PDA

View Full Version : Waste of time as per usual

Lady White
02-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I know a bunch guys that went to Pigeon Lake today and as usual it was just a waste. The whole day they were their and only saw one whitefish nothing else. The lake is dead it is a sad situation. I remember going when I was young and catching huge perch off the dock. It's not just the winter kill and the netting either. Why do we keep introducing fish new fish in large numbers to a lake that don't need to be there? I don't get it. The walleye eat the whitefish and perch therefore less whitefish and perch. But thats ok cause we want to catch the biggest fish right cause that is what matters. Screw that I catch fish to help provide food for my family. That is really hard when the lake is killed off by giant fish that don't belong their. Oh I agree that it is lots of fun to fish but walleye destroy natural species in the lake. Stop doing it and if they are going to stock them, let us pull them out as soon as they get to be a certain size not draw no way is of my money to buy a tag for fishing that'll the the day. I purchase draw tags for large animals cause they feed my family more than one meal. Sustainable fishing in Alberta is a joke, might as well put walleye in every lake and then make every lake a trophy lake cause that is exactly what is happening to Pigeon. :angry3::sign0176:

tacklerunner
02-03-2013, 07:59 PM
I know a bunch guys that went to Pigeon Lake today and as usual it was just a waste. The whole day they were their and only saw one whitefish nothing else. The lake is dead it is a sad situation. I remember going when I was young and catching huge perch of the dock. It's not just the winter kill and the netting either. Why do we keep introducing fish that are not natural to a lake? I don't get it. The walleye eat the whitefish and perch therefore less walleye and perch. But thats ok cause we want to catch the biggest fish right cause that is what matters. Screw that I catch fish to help provide food for my family. Thats really hard when the lake is killed off be giant fish that don't belong their. Oh I agree that it is lots of fun to fish but walleye destroy natural species in the lake stop doing and if they are going to stock them pull them out as soon as they get to be a certain size not draw no way was of my money to buy a tag for fishing that'll the the day.

I don't get it either. :confused0024:

Lady White
02-03-2013, 08:06 PM
I made an edit now read it thanks for pointing it out. But I'm sure you were smart enough to figure out what I meant.:sign0161:

EZM
02-03-2013, 08:23 PM
This is a question - not an attack - I'm being serious here .....

If you are sustenance fisherman, have you ever though about the cost of your equipment, maintenance, tackle, gas etc.... compared to buying fish?

Seems silly to me to even consider you would be better off in the long run even if you filled your tags, caught your legal limit, etc... every single outing ......you would still be in the red.

It costs me $50 just to get out of the driveway ........... that will buy lots of fish sticks.

mmmmm............fish sticks.

cujo1969
02-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Its same with others lakes to like mcgregor the walleye eat everything.

tacklerunner
02-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I made an edit now read it thanks for pointing it out. But I'm sure you were smart enough to figure out what I meant.:sign0161:

I actually thought you were referencing Pike when you referred to the "giant fish" eating everything. Pike eat walleye. Catch a 100cm+ pike and there's some serious table fare if that's what you're after.

kevinhits
02-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't get it either. :confused0024:

Bahahahhahha.....:oregonian_winesmile

fish gunner
02-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Our hobby is called fishing , catching is a little tricker.
Yes some lakes need some balancing . Netting probably does not help.

Lady White
02-03-2013, 08:38 PM
OK OK I give you are right it is cheeper to get fish sticks but it costs me minimal to fish as the equipment is borrowed from my father. Gas well that can kill anyones wallet. I am a starving university student and it is the only form of entertainment that I can afford right so I catch fish and eat them and at the same time get hours of entertainment. Win Win but not so much now that I have to drive to Gull Lake or Sylvan because of the evil big fish eating everything in the lake that is 20 minutes away from my house. Stupid trophy fish wrecking things.

