PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Know Your New Rifle

Rock&Ice
02-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi, I just upgraded to a new rifle and want to run it through the paces with a variety of different factory loads and grains so I know how it shoots beyond 100 yards (the public range max) well before next hunting season. I don’t want to debate LR shooting. I’m just a guy who wants to know his rifle and practice on targets while enjoying a day of shooting with my new rifle in a low consequence environment.

I’d like to know how others learn about the shooting patterns of their rifles for longer distances when you don’t have access to a long distance range or big plots of shootable private land. Its been a while since I got a new rifle so do you just find a remote piece of crown land that you know is away from where people are working/recreating, has good visibility, low ricochet potential, etc? Or at least earshot away from the nearest road so you don’t get called in for shooting outside of what the general public considers hunting season? Have you ever had any issues?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

ward
02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
http://www.albertarifle.com/homestead.htm

Rock&Ice
02-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks Ward. I've been to the public range and its 100 yards. The private range says its for competition not plinking.

Torkdiesel
02-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Crown land. Where ever it's safe to do so. Nobody ever complains as long as your a half hour out of town. That's what I do anyway.

toomanyhobbies
02-10-2013, 09:10 AM
You didn't look very well. There's a 200y range where the brush has been cleared on the right side of the main range. It runs up the hill a bit. Not so much junk piled at the end though, so it might not be quite as obvious.

Be careful though, make sure other any shooters know you are up there setting targets.

Thanks Ward. I've been to the public range and its 100 yards. The private range says its for competition not plinking.