PDA

View Full Version : who hunts with what weapon

Rhino81
02-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Would like a more accurate number. Who hunts with what?

BackPackHunter
02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
rifle ;^)

Tundra Monkey
02-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Rifle dude here. 300wm pretty much exclusively but my 257 gets a fair bit of action as well.

Had dreams of trad archery till I took out my picture window when I missed a balloon on a 4x8 pice of plywood at 25 yds :mad3:

A little more practice till I take that thing into the field with me :lol:

mooseslayer1
02-01-2013, 09:46 PM
theres nothing like still hunting with a bow...its amazing how you can walk right up to a deer if u do it right

Rhino81
02-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Come on. I would like to gather a fairly accurate # from this forum.

Rhino81
02-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Bttt

Got Juice?
02-02-2013, 12:34 AM
.204 Ruger... mmmm Gopher stew. Headshots are O.K but belly shots does all the guttin' for you in one step!

4lbs gopher meat (45-60 gophers)
1/2 rasher of bacon (more if required... I use a full rasher)
6 spuds
1 large onion
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cayenne
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
5 medium carrots
1 cup red wine

In a frying pan brown gopher meat well, braising it in the olive oil, paprika and cayenne pepper. When the meat is done, stir in the crushed garlic and minced onions, and simmer.
After 5 minutes of simmering, add bacon, and crank the heat to maximum, and turning often get everything sizzling.

Separate the meat/veg mixture from the nectar, and place in a slow cooker at low heat.
Add 1 cup of water, and use cornstarch as the thickening agent, and once the consistency of the gravy is reached, add the cup of red wine and bring to a slow boil.

Add the gravy to the slow cooker, and let the mixture stew, and throw in the spuds and carrots and let cook for 3-6 hours.
Serves 4
Enjoy!

Serve your guests this deeeelicious repast, and when they start to ask what meat it is... you can either:
1. Tell them and get the pizza's coming
2. Be silent and snicker quietly... tell them it's 'Richardson's Stew'

If one of your intrepid guests uses google you are in deep ship.... so be somewhat prepared for the barrage of language that will surely follow.:sHa_shakeshout:

HunterDave
02-02-2013, 01:37 AM
I'll help you out. I spend all spring/summer shooting gophers, crossbow hunt in the early fall for deer/moose, grouse less than I always plan on and deer/moose (when I have a tag) with a rifle in November. I always plan on yote hunting but always end up doing less that I should because of ice fishing.

calgarychef
02-02-2013, 05:00 AM
I always thought weapons were for killing PEOPLE, I hunt with firearms and traditional bows. Remember the old saying " here is me weapon and here is my gun, weapons are for killing and guns are for fun."

trooper
02-02-2013, 05:04 AM
Used to hunt with a nice compound but bursitis in my right shoulder curtailed that sport.. Now I'm strictly a rifle hunter.

craig82
02-02-2013, 07:45 AM
I use my crossbow for rabbit and other small game and a Remington 7mm mag for the rest.

Attilathecanuk
02-02-2013, 08:14 AM
I have a fascination with firearms, so I just use the rifles. Dad gave me his bow and perhaps I may try it in the future but not that interested just now...

GoneFishin'
02-02-2013, 08:21 AM
My rifle that I use is a .308 semi-auto

Zip
02-02-2013, 08:28 AM
i use a Remington 6mm for deer..then if i am lucky enough to get a tag for moose...i use a 8mm...ducks and geese i use a Remington Wingmaster 12 guage with 2 3/4 shells...but i haven't hunted many ducks or geese the last few years...kinda got away from it for now...maybe next year...or the year after...i keep saying that in the hope of actually doing it.
I tried bowhunting many years ago and found it to be very exciting to sat the least...but i gave that up after only a coupla fun years.

hunterfisher
02-02-2013, 08:29 AM
I usually use my 7mm when im out in the field or my 3030 when in the thick woods.

rmatei
02-02-2013, 08:36 AM
PSE FireFlight bow with 125gr Thunderheads.
Remington Wingmaster 12 ga shotgun
Ruger M77 Ultralight 270 with 150gr bullets

motox208
02-02-2013, 09:08 AM
I bow hunt from opening day of archery til opening day of rifle. Then I take the easy way out and rifle hunt the rest of the season. Hands down more satisfying to harvest an animal with archery equipment though. I'm shooting an Obsession Sniper Xs now and a Ruger 7mm rem mag.

sakogreywolf
02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
I bow hunt during archery season, and then hunt with rifle during the general season.

