can someone emphasise?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/01/28/edmonton-sylvan-lake-ice-fishing-stabbing.html

safcforever
02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I also don't see a problem with it as well, if i see one on a local lake ima use it with respect as well, take garbage, clean up after yourself etc.. also take some photos and leave them in the shake on how we make out, cheers.

Very good attitude. If some chased folk away for using their shack then how would they feel if others watched as your abandoned shack get vandalized without interfering? Its nothing to do with these bystanders but I'm sure they would happily put themselves out there and stop any wrong doing

Lefty-Canuck
02-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Same thing with a tree stand left on crown land.... If I see one I leave it alone. If I walk out to my stand and someone is in it I will polite let them them know I appreciate that they warmed the seat but please hop on down.... If I get attitude I start taking out the climbing pegs...

LC

Whiteysonly
02-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow that took off! Ha ha well it would seem guys would be better off just to sit on a bucket or maybe knock on a few doors with a warm smile and cold beers.... Oh I mean pepsi's..... Then again a pop up shack isn't all that expensive

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/01/28/edmonton-sylvan-lake-ice-fishing-stabbing.html

thanx bro for cluing me in....i read it

rafhone
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Wow that took off! Ha ha well it would seem guys would be better off just to sit on a bucket or maybe knock on a few doors with a warm smile and cold beers.... Oh I mean pepsi's..... Then again a pop up shack isn't all that expensive

that sounds like a great idea sir

rafhone
02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
hahaha

I'm a stir stick hand line kinda man myself

If anyone knows "Muskrat" from the arctic on Youtube, he has a great video of icefishing with a stick, a 3 foot string, and a spoon/hook.

They are just slamming inconnu left and right. his missus out fishes him by a large margin, hilarious

I'm not familiar with Muskrat, but only bought my first ice rod this year. I was taught to ice fish with my hands... i'm going modern i guess

DiabeticKripple
02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I was thinking more from a perspective of finding someone in my shack, not making use of one myself.

If they were using it respectfully, cool.

If not, they better share their rum.

your shack is more of a "shelter" for the less fortunate ;)

Same thing with a tree stand left on crown land.... If I see one I leave it alone. If I walk out to my stand and someone is in it I will polite let them them know I appreciate that they warmed the seat but please hop on down.... If I get attitude I start taking out the climbing pegs...

LC

but do you get mad that they used it in the first place?

its one thing to just use someones shack or stand, and another to deny them entry when they do show up!

Dust1n
02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
I hate it when people use my shack. Iv been ripped off too many times on sylvan lake. People will use my shack and stick my 2x4s in the hole and it freezes in so you can't drill a whole through it so you got to move your shack to drill your hole. My dad dropped me off at the shack and a few mins later some guy comes over harping on the door thinking there's nobody in there. So I let him in after almost breaking the door and when open the door it's a guy with his son. So I invite them to fish with me, being e had his kid with him otherwise I would have told him to get lost. I haven't put my shack on for 2 years now. I woundnt mind if they didn't keep shoving 2x4s or spruce down my holes.:argue2:

MtnGiant
02-01-2013, 10:29 PM
I hate it when people use my shack. Iv been ripped off too many times on sylvan lake. People will use my shack and stick my 2x4s in the hole and it freezes in so you can't drill a whole through it so you got to move your shack to drill your hole. My dad dropped me off at the shack and a few mins later some guy comes over harping on the door thinking there's nobody in there. So I let him in after almost breaking the door and when open the door it's a guy with his son. So I invite them to fish with me, being e had his kid with him otherwise I would have told him to get lost. I haven't put my shack on for 2 years now. I woundnt mind if they didn't keep shoving 2x4s or spruce down my holes.:argue2:

BINGO!!!!
my point exactly
rudeness rudeness rudeness IS rampant
Soooo... it's me mine me in modern times.....with a few trusted friends mixed in

rafhone
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Sylvan sure sounds crapy, i feel for the guys that have been there before the whole area really started booming.

EZM
02-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Simply stated, you should not use someone else's property without their permission.

If you are fortunate to be given permission, treat it better than you would your own property.

Some guys might put on a sign "use respect" or leave a phone number to ask permission but it will only take one group of morons to ruin this person's trust in society.

Don't get me wrong - I wish it weren't that way ..... but today ...... that's where we are. People have changed.

