PDA

View Full Version : Mcgregor today

cujo1969
02-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Was out on mcgregor today nice day on the ice. Caught lots small pike and 1 decent walleye. Cant seem find pike of any size in this lake. Tried different spots same thing everytime small pike maybe the odd time 1 would be big enough to keep.

Gust
02-02-2013, 09:13 PM
The lake has changed, the lake has changed.

But.....

Get off the beaten path, explore it and change your rig.

Clue; flash and noise.

BeeGuy
02-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Was out on mcgregor today nice day on the ice. Caught lots small pike and 1 decent walleye. Cant seem find pike of any size in this lake. Tried different spots same thing everytime small pike maybe the odd time 1 would be big enough to keep.

If you're fishing around the dam, that might be the issue.

cujo1969
02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Not by the dam about halfway down the lake. Doesnt seem to matter where we try its the same small pike.

Wes_G
02-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Thats what happens when the keepers get kept.

Gust
02-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Thats what happens when the keepers get kept.

I think that's what happens when oh so precious walleye overun the food belt like a giant swather.

The pike are long but skinny as snakes, they just can't compete with schools of 10 lb walleye and all classes smaller, imo.

Pikehunter13
02-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Well if you go straight across to the other side * east*of the boat launch, on the east shore you will find a small bay. Fish off the point. 8 feet deep.

Hammer handles.

GL

cujo1969
02-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Went out agian today for 3 hours only managed 2 hammer handles and couple other bites. Was in a different spot on west side.

Chris84
02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I think that's what happens when oh so precious walleye overun the food belt like a giant swather.

The pike are long but skinny as snakes, they just can't compete with schools of 10 lb walleye and all classes smaller, imo.

You know, I have fished this lake my entire life and I couldn't agree more with you Gust. The pike population used to be healthy and there seemed to be a good balance in the food chain. Once the focus was shifted to revitalizing the walleye population, things just went down from there. I've had over 25 years experience on this lake and it seems the pike population is not doing so well. I'm sure the increase in fishing pressure isn't helping things either. My brother caught a pike about 10lbs and the poor fish looked like a snake, I swear the pike was around forty inches long but only 10lbs.

Optics
02-03-2013, 08:24 PM
thats what happens when the keepers get kept.

exactly!!

cujo1969
02-03-2013, 08:36 PM
The keepers are not there in the first place. The lake doesnt get that much pressure compared to others travers and badger. The lake is 20 miles long. When last time you seen a report or pics of big pike from mcgregor?

chriscosta
02-03-2013, 08:51 PM
my friend lives in milo and he had a pic on his fb of a twelve and a fifteen pounder a couple yrs ago and he got it from shore somewhere close to milo

tacklerunner
02-03-2013, 08:56 PM
The keepers are not there in the first place. The lake doesnt get that much pressure compared to others travers and badger. The lake is 20 miles long. When last time you seen a report or pics of big pike from mcgregor?

Remember that report from Cold Lake? Maybe that's why you don't see reports or pics.

I'm not trying to stir up anything here but I will tell you that a friend of mine, a non AO forum member, got a 25 lber there last week.

It's not common and might take a lifetime to get one but they're in there so if you fish McGregor, don't give up. You never know. Same goes for any lake. You just never know.

Personally, I've never fished McGregor so can't speak for how it used to be or how it is now so because of how quickly things go sideways these days I feel like I have to assure you I'm not doubting your findings at all. Gust has been saying the same.

But there is one in there somewhere I know for sure. Just have to try and find it. :)

Gust
02-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I honed my fishing on mcgregor as a kid and booked many hours all over it,,, it's one thing to say "i know a guy who caught a big one there" as to saying "there's a good bite today on the lake". Of course there are the odd lunker but not a consistent lunker count. Same goes for the burbs.

The walleye - or hoovers - are doing really well as they eat everything a pike may noot.

rcales
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
We only caught two but they were of highest quality67351

Duster
02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
So am I the only one that has seen a pike eat a walleye?

Gust
02-04-2013, 08:19 PM

No, we found a 10 inch walleye in a pike a month or so back. Though, a mcgregor walleye would choke a musky,, there are some consistently big walleye - and healthy at that - in mcgregor. I'm sure there are some granpa lunkers feasting on them but they gotta be boig.

Wes_G
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM

My thoughts exactly!

Chris84
02-04-2013, 10:35 PM

They sure will, but the majority of the pike right now in mcgregor could get eaten by walleye. I hope they start allowing limited harvest of the walleye before they start getting stunted.