PDA

View Full Version : Best and Most versatile UTV/ATV

madcarpenter
02-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm looking for your input, and pics of your outfitted machines in use!!
( looking to steal your ideas!!:sHa_shakeshout:)

Getting ready to drop the cash on my first ATV/UTV:sHa_shakeshout:, it'll be used for hunting/fishing/camping. I have no need for a "speed" machine, just something that will be reliable and practical.

I have been looking into Argos as they are the most versatile machines out there, but I have read that they are a pain to maintain and can be costly in repairs.

I'd like to have something with the capability to carry two people plus gear, and possibly a harvested animal. I'd also like to have the option of adding tracks in the winter.

I'm leaning towards a Polaris Ranger, but would like everyones opinions and experiences on what they have or learnt over the years.

Thanks,
Mad

leo
02-10-2013, 08:19 PM
If you want tracks, it's hard to beat an Argo. If you can live without tracks that opens up the choices. I have a John Deere Gator 825i, I really like it for payload and towing capacity. It also rides like a caddy for smoothness. Drawback is it won't fit in a pickup box, which is why I'm going to buy a deck for my truck tomorrow.

madcarpenter
02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Tracks would be nice for winter use but not a necessity.

kaleh01
02-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Can't compare tracks to wheeled machines plain and simple. I am a huge fan and owner of 3 Polaris ranger 6x6's. heaviest duty UTV out there for hauling and going into tough spots. The extra axle and 2 wheels make a big difference in soft ground. Still no tracked vehicle though so the company bought one of those as well.

http://youtu.be/ysWkP9X20Mc

Bassett
02-10-2013, 10:25 PM
An argo would be your best bet and its easy to maintain if your mechanically inclined. Would be same amount of work to maintain as any other ATV/UTV. But if you can live without the tracks buy your self a Honda 500 Foreman or a Honda 680 rubicon equipped with a tub trailer. They have the power to haul any animal you need and there tough and durable.

Popcan
02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Good stuff Mad. So your gonna take the plunge & put down some decent coin on a good machine. Here's the scoop… 3 of my buddies had Argos & they've all sold em because of the exact reasons you mentioned. ATV's / UTV's are NFG in snow because your limited to the existing trails. You mentioned tracks… After 3 winters of wasting my time I finally saved up enough dough and bought a set of X GENS & went out on my very first run today. Tell ya what. These things are capable of getting by in a lot of the deep stuff man. I actually wound up in a bit of a panic because I wasn't t used to getting by so easy & when I got off to take a few pics, I sunk up to my belly. Flipped me right out. Also not being a speed freak like yourself & just putting along in 3rd at about 20 km/hr is nice. Sounds to me like you'd be best off with a UTV for the reasons you described. My friend has a Can AM & saw fist hand what they're capable of. A bit wider than a quad but the comfort & cargo carrying capacity is well worth the difference. Flippen nice machine. Cadillac !! I could only imagine having a set of tracks on that thing.

Here's a few pics of that Can Am in the background & a few from today with the tracks.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/popcann/Tracks/XTracks_2.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/popcann/Tracks/XTracks-1.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/popcann/Tracks/XTracks_7.jpg

Hope you got deep pockets Mad

Cheers

thundergrey
02-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Good stuff Mad. So your gonna take the plunge & put down some decent coin on a good machine. Here's the scoop… 3 of my buddies had Argos & they've all sold em because of the exact reasons you mentioned. ATV's / UTV's are NFG in snow because your limited to the existing trails. You mentioned tracks… After 3 winters of wasting my time I finally saved up enough dough and bought a set of X GENS & went out on my very first run today. Tell ya what. These things are capable of getting by in a lot of the deep stuff man. I actually wound up in a bit of a panic because I wasn't t used to getting by so easy & when I got off to take a few pics, I sunk up to my belly. Flipped me right out. Also not being a speed freak like yourself & just putting along in 3rd at about 20 km/hr is nice. Sounds to me like you'd be best off with a UTV for the reasons you described. My friend has a Can AM & saw fist hand what they're capable of. A bit wider than a quad but the comfort & cargo carrying capacity is well worth the difference. Flippen nice machine. Cadillac !! I could only imagine having a set of tracks on that thing.