kevinhits
02-03-2013, 08:44 PM
I know a bunch guys that went to Pigeon Lake today and as usual it was just a waste. The whole day they were their and only saw one whitefish nothing else. The lake is dead it is a sad situation. I remember going when I was young and catching huge perch off the dock. It's not just the winter kill and the netting either. Why do we keep introducing fish new fish in large numbers to a lake that don't need to be there? I don't get it. The walleye eat the whitefish and perch therefore less whitefish and perch. But thats ok cause we want to catch the biggest fish right cause that is what matters. Screw that I catch fish to help provide food for my family. That is really hard when the lake is killed off by giant fish that don't belong their. Oh I agree that it is lots of fun to fish but walleye destroy natural species in the lake. Stop doing it and if they are going to stock them, let us pull them out as soon as they get to be a certain size not draw no way is of my money to buy a tag for fishing that'll the the day. I purchase draw tags for large animals cause they feed my family more than one meal. Sustainable fishing in Alberta is a joke, might as well put walleye in every lake and then make every lake a trophy lake cause that is exactly what is happening to Pigeon. :angry3::sign0176:

Yeeah....Things have changed over the years but theeee Fiiissshhhees are still there... Look back at older threads and there are whites and perch being caught in many lakes! I can catch any species, but it is where you choose to fish and look at your lures and such...Do some research and use the right lure and bait and you will have sucess....You cannot blame the fisheries here in Alberta....

rafhone
02-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Personaly, I think Lady White is making a great point here. Everyone hims and haws over eco balance and such, but the government decides its a great idea to introduce new sport speicies, and what do you do?

Don't rats also belong in a heathly ecosystem? Its all very hypocritical in my opinion and well apart from respecting nature.

Pincherguy
02-03-2013, 09:03 PM
OK OK I give you are right it is cheeper to get fish sticks but it costs me minimal to fish as the equipment is borrowed from my father. Gas well that can kill anyones wallet. I am a starving university student and it is the only form of entertainment that I can afford right so I catch fish and eat them and at the same time get hours of entertainment. Win Win but not so much now that I have to drive to Gull Lake or Sylvan because of the evil big fish eating everything in the lake that is 20 minutes away from my house. Stupid trophy fish wrecking things.

Screw that I catch fish to help provide food for my family.

You catch fish to help feed your family? Now you are a starving university student. What up with that?
PG

kevinhits
02-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Personaly, I think Lady White is making a great point here. Everyone hims and haws over eco balance and such, but the government decides its a great idea to introduce new sport speicies, and what do you do?

Don't rats also belong in a heathly ecosystem? Its all very hypocritical in my opinion and well apart from respecting nature.

Pray tell....What is the new " Sports Species" here?

Lady White
02-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Screw that I catch fish to help provide food for my family.

You catch fish to help feed your family? Now you are a starving university student. What up with that?
PG

Since when can you not have a family and be a starving university student? I'm 36 decided to go back to school at 34. Had to move back home with mom and dad. I help to provide food to my family: mom and dad and me by fishing. But I go to university full time so...... yes you can be a starving student and help provide food for your family. It's 2012 people go back to school at an older age all the time and trust me going to school at any age makes you a starving student and my family could have just been me and I would still be providing food for myself. Not that it's any of your business.

:mad0100:

Jamie Black R/T
02-03-2013, 09:16 PM

x2...walleye?

what a snap decision introducing walleye to a lake that never had walleye before!! :scared0018:

:sign0087:

338Bluff
02-03-2013, 09:17 PM

I think we are talking about the return of the virtually extirpated walleye to Pigeon Lake (sarcasm noted)

There seems to be some consensus that most of the locals/old-timers were fairly happy with the status quo (ie very good whitefish and fair perch fishery). A smaller, yet vocal minority may have successfully lobbied for the re-introduction and enhancement of walleye. Or so the story goes.

Lady White
02-03-2013, 09:19 PM

Thank you!

