PDA

View Full Version : Seniors have to pay?

Lady White
02-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Has anyone else heard that people over the age of 65 are going to have to buy fishing licenses starting March 31, 2013. Just wondering cause dad keeps hearing rumours about it. I actually think it is a great idea maybe this way we can get more fish stocked in our lakes? I'd even be will to pay more money for my licenses if it the lakes would be stocked and made more sustainable for future generations.

:wave:

huntsfurfish
02-02-2013, 07:04 PM
:)Hope so, long over due.

Now just have to get the kids licencing.:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
02-02-2013, 07:11 PM
:)Hope so, long over due.

Now just have to get the kids licencing.:sHa_shakeshout:

It would likely have to be under a guardians name because I don't think a child can enter into an agreement of that sort.

Lornce
02-02-2013, 07:13 PM
We'll see when the new regs come out in March.

BobM
02-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Oh no after 40 odd years of paying for a license just wheh I can get a free one they take it away, just wait one more year before you make me pay again

Lady White
02-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I hear it is going to be a reduced amount have of what everyone else pays. I also hear it is a way of tracking the number of anglers in the province.

Gust
02-02-2013, 08:09 PM
It would likely have to be under a guardians name because I don't think a child can enter into an agreement of that sort.

How old were you when you signed in for your s.i.n number?

I think the old farts should pay, no more 5% off at the vulcan a&w for breakfast either and hopefully no more getting on the bus first because of the walker and if I have to give my seat up to one more old dude sporting a poppy on his lapel forr 12 months straight, I will lose it! Who do these geezers think they are and what did they do to desrve such a long -maybe ten year long- free ride after 65?

Kids? Don't get me started!

AppleJax
02-02-2013, 08:27 PM

I think the old farts should pay, no more 5% off at the vulcan a&w for breakfast either and hopefully no more getting on the bus first because of the walker and if I have to give my seat up to one more old dude sporting a poppy on his lapel forr 12 months straight, I will lose it! Who do these geezers think they are and what did they do to desrve such a long -maybe ten year long- free ride after 65?

Coming from the guy who just bought an ice tent for his dad because he's too old......

huntsfurfish
02-02-2013, 08:29 PM

kids get hunting licences

Gust
02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Coming from the guy who just bought an ice tent for his dad because he's too old......

Being facetious you nut bar,,, I mean, uhm,,, nevermind.

Anyways, the old guy is all for it.

Fishingaddict
02-02-2013, 09:17 PM
so what now kids need licences is this true

Gust
02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
so what now kids need licences is this true

I think kids should get a free license as a way for me to get a set of regs into kids hands,,, not all kids are taking up fishing via a mom or dad or uncle so regs aren't a real issue or -rather- not thought about,,, it would also help with knowing how many fishers are out there.

BeeGuy
02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
kids get hunting licences

really?

rottie
02-02-2013, 09:35 PM
at age 12 they need a licence if they are hunting game/bird

Pincherguy
02-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I am looking forward to fishing for free. No problem in haveing to get a license just make it at a reduced rate. Same with the kids, as long as the cash goes to the right place. If they feel the need to keep track of how many are fishing I guess this is one way to do it. I think they should give us a break on the hunting license as well.
PG

cranky
02-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I threw out my win card along with license when i turned 65. Suppose ill have to pay for new win card too. Or can i get another copy if i dont know the number?

retired2
02-02-2013, 10:02 PM

The writer sounds like he has a problem, but then again, you really can't expect anything more from a pig than a grunt.

Gust
02-02-2013, 10:23 PM
The writer sounds like he has a problem, but then again, you really can't expect anything more from a pig than a grunt.

You and applejax have are hard time reading obvious sarcasm,,

BeeGuy
02-02-2013, 10:28 PM
You and applejax have are hard time reading obvious sarcasm,,

Blatantly obvious.

Sad part is, is that the sentiments expressed on the board are often so ridiculous that sarcasm is effectively camouflaged.

