PDA

View Full Version : Who is still waiting on spring bear rug ?

bdh
02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm wondering what most taxi turn around rates are on a spring bear rug I had mine in on may 9 th was told today 2 more months does this sound right to anyone else ?

Jameson340
02-06-2013, 08:34 PM
I took a spring bear rug into the taxi one time...... 2008......$450 deposit down, kept telling me couple more months, couple more months. Business went under and I am left floating down **** creek with out a paddle. :mad3:

bdh
02-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Starting to wonder about this one very hard to get a hold oh and never returns calls will see I guess

emoric
02-06-2013, 08:49 PM
ive always been told 1 year turn around seems normal

Rennich98
02-06-2013, 08:50 PM
G mine may7 still haven't gotten it back yet... They're either really bust or they're taking their time to get every detail

Hogie135
02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
I just got my plain ole tanned bear hide back. May 25 until January 5.

bdh
02-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Sounds like I'm jumping the gun then?

Backwoods Runner
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Most taxidermists send your hide to a large tannery to get tanned so they can then rug it. If you are lucky you will get the hides back anywhere between 6 to 12 months if you are lucky. Then it has to be rugged by your taxi. I've found up to 16 months is not unreasonable, but your taxi should inform you of this if they are respectable.

HuntingAlberta
02-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Brought in one last April and got it back in December.

Ronji
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Brought in one last April and got it back in December.
I have been quite fortunate. Got back 2 in different years within 6 months. Its kind of like that first in / first out thing.

thomsenj
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
mine went in sept 10th was told dec then january now he said march:thinking-006:

nube
02-07-2013, 03:46 PM
It never stops to amaze me how people think they should get their stuff back in a year. Come on guys! give the taxidermist a break. Anyone worth going to is going to have to wait at least a year. The top end guys most likely a year and a half to 2 years. Most guys ship their stuff to a tannery first and do it in bulk loads. That takes most of a year right there. You have to think a good taxidermist has 40+ deer heads and who knows how many bear rugs alone it takes a while just to get through those let alone all the full mounts and other critters that people bring in. If your complaining at 9 months for a trophy I don't think it is fair at all. I know it sucks but have some patience.

flyguyd
02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
It never stops to amaze me how people think they should get their stuff back in a year. Come on guys! give the taxidermist a break. Anyone worth going to is going to have to wait at least a year. The top end guys most likely a year and a half to 2 years. Most guys ship their stuff to a tannery first and do it in bulk loads. That takes most of a year right there. You have to think a good taxidermist has 40+ deer heads and who knows how many bear rugs alone it takes a while just to get through those let alone all the full mounts and other critters that people bring in. If your complaining at 9 months for a trophy I don't think it is fair at all. I know it sucks but have some patience.

Amen to that:)

Very few understand that concept:thinking-006:

mxz1997
02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Yep, most Taxidermist will wait until they have a decent amount of bear hides before shipping. Tanning can very easily take up to a year before he gets them back. Then he does the mount and the thing has to dry for a month. 18 months for a bear rug is very reasonable.

HuntingAlberta
02-07-2013, 04:05 PM
My feelings is if a Taxidermist takes more than 12 months for a deer than he is backlogging himself with the following seasons animals that will be coming in. If they are a decent taxidermist they should have a deer back before the following hunting season. My taxidermist has my deer done in 4-6 months and are the best I've ever seen.

Those are my thoughts anyways. Some taxidermists just take too much on and don't care about the quality. The only deer I had take 18 months was the biggest disgrace to taxidermy I have ever seen because the guy had to much on his plate and didnt have time to take care of the little things.

hal53
02-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Yup...warning flags wave for me if a taxi tells me he will have it back in 6-9 mos., I will wait 1 1/2 years for good work....

Ronji
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
My feelings is if a Taxidermist takes more than 12 months for a deer than he is backlogging himself with the following seasons animals that will be coming in. If they are a decent taxidermist they should have a deer back before the following hunting season. My taxidermist has my deer done in 4-6 months and are the best I've ever seen.

