PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have this problem ?

ali#1
02-09-2013, 10:12 PM
I shoot shotgun right handed and always have since childhood, But I am left eye dominant and feel more comfortable shooting rifle left handed. Infact I am a better shot left handed. I have tried shooting my shotguns left handed and to say I suck at it would be an insult to sucking. Just wondering if I am alone in this or if its a common problem.

257wbyhunter
02-09-2013, 10:17 PM
my wife is exactly the same. every time i take her shooting she will shoot left handed then 10 min later she will shoot right handed. it drives me NUTS.it the same with fishing i spend more time changing reel handles for her cause she can't make up her mind which way to reel.i say do what feels most comfortable for u. thats all u can do till you train your eyes and body to only accept one way.

ali#1
02-09-2013, 10:20 PM
my wife is exactly the same. every time i take her shooting she will shoot left handed then 10 min later she will shoot right handed. it drives me NUTS.it the same with fishing i spend more time changing reel handles for her cause she can't make up her mind which way to reel.i say do what feels most comfortable for u. thats all u can do till you train your eyes and body to only accept one way.

Why don't you turn the reel upside down ?

I never noticed I shot rifle better left handed til the last year or so never tried it much before. I have always shot shotgun right handed and it feels more natural. But rifle I now did myself grabbing it left handed when I go to shoot.

257wbyhunter
02-09-2013, 10:27 PM
because its one of my all time pet peeves to use a spinning reel upside down.

ali#1
02-09-2013, 10:31 PM
because its one of my all time pet peeves to use a spinning reel upside down.

I switch back and forth as we'll with a fishing rod, Mostly because my right gets tired, I drive left handed though and only switch right when my left gets tired.

flyguyd
02-09-2013, 10:56 PM
I am left handed but right eye dominant.

I changed over to shoot right, i do everything else left

ali#1
02-10-2013, 01:01 AM

Seems we have the same thing just opposite.

:thinking-006:

JTRED
02-10-2013, 06:14 AM
I am also right handed and left eye dominant, this doesn't really affect me when I'm shooting rifles as I close my left eye anyhow but it really throws my trap shooting off. Before I knew I was left eye dominant I was always closing my left eye naturally and would shoot alright ( for me alright is anything better then 18) but when one of the older guys would come out and coach me they would get me to keep both eyes open(like you're supposed to) and wow I was lucky to get 5. Finally after a couple of rounds the guy coaching me asked which eye had dominance and I didn't know so after a couple of quick tests we found I am not right eye dominant. He suggested a couple of things 1) a patch or piece of tape over my left lens to force the right to focus(basically the same as closing that eye) 2)switching to shooting left-dismal failure after 35+ years of shouldering guns on the right going left felt too weird. So I went back to just closing my left eye. A really good day for me at trap is when all my rounds go over 20, the left eye dominance thing gives me another excuse for being high, low, ahead or behind: mostly I just don't get enough shooting in. Plus I'm just not champion trap shooting material but man do I love when those clays turn to dust when you really connect. Can't wait to get our club up and going again in the spring.

WhiteFalcon
02-10-2013, 06:54 AM

Ditto. Hockey, baseball, lacrosse all left but shooting is right.

Lefty-Canuck
02-10-2013, 09:36 AM
I am left handed but right eye dominant....I write, shoot, do archery, throw....all left handed.

I bat, golf, play hockey, all right handed.....yah I am messed up :)

LC

H380
02-10-2013, 09:59 AM
I am left handed but right eye dominant....I write, shoot, do archery, throw....all left handed.

I bat, golf, play hockey, all right handed.....yah I am messed up :)

LC

Wouldn't call you messed up , just well rounded , to be politically correct ...lol..I'm left eye dominant , right handed .. All guns are leftys now as well as my bow ..Can shoot right handed but boy is it awkward .

winmag
02-10-2013, 10:00 AM
always was told usually by other woman i would ruin my two boys when i forced them to eat right handed and i said fine you fork out the extra doe for a left hand rifle jokingly they both shoot fine right handed but the granddaughter is left dominate and likes to shoot right i got her a pink daisy gun and she is switching to left begrudgingly and she pounds pop cans real good so i think she will do fine seems woman have this problem more than men just my observation