Pincherguy
02-02-2013, 11:05 PM
This is probably no more than a rumor, we will jsut have to wait and see. The same as they are going to alllow cross bows during archery season.
PG

Jimboy
02-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Has anyone else heard that people over the age of 65 are going to have to buy fishing licenses starting March 31, 2013. Just wondering cause dad keeps hearing rumours about it. I actually think it is a great idea maybe this way we can get more fish stocked in our lakes? I'd even be will to pay more money for my licenses if it the lakes would be stocked and made more sustainable for future generations.

:wave:

ok kids pay too then ,l,ll write letters for that to happen.

VanIsleGuy
02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
I say make everyone pay. It goes to a good cause, don't it?

Kim473
02-03-2013, 03:51 AM
The monies collected would just go to Redfords next big Olympic trip or something. Remember, no tax increase. Nothing said about taxing in other ways. We won't raise taxes! We will just tax more things and make new ones.

Not a good idea at all. Under 65, fish say 10 times or more durring a year. Over 65 fish maybe 5 times year. Just an average, guess.
We need senior's to pay more of there fair share, no more freebees! They got too much money in the bank! Were too easy on them. Should shovel thier own snow too!
NOT !

Just a little bit of sarcasum here. Leave the seniors alone. They don't need to pay. They can say have to have a licence to serve as a registration, but should not have to pay for it.

Swede
02-03-2013, 05:27 AM
I say over 65 shouldn't have to pay. I wouldn't mind the cost of a licence been increased to about 100$ per year but only if it goes back to the fishery. Doesn't really matter I've made enough money in Alberta to retire and spend it where they actually have a clue how to manage there fisherys.

tallieho
02-03-2013, 07:51 AM
the last time that i saw ms.Redford talking about increases she said that she didn't believe it would be fair .To increase things,just to help with the defeit.
I on the other hand believe that if you use the resource you should have to pay.

pikeslayer22
02-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I say seniors pay and extend the non payment to the youth until possibly 18. I am pretty sure any senior out fishing has more monies than a young family or youth!

jeffrey929
02-03-2013, 08:46 AM
I think a processing fee would be more than fair

gramps73
02-03-2013, 08:53 AM
If you think that charging seniors and kids is going to help with putting more money into the fishing Alberta man are you wrong.
All money goes to general revenue and fishing and hunting are far from the top...

walleye1
02-03-2013, 09:02 AM
How about just making seniors have a W.I.N. card and maybe a small fee for a fishing license when you get a WIN card.
All they have to do is to renew the win card and license every 5 years. That way F&W can keep track of the anglers if that is why they intend to do this

fogducker
02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
i think after 45 years of paying taxes some things in life should be free.if you want more fish around for other generations try catch and release than you dont have to worry about restocking programs.

cranky
02-03-2013, 09:06 AM
If any senior can prove he/she cant afford it,and frankly there are some im sure,id like to think someone would pay it for them. I know i would and im a senior. Im in favour if and i say IF i knew money stayed in F&W but it wont!

My question earlier didnt get answered. Maybe ill phone and find out. Ive tried to search it on net but to no avail.
I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if Win card gets lost or thrown out how one gets another if i have no record of the number. Im guessing i cant buy another one if they find out my old one has not expired yet. Anyone?

walking buffalo
02-03-2013, 09:40 AM
If you think that charging seniors and kids is going to help with putting more money into the fishing Alberta man are you wrong.

All money goes to general revenue and fishing and hunting are far from the top...

That's not correct Gramps.

A licence levy goes directly to ACA. $4.2 million in 2011/12 from fishing licence sales.

huntsfurfish
02-03-2013, 09:51 AM
That's not correct Gramps.

A licence levy goes directly to ACA. $4.2 million in 2011/12 from fishing licence sales.

Beat me to it.:)

fogducker
02-03-2013, 09:52 AM
If your win has not expired you just have to get a replacement card.if it has expired they will give you a new one just go on albertarealm and buy one.

huntsfurfish
02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
A fishing licence is only about $26 bucks. People that is for a year. 9 holes of golf can cost more. What does a movie cost these days(havent been for years)? Eat out for 13.00 x 2(burger and fries) and there is a cost of afishing licence. I mean its only 7 cents a day to fish all year. $26.00 a day for just one day of entertainment. $13.00 a day for 2 days, $3.71 a day for a week of fishing, 87 cents a day for 30 days of fishing.