Success while bow hunting is much more sweet than with rifle.

Hagalaz
02-02-2013, 03:26 PM
I have hunted with both modern rifle and with traditional archery equipment. But I recently picked up a .50 calibre flintlock, so that will be my what I will use from now on.

teledogs
02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
just a rifle guy here...

Comstar
02-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Using a rifle right now but want to buy a bow for target practice anyways. Ill get one that will double for a hunting bow and would be willing to try it out.

Ultimate Predator
02-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Bow hunt big game pse bow bird hunt winchester 12 gauge coyote hunt 270 rem and 17hmr

Stumpslayer
02-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Mainly I hunt with the bow until November 1st. Then I join the swarms and pull out the rifle. figure anyone can pick off a deer at 200 yards so I give them all a good chance at getting away until November.

Every year I hunt with the bow later and longer than the year before, just something about "getting in close"!

If you really want to experience a Rush, call an elk in and take it at less than 30 yards.

uglyelk
02-02-2013, 07:39 PM
I always thought weapons were for killing PEOPLE, Remember the old saying " here is me weapon and here is my gun, weapons are for killing and guns are for fun."

Thanks for this PC driven drivel! I'm sick of this kind of garbage. No offense Chef, I've always enjoyed your input on these forums but I'm sick of all this keep the anti's happy crap.

The reason we got C68 rammed down our throats is the silent majority remained silent. I'll not bend over to appease the anti's. If you feel like grabbing your ankles have at it mate! History has shown me if we bend over for this lot they will slip you the brown end of the stick.

I had some clown try to correct me at the range one day, I almost feed him the elbow sandwich! That would have been detrimental to maintaining my range membership, instead about three of us gave him a bit of a verbal dressing down and tuned him in.

The matter was not brought up again guess he now understands that he's not the self appointed language police for the range.

For the record before being corrupted to the PC crowds agenda the original verse went like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U (Great movie BTW)

I remember a couple of privates in Gagetown in 69-70 going room to room in the barracks performing the same demonstration for the rest of the lads in the regiment. It was pretty funny!

Think the lesson has been around for a long time. I believe the purpose of this little ditty is to remind newbies that guns are for child's play and rifles are for serious work and should be handled accordingly. Guns are made of plastic and don't fire lead and are manufactured for children to play with. Other guns are stuffed into your shorts and if your given a weekend pass you might get to discover their purpose too! Rifles are not intended for any kind of play. Weapons are not play things. Bambi knows rifles are weapons. Lead and flesh don't marry well if your proficient with the platform.

We don't need no stinking language police!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cB3sYcCFhAg/S-ij6if03bI/AAAAAAAACL0/3M9qV-aAkdg/s640/IMG_0610.jpg

Weapons. The 303 weapon issued to the military was sold as surplus in large numbers at the end or WW2 and again when our troops adopted the FN Fal C1A1 as the new battle rifle. As a result I suspect in the last 60/70 years more big game have been harvested with this weapon (battle rifle) than any other platform.

I guess a fair number of folks hunt with weapons! If the PC crowd have a problem with that I suggest they avert their eyes and ears.

http://lamarzulli.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/head-in-the-sand1.jpeg

I will continue to use the term as I was raised with it. Firearms kill get over it!

For the purpose of the poll I use many weapons systems but my preference for most game in Alberta is the .308 bolt action rifle. At the present time my skill with the bow doesn't even put straw bales at risk...But I'll work on it.

rubberboots
02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Well said uglyelk!

1Heavyhitr
02-02-2013, 08:38 PM
.204 Ruger... mmmm Gopher stew. Headshots are O.K but belly shots does all the guttin' for you in one step!

4lbs gopher meat (45-60 gophers)
1/2 rasher of bacon (more if required... I use a full rasher)
6 spuds
1 large onion
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cayenne
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
5 medium carrots
1 cup red wine

In a frying pan brown gopher meat well, braising it in the olive oil, paprika and cayenne pepper. When the meat is done, stir in the crushed garlic and minced onions, and simmer.
After 5 minutes of simmering, add bacon, and crank the heat to maximum, and turning often get everything sizzling.

