PDA

View Full Version : Perch in deep water

Billy2017
02-06-2013, 10:08 AM
I went fishing yesterday and was trying for whites in deep water (45') but ended up hooking up with some perch. I found thier air sack would be full which made it so they were unable to swim back down the hole. Are there any tips for bringing them up or how to let them recover. Thanks

huntsfurfish
02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Yup dont fish in deep water!

Try to limit your fishing to about 25'

If you fish in deep water you should keep whatever you catch. If not legal to than fish shallow water (less than 25' would be good).

Dacotensis
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Yep, it is probably best to keep what you are bringing up.
You could try bringing them up REAL slow, but it probably won't help. Their fate is sealed.
Move to shallower water and let the fish live.
I go to Slave with a friend and he likes to try 45' on occasion. I think it's pointless for obvious reasons. But each to their own. Right?

1Heavyhitr
02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Just bring them up slow and they will be fine

jrs
02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
They're often doomed that deep, even if you get them down the hole they will usually get stuck to the top of the ice and perish (can't swim down). If you visit the most popular southern perch lake after a busy week of fishing its not uncommon to see dozens of small dead perch stuck to the ice. Pike clean them up though so the cycle seems to continue. I still cringe when i see guys posting about catch and release on that lake on here, you may as well keep them... I recommend a big hook, then you catch perch big enough to eat.

Isopod
02-14-2013, 12:55 AM
Perch from 45' of water are good for party balloons, that's about it.

Dale S
02-14-2013, 05:59 AM
They're often doomed that deep, even if you get them down the hole they will usually get stuck to the top of the ice and perish (can't swim down). If you visit the most popular southern perch lake after a busy week of fishing its not uncommon to see dozens of small dead perch stuck to the ice. Pike clean them up though so the cycle seems to continue. I still cringe when i see guys posting about catch and release on that lake on here, you may as well keep them... I recommend a big hook, then you catch perch big enough to eat.

The fish we catch and release on that lake are caught in 18' to 20' of water. We've caught around 1000 perch this year, not 1 has popped it's belly out.There are half dozen AO members that can confirm that.

huntsfurfish
02-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Sad but true.

Raith
02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Look up "fizzing bass" I'm not sure if the fish actually survive but I did try it once when the same thing happened to me and after they were "fizzed" they seemed to swim off fine. Although after catching one I did attempt to keep them off my hook.

Hunter Trav
02-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Use a camera if you have to fish them deep, and play keep away with the small ones. That or bigger hooks, or just don't fish deep. Don't try "fizzing" fish if you've never done it before...

huntsfurfish
02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Fizzing is not as good as once thought. And should not be used as an excuse to allow one to fish in deep water! Alberta fishing guide recommends Do not fizz, it reduces survival If you dont fish deep it is also not neccessary. And dont do it even if you have "tried it before".

sco22
02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
This is an older research paper, but it will explain a bit more and give some useful information, such as critical depth, that is lost a bit here in the rhetoric surrounding this subject.

Bottom line is fish in shallower waters and don't fizz.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/228130.pdf.