PDA

View Full Version : Big bait

35 whelen
02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Anyone know where in edmonton area i can get some big cisco or tulibies for bait 1lb or bigger thanks.

thorne
02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Anyone know where in edmonton area i can get some big cisco or tulibies for bait 1lb or bigger thanks.

Visit super store or T&T. Wont find the mentioned species, but there are lots of simular species available. Also, i may be wrong here, but I am not sure is cisco or tulibies are legal for bait as they are listed as a game fish with a possession limit......again not sure, but wouldn't hurt to confirm....

thorne
02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

Found it.....

LCCFisherman
02-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Completely illegal. You wouldn't be trying this on Cold Lake would you Whelan?

35 whelen
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
ya just read the regs i was watching uncut angling and thought it would work there my bad :sign0161:,what kind of big baits are legel and i can buy,

EZM
02-06-2013, 04:49 PM
I like using Herring or Chub both come in various sizes from a few inches up to about a pound. I use the 9" to 12" size.

They work great with a big 8/0 circle hook in each end strung off some 80lb flouro leader material.

Superstore - a bag of 12" Chub - about 2kg has about 8-9 fish in it - so they are almost a pound each. $10 or so.

Solid gold .............. fish eat em' up ........

35 whelen
02-06-2013, 04:54 PM
THANKS ezm that and my new i fish pro they will stand no chance:)

EZM
02-06-2013, 05:28 PM
One more thing - If you do use the circle hooks - don't set the hook like using a treble or standard hook.

You need to let him chew, and turn the bait. Sometimes this is up to a minute. I usually set the drag to almost free spool then strip off 6 feet when he stops and tighten the drag up, thumb the reel and then hammer him.

Adjust drag during the fight.

WayneChristie
02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
One more thing - If you do use the circle hooks - don't set the hook like using a treble or standard hook.

You need to let him chew, and turn the bait. Sometimes this is up to a minute. I usually set the drag to almost free spool then strip off 6 feet when he stops and tighten the drag up, thumb the reel and then hammer him.

Adjust drag during the fight.

see you are already learning :sHa_sarcasticlol:

huntsfurfish
02-06-2013, 08:23 PM
lol

LCCFisherman
02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
THANKS ezm that and my new i fish pro they will stand no chance:)

Very cool idea.. also enjoy UA

rafhone
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
What would the people here recommend for large bait, circle hooks or trebles? I was trying circle hooks last time but was trying to set too soon I suppose (I was worried about hooking the throat). Still did well but missed some nice chunky Jack.

I'd like to use the hooks that will deliver the greatest frequency of lip/mouth sets so I can return the lunkers to the depths.

thanks in advance, I'm brand new to the whole BIG bait thing... and loving it.