PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunting -Failure

Bigmountainrider
02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I went out this weekend set up in the morning as usual, waited till legal light and them started calling. I usuall call in 1-2min sets then wait. With in the first 2 minutes of calling I see two Coyotes, one at 300yds and one at 500yds and they are both running away from me (Up wind of me) as fast as they can. I start calling again to see if I can slow them down and they only run faster. Do you think these could be call savvy dogs? Or do you think I did something wrong? I'm using a mouth call that I usually have success with. Thoughts?

Attilathecanuk
02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
they made you. either the calling or they saw you, thats the way it goes sometimes. good luck next time!

coyotekiller
02-04-2013, 05:30 PM
They could of called in by those sounds that you used by someone else and got shot at, and now they think danger when they hear those sounds

elkamaholic
02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
They were on there way to see me, I was calling two fields west of you!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

But seriously, sounds like they made you somehow, flash of a gun barrel, small movement, something...dem's the brakes

airbornedeerhunter
02-04-2013, 07:43 PM
They're smart, once they start getting shot at lots they are very hard to call in. Most of the time they will get downwind of you and sneak in to have a look and a sniff before showing themselves, if they make you, they're gone! We called all day Saturday in a good area, 6 different setups, had a pack respond and howl and yelp back in four of them but we never laid eyes on them. They either made us or are so cautious now from being shot at all winter they can't be coaxed out in the open even with the Foxpro Shockwave!

greylynx
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I smell romance in the air.

TFishin
02-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Yeah it pavlovs dogs at it's best. They are conditioned to associate those calls, maybe the specific one your using to danger so they peace out as soon as they catch wind of it. Maybe try using a different call something out of the ordinary to lure them in.

DVJ
02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
sorry i dont know how to start a new post so im tagging on to yours seeing as the topic is the same. i have recently started to hunt coyotes in the southern alberta are by medicine hat with zero luck at calling coyotes! We have tried a primos electronic call which we get some replys to but from a extremily long ways away and have also tried mouth calls no of which has ever brought a coyote into view. What are we doing wrong we wear full camo, keep the wind in our favour, use calls, tried "coyote bombs", early morning, dusk, mid afternoon, and many differnt areas around the medicine Hat area. so of the land we have been on is covered with tracks and they will howl back at you but from miles away! Besides wrapping ourselves in raw meat i dont know what else to do. Can anyone help?

Ranch11
02-18-2013, 11:10 AM
DVJ, personally I'd say your just in the wrong place. If you're getting answers from a ways away, just move closer or have a look at your terrain. It might be that you're just not in the right area. Everything else you're doing seems kosher. Or they've been called there before and are call shy. Try different calls. I've found a bird in distress works well, you can get grouse in distress off the foxpro website, and believe it or not but the Nutty nuthatch call works very well!

Good luck!