PDA

View Full Version : the weirdest thing. today

vanhill
02-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Today we had a 150 inch white tail in the back yard (not out of. The ordinary) but he was chaseing does around like the rut. I never have seen such a thing this late in the year. I was wondering anybody else seen things like this?

toomanyhobbies
02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
What's a 150 inch whitetail? Since I don't trophy hunt, that means nothing to me. Were there a lot of short tines, or a couple of long ones? How about just telling us how many points it had?

:fighting0074:

Sorry but I've seen a few people describing deer this way lately, and I find it to be useless info.

To your question - I saw a big 4x4 whitetail buck today with 4 does - seems like he was riding herd on them too. I would have thought he'd have left the does behind for the winter?

petew
02-10-2013, 09:24 PM
A friend called this weekend and told me about watching a buck breed a doe in his yard 4 times this Friday afternoon. He said the buck had lost his rack, but not his desire.

elkhunter11
02-10-2013, 10:04 PM
What's a 150 inch whitetail? Since I don't trophy hunt, that means nothing to me. Were there a lot of short tines, or a couple of long ones? How about just telling us how many points it had?

Sorry but I've seen a few people describing deer this way lately, and I find it to be useless info.

Personally, I find the best way to describe a buck is to give the number of points on each antler, as well as the approximate B&C score. An example would be a 150 class 5x5. Simply stating the total number of points really means very little in itself, since the spread could be 10" or 25", and the times could be 1" or 12". As well, a "ten point" could have 5 points on each side, or it could be a small 3x3 with some stickers on the bases.

As to bucks chasing does, I have seen different members of the deer family do this well after the normal rut has passed.

sb123
02-10-2013, 10:05 PM

To your question - I saw a big 4x4 whitetail buck today with 4 does - seems like he was riding herd on them too. I would have thought he'd have left the does behind for the winter?

Stating the score of an animal has nothing to do with being a trophy hunter, using the score of an animal is the best way to visualize an animal, someone saying it was a big 4 point doesn't mean much, but someone saying it was a 150" means for a 4x4, it has an average tine length of 10" , main beans of 20", 3 average circumfrences of 5" per side and an inside spread of 20". For mule deer I use a general rule of 20" wide by 20" high is ~160", 22"x22" is 170" and 24"x24" is 180", for elk if the average tine length is 12" then its a 300", then add 12" for every extra inch of average tine length. Im not a trophy hunter either, but there's nothing worse then hearing stories about all these monster deer that actually are pretty average to small.

catnthehat
02-10-2013, 10:06 PM
I've never heard of does cycling this late, but it would not surprise me in the least.
Cat

petew
02-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Maybe that doe was realy a Cougar.

whitetail Junkie
02-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Today we had a 150 inch white tail in the back yard (not out of. The ordinary) but he was chaseing does around like the rut. I never have seen such a thing this late in the year. I was wondering anybody else seen things like this?

More then A few times ive seen fawns in late september that had spots and were 20 pounds soaking wet.....It happens man!

Browning hunter
02-11-2013, 05:58 AM
I have seen Fawns with spots in November a member of our hunting group took one about 4 years ago. We were pretty surprised at how small it was, maybe 35 lbs easily picked up with one hand.

KegRiver
02-11-2013, 06:21 AM
I have observed breeding activity in January, but that was the latest I've seen.

I do know that most animals cycle, that is, the females can come into heat more then once in a season. I believe three cycles is the norm but four is definitely possible and it could be more.
If they aren't bred the first time they come into heat, they will come into heat again in about three and a half weeks.

ACKLEY ABE
02-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Stating the score of an animal has nothing to do with being a trophy hunter, using the score of an animal is the best way to visualize an animal, someone saying it was a big 4 point doesn't mean much, but someone saying it was a 150" means for a 4x4, it has an average tine length of 10" , main beans of 20", 3 average circumfrences of 5" per side and an inside spread of 20". For mule deer I use a general rule of 20" wide by 20" high is ~160", 22"x22" is 170" and 24"x24" is 180", for elk if the average tine length is 12" then its a 300", then add 12" for every extra inch of average tine length. Im not a trophy hunter either, but there's nothing worse then hearing stories about all these monster deer that actually are pretty average to small.

Exactly...

VANHILL:
"150 whitetail" worked perfectly for me and would for anyone that I know and hunt with.. Gave me a pretty good picture of the animal in my head. Nice deer but not a monster, etc.

crownb
02-11-2013, 08:06 AM
It doesn't matter what time of the year if an animal goes into heat, she will be bred. About 10 years ago on November 30th my old man and I saw a cow and calf moose, the calf was no more than a month old, can't believe he wasn't wolf bait already.

bowzonebucks
02-11-2013, 09:26 AM

Pick up a book
I think the poster pretty accurately described the deer in the best possible way

Vingiu
02-11-2013, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=toomanyhobbies;1843751]What's a 150 inch whitetail? Since I don't trophy hunt, that means nothing to me. Were there a lot of short tines, or a couple of long ones? How about just telling us how many points it had?