Separate the meat/veg mixture from the nectar, and place in a slow cooker at low heat.
Add 1 cup of water, and use cornstarch as the thickening agent, and once the consistency of the gravy is reached, add the cup of red wine and bring to a slow boil.

Add the gravy to the slow cooker, and let the mixture stew, and throw in the spuds and carrots and let cook for 3-6 hours.
Serves 4
Enjoy!

Serve your guests this deeeelicious repast, and when they start to ask what meat it is... you can either:
1. Tell them and get the pizza's coming
2. Be silent and snicker quietly... tell them it's 'Richardson's Stew'

If one of your intrepid guests uses google you are in deep ship.... so be somewhat prepared for the barrage of language that will surely follow.:sHa_shakeshout:

Are you serious ?

Rhino81
02-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Keep it coming guys and gals. It would be nice if everyone could vote from this site to get a representative # for Alberta and surrounding area.

Got Juice?
02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Are you serious ?

Yummy. and when you have been homeless and jobless for a year, any square meal is good.

And to quote an old adage

'Hunger is the best sauce'

ali#1
02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Never used a bow or crossbow, Have a 7mm and Browning maxus and a 22, Use the 7mm as A multi use gun, The Maxus as my duck and goose gun and the 22 for plinking and occasionally rabbit hunting.

walking buffalo
02-02-2013, 10:30 PM
An interesting and important poll for upcoming hunting management decisions. :)

Big Daddy Badger
02-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Interesting... almost 53% use both.

That explains a lot.

Tundra Monkey
02-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Pretty cool thread.

That number would be crazy one-sided towards the gun hunters up here.

I'd be interested to know how many of the duel guys have taken game with the bows.

justinO
02-03-2013, 12:43 AM
300 wm is my only rifle I own and shoot everything from yotes to moose with it, Compound bow for archery, over/under shotgun for birds and skeet.
I have killed with all the above.

HunterDave
02-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Pretty cool thread.

I'd be interested to know how many of the duel guys have taken game with the bows.

I could fill my sup doe tags every year with a crossbow (legally) but it's a pain in the butt to do it because of the warm weather. Unless I see a good buck I fill my tags with a rifle. With moose I'm not picky. I'll put a bolt into any bull that shows up......if I ever get drawn!

Hagalaz
02-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Just coyotes with a longbow for me, nothing larger than that.

Dave the Demon
02-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Im a fan of my .300 win mag myself but also use and 8mm mauser for big game. havent settled on a caliber for predators yet. and way to out of practice with the bow to try that anytime soon

Vingiu
02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Exclusively hunting with a rifle at this point - one more season and I'm going to start bowhunting as well.

crownb
02-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Pretty cool thread.

I use both but take the majority of my game with the bow. Although it is nice once and a while to reach out and touch one with the rifle. If I had to pick tomorrow one weapon it would be hands down bow, nothing like getting in close.

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Rifle only for me, I don't have the patience for a bow.

Tundra Monkey
02-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Just coyotes with a longbow for me, nothing larger than that.

That's very...... very :cool:

Luv the honesty RyRy....I'm with ya!!

L.O.S.T.Arrow
02-04-2013, 09:15 AM
:D 90% bow...but enjoy the black powder and taken the Tikka for a walk occasionaly when it gets bitter cold and critters move at the speed of sound..

:)
Neil

Stinky Coyote
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Pretty cool thread.

i'm a dual guy, majority of my big game comes via bow, some seasons may get close to 50/50 depending on draws but almost always its around 75% bow 25% rifle, often times all bow no rifle but am enjoying the firearms thing as much as the archery thing in terms of toys, definitely more rewarding killing with the bow gear

Okotokian
02-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Would like a more accurate number. ?

Any number you get will be in no way accurate.

Okotokian
02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
I don't have the patience for a bow.

I don't have the skill. Being able to consistently get within 30-40 yards of your quarry. Gotta respect that. When I do that it's usually luck.

walking buffalo
02-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Any number you get will be in no way accurate.

Zero accuracy? That's not possible.

It actually falls within the usual margins of error for this type of poll.

Okotokian
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
It actually falls within the usual margins of error for this type of poll.

And what would the margin of error be in this case? Responses are not random. The OP is not calling people randomly.

