PDA

View Full Version : Hooking a dog

BGSH
02-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Was fishing last weekend, my buddy was casting a jig into the water and had another rod behind him on the bank that was setup for bait fishing, had a minnow on it, a dog came up out of nowhere and swallowed then bait and started running with the rod following close behind, i ran to the dog and bit off the main line to the rod then bit most of the line off from to where i could see the hook, the hook was pretty deep, on a public used trail should owners of there pets keep them on a leash or teach them how to leave others things alone? i don't think we were at fault here at all, felt bad though as i love dogs.

Has anyone else ever hooked a dog, bird, etc....?

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 08:43 PM
nasty

ive seen gulls hooked before

a turtle one time

close calls with loons and ospreys

but never some canine on the loose.

BeeGuy
02-01-2013, 08:44 PM
where ya been BGSH?

NewAlbertan
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
she clamped down on that barbed treble hook (yes, regulation police, I was not in AB jurisdiction).
45 min drive from the lake to the vet. She had actually broken the treble with 2 prongs buried in her top pallet and 1 in the tongue.
Vet had to put her under to cut them out.
Thank G for pet insurance!

BGSH
02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
where ya been BGSH?

This was in west Edmonton fishing the N.s.r

BGSH
02-01-2013, 08:49 PM
she clamped down on that barbed treble hook (yes, regulation police, I was not in AB jurisdiction).
45 min drive from the lake to the vet. She had actually broken the treble with 2 prongs buried in her top pallet and 1 in the tongue.

Ouch, it was your dog? did you get mad at the fisherman? how is the dog doing now.

winger7mm
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Got a roommates dog in the lip a few years back, perfect hookset corner of the mouth. Caught the lil guy, wrangled him to the ground and pulled hook out, put him back on his legs, gave him a lil shove and off he went. lol jokes aside I worry about left behind hooks when I bring my dog ice fishing, to many yahoos just leave stuff behind instead of throwing it away.

I think if the dog were to actually require a vet visit to remove the hook, I would expect to be contacted by someones lawyer or something :bad_boys_20:

winger7mm
02-01-2013, 08:55 PM

The insurance covered that?? crazy! who do you use, petsecure?

Dust1n
02-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Iv hooked bats while using mosquito patterns at neilima damn fishing the evening hatches.
Seagulls when I left my jig on the dock but thank god he spit it out.
Iv had ducks nip at my bober on sylvan.

gear04ipod
02-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I caught a pizzed off duck in BC

Fishingaddict
02-01-2013, 09:26 PM
i caught a muskrat one time in emerson he was PSSED! i also caught a angry beaver on a 6wt fly rod that was a fight i tell ya:)

ak-71
02-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Never did dog and a bird, but I hooked my dog on the lip with a dry fly in Bow, and my son got a gull on Clear lake with a smelt on a cast once, only he couldn't land it. Do turtles count too?
My dog has instinct and hurt, brains - vast area for improvement

thundergrey
02-01-2013, 09:59 PM
had the same thing happen one long weekend. We were on the beach in our campsite on shore and their dog was loose and found an unattended rod with a lure dangling and decided to eat it. Started to run away and the first thing my buddle does is grab the rod and try to real it in! Anyway line broke and we told the fellow campers what happened and they packed up and we never saw them again.

If it was my dog there would be no one to be mad at but myself. That is why my dog is tied up at the campsite. Too many... distractions about.

Bound2Fish
02-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Hooked a girl once when I was about 6. She was sweet on me and was coming up behind me when I was casting. Heard a scream, turned around and seen that she was hooked and I ran away to get help. By the time I got back my rod was just laying there so I continued on fishing. Never did see her again that summer, but she was fine.

graham1
02-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Went to cast once and a buddies dog happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Long story short, caught her by the eye lid. :scared0018: well trained dog. Hollered down she hit the dirt and we cut the barb off (about 15years ago) and pulled the hook back out. She healed up fine. Not a good feeling. Always take a good look behind me now:sign0007:

VanHorn1
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
I caught a mallard a couple of years ago just up from Policemans, ******* thought my Hopper pattern would make a tasty treat so he started chasing it and I'm stripping it in as fast as I could but he took a last lunge at it and got the #8 hook in the neck. Hell of a fight getting him in and then holding him to pull the hook wasnt much fun tho. then let him go and he took right off swore he gave me the bird as he flew away.
In the fall while fishing the west castle right at dusk, I was trying to get this cutty that kept rising for the mayfly hatch, we noticed some bats coming in and grabbing the mayflys off the surface one grabbed my mayfly pattern and started to fly away with it and lifting my fly line up off the water. It lbit the fly off and everything dropped back in the water sans fly.
A;so caught some friends and once even the wife..... long quiet drive home tho

EDMfishing
02-01-2013, 11:09 PM
I caught a seal once, while fishing from a dock in rivers inlet.. not somuch fishing as just bored while working.. set a rod up, herring/weight... dropped it down 60ft off the dock... set it in a rodholder on a boat tied off, and went about cleaning and such... no sort of action at all for about 3 hrs (listening for the reel to starrt spinning off).. turn the music up for about 20 mins, turned around and the rod was bent right over, started reeling it in and after a brief tug of war:fighting0030: noticed the line coming to the curface some 150+ yards away.. looked out passed the line and there was 5 seal heads bobbing around:sign0161:, all slowly moving my way LOL.. reeled it in closer than i would have liked:scared0015:, and cut the 8ft leader off from under the weight... seal wasnt too happy.. but I still wonder if it ate the herring or if i caught something previous to the seal!!:thinking-006:

even if it did steal my 'catch' figured it would be happier without a 8oz weight hanging from its mouth for however long it would take the lil guy to find something to bust it loose on lol

BPman
02-01-2013, 11:19 PM
I have removed at least one hook from each of my 4 Labs. One had swallowed old bait left on the ice and we removed the hook from the back of her tongue. Took an hour to plan the operation and about 30 seconds to execute the plan - no adverse after effects.

WillyOneStyle
02-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Well... no self respecting mutt would turn up a stinky bait... but you are right, BGSH, the hound should have been on a leash.

A room mate's kitten once got hooked on a rappela that was still tied to a rod in a storage room; that was extremely noisy.

I hooked a robin in mid air with a fly on the back cast over the Bow river, just below Bow falls. After he hit the water his little robin friends flew back and started tweeting at him. It took several minutes but he did recover enough to fly away. I'll never forget the "Thwack" when the fly smacked that bird, heard from forty feet away over the roar of the falls. Must have been like getting hit by a bean bag fired by riot police.

thorne
02-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Shawn! I'm am going to be very clear on this! I am a dog owner and an avid fisherman. There are registered off leash areas in the city for dog owners to let the pooches run. If you choose to fish in them you are liable for any harm caused to an animal by not taking extra caution to insure the safety of those animals at all times. Dog owners are very restricted as to where the can legally let the animals run free, as for fishing, you are not. If you choose to do so in a registered off leash area, which you often do as I see you all the time, then you choose to accept the responsibility to be take extra precaution and accept the fact you will be dealing with dogs and their owners. If that were my dog you would be expecting a vet bill, and a possible lawsuit. This is not directed at you personally, but all people, including myself, who choose to fish in these areas. I have had several hooks and lures removed from my animals already, especially in Hermitage, it's not pleasant or acceptable. All those instances were discarded lures with no way of identifying the owner. Had I been able to I assure you, it would have been ugly....I as sorry is I have offended or if anyone feels threatened by this post, that is not my intent. I am just stating the course of action I would follow if I was in this specific situation. to be fair, if it was not a registered off leash area, yep its the owners responsibility.

bessiedog
02-02-2013, 10:03 AM
About 8 years ago.

Had the line sticking out of her throat, I pulled, the 4 pound test line broke, I swore a blue streak ( we were ice fishing)

Next week consisted of 3 vet X-rays, me following the dog around picking through his poop as the hook was still moving through her system (according to the $175 X-rays)... Finally the 4th X-ray showed nothing! And I never found that damn hook!!

Neighborhood thought I wuz frigginnutz!

Flieguy
02-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Hooked my cousin's dumb@$$ dog one time. had my rod dangling over the side of the boat with single barbless Croc on it. She jumped over the side and into the water to catch the shiny dangling thing. held her down and got it out with pliers (she was hooked in the cheek).

Caught a franklin's gull on a 4wt fly rod once....

nightcrawler
02-02-2013, 10:47 AM
I have caught my buddy in the ear fly fishing once, also caught two turtles on two seperate occasions. Never caught a dog.

