PDA

View Full Version : Has Jim Shockey Run Out Of Things To Hunt?

mad mountain mike
02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Just watching Jim Shockey this morning and he is hunting farm animals in Texas. I normally enjoy his program but just can't get into high fence hunting, if you can call it hunting. Personally I would rather see more Yukon moose and Saskatawan deer hunting than the killing of exotic farm animals in Texas. IMHO

58thecat
02-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Yep I agree, got away from what gets us pumped up, to Americanized now,:snapoutofit:

Cody Robins "Live2Hunt" got it right. Yep He learned from Jim and took the best part and ran with it...good show!:sHa_shakeshout:

Alberta Bigbore
02-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Hope Cody puts out more videos out on DVD

Ryry4
02-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Yep I agree, got away from what gets us pumped up, to Americanized now,:snapoutofit:

Cody Robins "Live2Hunt" got it right. Yep He learned from Jim and took the best part and ran with it...good show!:sHa_shakeshout:

"Americanized"? There are plenty of wilderness hunts done every year down here you do realize that right?

TomCanuck
02-09-2013, 11:43 AM
I dropped my subscription to Wild TV a while back. Most of the shows did nothing for me.

A few years back I was to talking to a young service hand from Texas. He was paying $10K a year for his deer lease, and had to pay on top of that to take a specific trophy animal. Don't know if it was high fence or not. The comercialization of hunting has gone way too far it seems.

That said, I'm sure it's not all like that down there.

Donny Bear
02-09-2013, 12:02 PM
High fence hunting has to be experianced inTexas before you Pass judgement. South Africa is mainly High Fence but 10 thousnad+ hecter parcels of land and regularly hunted animals is anything but easy or canned. They have also saved a few animals from near extinction in thier home countries and provided stock for reintroduction.

Tundra Monkey
02-09-2013, 12:11 PM
I hunted mulies down in Texas.

Paid for access but no high fence.

Turkey, coyote, bobcat and a porcupine. Pretty tough to beat that.

Awesome memories and I'd go again in a heartbeat.

gman1978
02-09-2013, 12:17 PM
High fence hunting has to be experianced inTexas before you Pass judgement. South Africa is mainly High Fence but 10 thousnad+ hecter parcels of land and regularly hunted animals is anything but easy or canned. They have also saved a few animals from near extinction in thier home countries and provided stock for reintroduction.

I am sure it all depends on the outfitter you choose. Sure some hunts are on large tracks of land with no fence in site. Sure the animals are pen raised but they sure don't seem like it. I was watching a South African hunt on wild tv were they were sitting in blinds that were nicer than some of the homes over there. They were sitting over a grain trough and water bowl. The hunter went on about how it was such a world class outfit. I am sure it was but not what I want.

sns2
02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
I am sure it all depends on the outfitter you choose. Sure some hunts are on large tracks of land with no fence in site. Sure the animals are pen raised but they sure don't seem like it. I was watching a South African hunt on wild tv were they were sitting in blinds that were nicer than some of the homes over there. They were sitting over a grain trough and water bowl. The hunter went on about how it was such a world class outfit. I am sure it was but not what I want.

My thought too. I couldn't afford a trip to Africa at this point in my life, but if I ever could, it would not be in a well-apointed hut at a waterhole.

Kind of reminds me of fishing for trout at Calaway Park.

K44
02-09-2013, 03:03 PM

X2

Mutter87
02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
THose Deer in Sask are baited, so its not really any different.

Ryry4
02-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Sounds like some elk and bighorn hunts in Saskatchewan.

Sledhead71
02-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Might turn into a humorous thread :)

Jim and his crew have over harvested his Sasky tracks, they haven't figured out to let them go and let them grow thought pattern yet, may never.

Africa over water holes, well if your shooting stick and string, your best option for success really. High fences there other than dangerous game units are crossed daily by most all species. Learn about Africa, they are certainly promoting conservation of species by allowing hunting, these people would rather feed what little there is to their live stock. Hunting allows for the other species to have a market and thus they manage these accordingly. Win win for everyone.