To expensive, get real

Pretty much every town, city or village is close to a water body of some sort, or stocked pond. No cheaper entertainment than that.

edit- oh ya and if seniors(which I am approaching) pay about half than licence figures above should be halved as well!:)

SCHOOCH
02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I could care less if i would have to get my kids a fishing license......im quite a few years away from being a senior though so it wouldnt be fair for me to comment on that regulation change. The only thing that i dont like is now Alberta is facing a deficit.......where do you think all that extra $ is really going to go......if this is real and does happen we will all be stuck with it but i call BS!!!!!!!!!:snapoutofit:

Winch101
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I have scoured the net and can find no place that mentions

A change for seniors..... Where is this printed and whom

Can you contact about this being true .

And if it is ....I see a "Pay no more " movement wait

Never say movement to an old guy... I, putting the ice

Cleats on my walkers as we speak...

Gust the following not allowed on here satire,sarcasism,any kind
Of sardonic comment , humour verboten , double entendre absolutely not.
No slurs except, about liberals......everything else fair game.

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 01:32 PM
OMG!!!!!
Some of you are supporting paying more $$$$$...??????
Are u guys nutso???
I cant believe you would support old age people be gouged for more money!!!
Let em retire in comfort....it's been a long hard life battle I'm sure.
What happened to respect for elderly????
It's a sad state of affairs in N American culture.
Conservation does NOT happen by attacking our wallets....
Even though thats what our Gov't leads us to believe....like higher gas prices/taxes.
Give ur heads a shake!!!!!

pecker
02-03-2013, 01:35 PM
OMG!!!!!
Are u guys nutso???
Conservation does not happen by attacking our wallets....
Even though thats what our Gov't leads us to believe....like higher gas taxes.

yup. :sHa_shakeshout:

Meow
02-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I have to admit, I have enormous respect for seniors and it would be nice if the didn't have to pay for some things, or at least provide a discounted rate.

One thing I do think about is, given that so many baby boomers have and will be entering retirement, this may put a fair burden on the budget.

I hope though, that if seniors are not doing well financially, that we can help them.

bobalong
02-03-2013, 02:14 PM
OMG!!!!!
Are u guys nutso???
Conservation does NOT happen by attacking our wallets....
Even though thats what our Gov't leads us to believe....like higher gas prices/taxes.

I have every respect for the seniors of our province, and am not that many years away from being a senior myself. I support a nominal angling fee for seniors and youths. I have stated this on here before and I will state it again, how do you manage a resource like fishing, when you do not know how many users you have. I suppose the govt. may have some type of estimating tool, but they really have no way of knowing how many senior and youth anglers are using the resource.

If you charged a nominal fee of 5.00 for seniors and youth I can not believe that would be a hardship on anyone. If you have the ability to purchase angling gear, a vehicle and possibly a boat as well, another 5.00 will not prevent you from going fishing. You look at any sport that a youth decides to participate in, you will not find one that you can do all year that has a 5.00 participation fee.

I have four sons who participated in numerous sports over the years, and the fees I paid were substantially more than 5.00 for each of them, and none of them lasted for a full year, nor could they participate in them every day, even if they were able to. I feel that my kids participating in sports was worth the money and would have bought them all fishing licences as well, if they were required.

Even if you charged full price for a fishing licence for a senior or youth, when you put things in perspective, the cost (user fee) is probably the best deal going in our province.

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I have every respect for the seniors of our province, and am not that many years away from being a senior myself. I support a nominal angling fee for seniors and youths. I have stated this on here before and I will state it again, how do you manage a resource like fishing, when you do not know how many users you have. I suppose the govt. may have some type of estimating tool, but they really have no way of knowing how many senior and youth anglers are using the resource.