Even in an offleash park, it is the owners responsibility to ensure there dog is well enough trained not to eat random things, or if not then the owner must ensure that they keep an eye on their dog. Offleash does not equal ignore! I would never allow my dogs to eat anything they find laying around. Way too many dog haters out there leaving poisoned treats for the poor pups. I have been working on training my dogs to wait till I give them the okay before they eat anything. They are getting pretty good at it but are not perfect yet. Therefore, when we are out, even in an offleash park, I pay close attention to them. The idea that you dont have to watch your dog in an offleash park, and if something happens to it it is someone else's fault is the same has all those parents who take there kids to somewhere like Tommy K Play, let them loose and then drink coffee, never once checking on their kids. The kid starts crying and it is someone else's fault. Ridiculous! You bought a dog, or had a kid, man up and be responsible for it!

Redfrog
02-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Shawn! I'm am going to be very clear on this! I am a dog owner and an avid fisherman. There are registered off leash areas in the city for dog owners to let the pooches run. If you choose to fish in them you are liable for any harm caused to an animal by not taking extra caution to insure the safety of those animals at all times. Dog owners are very restricted as to where the can legally let the animals run free, as for fishing, you are not. If you choose to do so in a registered off leash area, which you often do as I see you all the time, then you choose to accept the responsibility to be take extra precaution and accept the fact you will be dealing with dogs and their owners. If that were my dog you would be expecting a vet bill, and a possible lawsuit. This is not directed at you personally, but all people, including myself, who choose to fish in these areas. I have had several hooks and lures removed from my animals already, especially in Hermitage, it's not pleasant or acceptable. All those instances were discarded lures with no way of identifying the owner. Had I been able to I assure you, it would have been ugly....I as sorry is I have offended or if anyone feels threatened by this post, that is not my intent. I am just stating the course of action I would follow if I was in this specific situation. to be fair, if it was not a registered off leash area, yep its the owners responsibility.

A lawsuit? Really. What would you sue for. are you a lawyer. Ever play one on TV?:thinking-006:

It's your dog, you are responsible for it.

What if I left a tasty kid on the bank and your dog bit it. would you still sue? what if the kid was spoiled? Would you get your dog's stomach pumped.

Ridiculous. Off leash does not mean out of control.

Bigdad013
02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Ice fishing at Chain lakes one year with my lab, setting up the rods with velveeta. turned around and saw the line in my dogs mouth, he had sucked all three hooks into his mouth, he was sitting there very still as I believe he knew something was wrong. I opened his mouth and saw all three hooks. None of them were hooked and I slowly pulled them out of his mouth. I was very lucky, and I guess so was he. Lesson learned on that experience.

Redfrog
02-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I have hooked birds and dogs and people by accident. I had a beagle that would try to steal the minnow of a hook that was left unattended.

I don't like trash left lying around but baited line scraps left on the ice or tossed onto the water are the worst, not only for pets but wild animals as well.

Pick up your trash and be vigilant with your gear.:)

32-40win
02-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Been lucky with the dogs, hooked them many times, on the back cast, when they had scooted back there without me spotting it, only caught flesh once, barbless #16, came out no sweat. Caught them with up to 4/0 hooks, just hooked hair. Got a gull one day as it flew into a cast, hooked around the wing, was very cooperative in coming in and letting me get it unhooked.
Got my brother-in-law in the ear once.

THERICARDO
02-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Although it sucks you would have no case to SUE or to even ask for Vet bills to be covered actually, like said previously off leash isnt out of control... Just because its off leash doesnt mean your dog can wander around without you present... Dog owners like that are reason I keep my dogs away from dog parks...

And you are right Hermitage has a lot of discarded fishing tackle and garbage, why would you take your dog to a park where they could possible hurt themselves? I mean after the first time it happened you keep taking them to same place? Seems irresponsible to me but thats just my opinion...

THERICARDO
02-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Sorry went on rampage my blood was boiling...

