PDA

View Full Version : Big $'s for a Montana Sheep!!!!

Tundra Monkey
02-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Wow.....one can only dream!!!!

Well.....I can only dream about it. Come on Lotto Max!!!!

http://bid.wildsheepfoundation.org/STATE-OF-MONTANA-BIGHORN-SHEEP-LICENSE_i15298565

huntin
02-03-2013, 02:27 AM
How long till there is a new #1 B&C ram from Montana I say 3 years max.

cacty
02-03-2013, 07:08 AM
These sheep are maybe the equivalent of the farmland moose in Alta nd Sask. Just a discussion premise.

sheep nut
02-03-2013, 07:49 AM
And the Alberta tag sold for $150k.....crazy. The whole world knows our sheep quality is in trouble.

Torkdiesel
02-03-2013, 07:57 AM
And the Alberta tag sold for $150k.....crazy. The whole world knows our sheep quality is in trouble.

I agree, I was disapointed with that while watching the auction last night. Especially when the B.C. tag sold for $275,000 two hours earlier.

bdub
02-03-2013, 08:27 AM

x2 Looks like much better of an experience for a sheep hunt as well. Better than sitting on the edge of the mine in November waiting for one to cross the boundary.

pikeslayer22
02-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Looks like some good deals on dall sheep...as far as sitting on mine boundaries there's more to it than that for the November hunt IMHO...if I sat on one mountain everyday I was up there would have got skunked...we were hiking different hills morning and night

savagewsm
02-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Personally it is sad when only those with huge dollars can have access to hunting. If tags are limited then have a lottery where everyone can try. You would raise just as much money as with these auctions.

Wild game belongs to everyone and should have a chance not just the eleite class. I thought the days of Lords and serfs were over.

bdub
02-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Looks like some good deals on dall sheep...as far as sitting on mine boundaries there's more to it than that for the November hunt IMHO...if I sat on one mountain everyday I was up there would have got skunked...we were hiking different hills morning and night

Perhaps I should have said a different type of hunt PS22. Hey they are in T-shirts.:) I just find Cadomin such a small area and unique due to the mine, thats all. Maybe someday we will have huntable sheep populations in our river breaks like down south. I think if I had the ministers permit and piles of time I would hunt other areas of the province as well as Cadomin.

Torkdiesel
02-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Personally it is sad when only those with huge dollars can have access to hunting. If tags are limited then have a lottery where everyone can try. You would raise just as much money as with these auctions.

Wild game belongs to everyone and should have a chance not just the eleite class. I thought the days of Lords and serfs were over.

They do have a lottery for another tag just like this one. They also have a draw for the November hunt as well. WSF raises a lot of money for conservation by auctioning off these tags.

I wish people would stop complaining and crying about every god dam thing that happens with this sport. It's exausting listening to the naysayers all the time. Be happy we live in a country where hunts like this are possible.

savagewsm
02-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Every tag should be equally available to everyone. Frankly I don't give a crap if you are tired of hearing this. Just because a person has a crap load of cash should not give them any type of preferential access to game.

Wildlife is a public resource. Equal access on public land. Period !

pikergolf
02-03-2013, 11:42 AM
They do have a lottery for another tag just like this one. They also have a draw for the November hunt as well. WSF raises a lot of money for conservation by auctioning off these tags.

I wish people would stop complaining and crying about every god dam thing that happens with this sport. It's exausting listening to the naysayers all the time. Be happy we live in a country where hunts like this are possible.

I wish people would stop jumping down peoples throats every time they hear an opinion they don't like, that gets tiring.

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
:sad0147:Every tag should be equally available to everyone. Frankly I don't give a crap if you are tired of hearing this. Just because a person has a crap load of cash should not give them any type of preferential access to game.

Wildlife is a public resource. Equal access on public land. Period !

:sad0147:

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Exactly. The money raised at these auctions goes right back into conservation efforts. It is great for wildlife management.

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM

I think the record will stay in Albert longer than that. Alberta still has great trophy rams and they are in more places than Cadomin. If I ever had that tag in my pocket I'd spend the bulk of my time in the south.

Torkdiesel
02-03-2013, 11:57 AM
I wish people would stop jumping down peoples throats every time they hear an opinion they don't like, that gets tiring.