Rhino81
02-01-2013, 11:18 PM
I have one, its unlocked and anyone in need is free to use it but again w/respect (leave it as you found it).

Similar to this site, community can be a great and powerful thing. I go by do unto others right up until I'm given reason not to. If a "shanty town" is a community like this we each watch out for the other's shack and police violators as need be. I have had no problems w/mine to date.

Cheers.x2, just leave a bottle of whisky on the chair. Use respect.

Rhino81
02-01-2013, 11:25 PM
In northern parts of this country if you lock your cabin and someone's skiddo/boat/truck broke down and your door is locked... its getting bashed in. the best you can hope is they respect what is there. If someone was in my shack (its just a tent) i'd greet them friendly and take it from there. people have survival issues now and a again.that's a rule to live by and save a life possibly. I ran equipment up north and I would leave my keys in the grader at night incase someone needed to keep warm till morning. I leave the shack open for that same reason.
f I'm not using it, go ahead. Fish your nuts off. After all, its only a shack!

Gust
02-02-2013, 12:00 AM
This is a fishing show that is real but makes fun of 70's styled fishing shows hosted by frank gifford,,, very funny.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LvXQmMf3tP0

huntingd
02-02-2013, 12:11 AM
that's a rule to live by and save a life possibly. I ran equipment up north and I would leave my keys in the grader at night incase someone needed to keep warm till morning. I leave the shack open for that same reason.
f I'm not using it, go ahead. Fish your nuts off. After all, its only a shack!

Agree.

fishtank
02-02-2013, 01:20 AM
i would leave my phone # on the shack with the combination lock, they can call me and ask permission . just a respect thing
i rent a cabin..it like a time share the general rule is that when you arrived the liqueur cabinet/fridge is stocked by the previous guest and when you leave, the fridge/liqueur stocked by you for the next guest.:)

brobinson
02-02-2013, 01:36 AM
I know that me and my buddy were planning on building a shack. A truck camper stripped with just the heater left. We were going to put a lock on it, but with a sign with both our phone numbers so if someone wanted to use it they could call and we would give them the combination. I would have no problem with somebody using it with respect. I may only be 18 but I believe that there are still outdoorsman in southern alberta that can be trusted. It's the same with a lot of trapping cabins that you guys have talked about already. They have no problem with them being used as long as its with respect. I mean, what if a guy brought his kids out and it got windy? Or super cold? I would rather him call to use our shack then take his kids home without fishing, or without his kids having a good experience.

HunterDave
02-02-2013, 01:51 AM
If it isn't yours then why would you think that it was okay to use it? If it's life or death buy all means go in and get warm, but to go out and use it for the day, I don't get where people would think that's okay?

EDMfishing
02-02-2013, 02:22 AM
If I had a Permanent shack I wouldn't mind if others were to use it with "The ut-most respect' as said by the OP.... But I'm also not going to leave ALL my gear in it.. more like NO gear... and therefore no lock on the door... A lock on the door is ONLY going to stop the people who would actually use it with RESPECT... If some 'malicious fisherperson' wants to do bad things to your shack, the lock / door is going to be the first victim...

Rhino81
02-02-2013, 02:30 AM
If I had a Permanent shack I wouldn't mind if others were to use it with "The ut-most respect' as said by the OP.... But I'm also not going to leave ALL my gear in it.. more like NO gear... and therefore no lock on the door... A lock on the door is ONLY going to stop the people who would actually use it with RESPECT... If some 'malicious fisherperson' wants to do bad things to your shack, the lock / door is going to be the first victim...
Agree. By taking all you personals out, its just a shack. I have used others and others have used mine. Lock it if you don't want other and leave it open or with a phone # if you dont mind. It is as easy as that. It's not at all like they are on your couch drinking your beer watching the game .

scel
02-02-2013, 03:47 AM
i would leave my phone # on the shack with the combination lock, they can call me and ask permission . just a respect thing
i rent a cabin..it like a time share the general rule is that when you arrived the liqueur cabinet/fridge is stocked by the previous guest and when you leave, the fridge/liqueur stocked by you for the next guest.:)

I do not ice fish, but this seems like genius. I am going to chime in as a neutral party.

Respect really boils down to good business. Good business occurs when everyone feels like they are winning without any net expenditure.

The whole argument is resolved by one aspect---by erecting a shack, does an individual *own* the ice beneath it?