338Bluff
02-03-2013, 09:21 PM
x2...walleye?

what a snap decision introducing walleye to a lake that never had walleye before!! :scared0018:

:sign0087:

There always was a remnant population of walleye in there. We caught them from time to time in the early eighties....unless that was from an earlier stocking. Pretty sure I read something that there were walleye in that lake as far back as WWII???

338Bluff
02-03-2013, 09:23 PM
There always was a remnant population of walleye in there. We caught them from time to time in the early eighties....unless that was from an earlier stocking. Pretty sure I read something that there were walleye in that lake as far back as WWII???

Here it is....from the "Atlas"...

Fish

Pigeon Lake is managed for commercial, domestic and recreational fisheries. Species of fish in the lake include lake whitefish, white sucker, burbot, yellow perch, walleye, northern pike, spottail shiner, emerald shiner, trout-perch and Iowa darter (Alta. For. Ld. Wild. n.d.; Bidgood 1972). Walleye were present in commercial catches prior to 1963/64, but subsequently the population died out. They were stocked in 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983 and 1984 and a small population has become established once again (Alta. For. Ld. Wild. n.d.). Important spawning areas for lake whitefish are on boulder, rubble and sand substrate, particularly at the southeast end of the lake offshore from the Indian reserve (Bidgood 1972). Partial summerkills of yellow perch have been recorded, such as in May 1965. The cause of mortality was not determined, although both disease and temperature shock were suggested (Alta. For. Ld. Wild. n.d.).

Jamie Black R/T
02-03-2013, 09:28 PM

nope....never was a walleye in pigeon till the goverment funded bucket brigade showed up! :scared:

im being sarcastic....this isnt a "nice thread"....its sad

Fish a species to death and people complain....bring it back and manage it and people complain.

heres an idea....go find the whitefish! they are still out there! just because you cant locate or catch them the lake is dead?

LW, you been hanging out with safety D? :)

Lady White
02-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Small population really? How old is this information? They have continued to stock it time and time again. Here is a link to a story from Alberta Outdoorsmen talking about the Pigeon lake problem http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/archives/outdoor-pursuits-feb-06.html There are more predators than it can sustain. It is out of control even after they have introduced tagging of walleye. I still say a small group wanted it for a trophy lake and now thats's exactly what it is. And really paying for a fish tag give me a break rather spend my money on Timmy's the day that I have to buy fish tags is the day I stop fishing.

rafhone
02-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Here it is....from the "Atlas"...

Fish

Pigeon Lake is managed for commercial, domestic and recreational fisheries. Species of fish in the lake include lake whitefish, white sucker, burbot, yellow perch, walleye, northern pike, spottail shiner, emerald shiner, trout-perch and Iowa darter (Alta. For. Ld. Wild. n.d.; Bidgood 1972). Walleye were present in commercial catches prior to 1963/64, but subsequently the population died out. They were stocked in 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983 and 1984 and a small population has become established once again (Alta. For. Ld. Wild. n.d.). Important spawning areas for lake whitefish are on boulder, rubble and sand substrate, particularly at the southeast end of the lake offshore from the Indian reserve (Bidgood 1972). Partial summerkills of yellow perch have been recorded, such as in May 1965. The cause of mortality was not determined, although both disease and temperature shock were suggested (Alta. For. Ld. Wild. n.d.).

ahhh so they are native.

Pincherguy
02-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Since when can you not have a family and be a starving university student? I'm 36 decided to go back to school at 34. Had to move back home with mom and dad. I help to provide food to my family: mom and dad and me by fishing. But I go to university full time so...... yes you can be a starving student and help provide food for your family. It's 2012 people go back to school at an older age all the time and trust me going to school at any age makes you a starving student and my family could have just been me and I would still be providing food for myself. Not that it's any of your business.

:mad0100:

don't get your knickers in a knot,just askin'. Just sounded a little funny is all.
PG

ak-71
02-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Its same with others lakes to like mcgregor the walleye eat everything.

