PDA

View Full Version : shore fishing--Costa Rica???

BEL
02-09-2013, 12:20 PM
We are holidaying in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. I rented a fishing rod from a local store and along with lures from home will attempt fishing from shore. I have an idea how to do this but would like some of your suggestions if you have been successful at this style of fishing. High tide, low tide? From the beach or from rocks? Bait versus rapala minnows?? Thanks in advance. BEL

fish gunner
02-09-2013, 01:12 PM
We are holidaying in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. I rented a fishing rod from a local store and along with lures from home will attempt fishing from shore. I have an idea how to do this but would like some of your suggestions if you have been successful at this style of fishing. High tide, low tide? From the beach or from rocks? Bait versus rapala minnows?? Thanks in advance. BEL

Start small and work your way up. Catch a small mullet etc close to docks or near the rocks. Cut into steaks 1" or so thick . Now cast to deeper water . Repeat process till you reach the limit of your gear. If fish are slashing on the surface lures will do the trick . Look for fish to feed at the turning of the tide . As the tide rises fish will follow the flow up . At the fall of the tide fish tend to hold narrows or runs that collect bait fish . Look for birds they often hint at spots that hold fish . Hope that helps . Do not handle fish you cannot Id . Cut your line or pull hook .
Tight lines.

Piker
02-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I was there a year ago altho I never fished I saw a lot of locals pass by the resort with fish and they did not have to fancy gear. I stayed at the Langosta right on the beach and they would walk by mainly on the weekends. Hope this helps. Post above is excellent advice. Piketr

BEL
02-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Walked the beach this morning with the tide almost fully in. I mentioned to my wife the situation with the gulls, pelicans, and tide bringing bait fish in. Good point about starting small, never thought of that. Thanks. I rented a pail and net for catching baitfish. I hope I can master the throw. BEL

fish gunner
02-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Walked the beach this morning with the tide almost fully in. I mentioned to my wife the situation with the gulls, pelicans, and tide bringing bait fish in. Good point about starting small, never thought of that. Thanks. I rented a pail and net for catching baitfish. I hope I can master the throw. BEL

We used to dig a small pit just below the high tide mark . Then sit and throw bread crusts or bacon fat in small chunks. Then throw your net over the pit Every 30 min or so . Other easy baits shrimp from the buffet . :) again be careful handling net small rays and jellies can become tangled . Make a note of tide and sky conditions when birds feed as these cycles often repeat /change given different winds /sky's. Get some one to explain rips on a wave beach ,fish will sit in the rip and it's a good way to get baits further out than casting.
Balloons make a great bobber.