PDA

View Full Version : Can you train a dog to sniff out sheds?

greylynx
02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Alberta Bigbore's posts had me wondering.

Can you train a dog to sniff out sheds?

What do you think?

pikergolf
02-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Of course.

bdub
02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
I haven't really tried training mine to sniff them out but I let her chew on them constantly and we also play fetch with them. Now when we are out she will often come trotting in with a shed. I think she has found about as many as me when we have gone out in the last couple years.

catnthehat
02-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Alberta Bigbore's posts had me wondering.

Can you train a dog to sniff out sheds?

What do you think?

You can train a good dog to sniff out danged near anything!:)
Cat

flyguyd
02-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Yes definatley

My girl is hit and miss, but she does add the odd one to the pile

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad153/flyguydh/sienna1.jpg

greylynx
02-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Cat

Your right Cat. The five watt bulb between my ears started flickering..There are even "corpse dogs" sadly enough to say.

I was just wondering.:)

Take care.

catnthehat
02-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Your right Cat. The five watt bulb between my ears started flickering..There are even "corpse dogs" sadly enough to say.

I was just wondering.:)

Take care.

The thing about cadaver dogs is that cadavers smell a lot more than sheds, so it's pretty easy to train them for that i would think, unless you are talking about water related cadaver dogs, that takes a lot of time !!:sign0161:
I've had two different dogs on my boat on recoveries, simply amazing that they can smell and even track a body that is moving in a river but submerged!!:cool:
Cat

pikergolf
02-09-2013, 03:51 PM
My pointer will find every pile of deer chit in the vicinity. He thinks it's popcorn, really likes the frozen stuff. As for antlers I think if the dog was rewarded well, they'd have a hay day.

Grizzly Adams
02-09-2013, 03:55 PM
From a dog's viewpoint , a shed is just another bone. :lol: Shouldn't be hard to train em.

Grizz

catnthehat
02-09-2013, 04:22 PM
The dog in the bow of my boat in this pic has one of the finest noses I have ever seen, she is a S.A.R. dog that specializes in water rescues and recoveries .
She can smell a person in the woods or a body under the water at depths that are not readily believed unless you have seen her work!:cool:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/bieandWeibo_zps338c0df4.jpg
Cat

-CLM-
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
If your willing to put in the time it can be done. No different than training a pup for pheasants or ducks. One time while walking the edge of a field my lab took off on a dead run and pulled a 70 inch whitetail shed out from an oat swath. I never would have spotted it. The shed was very fresh and still had blood on the pedicle. They have an incredible sense of smell.

creeky
02-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Cat

X 1 million percent for sure you can

Pixel Shooter
02-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Looks like Tom Dokken wrote the book on it (and the DVD) and hosts the World Shed Dog Championships http://www.sheddogtrainer.com/index.htm

KegRiver
02-10-2013, 07:02 AM
My pointer will find every pile of deer chit in the vicinity. He thinks it's popcorn, really likes the frozen stuff. As for antlers I think if the dog was rewarded well, they'd have a hay day.

My dog is the same that way. Her treasures! YUCK!

Iskra
02-10-2013, 04:23 PM
When you reward a dog for finding what you are looking for it will find it. Look at a customs dogs or a police dogs. There is a company in Edmonton using dogs to find bed bugs in an apartment buildings.
One thing I wonder. If dogs have a sense of smell 3000 times better then humans, why do they put their nose right against other dog's rear end.

KegRiver
02-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I saw a program on TV a while back where they had trained a dog to sniff out cancer in people.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could train a dog to sniff out gold and diamond.

Mmmmmmmmmm gold and diamonds, , ,, ,, Mmmmmmmmmm I wonder, , , ,

Mb-MBR
02-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Not sure if its scripted or not but the show Mountain Men...........the gent that lives in northern Montana takes his dog shed hunting. I'm assuming you can train a dog, either that or the dog is a good actor:confused0024: