PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where the southern Walley's are?

Rob.H
02-09-2013, 06:19 AM
New to the Medicine Hat area this year and still trying to find a decent Walley spot. I am strictly catch and release so no worries about giving spots away, as I won't be keeping any. Found lots of good trout and pike fishing so far, just haven't been able to dial in the eye's. If you don't want to make it public I will take Private messages and I keep secrets well.
Thx

huntsfurfish
02-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Hi Rob!
check suziki thread. Rattlesnake, 40 mile, sherburne, chin and lake Newel are some lakes that hold walleye last 4 are better. Also Duncairn/Reid lake and Deifenbaker in Sask.:) Go Walleye(site- gowalleye.com) has maps of the lakes on it. They can help you find a spot.

Winch101
02-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Otherwise. There aren't any. Hit in miss all the res. in your area have a small population. Any place that lists eyes in the Barry Mitchell fishing guide will have some. You just have to grind it out. I don't know where you came from
But those res eyes are a little different breed than shield eyes .

Rob.H
02-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Awesome, I've tried a few of the ones mentioned but nobody seems to be hitting any where I have been. I'll check out the site though.
Take care

Rob.H
02-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Otherwise. There aren't any. Hit in miss all the res. in your area have a small population. Any place that lists eyes in the Barry Mitchell fishing guide will have some. You just have to grind it out. I don't know where you came from
But those res eyes are a little different breed than shield eyes .

Yeah I'm coming from northern Ontario, a little different fishing structures, but I'll get her down pat.

pikergolf
02-09-2013, 12:51 PM
If your not eating them, then the SSR is about as good as it gets in Alberta. Tons of eyes and very good size, 15lbs in the fall would not surprise me, plus there is the bonus of all the other species in the river. Lots of access as well, hit an access point, and start walking.

WayneChristie
02-09-2013, 06:35 PM
some very decent ones in the rivers. Im going to try and up my personal best next fall, see if I can maybe get up to 15 pounds.

fishing101
02-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Where did you come from in ontario? Forty Mile in the spring and summer can be really good. Hard to catch a keeper but lots of action. Just pull bottom bouncers, back troll jigs, and even some cranks you will catch them. If you go right across from the public launch there is a point that sticks out. It drops really fast with a hump around it. Also, a good close spot to try.

Dewillia73
02-16-2013, 08:47 AM
if you have a boat, and want some great eye catch and release fishing, in the spring and summer try crawlling valley lake just north of bassano. out by the islands in 15-20' of water, slow troll a jig head with minnow or gulp.
works everytime, somedays caught over 100.

Woody_16
02-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Another spot is Rolling Hills Reservoir right across from Newell. Caught some bruisers there this last summer but it's C&R unless you get drawn for a tag.

The river is the easiest by far, they might not always be big ones but you'll keep busy most days. The chance at all the other species doesn't hurt either. Seen some nice pike and goldeye come out around town.