Hooked a Loon at Candle Lake few years ago and my brother an Otter fishing in the Amazon...

thorne
02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
ya I knew I would get flack, but hey like I said, its my opinion. I simply feel that leaving a baited hook unattended in a designated "off leash" area you are negligent by fact that one can reasonable expect to be visited or be in the company of dogs, and that a basic deduction would suggest a very high probability of a dog ingesting the hook. Not rocket science. Would it fly in court, who knows....but I would give it a go. I don't let my dogs harass guys fishing on the river, but if they did go and say hi, then I would expect the guys fishing to have taken precautions to secure all tackle in a manner which would make it safe to do so. Just saying fishing in a dog park requires extra attention. Just plain common sense. But ya, I would definitely do what I could to hold the person responsible for any vet bills associated with the described situation. Think its pretty clear. If it was ice fishing on a lake and my dog got snagged on some guys line, busted his rod, or caused any other damage, I would be responsible for replacing it, no questions asked. Designated off leash area...different story...Pedestrian walks across a road and gets hit....sucks to be him, gets hit I a designated cross walk....the whole thing changes. Regardless, I am sure Shawn's friend will be a little bit more careful from now on, as i am sure he meant no intentional harm to the dog, but is more aware of the potential hazards associated with fishing in an area where a lot of dogs are allowed to roam free.

thorne
02-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Although it sucks you would have no case to SUE or to even ask for Vet bills to be covered actually, like said previously off leash isnt out of control... Just because its off leash doesnt mean your dog can wander around without you present... Dog owners like that are reason I keep my dogs away from dog parks...

And you are right Hermitage has a lot of discarded fishing tackle and garbage, why would you take your dog to a park where they could possible hurt themselves? I mean after the first time it happened you keep taking them to same place? Seems irresponsible to me but thats just my opinion...

Hermitage was 1 time, the Gold bar area was the second, but I appreciate your concern. I'm sorry to make your blood boil....is there a pill for that??

jaystev
02-02-2013, 03:38 PM
I hooked a loon once on my fly rod it surfaced a foot away from my line and swam into it. Happened so fast i didnt have time to react. the loon ended up flying away with my stimulator lodged in its leg.
Ive also caught my dog once. I was setting up to fish the nsr and she brushed up against my rod. good thing i caught her before she ran which im sure she wouldve. another reason ill always fish barbless. As for walking your dog around people fishing....I think its just common sense to leave fishermen their space. most dont like me having my dog around (which is funny because some of my biggest fish from nsr were hooked with her swimming in the water 30 yards away). but ive also had a random dog come up and eat my lunch so i know where there coming from. I think alot of the problems come from owners who let their dogs run wild without any control. That being said, accidents do happen. I think all of us are responsible for the minimization of such occurrences. Oh and when it comes to the whole dog park issue the dog park legally ends at the high water mark the rest is provinces. I know this because most places i fish arent dog areas and ive fought several tickets in edmonton and won. as long as shes on a leash past high water mark.

AxeMan
02-02-2013, 04:35 PM
@ thorne.

You are actually quite incorrect with many of your opinions on off leash dog parks rules.
First and foremost:

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/dchristi/pets_in_the_city_dog2_430x215_zps1381042d.jpg

Not: "There are registered off leash areas in the city for dog owners to let the pooches run. If you choose to fish in them you are liable for any harm caused to an animal by not taking extra caution to insure the safety of those animals at all times."

and

Don't need your off leash dog coming and saying hi as you put it. See rule #1 from the City on their off leash area parks.

You should really read the following from the City:
http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_recreation/documents/PDF/Parks_For_Paws_Brochure.pdf

be responsible by:

1. Being considerate — keep your dog in
sight, stay alert for other trail traffic, restrain
your dog around other park or trail users and
walk on the right.
2. Honouring bylaw rules — licence,
leash, control and pick-up after your dog.
Keep dogs 10 metres away from school
grounds, playgrounds, sport fields and
picnic sites.
3. Allowing your dog off-leash only
within the boundaries of designated off-leash
areas. The sites are all listed in this brochure!
4. Walking restricted dogs away from
off-leash parks — they are not allowed in.
These dogs must be leashed and muzzled at
all times outside your property.
5. Limiting aggressive behaviour —
immediately leash and check your dog if it
acts hostile toward people, dogs or wildlife.
6. Training your dog to respond to voice
and signal commands.
7. Picking up after your dog — keep
parks healthy and clean for everyone.
8. Protecting your dog with
vaccinations — stop the spread of infectious
diseases to wildlife and other dogs.
9. Holding back dogs from chasing
wildlife — coyotes, deer, birds, waterfowl;
all creatures great and small living in urban
parks need our protection.
10. Carrying a leash on every walk —
restrain your dog where required, especially
on trails, and use a leash no longer than
2 metres (six feet).
11. Sharing off-leash parks and trails
with others — all of Edmonton’s parks and
trails are multi-use; they belong to all of us!