Here's a few pics of that Can Am in the background & a few from today with the tracks.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/popcann/Tracks/XTracks_2.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/popcann/Tracks/XTracks-1.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/popcann/Tracks/XTracks_7.jpg

Hope you got deep pockets Mad

Cheers

I have seen the same tracks on a utv as well. Pretty sure they are like $3000

Redneck Tommy
02-11-2013, 06:22 AM
If your looking at a side by side type of machine I would also check out the Arctic Cat prowler.and not to get anyone mad the Hondas are underpowered lowest hp ratings in every class:fighting0030:

Whiteysonly
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
If your looking at a side by side type of machine I would also check out the Arctic Cat prowler.and not to get anyone mad the Hondas are underpowered lowest hp ratings in every class:fighting0030:

Maybe but when your artic scrap needs a new engine that honda is still rocking

Pincherguy
02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
I love my Rhino.

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
.and not to get anyone mad the Hondas are underpowered lowest hp ratings in every class:fighting0030:

They may be but at least the Honda's and Yamaha's are the most reliable / machines on the market IMO. Seen too many issues with other.

I have had my Honda 450ES Foreman new since 1999 and its still a great machine and it has pulled its fair share of moose and elk back to camp with dragging the game or in a tub trailer.

For the POST topic, For a side-by-side, Yamaha Rhino for me. I'm looking at buying a mint used 2009/2010 700FI model here shortly. Will buy the back roll cage and 2 seats for the box for my kids.

Snort
02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I have a Polaris Ranger. It will seat 3 adults, lots of cargo capacity and rides nice. They are fairly wide, so they can be a little troublesome if you travel a lot of narrow cutlines. I have mine set up with a seat in the back for the kids in the summer. Pull that out and stick the gun boots in the back for hunting season. It works great for me.

foothills26
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM
My family has quads, argos, and now a utv. I think it really depends on what you are doing with it. The argos are nice in real soft stuff and can float and haul alot so they have their place however I find that it is a pretty uncomfortable ride. They are kind of rough so if you ever plan on using it for just a leisurely trail rides I would probably go with one of the other choices. As far as quads I have a yamaha grizzly and love it and we have a couple of hondas as well and they are bullet proof. We recently just picked up a polaris ranger and that thing is nice. The room for all the cargo and a couple of adults in the cab is nice. Just used it on the farm so far but can't wait to try it out during hunting season.

greywolf
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
They may be but at least the Honda's and Yamaha's are the most reliable / machines on the market IMO. Seen too many issues with other.

I have had my Honda 450ES Foreman new since 1999 and its still a great machine and it has pulled its fair share of moose and elk back to camp with dragging the game or in a tub trailer.

I think the suzuki quads rate right up there with the Honda's for reliability.

greywolf
02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Two (of many) things to consider when deciding which ATV/UTV to choose one would be the terrian. Many places you can go with just about anything. but don't forget that an Argo will float on water, even with a moose in the back.

The other, is how much you want to carry while hunting. When we hunt remote, sometimes we will be gone the entire day, so having the extra space, (ie, in side by side, or argo), I'll carry a couple of guns (30.06 and 22 for upland,), and, besides the usual - axe, rope, snatch blocks, etc, I'll usually throw in a small cooler, portable barbecue maybe even a chainsaw. Unless your hauling a trailer behind your quad everywhere you travel you will not have that luxury. Hauling a trailer everywhere you go is okay if you stick to powerlines/pipelines, or the open areas, but gets old real fast in the muskeg, swamps, beaverdams, etc.

Mike_W
02-11-2013, 12:07 PM
An argo would be your best bet and its easy to maintain if your mechanically inclined. Would be same amount of work to maintain as any other ATV/UTV. But if you can live without the tracks buy your self a Honda 500 Foreman or a Honda 680 rubicon equipped with a tub trailer. They have the power to haul any animal you need and there tough and durable.