If the owner of the shack does not own the ice, then the use of the ice and the shack really should be a cooperation.

The owner of the shack has to have some degree of capital investment, has to put it on the lake, and has to remove it.

If someone wants to use the shack, they should pay recompense for the capital investment and basic infrastructure, which means restocking the cabinet/supplies, maintenance/cleaning, and defer usage to the shack owner.

I believe that the owner should have the piece of mind to know that they have a shack available for whenever they want to fish, but have faith that users are paying for the service to use the hut.

Seriously though. Leave a phone number to call to use the hut is a great way to give accountability.

I really should take up ice fishing. It seems like a great way to drink scotch.

Jimboy
02-02-2013, 04:05 AM

amen:happy0034:

last minute
02-02-2013, 04:26 AM
Ok so a guy at work says, " You don't need to buy an ice shack, just use one left on the lake". He says just use with respect. So my question how would you guys feel if someone used your shanty on the lake? For the record I don't plan on doing this.I never thought about it but since you brought it up i dont see a problem with it no one around and its "unlocked" sure why not no harm done .

LACOMBE JACKSON
02-02-2013, 05:42 AM
I hate to comment as I see this board has the lynch mob mentallity still( and getting worse) :argue2: BUT...The people I know with unlocked shacks on Gull Lake have no problem with respectfully using them. Some will even have something written(sprayed) on the door saying that. The facts are that if they are left unattended they are considered abandoned. To confirm call the nearest Fish & Wildlife office. Just my 2 bits

Sledhead71
02-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Tree stand, ground blind, ice shack, outfitters tent, anything really that I did not have permission prior would I even consider helping myself too. What gives anyone the right to infringe on others property with-out permission ?

This mentality is beyond my comprehension, sure glad I was raised with morals and to respect others property.

Rumtan
02-02-2013, 07:00 AM
This is the reason my shanty is portable.......if anyone of my friends wanted to borrow it then they will call me and I have no problem lending it. If someone just wanted to use it that was unfamilliar to me then I would rent it. It costs money to make a good shanty and why should I just let it go for free?

Freedom55
02-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Tree stand, ground blind, ice shack, outfitters tent, anything really that I did not have permission prior would I even consider helping myself too. What gives anyone the right to infringe on others property with-out permission ?

This mentality is beyond my comprehension, sure glad I was raised with morals and to respect others property.

When I was just out of high school, I had a summer job with the B.C. Forest Service, fighting forest fires. A small crew of four flew into a fire zone on Penask Mtn, a small suppression crew led by me. We stayed a number of days but did very little work as the fire was a lightning-struck tree on a small island in the middle of a swampy area.

More to the point, there was a small plywood shack in the vicinity, close enough that we could see the smoke of the burning pine, from "home". Home was that shack, built by a group of professionals from the area, most notably Peachland. Doctors, lawyers and others who spent their winters on snow machines had built this little hut far into the backcountry.

Posted on the wall was a list of RULES to obey if you planned to use the shack for your own reasons. We reckoned that we had reason enough so we enjoyed the little cookstove and the roof over our heads. We replaced the firewood we used.

40 years have passed, and now I read and hear that owners of said shanties (ice shanty, sledders cabin, can you tell the difference?) want no part of trespassing on their private property, in spite of it being in the middle of public property. One guy from Dundurn SK told me that he drives over and crushes tip-ups with his 4X4 if he can see it from the door of his shack!!
Some folks have funny habits. Some people will claim that if you drill a hole close by their structure, that alone will cause the flood water to freeze their hovel to the ice, rendering it impossible to move. This is outside the shack, not in it, where I imagine that the owner would lose his mind if he caught you there.

So, the long and the short of it, if I go ice fishing recreationally I avoid iceshanty hamlets like the plague had settled into their community. I opted for a Fabrill tent. I see fishing as a chance to get away from it all. If you want to bring your anxieties to the lake, you can. But maybe you should consider another a more soothing hobby.

fisherman420
02-02-2013, 08:23 AM
I fished out of a shack on buffalo a few years back that was open. When the guys came they were shocked at first but after bsing for a while they were glad I had opened the hole, had a warm shack and stocked there wood pile. They ended up joining me and we had a great day of fishing

Sledhead71
02-02-2013, 08:41 AM
When I was just out of high school, I had a summer job with the B.C. Forest Service, fighting forest fires. A small crew of four flew into a fire zone on Penask Mtn, a small suppression crew led by me. We stayed a number of days but did very little work as the fire was a lightning-struck tree on a small island in the middle of a swampy area.

