PDA

View Full Version : Maui fishin

GOT1!
02-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Does anyone have any good advice for shore fishing in Maui? I will be in Kihei area and wanna blow some vacation time doin some fishing. i have my medium travel rod, what sort of lures are worthy of packin? I imagine I will bring some octopus hooks and lead to do some bait fishing also. Anyone have any success and care to share info on what was successful? I truly know nothin about ocean fishing so any advice is more than what I know.

Ruger1022
02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
It's all fished out ten fold on the shores of Maui, you'll need to charter a boat to see any real action.

I've been going for the past 7 years snorkling/fishing and its crazy the amount of fish that have vanished in the time period I have been going. :(

That what happens when you dont have any sort of conservation I guess.

Good Luck

fish gunner
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
See Costa Rica thread. Tips given will work in Hawaii to.

ashman35
02-10-2013, 11:05 AM
I fished last year off the point on Kam 2 in Kihei used lures had a few follows no hits then bait I used shrimp lots of bites from small reef fish but they just steal your bait (needed smaller hooks) when I was same spot this year I talked to a guy from Alaska and he has some luck with a bobber and bait.:shark::shark:
Ashman

WillyOneStyle
02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I went with StrikeZone Sport fishing in March, 2012, and had a blast. They did high speed trolling as well as bottom fishing. Nice guys. You can find them at the harbour between Kihea and Laheina.

Ruger1022
02-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I went with StrikeZone Sport fishing in March, 2012, and had a blast. They did high speed trolling as well as bottom fishing. Nice guys. You can find them at the harbour between Kihea and Laheina.

Thats the way to get'er done!!, nice work.

GOT1!
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I also have booked a charter to try, so I am pumped for that. "Rascal" sportfishing charter. Even if i catch some small reef fish fom shore, It'll keep me amused. Thanks for all the suggestions.

dwo
02-12-2013, 05:07 PM
I was in Maui last summer and booked with Die Hard in Lahiana. Awesome trip! We left the dock at 2:00 AM to go out and catch live bait. That took us about 90 minutes. Then it was a 2.5 hour ride out to the FAD where the water was extremely rough. All 6 of us on the boat landed tuna in the 30 - 50 lb range and I was lucky enough to land a small marlin too. Capt. Fuzzy and his crew work extremely hard at maximizing the catch and have an excellent reputation. We were on the water for almost 13 hours.

I would highly recommend Die Hard to everyone.

Traps
02-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I was in Maui last summer and booked with Die Hard in Lahiana. Awesome trip! We left the dock at 2:00 AM to go out and catch live bait. That took us about 90 minutes. Then it was a 2.5 hour ride out to the FAD where the water was extremely rough. All 6 of us on the boat landed tuna in the 30 - 50 lb range and I was lucky enough to land a small marlin too. Capt. Fuzzy and his crew work extremely hard at maximizing the catch and have an excellent reputation. We were on the water for almost 13 hours.

I would highly recommend Die Hard to everyone.

I concur, we had similar results

JJMorrocco
02-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Was in Maui last week and we went with Maui Fun Charters out of Maalea. Its a small boat but its great. They stay within the islands and do bottom fishing. We caught about 20 fish between the 6 of us- a little less than their average. It was nice since we did not have to get up at 1am and spend the whole day on the boat to get fish. They depart at 7:30 and have you home by lunch. Charge 140 per person. Great guides true locals, give you a different perspective. Message me if you want more info. They also explained why the big fish guys aren't doing so well.