PDA

View Full Version : What's it going to take for some of these outfitters to get nailed to the cross?

AB Starling
02-06-2013, 11:06 PM
This is becoming BS! APOS won't do anything. So many of these bad outfitters are getting away with murder and it just gets swept under the carpet.
We all have proof of some of these guys and they never get anything out of it.
Some of these guys have been charged and APOS just turns a blind eye to it.
We know of outfitters who have been charged with trespassing. We all know of two outfitters in East Central Alberta who are using planes.
What's it going to take for these guys to get nailed?

Dacotensis
02-06-2013, 11:16 PM
It will take ppl to stop 8itching on a forum and start writing letters.
Get back to us and tell us how many you wrote, who you mailed them out to and any other details that can be picked.

AB Starling
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM
It will take ppl to stop 8itching on a forum and start writing letters.
Get back to us and tell us how many you wrote, who you mailed them out to and any other details that can be picked.

Numerous letters. Over a dozen calls to Report A Poacher. Several meetings to F&W.
Another honest question. What’s it going to take?
Dacotenis what have you actually done to rid Alberta of bad outfitters?

Torkdiesel
02-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Numerous letters. Over a dozen calls to Report A Poacher. Several meetings to F&W.
Another honest question. What’s it going to take?
Dacotenis what have you actually done to rid Alberta of bad outfitters?

It's going to take you becoming a member of APOS, working your way up to the position of President and personally weeding out the bad apples. Problem solved

Dacotensis
02-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Personally I don't know any. The land I hunt-farmers hate outfitters and like good old Alberta boys like me.They know I'm 4th gen Albertan, they know why I hunt.

I have never witnessed an illegal act from an outfitter or guide, but have read about them.
They can stay out of my hair and me out of theirs.
Should the day arrive that I get screwed over on a hunt, I'll let you know then.
So, you have personally had a bad experience? Tell us about it.
All the details, name names. Who did you contact? Who wrote you back?
Let's see it!
You said you've done it? Show it!

Dacotensis
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
It's going to take you becoming a member of APOS, working your way up to the position of President and personally weeding out the bad apples. Problem solved

Sure, this is actually a good plan.
Change from within.
Hey a Liberal got herself elected premier of our province under the guise of being a conservative:)

Big Daddy Badger
02-06-2013, 11:49 PM
This is becoming BS! APOS won't do anything. So many of these bad outfitters are getting away with murder and it just gets swept under the carpet.
We know of outfitters who have been charged with trespassing. We all know of two outfitters in East Central Alberta who are using planes.

A cross, a hammer, some nails and a provincial government that isn't being lobbied and glad handed by what has become a political juggernaut compared to us as individuals.

All the PC's understand are dollars and as long as those guys are organised and tipping with silver... we're at a disadvantage.
Funny... usually the PC's are quick to hammer unions.

I suppose some sort of public spectacle next time one of these guys comes up on charges and a seed in the medias ear might help....
Letters don't seem to work.
I think they all go in the trash.

The only thing politicians care about is votes, reputation and publicity.

Write a letter and a couple peole know and only one cares.
Get out on the street so everyone knows and suddenly... they care.

Thats how democracy works...by active participation the foundation of which is public protest.

Ultimate Predator
02-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Apos disiplin commity is a joke has convicted fellons on garbage

RatFink
02-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Really dumb question: What is outfitting and how is it done to break the law?
(I'm sorry, I really am very green to all this.)

Rhino81
02-07-2013, 12:19 AM
An outfitter is a person or company which can buy and sell allocations (tags) to non residents. Members of apos.

Big Daddy Badger
02-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Really dumb question: What is outfitting and how is it done to break the law?
(I'm sorry, I really am very green to all this.)

Paid professional hunting/fishing guides... or at least some of them are.
Others are just paid guides.

The problem is they have an association that is self regulated.
That association seems unable or unwilling to oust members who have been convicted of poaching.
Yet... they still command considerable political clout and credability with the provincial governement.

colin455
02-07-2013, 07:44 AM
Sure, this is actually a good plan.
Change from within.
Hey a Liberal got herself elected premier of our province under the guise of being a conservative:)

OH MY GOD! Finally, someone else see's it too. I was starting to think I was the only one!

And not to derail the post -
If you see an outfitter doing flyby's try to get the plane's ID numbers and report it. F&W can confirm with flight plan filed and hunting area being used. I think.
Better than nothing. Bad people win when good people stop fighting.

