PDA

View Full Version : Owl vs Cat trail cam pic

Scotty P.
02-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I have a feeling the fight was on just after this pic was taken. I wonder who won?

addictedfisherman
02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
If the cat could get claws through the Owls feathers I'd day it had a chance. If not old Sylvester is probably nothing more than a few pellets now.

kropsbone
02-06-2013, 11:21 AM
that is a crazy pic,thats awsome the owl is like oh sh**t,I agree the cat would prob get torn up or just wiggle loose,cool pic

cmcclung
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
WOW! That is the coolest picture I have ever seen. Was this on one your own cameras? or something online. To me it looks like the owl only has one talon on the cat so I suspect once the cat started freaking out he would have been dropped pretty quick. Still what an AWESOME picture!!!!

Scotty P.
02-06-2013, 11:25 AM
WOW! That is the coolest picture I have ever seen. Was this on one your own cameras? or something online. To me it looks like the owl only has one talon on the cat so I suspect once the cat started freaking out he would have been dropped pretty quick. Still what an AWESOME picture!!!!

Not one of my pics but I do have permission to post on here. Very neat to see! I get the feeling that Owl had a fight on his hands though, LOL.

Thinlizzy
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Very cool thanks for sharing.

Jason

baptiste_moose
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
That is crazy. Coolest picture I've ever seen come off a trail cam. Thanks for sharing

Ronji
02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
where did you take this photo?

mudbug
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
I think Kitty is last night dinner now.

ShawnM
02-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Who did you get permission from Scottie? The person that owned the trail cam?

bagwan
02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Quite fitting actually. Consider an owl as a cat with wings as they catch much the same prey. Sure would have liked to have seen the rest of the fight. Mother of all Battles. I wouldn't underestimate the cat unless the owl gained altitude.

BIG W
02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
That has got to be the coolest picture ever. Bet the cat gave a good fight, but I think the owl probably won.

I remember quite a few years ago, some where around Vancover, Many cats were disappearing , mean while some reserchers we watching an eagle nest in the area, after the chicks had hatched they decided to climb and check it out, only to find many many cat collars.

Mistery of the missing cats solved.

Pixel Shooter
02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
I could see a great horned owl making the attempt, infamous for small dogs/pets and will pick on things larger than them. Actually only predator that will eat skunks on a regular basis for that matter. My bosses daughter lives in Leduc and that small dog was mauled twice, major vet bills. dog will not go outside anymore lol.

Great greys as shown in this pic are known for rodents so this is quite the capture!! Im thinking cat got away, GG's dont have the same level of tenacity of other raptors to pull this off, 80% of their diet is rodents if not higher.

thanks for sharing, very cool.

waterninja
02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
what an amassing pic. what we are seeing is the cat getting suckerpunched but i would bet 10 to 1 that the owl bit off more than he could chew.

Stinky Coyote
02-06-2013, 06:15 PM
insane pic, we lost a tough, large male cat, that we thought was owl claws pierced lungs but he wasn't eaten, was found shortly after missing and high coyote area so all we could come up with was he got into it with an owl but did enough damage to the owl that it didn't return to claim its ultimate prize, very interesting to see, i bet majority of cats would lose the battle after seeing some of those eagle/wolf vids! those owls aren't hangin around town just for the hares ya know ;)

teledogs
02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Great picture!

Alberta Bigbore
02-06-2013, 08:35 PM
One of the best Trail cam pics I have ever seen.

BackPackHunter
02-06-2013, 08:54 PM
I bet seeing that pic on your cam made you smile :)

chain2
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
just did a search on the pic, Its been around a few forums . Couple claims the cat attacked the owl and had some support photos of other cats attackin eagles and owls. Says its a Barred owl which is smaller than a great grey. I tend to agree. Owls are light weight and kill / eat they're prey on the ground.
Here's my csi...flash game camera set out over bait [grain] rodents feed there owl pins a mouse down..cat rushes in leaps and abandons attack, click...:thinking-006: yeah something like that chain

Pixel Shooter
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM
interesting, but no way that is a barred owl in the pic shown by op IMO, definitely a GG