It's the same thing everyday on here or any other public forum. Poor me Poor me. I should be able to do it too, I should have the same chance as everybody else to do everything.

How about this, if you want to be able to go on a hunt like this go get a better job. Nothing is stopping you, but you !

Why not be happy for the guy that worked hard to buy a tag like that ? Why not say good for him, hopefully he gets a nice sheep.

Jelousy is a crippling disease to live with your whole life.

pikergolf
02-03-2013, 12:06 PM
It's the same thing everyday on here or any other public forum. Poor me Poor me. I should be able to do it too, I should have the same chance as everybody else to do everything.

How about this, if you want to be able to go on a hunt like this go get a better job. Nothing is stopping you, but you !

Why not be happy for the guy that worked hard to buy a tag like that ? Why not say good for him, hopefully he gets a nice sheep.

Huh...? What does any of that have to do with you jumping down someones throat cause you don't like what they say, which your little rant is a prime example of by the way.

Torkdiesel
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Huh...? What does any of that have to do with you jumping down someones throat cause you don't like what they say, which your little rant is a prime example of by the way.

Huh ??? I was explaining why I made my original comment. My statement was geared towards the constant b%&$@ing of the crybabies.

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Alright back on topic, sounds like some of the other bighorn tags brought in big money. New Mexico and Idaho (I think) brought in over $100 grand.

Torkdiesel
02-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Alright back on topic, sounds like some of the other bighorn tags brought in big money. New Mexico and Idaho (I think) brought in over $100 grand.

Sure did. The Idaho tag went for 150K and the New Mexico Desert tag went for 180K. Lots of money raised to keep sheep on the mountain.

Matt L.
02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Sure did. The Idaho tag went for 150K and the New Mexico Desert tag went for 180K. Lots of money raised to keep sheep on the mountain.

Which is a damn good thing.

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 12:39 PM

:sHa_shakeshout:

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Which is a damn good thing.

Sure is.

savagewsm
02-03-2013, 12:45 PM

It has nothing to do about jealousy. It has everything to do about how you view the resource. The fact that I will never have that kind of money in fact does not bother me one little bit. I've made my decisions in life and am quite happy with them.

Talking down to some person for having a different view point is a little childish. The point is how these highly prized tags get allocated. If raising money is the issue you could probably raise as much with a lottery as you could with an auction.

My view is that public game on public land should be equally accessible for all. If you think that having a lot of money entitles you to be able to pay hundreds of thousands and bypass every one then so be it.

Consider these questions for the sake of discussion.

1) Should the political elite have access to concealed carry permits and armed guards while the public in general does not ?

2) In our current health care system. ( flawed as it is ) Should money be able allow you bypass others ?

Simply put I do not agree with these auctions. Sheep hunting has never been in my plans nor will it ever be so I really have no vested interest in who gets the tag. Therefore if you do not like my view point then you have two options.

1) Try to talk down to me and be rude

or

2) Have a rational debate

Choice is yours.

Matt L.
02-03-2013, 12:51 PM
This money is needed and used for conservation, where do you propose that money come from if not from these auctions? Are you willing to tack an extra zero on the equal opportunity tag you purchase?

Icefisher2885
02-03-2013, 12:54 PM
The thing is that the general public does have access to these tags. There is a lottery draw for those who can't outright buy the permit. Its the best of both world's IMO, the end result being a ton of cash going into sheep conservation, and that benefits all of us, even those who only hunt the general zones.

Torkdiesel
02-03-2013, 01:01 PM
It has nothing to do about jealousy. It has everything to do about how you view the resource. The fact that I will never have that kind of money in fact does not bother me one little bit. I've made my decisions in life and am quite happy with them.

Talking down to some person for having a different view point is a little childish. The point is how these highly prized tags get allocated. If raising money is the issue you could probably raise as much with a lottery as you could with an auction.

My view is that public game on public land should be equally accessible for all. If you think that having a lot of money entitles you to be able to pay hundreds of thousands and bypass every one then so be it.

Consider these questions for the sake of discussion.

1) Should the political elite have access to concealed carry permits and armed guards while the public in general does not ?

2) In our current health care system. ( flawed as it is ) Should money be able allow you bypass others ?

Simply put I do not agree with these auctions. Sheep hunting has never been in my plans nor will it ever be so I really have no vested interest in who gets the tag. Therefore if you do not like my view point then you have two options.