AppleJax
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Geezle caught a 30lb Springer on the edge of the NSR once! Gotta love barbless hooks.:)

AppleJax
02-02-2013, 04:45 PM
I often take my Springer Spaniel fishing with me. Has she been hooked before, yes. Will I still take her with me again, yes. My responsibility, my concern. Its gonna happen again im sure. Will I leave her at home because its a big scary world out there? Nope. I would rather have my dog with me enjoying the outdoors, to leave her at home because theres a possibility she could get hurt is just nonsense, and more cruel IMO.

THERICARDO
02-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Dont get me wrong my dog is with me 9 times outta 10 also unless I go to Herm just bc of amount of people. He is a Cane Corso and doesnt like a lot of people he doesnt know around, so he can be very intimidating at 150+ Lbs and 18 months..... He has come outta bush with line alll around him and such but never a hook or anything yet..

niwrek
02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
He will pass it.Had a yellow lab did the same thing..... cut the line and feed him as much lard as I could.... it came out. He he died 10 years later....... hope it wasnt from cholesteral:bad_boys_20:

huntin'fool
02-02-2013, 06:52 PM

This really surprises me.

Picture this, Grandpa and grandson park the truck, take their little old fat Beagle dog out of the truck and walk down to the river bank. Grandpa opens up the tackle box and tells lil Jimmy to pick a hook and put a minnow on it. Meanwhile, Grandpa is pulling his line through the guides and tying on a leader. Lil Jimmy picks out a red devil and puts a minnow on it, places it beside the tackle box and says "ready gramps!". All the meanwhile, their little old Beagle is sitting calmly beside them. Just then, someone's obnoxious dog runs down the bank and grabs the hook before you can yell no.

Who has the right to be there? Does the dog owner who loses temporary control of their dog, have more right to be there than a kid and his grandad fishing on the bank with their little old dog?? Not in my books. It concerns me that any fellow angler would consider lil Jimmy and his grandad as liable.

A lawsuit my friend?!?! Hmmmmmmmm

BGSH
02-04-2013, 10:26 PM
I guess no matter where you fish always be aware for anything could happen, don't trust any dog owners where ever you fish.

bubba 96
02-04-2013, 11:00 PM

Actually you have to be in control of your dog at all times, off leash or not, it's not anybody's responsibility but you own for your dogs safety..

pickrel pat
02-05-2013, 01:39 AM
ya I knew I would get flack, but hey like I said, its my opinion. I simply feel that leaving a baited hook unattended in a designated "off leash" area you are negligent by fact that one can reasonable expect to be visited or be in the company of dogs, and that a basic deduction would suggest a very high probability of a dog ingesting the hook. Not rocket science. Would it fly in court, who knows....but I would give it a go. I don't let my dogs harass guys fishing on the river, but if they did go and say hi, then I would expect the guys fishing to have taken precautions to secure all tackle in a manner which would make it safe to do so. Just saying fishing in a dog park requires extra attention. Just plain common sense. But ya, I would definitely do what I could to hold the person responsible for any vet bills associated with the described situation. Think its pretty clear. If it was ice fishing on a lake and my dog got snagged on some guys line, busted his rod, or caused any other damage, I would be responsible for replacing it, no questions asked.signated off leash area...different story...Pedestrian walks across a road and gets hit....sucks to be him, gets hit I a designated cross walk....the whole thing changes. Regardless, I am sure Shawn's friend will be a little bit more careful from now on, as i am sure he meant no intentional harm to the dog, but is more aware of the potential hazards associated with fishing in an area where a lot of dogs are allowed to roam free.