If you charged a nominal fee of 5.00 for seniors and youth I can not believe that would be a hardship on anyone. If you have the ability to purchase angling gear, a vehicle and possibly a boat as well, another 5.00 will not prevent you from going fishing. You look at any sport that a youth decides to participate in, you will not find one that you can do all year that has a 5.00 participation fee.

I have four sons who participated in numerous sports over the years, and the fees I paid were substantially more for than 5.00 for each of them, and none of them lasted for a full year, nor could they participate in them every day, even if they were able to. I feel that my kids participating in sports was worth the money and would have bought them all fishing licences as well, if they were required.

Even if you charged full price for a fishing licence for a senior or youth, when you put things in perspective, the cost (user fee) is probably the best deal going in our province.

I can respect your comments sir....
But a fee does not help the Gov't keep track of anglers or fish counts and conservation issues.
More fees do not = better conservation
It's commercial harvesting that makes the biggest impacts (legal and illegal).
But it's the common sporter that pays the price.
How the already monies is used is the key....
Maybe just that youth's and seniors should register is good enough without a fee???
I'm sick of fee's for every darn thing.....
Now water fee's, battery fees, plastics fees, oil recycle fees, licence fees (motorcycle), boat licence fees, huntig or fishing area or species fees, ...etc etc etc.....It's an epidemic....do we really neeeeed more????????

pikergolf
02-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Managing a fishery costs money, it's has to come from somewhere.

bobalong
02-03-2013, 02:43 PM
But a fee does not help the Gov't keep track of anglers or fish counts and conservation issues.
Maybe just that youth's and seniors should register is good enough without a fee???
Now water fee's, battery fees, plastics fees, oil recycle fees, licence fees (motorcycle), boat licence fees, huntig or fishing area or species fees, ...etc etc etc.....It's an epidemic....do we really neeeeed more????????

I agree the fees do get to be a PIA. I think even if Seniors and Youth registered it would be a great help, remaining free would not really bother me all, but I think they do need to know how many actual (or at least close) anglers there are in the province.

huntsfurfish
02-03-2013, 02:45 PM

I have four sons who participated in numerous sports over the years, and the fees I paid were substantially more than 5.00 for each of them, and none of them lasted for a full year, nor could they participate in them every day, even if they were able to. I feel that my kids participating in sports was worth the money and would have bought them all fishing licences as well, if they were required.

Exactly And I have posted the same thing or similar before as well. But the highlighted even more so.

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Managing a fishery costs money, it's has to come from somewhere.

We already pay taxes on everything.....and the AB gov't is talking about increased taxes this fiscal year.....
Go ahead.....pay more if ur happy w/ it....feed the Gov'ts big business ventures.....I have too much money myself :scared:
When the gov't wants more money...they're quickest cash grab is to raise gas prices.....it's really that simple...like it or lump it

huntsfurfish
02-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Better yet it keeps track of fisherpeople.
Actually, it does = more fees which in turn helps toward conservation.
Commercial fishing, actually it is sport fishing(legal and illegal).
Sport fishermen should pay the price:)
Seniors and youth can pay for a low cost entertainment (please see my earliar post #35).
Rest of your post is just a rant and you need to get used to it. Large portion of population gonna be retired/seniors.:snapoutofit::)

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Better yet it keeps track of fisherpeople.
Actually, it does = more fees which in turn helps toward conservation.
Commercial fishing, actually it is sport fishing(legal and illegal).
Sport fishermen should pay the price:)
Seniors and youth can pay for a low cost entertainment (please see my earliar post #35).
Rest of your post is just a rant and you need to get used to it. Large portion of population gonna be retired/seniors.:snapoutofit::)

If you say so :(
And where did I elude to the fishing licence being too high of a cost ????
I DIDNT!!!!!!
Not sure ur follwing my line of reasoning kind sir??? :snapoutofit:
Ya maybe a bit of a rant....agreed
And I am used to gettn gouged every time I open my wallet....thanks for reminding me hahahaha

huntsfurfish
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
guess not:)

tallieho
02-03-2013, 05:42 PM
i think after 45 years of paying taxes some things in life should be free.if you want more fish around for other generations try catch and release than you dont have to worry about restocking programs.