1) Try to talk down to me and be rude

or

2) Have a rational debate

Choice is yours.

You've made your point loud and clear. You have no vested interest in who gets these tags. So please move on to another thread and complain about something else.

Thank you

savagewsm
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Your response does not surprise me. So sir I will wish you a good day.

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Life isn't fair. I can't pay what these guys paid for these tags but I will applaud them for their donation to wildlife conservation any day.

Matt L.
02-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Life isn't fair. I can't pay what these guys paid for these tags but I will applaud them for their donation to wildlife conservation any day.

Yep, that's the way I feel about it too.

sheep nut
02-03-2013, 01:50 PM
I watched 3 Montana rams over 200" get awards saturday morning. I'm not sure it will even take 3 years to break our record....... and those are our genetics!

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 01:59 PM
I watched 3 Montana rams over 200" get awards saturday morning. I'm not sure it will even take 3 years to break our record....... and those are our genetics!

The sheep in the breaks came from the Sun River heard in Idaho.

http://www.lewis-clark.org/content/content-article.asp?ArticleID=2899

Mutter87
02-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Seems fair to me. 1 tag here goes to Joe blow who paid $10 for the winning ticket and 1 tag goes to Joe blow who paid $180,000 for the tag.

The important thing to remember is this is not going into the pockets of a greedy farmer but into Wildlife conservation.

whitetail Junkie
02-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Seems fair to me. 1 tag here goes to Joe blow who paid $10 for the winning ticket and 1 tag goes to Joe blow who paid $180,000 for the tag.

The important thing to remember is this is not going into the pockets of a greedy farmer but into Wildlife conservation.

X2,and hopefully the "American Dream" stays out of Canada,and we dont ever have paid access for hunting in our province/country.

sheep nut
02-03-2013, 03:54 PM
The sheep in the breaks came from the Sun River heard in Idaho.

http://www.lewis-clark.org/content/content-article.asp?ArticleID=2899

Hmmmm.......that's interesting. I heard part of that herd was ours. That makes it even better sheep management because Idaho was never a big player in regards to big rams. Look what could happen to our sheep if they were managed better.

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Hmmmm.......that's interesting. I heard part of that herd was ours. That makes it even better sheep management because Idaho was never a big player in regards to big rams. Look what could happen to our sheep if they were managed better.

From what I've read and been told the fast growth and trophy quality found on the Missouri Breaks has a lot to do with habitat as well as genetics. Similar to what has happened in Cadomin. Good food throughout the year, even in the middle of winter promotes horn growth.

Bearen09
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
From what I've read and been told the fast growth and trophy quality found on the Missouri Breaks has a lot to do with habitat as well as genetics. Similar to what has happened in Cadomin. Good food throughout the year, even in the middle of winter promotes horn growth.

Yep, watch the next world record come from there...Fact:sHa_shakeshout:

Ryry4
02-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Yep, watch the next world record come from there...Fact:sHa_shakeshout:

Naw, they can't break the 204" mark. New world record will come from the mine or Yarrow. :)

In fact I bet the new record is locked in F&W warehouse. If they'd measure those sheep Alberta would own the top 10 in the book.

TIMWOLF
02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Naw, they can't break the 204" mark. New world record will come from the mine or Yarrow. :)

In fact I bet the new record is locked in F&W warehouse. If they'd measure those sheep Alberta would own the top 10 in the book.

I would second that

Bearen09
02-03-2013, 06:50 PM

You know it....
If they ever get any age on them then it would happed more then once...

CNR
02-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Why won't they enter those animals? Out of respect to the record holder? Since he has donated so much money to the Alberta fish & wildlife?

And if Montana does break the existing record. Will they pull those rams out of that shed then?

bdub
02-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Why won't they enter those animals? Out of respect to the record holder? Since he has donated so much money to the Alberta fish & wildlife?

And if Montana does break the existing record. Will they pull those rams out of that shed then?

Probably because they have better things to worry about than scoring and entering pickups. I don't know for sure but that would be my guess. Maybe if Montana beats us in the ram wars they will start feeding one steroids and oats on the mine and follow him around till he kicks the bucket. Or pull the big one out of the shed?

CNR
02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Probably because they have better things to worry about than scoring and entering pickups. I don't know for sure but that would be my guess. Maybe if Montana beats us in the ram wars they will start feeding one steroids and oats on the mine and follow him around till he kicks the bucket. Or pull the big one out of the shed?