BeeGuy
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM
published by the huffingtonpost.uk last october

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/29/owl-catches-cat_n_2038526.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/29/owl-catches-cat_n_2038526.html)

still cool

outdoor cats get what they got commin

emoric
02-07-2013, 12:35 AM
published by the huffingtonpost.uk last october

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/29/owl-catches-cat_n_2038526.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/29/owl-catches-cat_n_2038526.html)

still cool

outdoor cats get what they got commin

SNAP nicely done.... i thought we were honest on this thread:scared0018:

sdkidaho
02-07-2013, 10:31 AM
That is a great picture. If you've read any of the articles recently on how devastating cats are to wildlife then it makes that picture all the sweeter.

bang_on_sk
02-07-2013, 11:19 AM
my parent's neighbour had a yorkie taken by a great horned in Ontario. Dog was on one of those retractable leashes. The owner and the owl had a good tug of war over the dog until the owl let go.

The dog survived too, the annoying little yappy monster

catnthehat
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
We had a great grey knock a raven down and kill it right i the middle of one of the busier intersections at Syncrude a few years back.:sign0161:
He didn't seem to have any problems with it at all.
That cat is hooked at the back, and I doubt if he could get twisted around to fight.
Hornhead and I witnessed a rooster attack a smaller hawk last year, danged bird jumped up the height of the fence post and counter attacked just as the hawk came off it to strike!!:thinking-006:
That was pretty cool......
Cat

Tom Pullings
02-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Cats are made mostly of muscle, teeth and claws. When they're scared they're almost impossible to control cause they have loose skin and they thrash like nobody's business. My guess is kitty got away just fine.

thumper
02-07-2013, 03:59 PM
My money's on the fur coat with razor blades!

calgarychef
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I'd bet it's photoshopped, it looks like a photo of a cat jumping off of something with the owl added after.

calgarychef
02-07-2013, 05:29 PM
I'd say a hundred dollar bill it's photoshopped. Wouldn't you suppose that the cats skin would be stretched just a LITTLE bit being picked up like that?

Ultimate Predator
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Cool pic im guessing kitty got loose im still scared up from rubbing the pets belly there serious when cornered

chain2
02-07-2013, 07:02 PM
interesting, but no way that is a barred owl in the pic shown by op IMO, definitely a GG

Just askin? What makes you so certain its a ggo? Its a crappy pic to id no doubt, The eyes have a purple glow, GGO's are primary day time hunters, tail bars, striped breast. I tend to believe a photoshop job may taken place here too. chain

Donny Bear
02-09-2013, 05:51 AM
After watching the videos with Eagles taking down wolves I have a whole new perspective on birds of prey I bet kitty used up all nine lives.

winmag
02-09-2013, 07:56 AM
cats are lethal if they had a spike on the end of there tail we all would be in trouble even a scruff grab he could get you , the owl i think bit off more then he could chew the tabby is torquing around to deliver hurt to the owl and the owl will drop him only because he grabbed the wrong end hopefully if its a children's pet there was no vitals damaged and life will continue for both animals owls are so cool

Pixel Shooter
02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
my take first would be relative size, barred is considerably smaller, secondly facial features, GG are the only one to have the b&w bowtie throat markings, white tuffs around eyes with dark outline.

Agree with you, I think it is a PS and didnt happen. Lastly with flash, even in lower day light will give you the appearance of darkness. Using rear synced flash would be advantageous option to have on a game cam :)

http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/image/108978725/large.jpg

barred
http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/image/76932545/medium.jpg

Just askin? What makes you so certain its a ggo? Its a crappy pic to id no doubt, The eyes have a purple glow, GGO's are primary day time hunters, tail bars, striped breast. I tend to believe a photoshop job may taken place here too. chain

Uplanderitis
02-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I hope the owl won.

http://outdoorcanada.ca/28162/news/articles/study-concludes-outdoor-cats-inflict-carnage-on-birds-and-small-mammals?utm_source=Outdoor+Canada+Newsletter&utm_campaign=c71aa47776-UA-971217-11&utm_medium=email

TFishin
02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
That is one of the coolest pics i've seen. Beauty to catch a still of that!!