More to the point, there was a small plywood shack in the vicinity, close enough that we could see the smoke of the burning pine, from "home". Home was that shack, built by a group of professionals from the area, most notably Peachland. Doctors, lawyers and others who spent their winters on snow machines had built this little hut far into the backcountry.

Posted on the wall was a list of RULES to obey if you planned to use the shack for your own reasons. We reckoned that we had reason enough so we enjoyed the little cookstove and the roof over our heads. We replaced the firewood we used.

40 years have passed, and now I read and hear that owners of said shanties (ice shanty, sledders cabin, can you tell the difference?) want no part of trespassing on their private property, in spite of it being in the middle of public property. One guy from Dundurn SK told me that he drives over and crushes tip-ups with his 4X4 if he can see it from the door of his shack!!
Some folks have funny habits. Some people will claim that if you drill a hole close by their structure, that alone will cause the flood water to freeze their hovel to the ice, rendering it impossible to move. This is outside the shack, not in it, where I imagine that the owner would lose his mind if he caught you there.

So, the long and the short of it, if I go ice fishing recreationally I avoid iceshanty hamlets like the plague had settled into their community. I opted for a Fabrill tent. I see fishing as a chance to get away from it all. If you want to bring your anxieties to the lake, you can. But maybe you should consider another a more soothing hobby.

My point was not a permanent structure on public property, but a temporary recreational device that is obviously someones personal property.

How you assume I have anxiety from my comments about respect is as humorous as considering another more soothing hobby.

I don't borrow, use, take or assume anything unless I have permission from the owner, case closed.

Simple really, there are people who bike to a public park, leave their bike unattended, doesn't mean you or I should take it for a rip cause it's unattended ? Others mention a simple boat at a public dock, heck it's public and no one seems to be using it, why not ?

Freedom55
02-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Sledhead, I mistakenly quoted you. Please forgive me. You clearly have no anxieties and I apologize for suggesting that you might. You are a right-thinking man and deserve to be treated accordingly. My apology extends to your family, whom I denegrated by suggesting that you had something less than a perfectly moral and respectful upbringing.

I also made the terrible mistake of missing your signature. I defer to a higher wisdom.

Sledhead71
02-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Sledhead,

I also made the terrible mistake of missing your signature. I defer to a higher wisdom.

Sweet new signature line :sHa_shakeshout:

Don K
02-02-2013, 09:24 AM
When I was a kid no one locked their huts. You'd use it, not damage it and leave it clean. We'd bring our own wood and if it had a stove we'd leave extra wood for the next guy... If an owner showed up we'd go to the next one or drill some holes.

Ucthesizeoftheoneilost
02-02-2013, 09:27 AM
I do not ice fish, but this seems like genius. I am going to chime in as a neutral party.

Respect really boils down to good business. Good business occurs when everyone feels like they are winning without any net expenditure.

The whole argument is resolved by one aspect---by erecting a shack, does an individual *own* the ice beneath it?

If the owner of the shack does not own the ice, then the use of the ice and the shack really should be a cooperation.

The owner of the shack has to have some degree of capital investment, has to put it on the lake, and has to remove it.

If someone wants to use the shack, they should pay recompense for the capital investment and basic infrastructure, which means restocking the cabinet/supplies, maintenance/cleaning, and defer usage to the shack owner.

I believe that the owner should have the piece of mind to know that they have a shack available for whenever they want to fish, but have faith that users are paying for the service to use the hut.

Seriously though. Leave a phone number to call to use the hut is a great way to give accountability.

I really should take up ice fishing. It seems like a great way to drink scotch.

the scotch thing is interesting......the rest of your rant well...ady ady ady ady

safcforever
02-02-2013, 10:26 AM
BINGO!!!!
my point exactly
rudeness rudeness rudeness IS rampant
Soooo... it's me mine me in modern times.....with a few trusted friends mixed in

There will be people from both ends.
I never have and never would approach a shck, but if someone used mine I'd expect at least some good pics left and a lure to try

TROLLER
02-02-2013, 04:58 PM
What ever happened to if it ain't yours or you don't know the owner leave it the ****** alone?