LOL!!!!! Wow! Your answer makes about as much sense... as having record book rams locked in shed.....Thank you!

pottymouth
02-04-2013, 02:57 PM

Me thinks the record will be broken this year. You don't pay 480k just to shoot a big ram. Someone has a picture, and an outfitter has probably confirmed, that there is a ram out there that is right there. A lot of research is done , before you purchase a tag like that.

Ryry4
02-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Me thinks the record will be broken this year. You don't pay 480k just to shoot a big ram. Someone has a picture, and an outfitter has probably confirmed, that there is a ram out there that is right there. A lot of research is done , before you purchase a tag like that.

$300,000 didn't get it done last year. The record will stay in Alberta, where it belongs.

Torkdiesel
02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
$300,000 didn't get it done last year. The record will stay in Alberta, where it belongs.

I sure hope so :)

baptiste_moose
02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys. Tons of cool info on this thread. I def think he knows there's one out there! 500 000 is more then my house is worth. Quick question. Have some Alberta rams been relocated to Montana in the past?

Torkdiesel
02-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys. Tons of cool info on this thread. I def think he knows there's one out there! 500 000 is more then my house is worth. Quick question. Have some Alberta rams been relocated to Montana in the past?

Yep, that's where they get some of those good genetics :)

Rocky7
02-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Does anybody have evidence that the money raised by sale or raffle of these tags is actually spent on habitat improvement or predator control?

Just wondering......a lot of similar ideas end up in general revenue.

Remember the environmental surcharge on tires? Computer monitors? Where'd that go?:thinking-006:

bdub
02-04-2013, 07:10 PM
LOL!!!!! Wow! Your answer makes about as much sense... as having record book rams locked in shed.....Thank you!

I just find it amusing that people think that somewhere the Fur and Feathers have the world record bighorn stashed in some shed. Who knows, maybe they do.

walking buffalo
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Some more of the special permit sales:

Chihuahua DBHS - $50,000

Idaho BHS - $150,000

New Mexico DBHS - $180,000

British Columbia Mountain Sheep - $275,000

Sierra Del Carmin Coahuila DBHS - $77,500

Taos Pueblo RMBHS - $92,500

Utah Dirty Devil DBHS - $55,000

Alaska Chugach Dall Sheep - $185,000

Alberta RMBHS - $150,000

Baja California Sur DBHS - $47,500

Nevada DBHS - $87,500

Colorado RMBHS - $90,000

Arizona DBHS - $150,000

Oregon BHS - $135,000

Tiburon Island DBHS - $75,000

I guess I will leak this out now, arrangements are far enough along that it should all come together.

Come on down to the 2013 WSFAb Banquet and see a dozen of our Cadomin Rams that have never been away from the minesite before! :47b20s0:

Torkdiesel
02-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Some more of the special permit sales:

Chihuahua DBHS - $50,000

Idaho BHS - $150,000

British Columbia Mountain Sheep - $275,000

Sierra Del Carmin Coahuila DBHS - $77,500

Taos Pueblo RMBHS - $92,500

Utah Dirty Devil DBHS - $55,000

Alaska Chugach Dall Sheep - $185,000

Alberta RMBHS - $150,000

Baja California Sur DBHS - $47,500

Nevada DBHS - $87,500

Colorado RMBHS - $90,000

Arizona DBHS - $150,000

Oregon BHS - $135,000

Tiburon Island DBHS - $75,000

I guess I will leak this out now, arrangements are far enough along that it should all come together.

Come on down to the 2013 WSFAb Banquet and see a dozen of our Cadomin Rams that have never been away from the minesite before! :47b20s0:

When is it WB ?

Torkdiesel
02-04-2013, 08:48 PM
What's up for auction at the Banquet WB ?

walking buffalo
02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
When is it WB ?

March 23rd, in Red Deer.

http://www.wsfab.org/events.html

Tickets are almost sold out.

Torkdiesel
02-04-2013, 08:54 PM
March 23rd, in Red Deer.

http://www.wsfab.org/events.html

Tickets are almost sold out.

Is there an auction WB ?

walking buffalo
02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Is there an auction WB ?

Yes. Live and Silent. The Item list should be finalized any day now.