PDA

View Full Version : Auger Question

martind25
02-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Can an Auger drill section, be changed from an 8 inch, to a 10 inch? Will this damage any of the gearing in the motor section?

g1987man
02-07-2013, 06:38 AM
don't see how it would. look at it as using a larger bit in a drill... higher load on motor that's it... as long as you let the blades cut and don't press too hard on the auger you will be fine
also it will take a lot longer to cut with 10''

Good luck
G

FishingFrenzy
02-07-2013, 08:29 AM
What augur do you have?

Buck Rogers
02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Can an Auger drill section, be changed from an 8 inch, to a 10 inch? Will this damage any of the gearing in the motor section?

The husky is geared to run both 8" & 10" flights, a bit more money but smooth and steady and as an added bonus one of the lightest gas powered augers you will ever have the pleasure of transporting with one hand.

FishHunterPro
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
don't see how it would. look at it as using a larger bit in a drill... higher load on motor that's it... as long as you let the blades cut and don't press too hard on the auger you will be fine
also it will take a lot longer to cut with 10''

Good luck
G

Ya I agree you can cut a 8" hole with a hand auger and sharp blades and elbow grease I couldn't see an issue if the bit fits properly on the powerhead.

martind25
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
The Auger is an Eskimo "shark". Eskimo does sell a 10 inch drill section, but i don't want to wreck and gearing, by placing a larger drill section on the auger.

BIG W
02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
U should be Ok as long as U don't push it, Most of the new augers have a heavier gear system in them now, I am a small enging mec, and I have rebuilt some of the older modles because they went to the 10 inch, but most of it was operator error and trying to out do their buddies machine.

Like someone said, let the knives do the cutting and keep them sharp.

208prov
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I run a 12'' on my Kluge, And also run from a 8-10-12 for Eskimo Z71 also.

Red Neck
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
We Purchased an Eskimo10 inch auger last winter after 20 years of our old 50cc 8inch magnam(still works great!) At Cabels we were told the only real diffrance was the size of the auger bit? You should have no problems just keep the blade sharp. There is a notaceable diffrance in resistance when drilling a 10 incher vres 8inch and dispite the now heaver auger we still love fishing the big holes. Go for it you wount be sorry:sHa_shakeshout:

Red Neck Out:scared0018:

SNAGGLEPUSS
02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
A drill is made to use an assortment of bit sizes whereas the auger was built for one size only. If you go to the 10" auger size, the motor will be overloaded which would probably shorten its life.

Kim473
02-08-2013, 04:14 AM
A drill is made to use an assortment of bit sizes whereas the auger was built for one size only. If you go to the 10" auger size, the motor will be overloaded which would probably shorten its life.

If you look at Eskimo for instance. The Mako can be bought with a 8" or 10" so, if your upgrading the 8" in the Mako model to the 10" there should be no problem. Same motor and gearing, just the auger dia. I have thought about doing this with mine but the price just seems a little too high for the upgrade. If you can get a good deal on the auger then, go for it. Let me know how much you payed for the auger as would like to upgrade mine but the price???

Willowtrail
02-08-2013, 07:43 AM
The Auger is an Eskimo "shark". Eskimo does sell a 10 inch drill section, but i don't want to wreck and gearing, by placing a larger drill section on the auger.

You are going to go.
I did mine lastnyear. Works great

winmag
02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
got a ten inch Eskimo auger for my little 33 cc shark works perfect my boy got it from Cabelas for his jiffy wrong rotation so he gave it to me love the bigger hole should have had it thirty years ago