PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal?

riverfisher
02-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Hey guys! Is it legal to use these species of suckers down here in southern alberta as bait(pic is at bottom). Ive been using the black and silver species for quite a while and had some decent pike hit them but i was curious if i cud use these as i seem to catch tons of them in the summer?

ak-71
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Since they are not listed as a game fish, then if there is no bait fish ban, and they are dead - they should be OK anywhere in Alberta

flyguyd
02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I want to target pike with you if thats the size of sucker your useing for bait:thinking-006:

Sundancefisher
02-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I want to target pike with you if thats the size of sucker your useing for bait:thinking-006:

LOL

We all would.

There are sucker species that make great sport like the Quillback, Silver Redhorse and Shorthead Redhorse. I would stick to using white suckers and longnose suckers.

waterninja
02-06-2013, 01:42 PM
i was told that strips of burbot belly make good pike bait. tried it in the summer with no luck, but then smelts weren't working either. one thing about burbot is that it stays on the hook! there skin is as tough as leather and it's hard to even get a hook through it.

thorne
02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
BLUE SCAD!!!! stuff is awsome!! oily, tough, and works like crazy!! Available at your local super store.....come on, google it....ya know you want to!!!

EZM
02-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Laugh all you want, admittedly, that sucker is a bit on the large size, but If a guy could get ahold of some 12"-14" suckers ............. now you are in business.

A couple 8/0 Circle hooks on a 80lb flouro leader and you are set.

Guitarplayingfish
02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
LOL

We all would.

There are sucker species that make great sport like the Quillback, Silver Redhorse and Shorthead Redhorse. I would stick to using white suckers and longnose suckers.

I agree with you... I don't mind catching redhorse's... A red tail once and a while is a nice change!

Wes_G
02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=EZM;1837931]Laugh all you want, admittedly, that sucker is a bit on the large size, but If a guy could get ahold of some 12"-14" suckers ............. now you are in business.

[QUOTE]

Currently in the freezer and just waiting for the right lake to be thrown in the water at.

WayneChristie
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
thats a silver redhorse, even though they are a beautiful gold colour. I have some good sized suckers in the freezer, had a big pike take a test bite on one but havent been spending much time chasing them lately. they are legal as stated if bait is allowed. I rarely catch one of those small enough to use for bait, get a lot of big ones and they are great fighters, would kick a trouts butt any day, the ones with the beautiful red fins are shorthead redhorse.

riverfisher
02-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Id be more than willing to go out with some guys fishing some big dead suckers at lake x this summer for monster pike, ill be using 2 pound suckers for bait with BIG trebles on quickstrike rigs, anybody interested shoot me a pm and we'll plan something!

Cheers,

WayneChristie
02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
have you tried the suckers for bait in the river? got my biggest pike so far last fall in the river downstream from you, 25 pounds, but on a little shiner not a big sucker