WHAT HE SAID:bad_boys_20:

CamoDerrick
02-02-2013, 07:18 PM
The "logic" (a term I use loosely) on this thread is ridiculous.

Just because a shack is on public land then it should be available to use for all?
So any personal property that is located temporarily upon public land should be able to be used freely by anyone? What if YOUR truck is parked at a grocery store parking lot (public land)? Would you all be perfectly fine with anyone trying the doors, and going inside to warm up? Perhaps you would be so kind to leave your keys in it too then so people can use it and go for a little drive. All as long as they are respectful right?
Again, if it is not your property, you hold zero right to utilizing in whatever way you feel like. Who cares if it is on public property.

Most posting on here that says it is okay to use private property without permission are the ones without the personal property in the first place.

BeeGuy
02-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Logic?

Stealing a truck is not comparable to sitting in a plywood shack out on the ice.

Neither is stealing someones boat by the way.

WayneChristie
02-02-2013, 08:50 PM

what he said ^^^^

Richmuiz
02-02-2013, 08:53 PM
What if someone put a floating dock out on the lake in the summer would it be ok if I was to go out and fish off it ??

Gust
02-02-2013, 09:02 PM
What if someone put a floating dock out on the lake in the summer would it be ok if I was to go out and fish off it ??

Navigable waterways have another set of laws under transport canada,,, the short answer is yes. Would I want to be caught building or anchoring a dock? No!

FishingFrenzy
02-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Logic?

Stealing a truck is not comparable to sitting in a plywood shack out on the ice.

Neither is stealing someones boat by the way.

How is it not comparable?

If we think simply about $$ value, a lot of ice shantys could cost $200-1000 bucks for materials and labour

My 14ft aluminum and 9.9 johnson cost me around 1k.

I can tell you right now, if I tied my boat up at the dock and some retard used it without my permission, I would be IRATE. Ready to strangle the poor ba*****d that took it.

Same goes for an iceshack, if spent the money and took the time to build it, its MINE. If you want to use it you'd better have my permission.

To make a more appropriate analogy, if you hiked into a back country campsite, and there was a tent setup in one of the sites and there was nobody inside, would you just feel free to go in there and have a nap?

Really, its exactly the same as an iceshack. Personal property on public land, unattended for X amount of time..........

KWO
02-02-2013, 10:36 PM

Amen to this. I can't even get my head around why anyone would think it is OK to use something that they don't own without permission. Emergencies excepted, at best it is bad form. If you want a nice comfy fishing shack, then get off your butt and build your own.

huntsfurfish
02-02-2013, 11:59 PM

Agree.

New Hunter Okotoks
02-03-2013, 12:34 AM
I have seen many lakes with ice shacks on them and not once did I ever think that I should just go and make myself cozy. Somebody went through the trouble and expense to build it and to get it on and off the ice. Why should I get to enjoy the fruits of someone else's labours?

These shacks belong to someone and were built for their personal use, not as a community project. The typical shack won't last very long if various people are using them throughout the winter whenever the owner isn't around. The heavy boot traffic and getting water/slush on the floor going through freeze thaw cycles will wear out a typical shack quite fast. The door being opened and shut 20 times more will wear out much faster than it normally would with a single owner.

If it is a survival situation such as truck, quad or snowmobile broken down at night or bad weather and nobody around; then by all means go into any shack whether it is locked or not. But a guy should not just drive around Travers, Badger Lake, or any lake looking for an unoccupied shack to squat in. That's disrespectful in my books.

fishman
02-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Just hasnt been the same since we arnt allowed to beat our kids anymore

omega50
02-03-2013, 07:50 AM
I would be concerned with liability.
I build a shack and some stranger uses it and gets injured.

Is this my domain of responsibility?

Walleyedude
02-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Exactly. Great post.

The rationalizing of the "me generation" types around here never ceases to amaze me.

pikeslayer22
02-03-2013, 09:01 AM
If I were worried about someone using mine "if I had one" I would not leave it on the lake! Easy peasy!

Chris84
02-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Although I personally would never use someone elses shack, this seems like a completely reasonable idea. I can see some valid points to both sides of the conversation.

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 08:15 PM
If I were worried about someone using mine "if I had one" I would not leave it on the lake! Easy peasy!