One thing I've learned about McGregor and whites there - is there is A LOT of food for them sometimes it is a problem. I could see singles all day they wouldn't give my lure a look just because it's one target out of a thousand for them, without the camera I wouldn't know they were there. There are times when they bite though( other than spawn).

rafhone
02-03-2013, 09:35 PM
let the record state, i still side with Lady White... just beacuse!
Let her have her White fish and eat it too!

338Bluff
02-03-2013, 09:37 PM
nope....never was a walleye in pigeon till the goverment funded bucket brigade showed up! :scared:

Fish a species to death and people complain....bring it back and manage it and people complain.

heres an idea....go find the whitefish! they are still out there! just because you cant locate or catch them the lake is dead?

I'm going to respectfully disagree on the point of walleye never being in Pigeon prior to the heavy stocking in the 90's. I remain upon the fence of whether or not these stocking efforts were the right thing to do. I will agree with you 100% that there is still a very good whitefish fishery there. The guys that did the test nets can attest to that. The fish are a long ways off shore. If folks want to sight fish they should go to Gull or Sylvan.

Lady White
02-03-2013, 09:39 PM

I am just saying the ecology of Pigeon lake has changed so drastically that it is sad. Whatever the reason. I blame the walleye, others blame the temperature, others blame the cabins. But you know what really what do I know I'm just someone that noticed a change in a lake that I worshiped since I was little, grew up spending summers there and ice fishing winters. No need for being rude about things. I try to find the fish and can't been all over the lake using the things at always worked but all of a sudden don't. So yes I think I will complain a bit thanks, and if that gets your panties in a knot oh well.

fish gunner
02-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Come on now people, the lady makes a strong point . Walleye are affecting many lakes with over population. On a positive note the fisheries people suggested perch are starting to return on pigeon. I understand what the lady is trying to suggest.

huntsfurfish
02-03-2013, 09:49 PM
sometimes fish dont bite

EZM
02-03-2013, 10:11 PM
let the record state, i still side with Lady White... just beacuse!
Let her have her White fish and eat it too!

Congratulations .......... I now have a headache.

:angry3:

Geezle
02-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Good thing the whites aren't gone from people filling their buckets to take home to feed their families, otherwise there would be even less of them!

And Pigeon is hardly a trophy fishery...

Good Monday morning everybody :)

Pincherguy
02-04-2013, 09:54 AM
^^^^^^^ Totaly agree

fergy
02-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I agree pigeon lake is hardly a trophy lake !

NEWB
02-04-2013, 03:30 PM

What are you studying in University? I would like to know as it may help lend credibility to your argument.

cube
02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I actually thought you were referencing Pike when you referred to the "giant fish" eating everything. Pike eat walleye. Catch a 100cm+ pike and there's some serious table fare if that's what you're after.

Wondering where you got that data. The only data I could find (in every single study) was that pike don't eat walleye past the fingerling stage. That is even in lakes with very high walleye populations. Hence, why walleye, if managed the way they are in this province, eat themselves out of house and home and appear to cause other species populations to collapse.

cube
02-04-2013, 03:38 PM

I agree with most of what you are saying and feel your frustration.

WayneChristie
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Wondering where you got that data. The only data I could find (in every single study) was that pike don't eat walleye past the fingerling stage. That is even in lakes with very high walleye populations. Hence, why walleye, if managed the way they are in this province, eat themselves out of house and home and appear to cause other species populations to collapse.

Seeing as twice Ive personally had a pike try and eat a walleye I was reeling in, the second eye was 3 pounds Id say thats proof enough for me

Lady White
02-04-2013, 04:56 PM
What are you studying in University? I would like to know as it may help lend credibility to your argument.

BA Major in Accounting going to be a Chartered Accountant. So no creditability
I was just stating how I feel thats all.

