PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Hunting

hunternewbie
02-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Planning to go for Rabbit hunting near Edmonton in mid Feb. I will appreciate if you may suggest nice place to hunt rabbit and few strategies.

Cheers

Dustin98
02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
When i go rabbit hunting i find some fresh tracks and then just start to follow them , I also carry a broken hockey stick to poke around in bushes to get the rabbit to run out.
Good luck!!:)

Speckle55
02-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Planning to go for Rabbit hunting near Edmonton in mid Feb. I will appreciate if you may suggest nice place to hunt rabbit and few strategies.

Cheers

if there are no tracks and droppings = no Wabbits .. you should see grazing on the shrubs etc small poplar they eat the bark .. it will be dense bush and in you need to push your way in trees to find them here , they need cover except at night you will see lots of tracks but no Wabbits find the dense bush .. bingo :sHa_shakeshout:

Go Slow bobbing head as in taking as many anlges of a look ahead as you can then move slowly and repeat.. :thinking-006:

some tips others will have more :reading:

pm me if you need more or just ask

David:)

philintheblank
02-05-2013, 10:30 PM
The crown land near redwater has lots,

hunternewbie
02-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Where to go? Near Edmonton....

philintheblank
02-07-2013, 08:32 AM
redwater isnt that far from the city, edmonton is surrounded by private land, you so wont find any places to hunt near by unless you knock on some doors. google some of the natural areas near the city, you might find something closer, but just make sure discharging firearms is ok, i think some natural areas have different rules depending on location.

i hunt a lot of different farms near edmonton and have seen 2 rabbits in the last 3 years, there isn't many around. the further you go the better, unless someone wants to give you their honey hole....

a little redneck
02-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Lots of rabbits in Calgary... lol

isaacoomber
02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Rabbit hunting can be as leisurely as a walk through the woods or field or as intense as thrashing some thick habitat trying to flush a rabbit. Both methods prove successful on any given day.

waterton national park Alberta (http://www.waterton.ca/)

kropsbone
02-16-2013, 02:44 PM
my crecent has a nice number, around 20, bring a stick and start swinging!lol! east of the city past the park there is a lot ,most farmers will let you if your going after rabbits and a 22

Gabriel S.
02-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Gabriel (friends call me Gabe), from Edmonton, 31 years old, new to hunting, not so new to fishing, looking for a experienced hunting partner/partners to show me the up's and down's, hunt some good old wabbits, scout for the upcoming season.
I have my own gear, what im missing ill but it, i dont have a truck though (will have one starting april), but i dont mind splitting the costs.
I have a 10/22 for rabbits if someone wants to go out ill be off Friday to Tuesday.
I also have a 300wsm for some big game ...

fortyseven
02-17-2013, 02:16 AM
big game ...

I hope you're not heading out to poach. Big game season is over.

Gabriel S.
02-17-2013, 02:27 AM

Ohhh now, not a poach, i have a great respect for nature. I was trying to say that i bought a 300 wsm for the next season ...

For now just rabbits ....

Hogie135
02-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Why so quick to mention poaching? That's a a very good way to welcome someone. He did said for the upcoming season.

Speckle55
02-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Gabriel (friends call me Gabe), from Edmonton, 31 years old, new to hunting, not so new to fishing, looking for a experienced hunting partner/partners to show me the up's and down's, hunt some good old wabbits, scout for the upcoming season.
I have my own gear, what im missing ill but it, i dont have a truck though (will have one starting april), but i dont mind splitting the costs.
I have a 10/22 for rabbits if someone wants to go out ill be off Friday to Tuesday.
I also have a 300wsm for some big game ...

Gabe if you want to do a 2 1/2 hr drive to Hinton i will give you a great afternoon hunting for Wabbits and teach u the basic technical info needed to hunt Snow Shoe Hares //i have truck.. Just do a search Wabbit hunting .. or Rabbit hunting and you will see some of my posts .. just pm me if you are in.. you would need to be here but 12 noon and would be done by 6 pm:character0110:

Be wvery wvery quite we are Wabbit hunting

catnthehat
02-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Gabe, it seems that Seckle55 has an overabundance of "runny babbits" in his area, and I'm sure you would enjoy a great time if you took him up, on his offer!!:)
Cat

Erik
02-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Gabe,

If you are interested in scouting some land by Redwater and north of Gibbons I would OK to have partner tag along. I generally run hounds, but since I've not seen the land up there I would like to put my boots on the ground first. Speckle will give you a good ol time out there catching Bugs, but I get the sense that you are keen to spot some land closer to the city for next deer season. Hitting up some of the crown land might suit your tastes and perhaps we can scare some rabbits up. Give me a shout if interested.

Speckle55
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Gabe,

If you are interested in scouting some land by Redwater and north of Gibbons I would OK to have partner tag along. I generally run hounds, but since I've not seen the land up there I would like to put my boots on the ground first. Speckle will give you a good ol time out there catching Bugs, but I get the sense that you are keen to spot some land closer to the city for next deer season. Hitting up some of the crown land might suit your tastes and perhaps we can scare some rabbits up. Give me a shout if interested.

Good for u Eric :sHa_shakeshout:

Thanks for sharing your Rabbit area ..Awesome .. may Good Karma be your reward!!!:character0175:

lead by example:character0110:... i was taught by Huntsmen in my area when i was a child:sign0085:

Gabriel S.
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot guys apparently i will have a busy weekend.
Cross your fingers i might get back with some wabbit pics ...

fzo
02-24-2013, 07:21 AM
even hear in the city, they get more and more

1000yards
02-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Thanks a lot guys apparently i will have a busy weekend.
Cross your fingers i might get back with some wabbit pics ...