Actually you have to be in control of your dog at all times, off leash or not, it's not anybody's responsibility but you own for your dogs safety..
Says it about aas best as it could be said.

thorne
02-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Wow....Easy people, nothing personal here, I could not agree more that my dog is my responsibility. no arguement. I am also saying the off leash areas are by defination a multi use enviroment where everyone at that location has to be aware of the activities of others and take appropriate measures to insure a safe enviroment. I'll keep my boy's in check and, people who are participating in other activities have to insure they provide a safe enviroment...ie not leaving baited hooks lying around. See simple. You take care of your end, ill take care of mine and volia! Perfect harmony. Funny thing is I have been fishing in off leash areas for years, and I have come across guys who have their tackle box open, rods lying around, and a not paying attention cause he is off down the river a ways casting. Every time I just remind them they are in an area where there are dogs running around, and they should just make sure everything is secured, they have no issue and agreed with me. Everyone out there would address any potential safety issue with a playground their children play at without hesitation. Ya its your job to watch your kids, its your responsibility, so part of that is insuring a safe enviroment. Thats all Im doing. Several years ago when Hermitage was being excavated, I was chatting with the contractor just to see what was going on. He specificallly mentioned teh challenges presented in an off leash area due the potential of an animal getting hurt. He had to insure an safe enviroment. I placed a quick call to the city so I wouldn't be talking out of my a** and asked specifically if an unatttendeed/unutilised fishing rod left lying around with a hook attached, and baited would be considered accpetable in an off leash area. The responce was a "definately not" and would warrent a peace office to address if the party concerned was not cooperative in securing it. As a matter of fact they were going to dispatch one until I clarified i was just inquiring. I also contaced SRD, just as a curiousity, and posed the question of unattended, baited lines. Their responce was if an officer on patol found such a situation he would insure the individual secured the unused rod and inform them of the potential of being charged with causing the unnessary distress to an animal if he witnessed a hawk or eagle who spotted the bait and swooped down and grabbed it, and became hooked or entangled. Ya its a small chance, but its a possibility. PLease feel free to contact any of teh mentioned agencies if you doubt me. I don't mind being the bad guy or the A**Hole...if it takes the fact that in the back of peoples minds that "If something happens" there is at least 1 A**Hole out there who will push the issue, and maybe next time will take a little bit more care with his gear. All I am asking is, when fishing in an off leash area, take a little extra precaution with your gear to insure a safe enviroment for all who utilise the area. Fair???

pike_king780
02-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Being a dog owner for years now and a avid fisherman I believe that most injuries occuring due to unknown dogs coming near fisherman is mainly the owners fault, sometimes because theyre just stupid, but mainly due to their own ignorance. sometimes irresponsibility on the fishermans part plays a big role, however, I suppose that I say this because I know what its like to have your gear all layed out doing different things with it (retying or having some lunch or looking for lures within tackle boxes), but I DO NOT let my dog anywhere near people fishing or their gear. Why should i put my dog in harms way by allowing him to do something that seems natural and normal to him becauase he isnt fully aware of the potential danger involved with fisherman and gear etc... One time fishing outfall 74 at herm, some lady (clearly never seen fisherman before in her life) was throwing her ball RIGHT beside me and my comrades repeatedly, upon her dog almost knocking our gear all over I nicely mentioned she may want to keep a closer eye on her dog (EVEN THOUGH ITS OFF LEASH) because of the dangers associated with our gear (sharp hooks, bait knives, etc), she made some snide remark and coninuted for a few more minutes, as shes walking up the hill to continue with her walk she threw it one more time, just as my friend had pulled his line in to rebait. as his rig sat there being rebaited the dog RAN by chasing his ball she so ignorantly threw and bam, hook snags dog ripping his rod out of the holder, on the ground. no big deal...so we thought, upon finishing rebaiting of his rig he noticed the one hook was broken off, JUST THE SHANK remained, the other half, clearly lodged within the dog. As tough as those animals are, something like that is not good for them. SO i reiterate, I would never allow MY dog to run rampart around such hazards like the ones mentioneed above. I care to much for him to let him get hurt because of my STUBBORNESS and thinking I have the "right" to allow him to terrorize all other groups within these parks just beacuse they are "off leash"- off leash does NOT mean out of control... I hope he was alright but i dont see how in any way at all we would be liable, we were careful as possible, warned her and it still got hooked. story over. just wish more dog owners would show us all some respect when we're there, they have a whole park to roam while we all crowd some shore line trying to enjoy a day or night fishing. one of the main reasons I stopped fishing Hermitage was because of the irresponsible dog owners.

Okotokian
02-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Geezle caught a 30lb Springer on the edge of the NSR once! Gotta love barbless hooks.:)

Hey, I caught my Brittany on a back cast once while fly fishing the Highwood. Luckily he forgave me.

