PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to learn the ways of a hunter?

RatFink
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Hey Guys,

Are there any resources out there that are best to get set up with for a new, inexperienced person who wants to learn to hunt?

Thanks!

Country_boy17
02-05-2013, 02:31 AM
Youtube ussually has some pretty handy tips for skinning, gutting, butchering ect ect. Talk to people, look around on here and see what ya come up with. Best of luck to ya!

Vingiu
02-05-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, friend. I didn't grow up a hunter or even a camper -- YouTube is now your best friend. Tutorials, guides and misc videos have become a great resource for me to learn all the "tricks of the trade". I didn't realize all those hours of video would be all that helpful, until I had to replicate them - they're well worth the time.
Not to mention a good number of excellent mentors on here - some of them are a bit crusty, I suppose. But there are an awful lot of guys here looking to help out the new guys such as us.

All the best,

Michael

winger7mm
02-05-2013, 10:54 AM
IMO the "best" way to learn, is get together with someone willing to teach. You tube is fine and dandy, but real world experience is a heck of alot better :)

Dave the Demon
02-05-2013, 11:46 AM
you really need to get out there and get it done.. watch the videos for an idea... get out there with someone who can show you... until youve done it a time or 2 you likely wont really understand what your doing... but after that itll stick and keep getting better every time

SportHuntingHelp
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Find a mentor with out a doubt your greatest resource.

dickinsonpw
02-05-2013, 06:38 PM
good thread

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=158013

HunterDave
02-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Find a mentor with out a doubt your greatest resource.

x2 Join the local F&W club and see if you can find someone that'll take you under their wing. That's what some fellas join them for so don't be shy.

TRAPPER92
02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Find the resources - magazines, youtube, forums (like this one) and then get out there and observe keeping in mind what you learned from the resources.
Put into practice what you have learned!

farmerpk
02-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Rat,

Where are you located? I am more than willing to introduce a new comer to the sport. I am a pro staff shooter for 2 different waterfowl companies, and have 2 cargo trailers full of gear, so that is definately my passion but I hunt just about everything you can think of except for sheep.
Get in touch and I'd be happy to help, although like I said, outside of birds I am just getting out and enjoying Alberta.
I hunt deer moose elk coyotes, bear, pheasants, waterfowl, gophers and clays to stay sharp in the off season.
I also hit the hard water as often as possible.

Chat soon.

TRAPPER92
02-05-2013, 09:18 PM
good thread

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=158013

x2, just read it!

Lr1000
02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Take a hunters Ed course. Not the online one but go in person. You might meet new ppl in the same boat and get a more hands on experience

RatFink
02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys! I just finished reading the AHEIA story, and will look into doing their course once I'm done classes in April. I believe they are located just south of Calgary so May should be a nice time to do it!

A mentored hunt sounds phenomenal. I have a couple friends who hunt, but I don't think they'd be the best ones to teach me. My only qualm with signing up for a mentored hunt through AHEIA is that when I start my full time job in September, I may be called in to work on weekends, so that could really mess things up.