PDA

View Full Version : coyotes. what am i doing wrong?

tikka250
02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
so i am still sorta new to calling and such i had good luck this fall with hand calls but ever since the end of hunting season i havent been able to get anything to show up.
my usual setup is to snowshoe a ways away to where im going to call. set the E caller about 30 feet ahead of me with the wind at my back or going crosswind. my sequence is usualy invitation howls then wait 5 min jackrabit distress wait 5 min then kiyi or pup in distress. i have tried with hand calls and the E call and still nothing.
i know that there is coyotes frequenting the area due to tracks and hearing them howl in the distance.
what am i doing wrong??

SammyIam
02-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Why do you sit with the wind at your back? Then anything coming in to you in the direction you are looking will be downwind. You will never get a coyote that way. You need to set up crosswind or downwind of where they are coming from. And they will almost always circle to try and get downwind of you if they can, so set up in such a way that you can catch them in the act if possible.

ali#1
02-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Why do you sit with the wind at your back? Then anything coming in to you in the direction you are looking will be downwind. You will never get a coyote that way. You need to set up crosswind or downwind of where they are coming from. And they will almost always circle to try and get downwind of you if they can, so set up in such a way that you can catch them in the act if possible.

Agreed, While I am no expert myself its important to sit with the wind in your face.

smith88
02-10-2013, 09:49 PM
How windy is it when you go calling? I find my calling is more successful when it is less than 10km/h.

I called in a group of 3 coyotes that came from over a half mile straight down wind and there were five people hunting with. Got them to 120 yards and dropped all three. All we had was a little bit of cover scent.

I think one of the most important parts of calling is finding a spot to set up where you can see multiple ways for the coyotes to come in, and where you can see at least 200 yards.

tikka250
02-10-2013, 10:37 PM
sorry thats my bad i meant wind in my face haha. when i go out its usualy blowing below 15 kmph and i try to set up with at least 150 yards of visible clearing in front of me and i have been trying to keep a good eye to my downwind side as i had 2 coyotes bust me that way this fall.

Duramaximos
02-10-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm a relative newbie when it comes to yote hunting, but my most sucessful sets are when I'm facing downwind, looking into a huge clearing, with my back against large cover. Most of my coyotes will enter the clear 100 - 150 yrds to my left or right, and circle downwind. The problem is they don't usually stop, and will run like hell when they do catch your wind. My challenge has been stopping them before they catch my wind.

roger
02-11-2013, 06:52 AM
with the wind at my back or going crosswind.
what am i doing wrong??
duramax is 100% correct here.

use the wind in your face if you want them to show up and hold up at longer ranges, the wind at your back or crosswind will work just fine, expecting to come willingly without trusting there nose is asking a lot.
this downwind method works better on whitetails n'such even better.
downwind calling results in fast action, which isnt always good.

Salavee
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM

Can you explain a crosswind as it relates to a Coyote stand ?

smith88
02-12-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm a relative newbie when it comes to yote hunting, but my most sucessful sets are when I'm facing downwind, looking into a huge clearing, with my back against large cover. Most of my coyotes will enter the clear 100 - 150 yrds to my left or right, and circle downwind. The problem is they don't usually stop, and will run like hell when they do catch your wind. My challenge has been stopping them before they catch my wind.

Bark, whistle or yell at the damn thing to stop!

A crosswind is when the wind is moving from your right to left or vice versa.

TFishin
02-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I sit in a field facing the brish I think they qill come out of. I just wear cheap cloth painting coveralls that are pure white. I have called them in too 100yards. Jusy make sure the wind is in your face for sure.