And the idiot of the week goes too is.... This clown. If you hear a 150" buck and can't picture it in your head you shouldn't be hunting deer. We are not Americans therefore don't say a 10 point as for useless info I think not, man it's no wonder people don't respond to dumb ass statements like this. I think your name says it all too many hobbies you should stick to knitting.

Shouldn't be hunting deer? Well then you might as well take away my hunting rights and most of the folks I know, cause we've got no interest in guessing games. Honestly buddy, I don't see what you're so upset about. The guy has his opinion, and you have yours. I think in this case you could have done without the name calling and all that crap. Take it easy, pal.

Whiteysonly
02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=Whiteysonly;1844119]

Shouldn't be hunting deer? Well then you might as well take away my hunting rights and most of the folks I know, cause we've got no interest in guessing games. Honestly buddy, I don't see what you're so upset about. The guy has his opinion, and you have yours. I think in this case you could have done without the name calling and all that crap. Take it easy, pal.

I am taking it easy, just saying if he doesn't know what a 150 looks like he obviously doesn't have enough experience to wander into the woods with a rifle meat hunter or not,Similar to the guys that shoot mule deer and say whoops I thought it was a whitetail.

Vingiu
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
So what would you say to me? I can't look at a deer and say "Oh, by gosh, that's a 150!" So I suppose I should lose my license, and never be allowed to hunt deer until I learn the skills of one such as yourself? I have no interest in learning such things, because it's irrelevant to what I do - I harvest game for meat, the fun and challenge of hunting, and great times with my partners. I don't need to be able to accurately guess what my buck will score. If I did, I would have been taught in my hunter education course.

Furthermore, you just compared poaching to the actions of a seemingly ethical and legal hunter. I've got a big problem with that, and I'm sure others do too. Don't put your foot in your mouth any further, you might choke :)

Bound2Fish
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
No one said anything about not being able to properly identify anything. I myself have trouble scoring an animal through a set of binoculars or just by looking at it but I can guess. As for distinguishing species, that is not an issue for me. Whether he is 130 or 160, it doesnt really matter to me I am looking to put some meat in the freezer while enjoying my hunt. It doesnt mean that I should stop hunting because I cant visually measure how many inches of horn a buck has. I look at the species, make sure its legal then tag it, bag it and freeze it. People hunt for different reasons, its not all about how much mass they carry on their head.

Vingiu
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Well I said nothing about poaching my guinea friend, I was just comparing the lack of experience hunting which you obviously have ,to people that can't identify wildlife that's all.
You didn't really address any of my questions, but that's fine. I think you got my point. As for the racial slur... Your kind of character doesn't deserve any further response from me.

crabtree
02-11-2013, 06:44 PM
This thread certainly got sidetracked from late breeding to being able to score a rack --

I do have to defend people who do not care a great deal about the size of the rack.

I have hunted deer for a lot of years and I look for size of body- what is that animal going to butcher out to - then I might look at the rack, but that all depends on - is my deep freeze is full or I'm just starting for the season.
I personally do not care what that animal scores if I'm filling my deep freeze. The rack my take a place of honor in my collection, and if I have time after my meat supply is looked after I will scout around for that BIG ONE, and maybe one day I will take one in to have it scored.

Just my opinion - I'm a meat hunter -

Had a young fawn in my area this fall - was by itself by Sept. Just out of spots. Was gone by end of December. Sad to see,

huntin'fool
02-11-2013, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=toomanyhobbies;1843751]What's a 150 inch whitetail? Since I don't trophy hunt, that means nothing to me. Were there a lot of short tines, or a couple of long ones? How about just telling us how many points it had?

And the idiot of the week goes too is.... This clown. If you hear a 150" buck and can't picture it in your head you shouldn't be hunting deer. We are not Americans therefore don't say a 10 point as for useless info I think not, man it's no wonder people don't respond to dumb ass statements like this. I think your name says it all too many hobbies you should stick to knitting.

WOW, aren't you one special little boy.

CLOWN? IDIOT? because a guy can't picture a 150" deer, he shouldn't be hunting. WOW....just.....WOW

You must have an awful big shovel...the hole you've dug yourself has never been deeper!

It's been said before, but, I suggest you re-read Schwanky's article about Love, Honour, Respect. You are exactly what the outdoors community and brethren do not need or ever want. Shame on you.