So. Then i have owned a house for years never had kids.Why then should i have taxes/school feez for 30+ years..It cost money to run schools just like it costs money to run fisheries managment..

pecker
02-03-2013, 06:27 PM

$5.00 won't starve a senior -- but it's a START. :mad0030:

Don Andersen
02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
How about a fishing license/day should equal a cup of coffee. That makes my yearly fee from $200>250.
Gas cost for the same trips $2500>3500.
And you wants charge me $20 for a fishing license.

Bah hum big!!!! I can't afford it!
And yes I am over 65.

Don

huntsfurfish
02-03-2013, 09:06 PM
How about a fishing license/day should equal a cup of coffee. That makes my yearly fee from $200>250.
Gas cost for the same trips $2500>3500.
And you wants charge me $20 for a fishing license.

Bah hum big!!!! I can't afford it!
And yes I am over 65.

Don

lol and well said

fogducker
02-03-2013, 09:52 PM
its not a matter of being able to afford it i think most if not all can.think of it as a pat on the back after almost fifty years of paying a fee to fish.if you think of it most of them most likely wont be fishing after they turn 80 or not as much so they get 15 years free.dont see what the big deal is some things in life should be free after 65.now i just got to hold out for another 25 years but buy that time the price will be through the roof.

C Taylor
02-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Personally I would sooner pay more for mine than have to mouch off the seniors. They have paid their dues. When seniors were in the working force they managed to pay the way for seniors at the time. We have more people in the Alberta work force now than ever. It's like buying your grandparents dinner, not because they can't afford it but out of respect.
I always hear that we need to keep track of how many seniors fish. Why. Buying a liecense doesn't tell anybody how many times a year they fish or how many they keep but it sure sounds like a good excuse

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 09:59 PM
its not a matter of being able to afford it i think most if not all can.think of it as a pat on the back after almost fifty years of paying a fee to fish.if you think of it most of them most likely wont be fishing after they turn 80 or not as much so they get 15 years free.dont see what the big deal is some things in life should be free after 65.now i just got to hold out for another 25 years but buy that time the price will be through the roof.

Right you are sir.....its time to give the elderly some slack after a life of struggle....when is it cool for the elderly to relax....when they r dead....NO...cut em some slack...let em know that life can be a little lax.

huntsfurfish
02-03-2013, 10:01 PM

Yup, probably be a preposterous amout like $30.00 - $35.00 by then:)

pat on the back, heck just be glad you/we make it to 65:sHa_shakeshout:

Don Andersen
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
A quick story,

Was heading home on afternoon passing by Cow Lake when there was 10>15 lb. rainbows in there.
A few guys were in the parking lot and I pulled up next to two guys and asked of the fishing was going. We'll, says one, We're coming back from BC and don't know how it is here. I asked how fishing was n BC. And he replyed " don't know. We never fished. We didn't know they charge seniors out there for licenses." We can't afford them!
With that I chuckled as I glanced at the equipment they were running. One guy had a 10' camper on a new one ton Ford hauling a 18'+ boat while the other's 30'+ motorhome was hauling a boat even larger.
With all that equipment it's no damn wonder they can't afford a license.

Don

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 10:16 PM
A quick story,

Was heading home on afternoon passing by Cow Lake when there was 10>15 lb. rainbows in there.
A few guys were in the parking lot and I pulled up next to two guys and asked of the fishing was going. We'll, says one, We're coming back from BC and don't know how it is here. I asked how fishing was n BC. And he replyed " don't know. We never fished. We didn't know they charge seniors out there for licenses." We can't afford them!
With that I chuckled as I glanced at the equipment they were running. One guy had a 10' camper on a new one ton Ford hauling a 18'+ boat while the other's 30'+ motorhome was hauling a boat even larger.
With all that equipment it's no damn wonder they can't afford a license.