Not easy peasy....we're talking about a wood built shack....not a pop out tent.
It's a permanent structure for the season that requires hours of assembly and disassembly.
Not sure u have been payin attention

Gabriel S.
02-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Where's your shack? I will even throw in a $20 after Im done :)

BeeGuy
02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Where's your shack? I will even throw in a $20 after Im done :)

Ghost arm.

Help yourself.

It's a big timber frame. You just need to pick up the black and silver 8x14' tarp from CT and you're good to go.

It's sitting on shore 30 feet from where all the holes are drilled.

Crankyfish
02-04-2013, 12:02 AM
A lake is not private property so if you put a shack out there it is at your own risk. If you build a cabin on crown land they will burn it down if you have no right there. So really why would you be ****ed off at some one that the public has access to. And as far as liability what happens when a snow mobile r crashes into your shack at night i would be more worried about the law suit from that. As for my self i always respect other peoples property so it is not a issue. BUT is it still your property when you leave it on the ice????

MtnGiant
02-04-2013, 12:10 AM
A lake is not private property so if you put a shack out there it is at your own risk. If you build a cabin on crown land they will burn it down if you have no right there. So really why would you be ****ed off at some one that the public has access to. And as far as liability what happens when a snow mobile r crashes into your shack at night i would be more worried about the law suit from that. As for my self i always respect other peoples property so it is not a issue. BUT is it still your property when you leave it on the ice????

Why would a snowmobiler be ripping around at night....thats nutso.
AND....its perfectly legal to put a permanent structure where I am...
AND NO....if u build a structure on crown land...it will not be burned down...
U dont understand the law....

valley13
02-04-2013, 02:57 AM
If its not yours dont touch it:angry3:

pikeslayer22
02-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Not easy peasy....we're talking about a wood built shack....not a pop out tent.
It's a permanent structure for the season that requires hours of assembly and disassembly.
Not sure u have been payin attention
Oh you mean one of the permanent ones that some responsible wooden structure owners leave out on the ice abandoned, for someone else to deal with every spring? Yeah I may have seen one or two!

L.O.S.T.Arrow
02-04-2013, 09:04 AM
:D I set up a ice shack on a central lake a few years ago..spends hundreds on it when I didnt have all that much money...had attached fish cleaning station/Ice box that fish could be put thru the wall..line rack on ceiling folding snack shelfs, cut five gallon pail hole sleeves blah blah..

locked it because of chairs and line etc...first day back someone hooked up a vehicle to door and ripped it off the hinges....stole chairs and lines

ok ..replaced hinges and door didnt lock it this time...second time back...someone ripped off the cleaning station from shack wall..broken beer bottles, garbage and sunflower seed shells all over inside..cleaned it up ..not locked..

third time out..holes kicked in walls everything not nailed down was tore off ..broken bottles, garbage and two big piles of CRAP...yup a couple nice people actually CRAPPED in the ice shack...

loaded it up took to dump...I realized times have changed..there is no respect, lost respect and it is what it is...I will however respect others and not use theirs..

JMHO
Neil

Pincherguy
02-04-2013, 09:45 AM
:(I have been hunting and fishing many years, in all these years I have seen many shacks built on the ice, in the bush, and on a fence line over looking a field. I has never crossed my mind to use them. If I go ice fishing I take my own, if I don't take it I fish in the open. Same with hunting, if I want a blind or tree stand I make my own. Those of you that say no problem to someone using it, I will bet if you get there and someone is in it your going to be a little pizzed. I made a very nice blind years ago overlooking a nice meadow that was frequented by elk. I made it out of all natural material that was on hand. I spent a whole day making this blind and looked forward to using it. First day out and there was a couple of guys in it. Got the same response from them that I hear here. It's on crown land and therefore you have no claim to it. Somehow these guys always beat me to it, I think they slept there over night. They thought it was funny and told me to **** off and quit bothering them. After a few run ins with them I finally dismantled it.
I guess my point is that they were legally right and morally wrong.
PG

sharpstick
02-04-2013, 01:02 PM
If I find someone in my shack, that would mean they broke into it and the respect card is out the window. It won't be a good day for them. For emergency purposes (injuries, weather etc) I have no problem taking shelter in someone else's cabin/shack etc but for people to just wonder out there and use it because it's there and they feel they have the right, is when I don't think it's cool. But that's just my thoughts. However, if you see me out fishing in my shack, by all means come on over to warm up, have a pop and BS the day away.