Back to Jim, some hunts are not my thing, but I always can appreciate the story board, camera work and editing that goes across the air waves.

oddsix
02-09-2013, 05:16 PM
:sign0176:I loved the episode if there is legal stuff to hunt and ur openminded why not if your not then live off deer but keep your coments to your self and don't give the antis something to go after because once they take one thing away your deer are next.

Who Da Fisherman
02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Sounds like some elk and bighorn hunts in Saskatchewan.

Hmm bighorn's in Sask?
I have baited, maybe next year there will be pics, not all as easy as TV makes it seem.

Dog hunter
02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
THose Deer in Sask are baited, so its not really any different.
Spot on

Tundra Monkey
02-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Hmm bighorn's in Sask?
I have baited, maybe next year there will be pics, not all as easy as TV makes it seem.

Sometimes it seems as it is tho.

Some stuff is just too far out there:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=78189&highlight=sheep+farm+canned

Doodle30
02-09-2013, 07:18 PM
For me the funny part is that he still wore his boot gaiters on the hunt. I guess you never know when two feet off snow will drop on you.

huntin
02-09-2013, 07:27 PM
For me the funny part is that he still wore his boot gaiters on the hunt. I guess you never know when two feet off snow will drop on you.

Them boot gaters might just stop a rattler from breaking the skin. If he strikes.

Austin
02-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I say Shockey for Prime Minister.

BigJon
02-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Them boot gaters might just stop a rattler from breaking the skin. If he strikes.

x2

and gaiters are useful in thorny country...or when grass and other plants have seeded out...I hate pickin' seeds and junk outta my boots...

jkav
02-09-2013, 07:51 PM
x2

and gaiters are useful in thorny country...or when grass and other plants have seeded out...I hate pickin' seeds and junk outta my boots...

also, ticks.

J.

Doodle30
02-09-2013, 08:05 PM

Jim wore those gaiters to pay bills. Not for snakes or ticks.

skidderman
02-09-2013, 08:05 PM
I think Jim has got to a point where he doesn't need to care what we think. His shows are still way better than the boring Texas deer hunts we so often see.

echo
02-09-2013, 08:12 PM
I think Jim has got to a point where he doesn't need to care what we think. His shows are still way better than the boring Texas deer hunts we so often see.

huntin
02-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Jim wore those gaiters to pay bills. Not for snakes or ticks.

What brand were they? Did he trust his life to them? Do you have a secret man crush on Jim so your trying to pick him apart.

TBark
02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Saw a clip of him in Africa where he seemed upset that the locals guiding him killed a snake.
Maybe I misunderstood he gist of what he said, maybe someone here saw it too, but it appeared he felt it was a waste just because the cameras were not rolling, but justified if it were caught on film, like any of his kills/ harvests.
I may have read him wrong but what he said felt odd to me at the time.

TBark

Doodle30
02-09-2013, 09:34 PM
What brand were they? Did he trust his life to them? Do you have a secret man crush on Jim so your trying to pick him apart.

Yeah that's it.

fat cat
02-09-2013, 09:41 PM
shokey hasn't run out of thing to hunt, just run out of how to make him look like the best! Anyone with money can do what he does. Maybe try putting your socks on your feet and your gloves on your hands jimmy you are a arrogant man on his way out..do it gracefully

Torkdiesel
02-09-2013, 09:53 PM
shokey hasn't run out of thing to hunt, just run out of how to make him look like the best! Anyone with money can do what he does. Maybe try putting your socks on your feet and your gloves on your hands jimmy you are a arrogant man on his way out..do it gracefully