I simply said it would not be accurate. If 50 people answer this poll and say they use firarms, what precisely is the accurate number he will have generated, besides "at least 50 AO members own and use firearms"? If everyone who answers says they use a firearm, does that mean every AO forum member owns and uses firarms? Obviously not.

I'm just saying that if you post something for everyone to answer or not answer voluntarily, it doesn't tell you much. That's all. No biggie. :) I'm probably getting too picky LOL

walking buffalo
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
And what would the margin of error be in this case? Responses are not random. The OP is not calling people randomly.

I simply said it would not be accurate. If 50 people answer this poll and say they use firarms, what precisely is the accurate number he will have generated, besides "at least 50 AO members own and use firearms"? If everyone who answers says they use a firearm, does that mean every AO forum member owns and uses firarms? Obviously not.

I'm just saying that if you post something for everyone to answer or not answer voluntarily, it doesn't tell you much. That's all. No biggie. :) I'm probably getting too picky LOL

It's nice to know that all those phone polls I refused to participate in are invalid. ;)

In essence, people within the Outdoorsman community were called. Some did not answer the phone (open the thread), some answered the phone and hung up ( did not vote) , others voted. Given a population and a sample size, a margin of error can be calculated.

What is the margin of error for this poll? Based on 100, 000 hunters, with 281 responses so far, the margin of error is +- 5.84%.

Rhino81
02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Let's try to keep this at the top and have most every one vote.

Jameson340
02-04-2013, 06:53 PM
I bow hunt everything except sheep, coyotes and my bison draw this year.
Bowtech Destroyer 340 bow. Remington 700 22-250 coyotes. .375 h&h mag for the Bison. Recently finished decking out my 7mm rem mag, new sheep rifle!

TRAPPER92
02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
.270 WSM Browning X-Bolt for hunting; .204 Ruger for Coyotes etc, and picked up a Mathews Monster this year for bow hunting.
I did Bow hunt in the past but took a few years hiatus after my Hoyt burned up along with my truck!

the pilot cock
02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I'd love to say that I hunt with both, but the truth is that as a fairly new hunter, I have taken my bow out for a few lovely walks in the woods and then we've sat for many hours in a tree stand together and then walked home, but is that truly "hunting" with a bow? I do almost all of my hunting in strathcona county so I have a slug gun and a bow. With a rifled barrel and scope, when I am out elsewhere, I can still put them down with the shotgun so I've had no reason to buy a rifle. Hoping to actually hunt with a bow this year.

jackwyatt08
02-06-2013, 05:52 PM
My main-
Rem 700 CDL DM 26" Barrell in 300 Win Mag with Satin Finish Stock, X-Mark trigger and Super Cell Recoil Pad- Bushnell Elite Scope.

Bow
Quest Rogue - Fluid Cam system
60 pnds

Wham on both fronts!!!!

338Bluff
02-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Interesting... almost 53% use both.

That explains a lot.

Yet the bow permits indicate that there are significantly less than half of the big game hunters using archery gear. The gun is still the weapon of choice.

What I infer is that the average AO member is a well rounded, renaissance kind of hunter. They do it all!:sHa_shakeshout:

Or maybe there are a pile of guys forgetting to buy that little stamp?:scared0018:

jd7mmultra
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
I use only rifles.

338Bluff
02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
For the record. I spend 2/3 of the season bowhunting and will pick up a rifle if I feel the need to. Lately is has been my muzzleloader I take after bow season wraps up.

It's all good:)

old30-06
02-06-2013, 07:34 PM
7-08 or 30-06 for hunting deer and elk. 22 for gophers

coolpete1
02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
killed just about everything legal with model 700 7mm rem mag, lately model 700 7mm08 , and just bought an x bolt .243 .

Rhino81
02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Ttt

WhiteFalcon
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Tikka T3 7-08 use it for everything deer, moose, yotes

KegRiver
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I own a compound bow but I've never hunted with it.

I use rifles exclusively.

Hunter65
11-11-2013, 08:27 PM
I always thought weapons were for killing PEOPLE, I hunt with firearms and traditional bows. Remember the old saying " here is me weapon and here is my gun, weapons are for killing and guns are for fun."

A weapon, arm, or armament is any device used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings. I didn't make that up, wiki did. I tend to agree.

If I used a baseball bat on an intruder, but didn't kill him, I suspect I would have used a weapon on him.

corey b
11-11-2013, 08:36 PM
surprised so many people hunt with both