I would strongly suggest against what I belive Bassett was refering to a Rincon 680.....just a piece of junk IMO foreman 500 would be better....I have a buddy with a rincon 680 couldnt even pull a 1.5 year old bull moose up a slight incline due to its lack of no low gear.

I would suggest my person favorite Cam-Am they are a superb product in every aspect.
I recently bought my second Can-Am a 2013 Outlander Max XT 1000. Yeah 1000 is overkill but I dont care its wicked. The Max is amazing hauls two adults with ease and comfort (without that "too close for comfort" male on male riding) Tracking that machine would make it unstoppable.!!

Myself I am not a UTV guy just not my thing (too wide, not enough leg room, heavy ect.)
They are great around the farm as a utility machine tho.

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
I think the suzuki quads rate right up there with the Honda's for reliability.

I will concour!! maybe thats why Arctic Cat uses Suzuki motors to help the ATVs out!!

bearbait
02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
polaris ranger! nuff said. love mine and never looked back after i bought my first one. on my second only becouse i wanted power steering. never had an issue at all with mine. 1 cv axle due to abuse thats it and bought my first one in 07.
Rob
pics of my 07
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/bearbaits/039.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/bearbaits/DSCF0684.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/bearbaits/036.jpg

pikeslayer22
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
x-2 i have the Ranger Crew its a little bit of a bus and a pain to haul around but love the ride and dependablity...haul 4 guys and moose or elk no problem.

junglejay7320
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
i bought a can am 650 this past summer...put a set of tatou 4 s tracks on it...
man that thing looked so awesome...until i took it out for a spin...the power steering does not like the tracks...there is way to much resistance...the foot print of the tracks are to much for the power steering & it basically shuts down...so now you try to turn and it's worse then a 66 chevy truck with arm strong steering... maybe not so bad if you have some space,but i was using it on my uncles trap line where there are a lot of tight spaces and i struggled...

if i owned an acreage on say slave lake and i wanted to commute back and forth to my ice hut on the lake..i think this machine would be deadly...

absolutely no go on wet & dry ground...i think snow is the trick to these tracks....

madcarpenter
02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Lots of info on here!!

Well guys it looks like I'm torn between a 2013 Polaris Ranger xp 900, and a 2013 Can-Am 1000 Outlander. Both machines can be tracked, and both have the size I want.

I upside to the Polaris is the box, but the downside is the size.
The upside to the Can-Am is the smaller machine, downside is the lack of the box.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Can-Am, I'm thinking of getting a tub trailer to haul stuff in. And I really like the idea of being able to haul it in the bed of the truck also.

I'm going to head to the dealers this weekend and check out each machine, so you may be seeing some pics of my new toy!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

pseelk
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
I just built a top for my Ranger XPhttp://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j381/pseelk/frontal1_zps3715fe3f.jpg

Smokinyotes
02-11-2013, 11:02 PM
I have owned quads since Suzuki came out with them in the early 80's. I've had suzukis, yamahas arctic cats and Polaris. I believe Polaris has the best four wheel drive system. In 2009 I sold my Suzuki king quad and bought a arctic cat prowler 1000. Fun machine but had problems with axle seals and electrical issues. Sold it and bought a Polaris Sxs. After owning a side by side, myself I would never go back to a quad.

chopperman
02-11-2013, 11:12 PM
I have a 2011 Ranger 6x6 as it fits several of my needs. First and foremost I bought it mainly for hunting. I have used it many times for moose hunting up and around High Level in some very wet country. I ran Argos for years and they are a great muskeg country machine but that's where they end, to run them steady for trail riding, yard work (I'm on a acreage), going for fire wood, getting the mail and family trail riding the maintenance and the ride don't cut it for me. The Ranger does it all and does it well.
I like that my wife, daughter and I can all go together and have room for lots of gear. The built in jockey box on the 6x6 holds all the gear I want on board all the time (tools, axe, hand saw, first aid kit, rope, water, food, extra gloves, etc.). Plus the main box for chain saw, cooler etc.
The 6x6 shines in the mud and muskeg, pulled many a quad and other utv's out of the deep stuff. But doesn't float, means either going around, building a bridge or turning around......Argo go straight ahead!
I already had a trailer but when hunting its tough to put a quad and a moose or elk in the back of a pick up......I've been there that's why I already own a trailer. I also have two Honda 450 quads (selling one shortly) and a tandem axle quad tub so I've ran different systems over the years. The other big advantage of the ranger is I can drive it all day and my back and shoulders feel fine...:)
So it depends what your needs are but I never regretted buying my Ranger!
Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy!