Cheers,

SS

L.O.S.T.Arrow
02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
If I find someone in my shack, that would mean they broke into it and the respect card is out the window. It won't be a good day for them. For emergency purposes (injuries, weather etc) I have no problem taking shelter in someone else's cabin/shack etc but for people to just wonder out there and use it because it's there and they feel they have the right, is when I don't think it's cool. But that's just my thoughts. However, if you see me out fishing in my shack, by all means come on over to warm up, have a pop and BS the day away.

Cheers,

SS

:D Is that your ice shack in your avatar??????????

The Elkster
02-04-2013, 01:17 PM
If this is Spray lake then those would be commercial fishing shacks and should have that info marked on them. I would't suggest you use them. The few commercial one's are the only one's allowed on the provincial park lake. Anything else permanent shouldn't be there and likely won't be for long. Also don't try snowmobiling or driving on the ice to drop a shack or joyride...they will bust ya right quick. CO's all the time up there

Sooner
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Have to agree 100 %. Ive had my tree stand used. Guy even cut more branches and put a bag on the seat. Thats ok, it was left up as i was deep in the crown land and left on a wednesday to return on the friday night. I have also had all my foot pegs(taken off the tree, the stand was with me) and the bucket with my harness etc stolen from under a brush pile. But i got it all back(for a diff thread). My wall tent goes up 15 kms away from the road in early sept, comes down at the end of Oct. Only thing left in is the airtight, stove pipes and wood. You would never see it from the trail but If your stranded and find it, its all yours. Why would it be ok to decide its yours to hunt from just because im not there. Same goes for a ice shack imo.

Pincherguy
02-04-2013, 04:09 PM
:D Is that your ice shack in your avatar??????????

That is just like the ground blind I built.

Mutter87
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
I just built a collapsible wood shack, around $300 for wood/materials. I have no intentions of leaving it out, but if I did i'd have mixed reactions to someone using it.

I had seen someone left a shack on the Ice at Badger, So I stayed away from it to be courteous, Did the same at PCR.

If you dont build the shack, help maintain the shack, or know the guys that put the shack there, It just seems somewhat rude to be using it. Now of course, There is always extenuating circumstances, Injuries, Freak storm, Lost and warming up etc.

MtnGiant
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
If this is Spray lake then those would be commercial fishing shacks and should have that info marked on them. I would't suggest you use them. The few commercial one's are the only one's allowed on the provincial park lake. Anything else permanent shouldn't be there and likely won't be for long. Also don't try snowmobiling or driving on the ice to drop a shack or joyride...they will bust ya right quick. CO's all the time up there

Wong you are sir...
They are privately built and owned shanty's that are perfectly legal to place there for the season.
Some of the people have been there for years.....so not sure where ur gettn ur info from....but its not factual

MtnGiant
02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Oh you mean one of the permanent ones that some responsible wooden structure owners leave out on the ice abandoned, for someone else to deal with every spring? Yeah I may have seen one or two!

Not what I mean at all....your still unfocused and misguided....
If you read above again....it says "dissassembly" as well....
I'm not promoting nor condoning garbage by irresponsible people.

kinwahkly
02-04-2013, 07:25 PM
If its not youre's DONT TOUCH!!!!!

BGSH
02-04-2013, 10:30 PM
what mine is yours whats yours is mine ;)

winmag
02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
it boils down to this........ If you are too lazy or cheap to get or make your own, why would you expect someone else to supply it for you! imo :sign0176:

B_Type13X2
02-05-2013, 12:37 AM
When I went to Christina lake this past weekend my friends and I walked past a local's shack, we didn't even consider using it. It had his number on the side, but it wasn't our property, we were even sure to make sure the tent was setup about 50' away from the local's shack so if he came out he wouldn't feel like we crowded his spot. There was a Shovel and Chair close to the shack we touched neither even though that shovel would have come in handy. (Forgot mine...) At the end of the day after we packed everything up curiosity got the better of us, we walked over and knocked on the door. No one inside, could see that there was evidence of him catching fish. He had the prime spot close to the bridge but not so close he would be in danger of going through and right off the weed bed. The perfect spot for perch.

My point is this, it wasn't ours nothing there was ours so it wasn't acceptable to touch anything there. Need it or not we didn't touch it as I know how I'd feel if someone touched my property without asking. It feels like you've been violated whether something was taken, damaged or not. Not your property not yours to touch.