Don

Strange days indeed

Lady White
02-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I have scoured the net and can find no place that mentions

A change for seniors..... Where is this printed and whom

Can you contact about this being true .

And if it is ....I see a "Pay no more " movement wait

Never say movement to an old guy... I, putting the ice

Cleats on my walkers as we speak...

Gust the following not allowed on here satire,sarcasism,any kind
Of sardonic comment , humour verboten , double entendre absolutely not.
No slurs except, about liberals......everything else fair game.
Just overheard so old.guys complaining about it thats all. I.was wondering myself.

Pikebreath
02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=Meow;1833139]I have to admit, I have enormous respect for seniors and it would be nice if the didn't have to pay for some things, or at least provide a discounted rate.

One thing I do think about is, given that so many baby boomers have and will be entering retirement, this may put a fair burden on the budget.

QUOTE]

Exactly!!!!

Within the next 10 years all the boomers (myself included in that number) will be over 65, When that happen over 25% of the population will collecting CPP, OAS and other pension plan benefits. Yet as a socio-economic group, there is no other group as wealthy as the boomers. Some estimates put 80% of North American household wealth controlled by the baby boom generation.

You young'uns better start making some serious money so you can pay the higher taxes needed to support us boomers to the lifestyle we have become accustomed to while fishing for free!!!

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=Meow;1833139]I have to admit, I have enormous respect for seniors and it would be nice if the didn't have to pay for some things, or at least provide a discounted rate.

QUOTE]

Exactly!!!!

Within the next 10 years all the boomers (myself included in that number) will be over 65, When that happen over 25% of the population will collecting CPP, OAS and other pension plan benefits. Yet as a socio-economic group, there is no other group as wealthy as the boomers. Some estimates put 80% of North American household wealth controlled by the baby boom generation.

You young'uns better start making some serious money so you can pay the higher taxes needed to support us boomers to the lifestyle we have become accustomed to while fishing for free!!!

BINGO....trouble on the horizon

latenite
02-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Definitely a touchy subject. Wow. I guess when I become a senior, a five buck fee wouldn't be all that bad. I think we need more seniors input on this one. I still think it should be a reduced fee though. Seniors discount at restaurants, why not on license fees too??? IMHO. Really, what is the average fisherpersons per lake, 300 or something like that? I think there is enough anglers to handle the fee load. :)

MtnGiant
02-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Definitely a touchy subject. Wow. I guess when I become a senior, a five buck fee wouldn't be all that bad. I think we need more seniors input on this one. I still think it should be a reduced fee though. Seniors discount at restaurants, why not on license fees too??? IMHO. Really, what is the average fisherpersons per lake, 300 or something like that? I think there is enough anglers to handle the fee load. :)

No fee has been set yet....the point is....should there be a fee for seniors....I say NO

Gust
02-03-2013, 11:16 PM
No fee has been set yet....the point is....should there be a fee for seniors....I say NO

My dad turns 83 on tuesday,, I asked him yesterday and he said "sounds fair" and had many reasons why. He is also of that salt of the earth group that that ppaid his dues, never complained and so forth.

Our fuel consumption per month to fish is about $250, $20 on potato chips alone $15 bux per year is no big deal.

Every fisher should have a license whether free or a small fee for the below sixteen and over 65. As mentioned, just to get the current regs into the hands of those who dont go to the counter at the fishing store.

wetchimo
02-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Should kids under 16 have to pay to? There has to be a light at the end of the rainbow so, seniors should get their license for free.

rmatei
02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm 3 years away from 65 so I'm looking forward to fishing for free. Just remember that license fees are just taxes. Every time you turn around we are being TAXED. It is not the cost of the license that is the issue it's just that seniors will pay less tax. Even with a free license add up all the taxes you pay to hunt and fish, gas tax, hotel room tax, GST on gear. And today if you want to keep a walleye pay more tax on that tag you need.