Hope we get to hear how it worked out!

Speckle55
02-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Ahhh did Gabriel have fun fun fun or what he missed the first one but to be fair there was some branches and stuff in the way but after that he was hot hot hot .. 6 in a row .. nice head one shot one kill.. with his own gun we had sighted in at range here .. we had lunch ..he bought .. mmm good Smitty's.. we chatted .. then serious Wabbit hunting first time we saw some sign we stopped up a bit then went for awalk stalking them .. he took some pics of the tree bark they eat and some rabbit droppping on the forest floor.. then bingo i spotted one ..called Gabe and he got a shot off.. when we started driving again i spotted another sitting in the bushes along the road he got that one and the row started . lynx tracks so out of truck we go and pic of my hand and track . then he spotted a ruff grouse and took pic..next was on the way back on a short road after he had just taken a picture of a very nice size Wolf track .. Male Lobo.. .. bingo sitting in a protected area. . then he spotted one on his side .. from stallking to tracking to reading the sign he has a good start .. also he is a Big Big Man ... 6'4 220 .. not much fat .. lol .. ask him if he needed a hunting partner as i wouldn,t have to do much ;;;; jk

he end the day by watching me prepare one Wabbit to eat and he did the rest.. then its time to make the drive home .. he will post how it was for him but for me it was a blast/slice

here is his in a pic.. thanks Gabe for lunch and coming out... hope you enjoyed yourself and if you teach a man how to hunt Wabbits you feed him for life ..:thinking-006:

Your on your own:fighting0021: or pm me

1000yards
02-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Thats awesome to hear!
Glad that you both had a good day,
Good on you for taking him under your wing!
Fella's like yourself are a shining example of how this is a community!

Speckle55
02-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Thats awesome to hear!
Glad that you both had a good day,
Good on you for taking him under your wing!
Fella's like yourself are a shining example of how this is a community!

thanks man it was a great day for me too got to see it through his eyes and see the trill of the hunt on his face .. we did a little bragging to his wife .. but so he should ..he is a nice shooter

Gabriel S.
02-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi guys,

First let me say :sign0013: for posting so late ... Friday I was dead tired after the hunt ... i need to go out more, we didnt walk that much lol ... and saturday i had to pay for my hunting day ... cleaning, shopping .... shame on me but i dont wear the pants in my house :sign0161: Today I have a little bit of time off as im about to share the hunt with some friends that are coming over ...

Let me start my story with a little bit of background ... at the end of the last season i went out with a guy that i work for some moose ... the idea was to help around if he would have shoot something ... long story short, i came so unprepared, although i did some research and we shoot a tree and some beer cans :sHa_sarcasticlol: so very unlucky

Now as Dave said i zeroed my little Ruger at the local gun range (see pics below), which i must say i was totally blown away, very nice and with such a good taste their gun range is done.
As Dave mentioned, i missed the first wabbit ... i cant describe the tension and excitement ... here is was looking down the scope ... thousands of thoughts and little aiming knowledge that i have passed through my head in those few seconds ... Dave behind trying to educate me ... his voice sounded like he was miles away ... and pow ... shoot again, shoot again i could here Dave behind me ... i was frozen, seconds later i realized that i missed the little bugger. Man i was so disappointed in me ... i was thinking .. here we go again Gabe youre a jinx, better sell your guns and learn to cook and/or crochet ... went forward with the hunt, Dave as a dedicated mentor and hunter continued to man me up and teach me the hidden ninja art of hunting wabbits, me trying to learn as much as I can ....
Shortly after the sun started to shine for me too as i shoot my first bugs bunny .... couple of them follow after but i have to mention about a young one that we chase him for a bit .... bugger was keep running up and down crossing the road, but we got him ...

Finally let me say that i had a extraordinary day. Its a great feeling to share the oldest hobby all all times with a great man. Thank you Dave for the great day, you are a real hunter. I hope we can hunt again sometime.
My wife heard the story 20 times by now ...im 31 years old but i fell like a 5 years old that just got his first bike ...

Again, thank you Dave!

http://imageshack.us/g/22/img1271m.jpg/

1000yards
02-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Gabe,
Thanks for posting this,
And dont be to hard on yourself!
Looks like you quickly got the hang of it and did great!
Thanks for conducting yourself in a awesome manner,
People like you make is so the more knowledgeable folks around here still give us new ones the time of day.

bb356
02-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Cool ... GS .... Thank's for posting !!! :happy0034:

Icefisher2885
02-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Awesome story guys!

Gabriel S.
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
People like you make is so the more knowledgeable folks around here still give us new ones the time of day.

Thank you. You have to be there to realize how much of a difference makes 4 decades of hunting experience. Thank you for taking the time to teach us the newbies :bad_boys_20:

Speckle55
02-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Thank you. You have to be there to realize how much of a difference makes 4 decades of hunting experience. Thank you for taking the time to teach us the newbies :bad_boys_20:

np.. remember i was taught too .. by the Wabbit Ninja Elmer Fudd;;;

enjoy

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=elmer+fudd+hunting+season+video&docid=4789224443543659&mid=4D712FB0A3835FD1BFA54D712FB0A3835FD1BFA5&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1