I have to disagree with you fat cat. I've met Jim and sat down for supper with him and his family, he's a very nice man and not arrogant at all. His commitment to work hard for what he has is where his success comes from, he certainly wasn't born with money. He's certainly not on his way out, he's in the top three biggest names in hunting right now. Jelousy is a cruel disease, you should seek treatment right away :(

bush monkey
02-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I have to disagree with you fat cat. I've met Jim and sat down for supper with him and his family, he's a very nice man and not arrogant at all. His commitment to work hard for what he has is where his success comes from, he certainly wasn't born with money. He's certainly not on his way out, he's in the top three biggest names in hunting right now. Jelousy is a cruel disease, you should seek treatment right away :(

Shockey is no doubt high on himself. I saw one of his shows where he pushed a camera man between him and a hipo that charged. He said there are lots of camera men, but only one of him. Tried to spin it off as a joke! Ya he is very successful, but he's a weirdo.

skidderman
02-09-2013, 11:21 PM
I like the shows with his father & father in law. His average hunt in the Yukon is what most of us would want to do just once. Not all of his shows will appeal to us. I think he will be around for a long time.

Donny Bear
02-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Jim is a successful Canadian a great spokes person for SCI and he is human has his off days, I have heard complaints about our more local talent as well and have met some of them on good days and on bad days days when they talk and other when they brush you off.

Live in a glass house for all to see and try to be perfect for everyone see how it goes.

H380
02-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Jim is a successful Canadian a great spokes person for SCI and he is human has his off days, I have heard complaints about our more local talent as well and have met some of them on good days and on bad days days when they talk and other when they brush you off.

Live in a glass house for all to see and try to be perfect for everyone see how it goes.

I agree , Jim has a quality show and is a great ambassador for the sport . Ialso think he is running out of things to take and places to go , some of his recent ventures don't appeal to me but thats how it is , we can't all be alike . Same in his line of work as here on the forum , we all have off days and sometimes say and do things we regret later.

Don K
02-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Shockey is no doubt high on himself. I saw one of his shows where he pushed a camera man between him and a hipo that charged. He said there are lots of camera men, but only one of him. Tried to spin it off as a joke! Ya he is very successful, but he's a weirdo.

Lol ! That's not weird, thats smart!!!
Pretty sure I'd do the same, it's called self preservation!:)

KegRiver
02-10-2013, 04:48 PM

I don't know much about Mr. Shockey. I've seen a couple of his shows, but what does that tell me? Nothing really.

But I agree, we all have our off days. Why should celebrities be any different?

TIMWOLF
02-10-2013, 05:18 PM
A typical hunting forum thread gone south.:(

Although its through a television screen, Jim has brought us on some unbelieveable trips to places that span the globe twice over yet people still give him flack and say he has to do more to keep up with their standards. Don't like what hes putting on TV maybe get a second occupation instead of your armchair athlete profession and make your own show. Feel free to go out and try to find something out there that Jim has not already brought to you at one point in time.

Jim worked for what he has and is a true ambassador in many ways in regards to the hunting world. Nobody is perfect, and although some may not like something about him or how he hunts you have to give the guy the credit that is due. Some of my favorite shows are the ones when he is out with Hal, Len, and Eva. Seeing him interact with them is truy a good representation of the type of guy he is. Thankful to his dad for getting him into hunting and in turn doing his best to help Eva and Branlin enjoy the mutual interest that they share. I really think that this is a big part of why people follow his show and like him so much as it represents what many of them do with their own families.

I met him once at the SCI show and he was very genuine. He was nice enough to autograph one of his books for my wife and I, and gave us five minutes of his time at his booth. Hopefully one time during my hunting career I am able to sit down and have a conversation with him, whether it is in an airport on my way somewhere or around a campfire under the african sky.

http://mob799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/BWANATIM/P1210143.jpg

bigshell
02-10-2013, 05:41 PM
I don't usually watch hunting shows but of all the ones I have watched Jim's Yukon moose hunting trips are the best I've seen.He has a really good crew/camerman.
I think its great that he's a Canadian sucess story and wish him continued sucess in the future.

