PDA

View Full Version : Auger Terror

Walleyemagnet
02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
I was at Calling last weekend and as usual, drilling dozens of holes. So I'm drilling away and suddenly just before the auger breaks through; wham! I hit something and it just violently ripped the power head out of my hands. It was shocking! I actually thought I broke my hand! It's just starting to get back to where I can make a fist again. I figure there must've been a chunk of driftwood frozen into the bottom of the ice. I'm sure if i would've had the auger against my leg, it would've knocked me on my ass.I've drilled thousands of holes and never had this happen before. Anyone else ever have this happen?

frpd
02-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Maybe firewood ??

Pincherguy
02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
I was at Calling last weekend and as usual, drilling dozens of holes. So I'm drilling away and suddenly just before the auger breaks through; wham! I hit something and it just violently ripped the power head out of my hands. It was shocking! I actually thought I broke my hand! It's just starting to get back to where I can make a fist again. I figure there must've been a chunk of driftwood frozen into the bottom of the ice. I'm sure if i would've had the auger against my leg, it would've knocked me on my ass.I've drilled thousands of holes and never had this happen before. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Happened to me once, not as violent as yours. I was hanging on pretty tight

so it didn't totaly away on me, and whatever it was broke up fairly quick.

Still hurts as it jars the crap out of your arms.
PG

Zanzibar
02-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Weird. The ice is almost 2 feet thick now, you'd think any wood floating in the lake would be at the surface. Maybe a beaver dropped his snack?

WayneChristie
02-07-2013, 10:47 PM
been thrown to my knees on slick ice by the auger, just jammed in the hole though. maybe you hit a frozen airpocket or something or a big crack

the pilot cock
02-07-2013, 10:58 PM
zoiks! I'm darn lucky. A few weeks back I went to Cold Lake and the throttle linkage on my auger broke and so the only way I could drill holes was to reach all the way under the power head without my gloves on and manually work the carburetor. By the time it was through the ice I was in a really weird bent over position with my face down by the handles and a really weak grip on the whole thing. If that had happened at that moment,:fighting0030: I would have woken up later in the day with 2 black eyes and a wicked headache that no amount of excessive drinking would have cured.

waterninja
02-08-2013, 01:19 AM
been spun around on bare ice a couple times but never had it jam that bad. lucky you wern't injured.

Kingfisher
02-08-2013, 01:22 AM
I had that happen about a month ago. My auger did that same thing. It ripped out of my hands and caught me in the gut. Good thing I have some extra padding there, or I could have been seriously hurt.

fishtank
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
happen to me too ! i got a charlie horse on my inner thigh..:( , good thing it miss my knee cap or i'll have a tear ligaments

medhatken
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Did it wreck the auger?

Walleyemagnet
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
The auger seems to be fine. I drilled quite a few more holes after that happened. I checked it all out the day after and its good.

bang_on_sk
02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I had pretty much the same thing happen with a post hole digger, the handle got me in the chest, sent me flying and cracked two ribs. Those suckers are dangerous.

HunterDave
02-08-2013, 04:30 PM
The "Auger of Death".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCMsRNRHyqE

Isopod
02-10-2013, 12:17 AM
I think it's just that augers can stick when breaking through the last bit of ice at the bottom of the hole. For whatever reason the blades grab as they break through, and all that force gets transferred to the person controlling the auger. Seems especially bad when there has been a warm spell and the ice has been getting wetter and softer. With a hand auger it just sticks and gets really hard to drill. With a power auger the user can go for a ride.

WillyOneStyle
02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
This is the only version of auger terror I've experienced. Hand auger. Thank goodness for black tape.

The Fisherman Guy
02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
The "Auger of Death".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCMsRNRHyqE

This happened to me yesterday!

Drilling with iliketrouts auger, and checking each hole with the Aquavu, trouts finds a nice weed edge and asks me to come check it out as I was drilling another hole. Just as I have done many times, left it idling in a half dug hole.

Suddenly it takes off, EXACTLY as in the video. Pull cord extended as well!

So, I have bad luck with augers. I ran up and grabbed the auger extension and tried to wrap my arm around the handle. Yup, stupid idea. Bang, crash, thump thump thump. Still spinning.

Both trouts and I are now holding onto the auger, and I am losing my mind.

Finally it stalled out and stopped.

First thing out of trouts mouth was "what's that about auger terror?!?" In reference to this thread. We both howled. Ended up with a nice couple of bruises for my stupidity, could've been worse.

I am 6'0 235lbs and there was no way in hell that auger would stop for me.

Knock it down with a snowshoe like the guy in the video did.