PDA

View Full Version : Fishing kayaks

aulrich
02-06-2013, 12:55 PM
So one or 2 of these things are on the purchase radar, So in general the plan is to use them for tooling around at the cabin (Dory Lake so bigger water),and fishing when we don't want to launch the big boat.

But it is also in the plan to haul them back and mostly used them drifting the bow, but hitting local lakes would not be out of the question.

I am hoping 1000 per gets me into the ball park

thumper
02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Good choice for the use you describe.

Suggest you use the forums 'search engine' to check out 'KAYAK' and find earlier fishing kayak threads. If you any questions about Hobies, feel free to pm me, we have 4 different models of them.

addictedfisherman
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Look for a boat around the 13 foot mark. If you want to know about Ocean kayak Pm me. 1000 Dollars should get you into the game. With bigger water you will want a rudder. Dont forget to invest is a good set of paddles. There's alot of cool yaks out there. Its a matter of personal preference and how much money you want to spend.

Fil_Can_Yakker
02-06-2013, 04:16 PM
my fishing machine LOL

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb335/barry_magsino/OceanKayakTorque.jpg

Mutter87
02-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Google "Malibu Kayaks"

Mikezilk
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
You will not regret it. I have 3 kayaks at the moment and will add more to my fleet. I am on Wilderness Systems team and love the new Ride 135 Angler. If you are in Calgary area come by the sportsmen show on Sunday. I will be at Aquabatics booth with a demo Ride 135 rigged up for fishing. The kayaks will get you into spots you can't get into with other boats. There will be a ton of kayak manufacturers there and I will have some of Scotty Fishing Products new fishing accessories to show off as well.

aulrich
02-07-2013, 08:18 AM
I was thinking about hitting the show, so i'll probably see you.

Fil_Can_Yakker love those out riggers, Dorey can turn on a dime, but and that looks good for getting back without swimming.

I did enough canoe trip as a youth to know the value of a good paddle.

Mikezilk
02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
I was thinking about hitting the show, so i'll probably see you.

Fil_Can_Yakker love those out riggers, Dorey can turn on a dime, but and that looks good for getting back without swimming.

I did enough canoe trip as a youth to know the value of a good paddle.

Hope to see you there. I will be the guy in the Scotty shirt and hat talking about kayak fishing at Aquabatics booth. I am bringing some of Scotty's new toys and old favorites. I will bring my stabilizers, same as in picture, as well to show.

Hope to see you there.

MikeAndHike
02-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I hope no one minds if I jump into the thread. I am new to fishing and this looks great. I don't have a truck to pull a boat but I could throw a kayak on a roof rack and go. Is there any chance a guy could get a beginner setup to try out for the $300-$500 dollar range? This will only be my second year fishing so I am not looking to spend too much until I get into it more.

bigdaddy37
02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I've been looking into them as well. The Jackson Cusa and Cuda are high on my list. Also considering their Big Tuna.

Just have to convince dear wife...

fishing101
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
If you looking for a fishing kayak and going to keep it for awhile break down and get a hobie. The best fishing models are the pro angler 12. It has the best seat in the business. They are faster now, can stand up and fish, and if your trolling you can hold on to your rod. No, other kayak out there can do that. Also, don't have to drill holes in the boat. Comes pre-rigged with a lot of the most important things. Nice feature is you can also change out the mounting boards. Once again can't do this with any other kayak. I am sure they are going to be at the boat show check them out. If you have any questions let me know. I have fished out a number of their boats.

fishnhound
02-14-2013, 04:09 PM
When looking for a kayak I suggest you do a bit of research and if possible demo as many as you can( Paddlefest is good for that). With the growth of kayak fishing there are now tons of great fishing kayaks on the market and they all have different pro's and cons. I'm into Jackson's and have 3 (Cuda,Coosa and Big Tuna)of them they work great for what I use them for and the Coosa in particular excels in rivers which is where I spend most of my time. If I spent a lot more time on big water I may have found a yak with pedels more to my liking but for the money and the use I would have gotten it wouldn't have made sense for me. I would suggest you visit www.canadiankayakanglers.com and check the reviews also Yakangler.com is a great resource as well. Knowing your main uses for the yak will narrow it down.

By the way fishing 101 Native Watercraft also makes a pedal driven yak. The Mariner 12.5 Propel