PDA

View Full Version : Hunter ED proof

Stewie
02-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have ran into this... I have booked a hunt in Hawaii for mid-April and in order to get my license there I need to show proof that I have taken the hunter ed course in Alberta... I took it back in the early 90's... back than F&W ran the courses and now Alberta Hunter ED runs these I guess... and from what I have been told they didn't transfer any of the records...

any ideas on who else to contact to get proof...

Full Curl Earl
02-02-2013, 09:57 AM
I have had almost 100% success in providing my WIN # as proof of Hunter Ed. We of course know this is not always the case. But in my hunting travels, only New Mexico wanted to see the actual Hunter Ed Certificate.
You would have rec. one as well, but I realize things go missing.

Stewie
02-02-2013, 10:17 AM
I was told your WIN is not proof you have taken hunter Ed. Even though you can't buy tags and what not if you haven't taken the course. The hunter Ed also told me I could be charged for poaching if I am stopped by F&W and can't show proof that I have taken a course...

I talked to F&W about that and they said no that's not the case

Full Curl Earl
02-02-2013, 10:52 AM
I would suggest you take the on-line course through AHEIA. You should be able to bang it out in no time and make your Hawaii trip.

cruiserheads
02-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I would suggest you take the on-line course through AHEIA. You should be able to bang it out in no time and make your Hawaii trip.

I was thinking of doing this myself. It was only 34 years ago that I took the course through Jr. Forest Wardens.

Neil.

nube
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I had the same issue when I wanted to hunt in Washington. AHEIA was no help at all,and down right rude when I was trying to work with them. They erased all data in the 90's I believe. I took mine in junior high and of course after years of having a license I chucked the documents not needing them. AHEIA was no help on this issue and said tough luck and wanted me to pay a pile of money to redo it all. I luckily found a way around it and after being treated the way I did from the lady at AHEIA I will say they will have 0 support from me.
I will do what I can to help you out Stewie. Sounds like you got the same BS I did and got treated the same way. I hate to down an organization that does things for kids but I am still livid after the way I was treated and will support it as little as possible.

Huevos
02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
3 suggestions.
1. Show that you have an alberta hunting licence and take regulations stating the only way to get one is by taking hunters ed, or....
2. There is a really nice thing called printers. How is Hawaii going to tell if the certificate in your hand is valid? Make one up and print it on business card stock. Its not like they have a hotline to alberta fish and wildlife. Even if they did, F&W already chucked your records. Not your fault.
3. challange the test again. costs a bit, but is totally legit and you will have proof for the next time you want to go somewhere else.

Dick284
02-03-2013, 08:39 AM
3 suggestions.
1. Show that you have an alberta hunting licence and take regulations stating the only way to get one is by taking hunters ed, or....
2. There is a really nice thing called printers. How is Hawaii going to tell if the certificate in your hand is valid? Make one up and print it on business card stock. Its not like they have a hotline to alberta fish and wildlife. Even if they did, F&W already chucked your records. Not your fault.
3. challange the test again. costs a bit, but is totally legit and you will have proof for the next time you want to go somewhere else.

For gawds sakes actually read the regulation. Only first time hunters need the course!!!! If you hunted before or elsewhere your good to go.

Where do all of you guys actually get your information! Try reading instead of spouting BS!

Stewie
02-03-2013, 09:24 AM
For gawds sakes actually read the regulation. Only first time hunters need the course!!!! If you hunted before or elsewhere your good to go.

Where do all of you guys actually get your information! Try reading instead of spouting BS!

Thanks Dick... What I need is my certificate showing I have taken my Hunter Ed, same as Nube it was in the 90's and I don't have it anymore!

After being called a poacher and to just pay the $75 and redo the course isn't going to happen, they won't see anymore of my money...

Dick284
02-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks Dick... What I need is my certificate showing I have taken my Hunter Ed, same as Nube it was in the 90's and I don't have it anymore!

After being called a poacher and to just pay the $75 and redo the course isn't going to happen, they won't see anymore of my money...

There are US based online courses too, do a google.

BTW the rant was about guys not knowing the Alberta process

Stewie
02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
There are US based online courses too, do a google.

It has to be from Alberta

Dick284
02-03-2013, 09:57 AM
I am no big fan of AHEIA either their strangle hold on aspects of hunting in Alberta makes me want someone to just "follow the money".

I am not sure what you have to do at this point, maybe rattling your MLA's cage calling for them to push AHEIA to help instead of hinder!

Stewie
02-03-2013, 10:01 AM
I am no big fan of AHEIA either their strangle hold on aspects of hunting in Alberta makes me want someone to just "follow the money".

I am not sure what you have to do at this point, maybe rattling your MLA's cage calling for them to push AHEIA to help instead of hinder!

Ya that's the plan... Nube is also helping me out on this so we will see what happens I guess

Lefty-Canuck
02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
I was lucky that my folks found my hunting course certificate from the 80s and I put it in a safe place...IMHO there is no reason why you couldn't take an old hunting license to folks who administer the course and get them to make a replacement for a small fee....this should be offered as part of the process.

There should be no need to cash grab and retake the course.

LC

nube
02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Ya that's the plan... Nube is also helping me out on this so we will see what happens I guess

I need that info from you Stewie to be able to help you out if I can. I am willing to try

grinr
02-03-2013, 05:57 PM

For gawds sake,did you even read the OP or topic in question?:rolleye2:

Dick284
02-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Fer gawd sakes did you even look who I quoted?

Versatile
02-03-2013, 11:06 PM

He just likes to complain and bobble his big head around. Over the years of reading this forum ive learned to just skip over his posts as soon as I see the user name.