Todd

Popcan
02-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Lots of info on here!!

Well guys it looks like I'm torn between a 2013 Polaris Ranger xp 900, and a 2013 Can-Am 1000 Outlander. Both machines can be tracked, and both have the size I want.

I upside to the Polaris is the box, but the downside is the size.
The upside to the Can-Am is the smaller machine, downside is the lack of the box.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Can-Am, I'm thinking of getting a tub trailer to haul stuff in. And I really like the idea of being able to haul it in the bed of the truck also.

I'm going to head to the dealers this weekend and check out each machine, so you may be seeing some pics of my new toy!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Saw an Outlander 1000 in camo outfitted with tattoo tracks a couple of days ago. It was a wicked looking set up & the guy was 100% pleased with it. Fit nicely in the box of a half ton with the tail gate down. If your looking at tub trailers try & get one with a walking beam axle. Much better hauling. Cycle works out of Acheson seems to have an inside connection on certain brands. Something else you might want to add if you've got some change left over is a liner for the tub. For the cost it's well worth it.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/popcann/Tub%20Trailer/IMG_3556.jpg

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz67/popcann/Tub%20Trailer/IMG_3558.jpg

Post up a pic once you get it all figured out so we can have a look at it.

Smokinyotes
02-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I have one of those rhino tub trailers they are great. You will never bend an axle on them. The spindles are 2000 lb and the walking beam is 3500 lb.

Moosetalker
02-11-2013, 11:51 PM
I have a 2011 Ranger 6x6 as it fits several of my needs. First and foremost I bought it mainly for hunting. I have used it many times for moose hunting up and around High Level in some very wet country. I ran Argos for years and they are a great muskeg country machine but that's where they end, to run them steady for trail riding, yard work (I'm on a acreage), going for fire wood, getting the mail and family trail riding the maintenance and the ride don't cut it for me. The Ranger does it all and does it well.
I like that my wife, daughter and I can all go together and have room for lots of gear. The built in jockey box on the 6x6 holds all the gear I want on board all the time (tools, axe, hand saw, first aid kit, rope, water, food, extra gloves, etc.). Plus the main box for chain saw, cooler etc.
The 6x6 shines in the mud and muskeg, pulled many a quad and other utv's out of the deep stuff. But doesn't float, means either going around, building a bridge or turning around......Argo go straight ahead!
I already had a trailer but when hunting its tough to put a quad and a moose or elk in the back of a pick up......I've been there that's why I already own a trailer. I also have two Honda 450 quads (selling one shortly) and a tandem axle quad tub so I've ran different systems over the years. The other big advantage of the ranger is I can drive it all day and my back and shoulders feel fine...:)
So it depends what your needs are but I never regretted buying my Ranger!
Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy!

Todd

I have the identical machine and feel the same way.:sHa_shakeshout:
I even carry a 2 burner propane stove in the tough box. :)

Last year ran into a guy back country with an older Rhino, he'd torn the sidewalls out of both pass side tires. A board with 3 5' spikes was burried in the mudhole he was driving thru. Idiots trying to take trucks down atv trails. :snapoutofit:
Went back to my camp and I hooked up to my 10' flatdeck trailer and used it to haul his machine back to his camp. He was impressed with how easy the 6x6 powered thru the mudholes with his machine on the trailer.
Hardest part was getting his machine on the trailer with 2 flats..LOL
Next up the tracks for snow :thinking-006: it already goes thru more snow than a quad will even without tracks.