Those are my thoughts anyways. Some taxidermists just take too much on and don't care about the quality. The only deer I had take 18 months was the biggest disgrace to taxidermy I have ever seen because the guy had to much on his plate and didnt have time to take care of the little things.

I agree that a deer should not take to long. I am lucky, as I know a guy that works out of his house. He WILL have them back within 4 months.

bearbuster
02-07-2013, 07:56 PM
It will be 3years in may:argue2: was told .6-12 months call to check in every 6mo or so almost done each time:angry3:

bdh
02-07-2013, 08:05 PM
it will be 3years in may:argue2: Was told .6-12 months call to check in every 6mo or so almost done each time:angry3:

care to share the name of the guy ?

nube
02-07-2013, 08:48 PM
There are a lot of sub par or part time taxidermist out there. It seems a lot of guys like to pay very little and expect a lot.

HUNTING ALBERTA I am not sure why you can't understand the backlog thing? If a taxidermist is decent he will be taking in 30-40+ capes a season. During hunting season and a couple months after. He needs to skin, pare and salt the hides. Then he needs to label them and eventually get them shipped off or driven across country to a tannery. The whole salt and dry process might be over 2 months to get a batch ready. The tannery then takes 6-8 months to get them back. Then if a guy is real good and gets to mounting them he may get 4-6 done in a week if that is all he did. Year and a half is not unreasonable!

Double Shovel
02-07-2013, 09:53 PM
I agree that a deer should not take to long. I am lucky, as I know a guy that works out of his house. He WILL have them back within 4 months.

Western Fur Tannery 4-6 month wait
Edmonton Fur Tanners 6 month wait
Northgate Fur Tanners 3-5month wait
Glacier Fur Dressing 4-5 month wait
If your getting your deer back in 4 months,your taxidermist must not be sending them out to the tannery. They either tan it themselves which is no big deal but if they are using the"soak method" which is taught by the school in Calgary,then it is not a true tan and will develop issues down the road. Some posters are right,we will wait til there is a load big enough to ship so yes hides can be in waiting to go to the tannery. I took a load on Jan 14,month and a half after season but the thing is, I skinned right up until then and still have more coming in. I am not taking on too much work,I am just trying to feed my family. The thing is,for a taxidermist to support his business through out the year,they usually have to skin the animals in a two to three month period so not much mounting gets done. Now a show up at the tannery with "your" load of hides and put them beside every other taxidermists load. If you have ever been in a tannery in December/January,it looks like organized confusion.
Whether a taxidermist takes 4 months or12 months to do your animal,it doesnt reflect the quality of work,there is more behind the scenes that most people dont understand. Yes good taxidermist take on a good load of projects. But if your feeding a family,your making sure that is taken care of. Bad Winters can happen like two years ago then what? It happens. Or if F&W culls right in your back yard,then what? Both happened to me.
Your taxidermist should communicate with you but doesnt need to answer your call every three Weeks. I have had one guy call three times since the end of this season to check on his deer,so when I am arms deep in an animal and see his number come up on the phone ,do you think I am racing to answer it,I gave him the same answer the previous three calls. Being in the business I have learned that lots of people do not do their homework when it comes time to choosing a taxidermist and sometimes find themselves in the middle of a horror story. You need to really do your homework and most taxidermists I know are pretty good about return times. We are now just working on the last of the spring rugs
and have a few other bears to work on before the season starts here in a couple months.
If you can ,be patient with your taxidermist and if you have done your homework and chose a reputable guy,your mount will come.

buck-8835
02-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I took a spring bear rug into the taxi one time...... 2008......$450 deposit down, kept telling me couple more months, couple more months. Business went under and I am left floating down **** creek with out a paddle. :mad3:

What was name of the guy? I think we may have used the same taxidermist here...

dshaw
02-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Western Fur Tannery 4-6 month wait
Edmonton Fur Tanners 6 month wait
Northgate Fur Tanners 3-5month wait
Glacier Fur Dressing 4-5 month wait
If your getting your deer back in 4 months,your taxidermist must not be sending them out to the tannery. They either tan it themselves which is no big deal but if they are using the"soak method" which is taught by the school in Calgary,then it is not a true tan and will develop issues down the road. Some posters are right,we will wait til there is a load big enough to ship so yes hides can be in waiting to go to the tannery. I took a load on Jan 14,month and a half after season but the thing is, I skinned right up until then and still have more coming in. I am not taking on too much work,I am just trying to feed my family. The thing is,for a taxidermist to support his business through out the year,they usually have to skin the animals in a two to three month period so not much mounting gets done. Now a show up at the tannery with "your" load of hides and put them beside every other taxidermists load. If you have ever been in a tannery in December/January,it looks like organized confusion.
Whether a taxidermist takes 4 months or12 months to do your animal,it doesnt reflect the quality of work,there is more behind the scenes that most people dont understand. Yes good taxidermist take on a good load of projects. But if your feeding a family,your making sure that is taken care of. Bad Winters can happen like two years ago then what? It happens. Or if F&W culls right in your back yard,then what? Both happened to me.
Your taxidermist should communicate with you but doesnt need to answer your call every three Weeks. I have had one guy call three times since the end of this season to check on his deer,so when I am arms deep in an animal and see his number come up on the phone ,do you think I am racing to answer it,I gave him the same answer the previous three calls. Being in the business I have learned that lots of people do not do their homework when it comes time to choosing a taxidermist and sometimes find themselves in the middle of a horror story. You need to really do your homework and most taxidermists I know are pretty good about return times. We are now just working on the last of the spring rugs
and have a few other bears to work on before the season starts here in a couple months.
If you can ,be patient with your taxidermist and if you have done your homework and chose a reputable guy,your mount will come.

x@!!!!!!!! well said!

Jameson340
02-07-2013, 11:47 PM
What was name of the guy? I think we may have used the same taxidermist here...

Wildlife originals, apparently he went under and closed his doors. Haven't been able to get ahold of him for 10 months now. Police told me to get a lawyer they can't do anything about it, same with the f&w.

Simms
02-24-2013, 12:03 AM
I just picked up my bison head from him on feb 20-2013 so he is still open.

Straightgun
02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Took a fall bear couple years ago and it took just a little over a year to get back from taxi.

waterhaulerhunter
02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
I took my spring bear in just after may long. Got the bleached skull back within 3 weeks and got the rug back just before christmas. I was told 6 months when i dropped it off and he delivered. He also did an awesome job! Very happy, it was my first bear and im very happy i did the rug.

Jameson340
02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Looks like I should be getting mine back soon.......5 year wait

buck-8835
02-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Wildlife originals, apparently he went under and closed his doors. Haven't been able to get ahold of him for 10 months now. Police told me to get a lawyer they can't do anything about it, same with the f&w.

I think weve had this conversation before while at my place of work in spruce grove. I took a brown to him as well. I was fortunate enough to get it back the sad part however is that some of the hair is slipping. On the one ear the pin used to hold it up is also starting to show through. ****es me right off. It was my first bear and it was also a gorgeous brown with a thick fall coat.

bearbuster
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
care to share the name of the guy ?

I won't mention the name. I have a mulie in there as well as the rug. He has done other work for me in the past and the time frame is all over. I'm ok with the wait, just wish they would be up front. Nothing ****es me off more than some guy promising fast turnover to secure work then get to busy. I know this particular guy has regulars which I'm sure take presedent over walk ins, but this will be the second deer, second rug, and have had 2 wolves done. Each mount gets progressively longer. Even over heard a conversation at a show not that long ago where I overheard him promise a bear outfitter 6-12 month returns if he secured his clients business:argue2: oh well

Speckle55
02-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Rick Stelter Edson .. took in Spring bear in May and got back in Dec ready for the Christmas tree morning my 3 son's loved it.. years ago thanks Rick

Good luck guys on getting yours

David:)