PDA

View Full Version : Flyfishing for Pike

Pheasantnut
05-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Hey boys, got a new 8 weight fly rod and figured I'd give Pike a try......picked up some leaders (Rio toothy critters) now my question is the leader has a wire shocket tippet on the end....do I attach the leader directly to the fly or do i put a snap swivel on the end of the leader and then hook on the fly ....or I saw some wire leader material (is this stuff the pike version of tippet?) and do I hook it up like I'm trout fishing where I put sometippet on the end of my leader and then attach the fly. Thanks for all your help guys...cheers Pheasantnut

bigbore
05-12-2007, 03:49 PM
you know whats fairly cheap and easy? I use about a 7 foot piece of 20-25 pound test line as a leader, then splice on about a 3 foot section of 15 pound test , and attach a 9 inch Titanium leader used in regular fishing, they are super thin compared to steel leaders, and bounce back from bending and twisting. 9 out of 10 times pike are not overly picky, and the stretch in the heavy Mono line gives your gear a bit of relief from abuse it may recieve.

just what i do, others do different.

drteith
05-12-2007, 10:40 PM
You need very little leader to fly fish for Pike (maybe six feet). I tie all my flies directly on to the wire leader using a figure eight knot. The knot is simple and it holds. Here is a link to Clive's site featuring an amazing amount of info about Pike on the fly...

Pike Gone Wild (http://members.shaw.ca/clives/pikeflyfish.html)

Cheers,
Doc

Rob Miskosky
05-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Fly-fishing for pike doesn't require finesse. Hook a hunk of chain on the end and you'd be fine. Swivels and the like, doesn't matter. You're not targeting fly-sippin' trout where stealth is important. Making a big splash in the weeds just gets their attention.

bigbore
05-13-2007, 01:59 AM
theres a really good couple articles on Pike flyfishing in this years Alberta Fishing Guide just to let you know. The article by Clive S. gives info on leaders and such. Good read

Pheasantnut
05-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks boys appreciate the advice......yeah I saw the article in the fishing guide but anything involving fire well knowing me my neighbor's and their insurance companies would be happy if I stayed away from melting stuff:rollin ........thanks for the link doc i'll look it up.....and by the way if anyone is heading out sometime after the opener I'd be happy to tag along....share gas, expenses and a couple of beers cheers Pheasantnut