Lady White
02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Maybe I should have stated this is just how I feel things are and from the way that the fishing has changed in the lake.

cube
02-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Seeing as twice Ive personally had a pike try and eat a walleye I was reeling in, the second eye was 3 pounds Id say thats proof enough for me

Always appreciate your comments Wayne, I would have to say though that a fish on the line in a panicked state and unable to get away is not at all a normal situation. Again when looking at pike stomach content studies you DO NOT FIND walleye past the fingerling stage (even in lakes with high walleye populations).

fish gunner
02-04-2013, 05:35 PM

River pike luv 1lb eyes , a twenty plus probably eats 4lb 'ers like candy. Imo.

BeeGuy
02-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Always appreciate your comments Wayne, I would have to say though that a fish on the line in a panicked state and unable to get away is not at all a normal situation. Again when looking at pike stomach content studies you DO NOT FIND walleye past the fingerling stage (even in lakes with high walleye populations).

could you cite the studies

I'm sure a few of us would be interested in reading them.

hydrofish01
02-04-2013, 06:25 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:The Lady is absolutly right! U guys that like pigeon lake stay there, catch those trophy walleye and save the rest of the lakes! LMAO

fergy
02-04-2013, 06:40 PM

Why would pike not eat a walleye past the fingerling stage. I have seen massive pike with bite marks on them from other pike. Just wondering why if they will hunt down a 15 or 20 lbs pike, they wouldn't go after a walleye past the fingerling stage.

pickrel pat
02-04-2013, 06:44 PM

X2. I know predetors prefer fatty/oily fish such as whitefish, tullibee, and suckers, but would like to see the study saying it wont eat walleye. I think pike are too oppurtunistic to pass up anything.......

0liver
02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
A pike might attack a 3lb walleye just out of aggression, not to actually eat it. Same with 10lb pike having big teeth marks in them, its simply a fight between a larger fish and a smaller fish. I don't think they actually meant to eat it. Just kill it.

my 2 cents.
Oliver

seahawkfisher
02-04-2013, 07:22 PM
i have caught 2 fish at once at pigeon; a 50cm walleye with the hook in its mouth and a 109cm pike with the walleye in its mouth... awful big fingerling

pickrel pat
02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
A pike might attack a 3lb walleye just out of aggression, not to actually eat it. Same with 10lb pike having big teeth marks in them, its simply a fight between a larger fish and a smaller fish. I don't think they actually meant to eat it. Just kill it.

my 2 cents.
Oliver

Ive seen 5 lb pike with the tails of 3 lb pike sticking out of their mouths floating dead on the surface of the water. They are floating dead because they swallowed to big of a meal. Pike will eat what they can get in their mouth.... Be it fish, muskrat, ducklings, or a shiny beer can.

cube
02-04-2013, 08:04 PM

You mean like “Walleye, Stizostedion vitreum, and northern pike, Esox lucius, populations in three Alberta lakes” The Lakes in question were Ethel, Marie and Wolf Lakes in the Lakeland region. The Study was published in “Journal of Fish Biology vol 29 issue 1July 1986”

There are any more if you would like to look. I did this literature review about a year ago and found a number of others as well just can’t remember them all. The one thing they all had in common thought was that pike do not eat Walleye.

cube
02-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Why would pike not eat a walleye past the fingerling stage. I have seen massive pike with bite marks on them from other pike. Just wondering why if they will hunt down a 15 or 20 lbs pike, they wouldn't go after a walleye past the fingerling stage.