Stewie
02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I hooked a Duck when I was younger, she came in to land and her feet went over my line and the hook got her in the web... weird feeling fighting something in the air...

My lab got hooked two years ago ice fishing, picked up my buddies bait when he was setting his tip-up... lucky for barbless hooks...

and my favorite was getting my dad in the chin floating the Bow with a fly... he didnt find it so funny

huntsfurfish
02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Wow Im not sure I would wanna go fishin with any of u guys, you all are pretty dangerous.:)

Now I know why u guys support barbless(but it aint for the fish).:);)

AxeMan
02-05-2013, 06:48 PM
So I took Mr. Thorne's advice and called the City to get clarification on what he said. They simply said it is the dog owners responsibilty to restrain and leash their dogs around other park users. They pointed me to the same link that I quoted in my post #33. They said the reason for the recent publicity blitz and their poster campaign (PETS IN THE CITY - Your Pet - Your Responsibility) was because of the attitudes of many pet owners that others were responsible for their pets.

A fisherman that has his taklebox open within a couple meters of where he is fishing is fine and acceptable. Any dogs that come running up and stick their noses in it are simply being neglected by irresponsible owners. Now common sense and the fishermans responsibility kicks in when he is more than a couple meters away from his open tackle box or rod with a hook on it.

The crux of this responsibility matter lies on whether or not the danger (exposed hooks) is directly attended or not. I agree that unattended gear should be stored safely. No open boxes or hooks exposed.

It is all too common though in many situations that dog owners allow their unleashed dogs to run up to fishermen and stick their faces in tackle boxes and bait bags while the fisherman is standing or sitting right beside it. Many times I have had to voice command a dog or physically restrain it from sticking its nose into my tackle box or backpack at my feet while the owner casually walked hundreds of yards away or even out of sight; oblivious to the situation at hand. This is a daily occurrence on many busy public fishing areas. Not everybody loves your dog as much as you do. We don't need to pet it or get slobbered on or baby sit it from ripping into our personal belongings. That is all the owners direct responibility.

kinwahkly
02-05-2013, 07:09 PM
My 11 year old Brittany has had his share of adventures fishing with me, a few years ago my dad and I went ice fishing to local pothole for stocked rainbows, dad was using velveeta cheese balls on a hook, dad caught a fish put the rod in the tailgate of the truck, he baited the hooks, as hooks were dangling off the truck, Mickey my Brittany came over and took a bite, next thing I see and hear is dad's rod flying off the truck and Mickey racing out with a hook and rod attached to his mouth, I ran him down and luckly no barb and was able to get it out of his mouth, now everytime i grab my fly rod or spin rod he gives me a growl.

Last spring at Kannanaskis, he was tied up behind me and my fly got him in the ear, Im quite surprised he still wants to come out with me, he's a good sport!!

Riverbc
02-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Thought this was going to be about fishing chum salmon(we call them dogs).
I caught a bat on my false cast while fly fishing a lake. A buddy hooked a seagull on his back cast on the river.....quite a fight! :)

pickrel pat
02-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Hooked a dragonfly.

Reddin
02-05-2013, 07:48 PM
First I would give her a good bath, then get some of that new bacon cologne, ... oh wait..... you're talking about something different.

338Bluff
02-05-2013, 11:55 PM
I find that a good stout spinning rod will give you the best chance at setting that hook. Spool your reel with 15 to 20 pound braided line, it will still have the sensitivity for Chihuahua yet handle the drag busting rush of a Bull Mastiff. The best hooks are usually 1/0 or 2/0 Trebles. They may seem a little big for the tea cup breeds, but you usually have to snag the more finicky ones anyways.

Bait is simpler. Any meat will do, but I seem to have the best luck with the 'artificial' baits like Snausages or Beggin' Strips. Rig everthing up with an egg sinker and you are good to go.

Most park areas will produce good catches; zone in on garbage cans, building corners and fire hydrants. While not considered sporting in most dog angling circles, a simple whistle can be dynamite for bringing them in close.

Remember to limit your catch and leave a few Poodles for the next guy. And a word of advice to BSGH and the rest of you....quit posting the names of the Off Leash Areas you are fishing at. If word gets out there will be a hundred trucks out there and pretty soon you won't even be able to catch a Shih Tzu.