Roughneck Country
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I personally prefer his Yukon Stuff, one thing he doesn't do much of is North American Sheep, I don't ever recall him hunting them on TV I might be wrong. I think he is positioning his kids to be in the sport. His daughter is a smoke show and i am sure she will be the next "front man" in the Shocky empire while his boy will be the production side of things.

I think he does a lot of African hunts because of the bang for your buck you get over there. One trip to Africa might make 2, 3 maybe even 4 shows out of one trip while a hunt over here One trip for a Yukon Moose is 1 maybe 2 shows if he stretched it out.

Still one of the better shows out there, sitting in the same tree stands every season shooting average deer like the Primos team gets boring fast.

nube
02-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Personally i don't know why anyone would spout BS about Jim like some have on here. He in my mind has the best hunting shows out there. The Professionals is my favorite and is the reason why I am hunting my Tur next year and plan on a marco polo/ ibex hunt as well as a blue sheep hunt. He has great hunts and great footage. He has done a lot for the sport as well. I don't know why people would say he is high on himself. I see a guy that is successful and a good hunter. I think there is alot of jealous people when they see that in a person.

hayseed
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Some of you guys amaze me, turn on one of your own, who hunts all over the world??

Jealous at best... Unreal..

Mutter87
02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
His Yukon stuff is one of a kind. He'd be a great guy to spend a week hunting with, I'd wager he could regal you with stories for the entirety of the trip and keep you amused day in and day out.

Okotokian
02-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Just watching Jim Shockey this morning and he is hunting farm animals in Texas. I normally enjoy his program but just can't get into high fence hunting,

On next week's episode.....

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/454356795/bullseye_teddy_bear.jpg?color=White&height=460&width=460

Ryry4
02-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Some of you guys amaze me, turn on one of your own, who hunts all over the world??

Jealous at best... Unreal..

X2.

Serengeti Charters
02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
The whole Shockey clan are pretty good people, friends with Eva as we went to school together, was just texting her the other night, and know Branlin, although not well as he was a few grades above me. I think it is kind of unfair to say Jim has an ego, every single host has an ego that makes it hard to fit through a door, that's really the nature of the business, and it is unfortunate but the cold hard truth, so if you're going to throw him under the bus, better start getting more buses because almost anyone on tv is the same.

nube
02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
The whole Shockey clan are pretty good people, friends with Eva as we went to school together, was just texting her the other night, and know Branlin, although not well as he was a few grades above me. I think it is kind of unfair to say Jim has an ego, every single host has an ego that makes it hard to fit through a door, that's really the nature of the business, and it is unfortunate but the cold hard truth, so if you're going to throw him under the bus, better start getting more buses because almost anyone on tv is the same.

People will call it an Ego when they see someone that has had success and knows a lot more than the person looking at them. Jim has hunted all over the world and not just pussssy hunts. He has hunted hard. If anyone has been watching his blue sheep hunt lately the last 3 weeks will see that. He has been there done that and with the knowledge he has it can easily be seen as an ego but I think it isn't.
Who really cares if he runs off to Texas and shoots a few critters? I am sure he is having fun taking his daughter and enjoying himself.
I bet the people on here slagging him don't even know him and are spouting off for some unknown reason.

Icefisher2885
02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
The sport could use more people like Jim. An awesome ambassador. Fantastic show, too.

hayseed
02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
People will call it an Ego when they see someone that has had success and knows a lot more than the person looking at them. Jim has hunted all over the world and not just pussssy hunts. He has hunted hard. If anyone has been watching his blue sheep hunt lately the last 3 weeks will see that. He has been there done that and with the knowledge he has it can easily be seen as an ego but I think it isn't.
Who really cares if he runs off to Texas and shoots a few critters? I am sure he is having fun taking his daughter and enjoying himself.
I bet the people on here slagging him don't even know him and are spouting off for some unknown reason.

Well said bud....some people jus don't get it...

Wait a sec!!! Didn't you have a thread??

Lmao.... J/k man!!