Pike do eat other pike just not walleye. The theory is that they do not eat p r i c k l y things past a certain size because of injury

cube
02-04-2013, 08:15 PM
i have caught 2 fish at once at pigeon; a 50cm walleye with the hook in its mouth and a 109cm pike with the walleye in its mouth... awful big fingerling

Again I would have to say though that a fish on a line in a panicked state and unable to get away is not at all a normal situation. This summer I caught a pike with a full sized adult grebe in it (or rather half in half out) once again not normal just a once off. I really don't think that pike have a large influence on the adult grebe population either.

tacklerunner
02-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Sorry I'm checking in late. I haven't done any interweb research on the subject nor have any data. Based on personal experience it's just a hunch.

fergy
02-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Pike do eat other pike just not walleye. The theory is that they do not eat p r i c k l y things past a certain size because of injury

So do pike only perch at the fingerling stage? As walleyes and perch have the same *****ly texture

fergy
02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Sorry same texture

cube
02-04-2013, 09:22 PM
So do pike only perch at the fingerling stage? As walleyes and perch have the same *****ly texture

Pike love perch. I did not find a study that separted ingested perch by size though so I could not say.

anthony5
02-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Cube, there is not one 20lb pike that is afraid of a 5lb walleye in any lake, food is food, and pike will take any great meal they can get their yap around, walleye ,pike, perch, whitefish whatever, when they are hungry all fish are fair game.

cube
02-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Another good one was (look at table 2)

"The feeding pattern and daily ration of a top carnivore, the northern pike (Esox lucius)"
James S. Diana
Canadian Journal of Zoology, 1979, 57(11): 2121-2127, 10.1139/z79-279

You can find it here http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/z79-279

cube
02-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Another one

Relationship of Condition of Walleye (Stizostedion vitreum) and Northern Pike (Esox lucius) to Water Clarity, with Special Reference to Dauphin Lake, Manitoba
J. F. Craig, J. A. Babaluk
Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 1989, 46(9): 1581-1586, 10.1139/f89-201

on line here

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/f89-201

Anyway I'm sure your getting the picture. I stopped at around 12 to 15 scientific papers all saying the same thing ie. pike do not eat walleye.

WayneChristie
02-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Again I would have to say though that a fish on a line in a panicked state and unable to get away is not at all a normal situation. This summer I caught a pike with a full sized adult grebe in it (or rather half in half out) once again not normal just a once off. I really don't think that pike have a large influence on the adult grebe population either.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF7396.jpg
apologies to the OP for the big time derailment, but at least its entertaining :bad_boys_20:
Book learnin and real life experience dont always go hand in hand

cube
02-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Cube, there is not one 20lb pike that is afraid of a 5lb walleye in any lake, food is food, and pike will take any great meal they can get their yap around, walleye ,pike, perch, whitefish whatever, when they are hungry all fish are fair game.

Did not say they were afraid of them just that they don't eat them.

As long as we are talking of personal experience: I have necropsied hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of large pike and have never found a single walleye in any of them.

If you can find me a peer reviewed scientific paper stating otherwise I certainly would love to have a look at it. Not saying they don't exist I just could not find one. Hence, by belief that pike do not eat walleye.

WayneChristie
02-04-2013, 10:01 PM
I think if you ask a few people who have kept large pike from PCR you would be surprised, not much else for them to eat in there but themselves and the zillion walleye.

huntsfurfish
02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Ok that study was on one lake. And on that lake Perch and spot tail shiners were the primary food sources. not unusual. I did not take the time to read it, my bad. But late seventies walleye may have already been on the decline. Also most predators will feed on what is most readily available(here perch + spot tail shiners). But on a lake where walleye are very plentiful walleye would make up some of the forage base. Pike are the top predator in these parts They will eat anything they can catch. A twenty pound pike is very capable of eating a 2 pound fingerling. A lake like PCR would likely show pike largely dependent on walleye at least the larger pike.

Also I didnt notice(take the time to check) what the sizes of the pike were in relation to their food in the study.

Gust
02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Did not say they were afraid of them just that they don't eat them.

As long as we are talking of personal experience: I have necropsied hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of large pike and have never found a single walleye in any of them.

If you can find me a peer reviewed scientific paper stating otherwise I certainly would love to have a look at it. Not saying they don't exist I just could not find one. Hence, by belief that pike do not eat walleye.

This helps my argument of pike starving in mcgregor -even though noting a 10" walleye found in the gut of a pike late november-.