Katman
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
problem stems from outfitters making money from natural resources. They will do what they need to do to secure their livelihood. Throw in the Ego factor of proving to fellow outfitters and clients that you're the biggest and the best, and you will have trouble. They we will continue to "bend rules". Any outfitters that rock the boat from within will not get the blessing from APOS top brass, meaning overlooked for tag allocations, et, et. So nothing will change. What ****es me off is outfitters, or those that support them, think the rest of the hunting community is so daft that they do not see what is happening, and if they deny it enough it means it doesn't happens. The majority of hunters understand completely what is going on, so deny as much as you want.

nube
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM

This is becoming BS! Fish cops won't do anything. Reisident hunters are poaching all over the province and getting away with Murder and it gets swept under the carpet.
We all have proof of some of these guys and they never get anything out of it............... BlahBlahBlah:) How did I do? :scared0018:

There are problems on both sides of the fence everywhere AB Staling!!! All you can do it turn them in when you catch them and ask for stiffer penalties from the ones that can make the changes.

AB Starling
02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
This is becoming BS! Fish cops won't do anything. Reisident hunters are poaching all over the province and getting away with Murder and it gets swept under the carpet.
We all have proof of some of these guys and they never get anything out of it............... BlahBlahBlah:) How did I do? :scared0018:

There are problems on both sides of the fence everywhere AB Staling!!! All you can do it turn them in when you catch them and ask for stiffer penalties from the ones that can make the changes.

Since you are a member of APOS can you tell us why they don't punish their convicted members? They sure won't tell the general public.

I don't disagree that there isn't a problem on both sides of the fence. But I have yet to see many outfitters get nailed.

How many times have it been discussed on here about the outfitter using the plane. He has been reported how many times and never been charged. How about outfitters who have been reported for paid access and not been charged. Or how about bird outfitters who do not tell land owners that they are guiding on it.

catnthehat
02-07-2013, 06:13 PM
It's one thing to report, quite another to prove.
As far as bird outfitters go no telling land owners they are guiding, I'm not even sure if they have to tell them.
Maybe Nube can elaborate on that.
cat

BackPackHunter
02-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Please tell us who you are AB
i dont buy that your new here! i call BS!
did you switch from telus to shaw to get a new ip address?

ill be surprised if you last the month

KegRiver
02-07-2013, 06:23 PM
How many times have it been discussed on here about the outfitter using the plane. He has been reported how many times and never been charged. How about outfitters who have been reported for paid access and not been charged. Or how about bird outfitters who do not tell land owners that they are guiding on it.

Law enforcement is not the responsibility of APOS.

If they were reported but not charged, what should APOS do, give someone the boot because of unsubstantiated rumours?

The magazines I read report one or two outfitters being charged almost every year. One of those outfitters, I know personally. That outfitter and others I've read about, are no longer members of APOS.

It may be that there are some members of APOS who shouldn't be members but I wonder just how much authority APOS really has.

Do they have the resources and/or the authority to investigate complaints, or must they wait for the courts to rule?

Do they have the personal with the appropriate training to properly investigate anything? I doubt it.

Are they perfect. Not likely. No other group in this society is perfect, least of all, regular hunters.

Is there reason for concern. Maybe, or maybe it's more of what we see here every day. Some hunters doing their best to eliminate any competition.

Remember folks, outfitters are hunters as well. Most of them are great guys and gals. A few bad apples need not spoil the whole basket, if we don't paint everyone with the same brush.

BackPackHunter
02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Why cant i view AB PUBLIC profile?

AB Starling
02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Please tell us who you are AB
i dont buy that your new here! i call BS!
did you switch from telus to shaw to get a new ip address?

ill be surprised if you last the month

Nobody said I was new. Maybe new user long time lurker.
Now can you please quit derailing my threads and stay on topic.

hal53
02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Nobody said I was new. Maybe new user long time lurker.
Now can you please quit derailing my threads and stay on topic.
uhhh...maybe cause you joined in Feb. 13?...and you have 9 posts???...and you would be better off writing your MLA than wasting your time and ours here...

AB Starling
02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Law enforcement is not the responsibility of APOS.

If they were reported but not charged, what should APOS do, give someone the boot because of unsubstantiated rumours?

The magazines I read report one or two outfitters being charged almost every year. One of those outfitters, I know personally. That outfitter and others I've read about, are no longer members of APOS.

It may be that there are some members of APOS who shouldn't be members but I wonder just how much authority APOS really has.

Do they have the resources and/or the authority to investigate complaints, or must they wait for the courts to rule?

Do they have the personal with the appropriate training to properly investigate anything? I doubt it.

Are they perfect. Not likely. No other group in this society is perfect, least of all, regular hunters.

Is there reason for concern. Maybe, or maybe it's more of what we see here every day. Some hunters doing their best to eliminate any competition.

Remember folks, outfitters are hunters as well. Most of them are great guys and gals. A few bad apples need not spoil the whole basket, if we don't paint everyone with the same brush.

That's good to hear that someone actually was convicted. Are these guys still outfitting?

KegRiver
02-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Okay guys, if you want to argue, take it to PMs

Thread closed.