Cal
02-04-2013, 07:33 AM
I dont so much know about the seniors thing but charging for kids is just plain wrong IMO. I see a bunch of guys on here saying they would gladly pay for their kids fishing licence. Thats great for your kids, but I grew up in a home where my parents couldnt care less if I went fishing or not. We grew up well under the poverty line and what money I could get my hands on in a year (Usualy about $20 for my birthday) barely kept hooks in my tackle box. If I'd have had to spring for a fishing licence I would never have been able do it. As well I often take my childrens non-fishing friends out just to give them a taste and see if they like it, if me or their parents had to spring for a licence this would likely happen alot less. I'm sure theres plenty of us on here who got into fishing after being invited along by the neighbors, we could kiss most of these life long licence buyers goodbye should a children's licence be brought in. The seniors will be ok, do not licence the children!!!

Don Andersen
02-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Folks,

Here is some background material on seniors

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=4268

Catch ya'

Don

huntsfurfish
02-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for posting the link/info DA

huntsfurfish
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Personally I think it should be same for seniors, but $15.00 is a reduced rate and is better than nothing.

huntsfurfish
02-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm 3 years away from 65 so I'm looking forward to fishing for free. Just remember that license fees are just taxes. Every time you turn around we are being TAXED. It is not the cost of the license that is the issue it's just that seniors will pay less tax. Even with a free license add up all the taxes you pay to hunt and fish, gas tax, hotel room tax, GST on gear. And today if you want to keep a walleye pay more tax on that tag you need.

Think of it as a user fee.

huntsfurfish
02-04-2013, 09:42 AM
As for kids, a $5.00 licence for (fishing on their own or fishing with adult with their limit part of the adults). Or regular priced for their own limit.

See to many people with their kids "fishing" having rods for each and limits for each taking fish and the kids are hardly ever around. Not poaching but should be:). Need to fix that loophole!

Mike_W
02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
This is probably no more than a rumor, we will jsut have to wait and see. The same as they are going to alllow cross bows during archery season.PG

Oh no you didn't!! lol

Anyway I think a reduced rate for seniors is fair but I dont agree with kids needing a licence....maybe change the age to 14 instead of 16 or something like that but the only thing I can see making kids have licences is Dad or uncle might not take the youngster along to "find out" if he likes fishing, or for the one or two trips a year if it's going to cost him $25 bucks a kid.

huntsfurfish
02-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Oh no you didn't!! lol

Anyway I think a reduced rate for seniors is fair but I dont agree with kids needing a licence....maybe change the age to 14 instead of 16 or something like that but the only thing I can see making kids have licences is Dad or uncle might not take the youngster along to "find out" if he likes fishing, or for the one or two trips a year if it's going to cost him $25 bucks a kid.

If the licence was $5.00 ish for kids with limit part of an attending adults licence or $26.00 for setting the kids up to have their own licence.

But dad or uncle might spend hundreds to find out if they want to play hockey or some other sport?

Pincherguy
02-04-2013, 10:46 AM
I personally think they should leave everything the hell alone. Trying to make a few extra bucks off of seniors and kids is dumb. If they were to double the cost of fishing licence for those that require it would make more sense. Now if you will excuse me I have to go and polish my cross bow. Any suggestions as to a good brand Mike? :sHa_sarcasticlol:
PG

Cal
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Folks,

Here is some background material on seniors

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=4268

Catch ya'

Don

LOL I like your last comment there. "I believe you should get what you pay for, therfore even at $15 you are paying too much compared to other provinces." Great line.

Mike_W
02-04-2013, 08:21 PM
I personally think they should leave everything the hell alone. Trying to make a few extra bucks off of seniors and kids is dumb. If they were to double the cost of fishing licence for those that require it would make more sense. Now if you will excuse me I have to go and polish my cross bow. Any suggestions as to a good brand Mike? :sHa_sarcasticlol:
PG

Heard that Ten points are good!! At least that what Cody Robins says!!! Lol

MtnGiant
02-04-2013, 08:36 PM
OK...so I have changed my stance on this now....after a little investigation...it seems that the highest rate of fishing fines goes to seniors....so maybe a nominal fee and a set of regs will better keep them informed