That said I aint parting with my Argo neither :acigar:

newguy
02-12-2013, 08:37 AM
any machine can get stuck, some easier than others...

years ago i had an 8 wheeled argo. that freakin thing was amazing! mud, water, sand, snow (not too deep), it was awesome. i hated the fact it wasnt stable at high speed and the steering was too sensitive.

not a huge fan of the utv's but many on here have great things to say about them.

i sold my 800 can am outlander max xt last fall and can't wait to get my new one! i had that machine doing 120 and it still wanted to pull! that atv is superb in every way. i ride mostly with the mrs. in easy terrain. that machine is ultra comfortable. when she isn't on the back, the machine makes quick work of nasty terrain. it has an extended wheel base that displaces the weight well. it also has the best resale value of any atv on the market.

good luck.

Mike_W
02-12-2013, 09:22 AM
any machine can get stuck, some easier than others...

years ago i had an 8 wheeled argo. that freakin thing was amazing! mud, water, sand, snow (not too deep), it was awesome. i hated the fact it wasnt stable at high speed and the steering was too sensitive.

not a huge fan of the utv's but many on here have great things to say about them.

i sold my 800 can am outlander max xt last fall and can't wait to get my new one! i had that machine doing 120 and it still wanted to pull! that atv is superb in every way. i ride mostly with the mrs. in easy terrain. that machine is ultra comfortable. when she isn't on the back, the machine makes quick work of nasty terrain. it has an extended wheel base that displaces the weight well. it also has the best resale value of any atv on the market.

good luck.

You will love your new one!!! You going 2014 or 2013? Staying with the 800?

pseelk
02-12-2013, 02:43 PM
I have the identical machine and feel the same way.:sHa_shakeshout:
I even carry a 2 burner propane stove in the tough box. :)

Last year ran into a guy back country with an older Rhino, he'd torn the sidewalls out of both pass side tires. A board with 3 5' spikes was burried in the mudhole he was driving thru. Idiots trying to take trucks down atv trails. :snapoutofit:
Went back to my camp and I hooked up to my 10' flatdeck trailer and used it to haul his machine back to his camp. He was impressed with how easy the 6x6 powered thru the mudholes with his machine on the trailer.
Hardest part was getting his machine on the trailer with 2 flats..LOL
Next up the tracks for snow :thinking-006: it already goes thru more snow than a quad will even without tracks.

That said I aint parting with my Argo neither :acigar:

This one awesome looking machine!!!!!

kaleh01
02-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Moose talker,

What's the brand of those tracks, any feedback. Pm me to keep the thread clean if you like. I have a 2009 and 2 2011 6x6's

Rhinoridr
02-12-2013, 10:14 PM
I have had three different quads ,one Honda and two bombardiers ,love the outlanders,and now I have had a yamaha rhino for the last 5 plus years .I use it mostly for hunting and like other members said having the extra room for gear is great.I have a wind shield that I only use when the snow is on the ground and with the doors it is a lot warmer to ride in than most quads.The only thing I find is that if you use it in swampy or muskeg type ground you will find it sinks or gets stuck quicker than a quad because it weighs 500lbs more on the same size tires(surface area) and general you will have more gear with you because of the room you have.The other side of the coin is that it will most like out climb or go thru snow a bit better because of the weigh on the tires and it rides better (smoother) IMO .I had toyed with the track Idea but would like more feed back on them from people that actual use them, rather than some salesman's opinion who is just trying to make a sale.

super7mag
02-13-2013, 06:57 AM
All these machines look great for hunting no doubt, but what happens when the situation arrives and you have to ask your self. "What do I do if I have to haul 5 bushels of pumpkins " the answer go green.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j385/honkerhitter/DB1C13E8-31A4-4B5C-BB15-6ABDBB502255-450-000005217210C48D_zps2fc09f84.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j385/honkerhitter/E3005BEE-C2CF-4A38-A73E-804B910C81B7-450-0000052130B0E6CE_zpsbd6a0d0f.jpg

Haha it's about all it's good for though , well that and a gopher safari.

chopperman
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Moose talker,

What's the brand of those tracks, any feedback. Pm me to keep the thread clean if you like. I have a 2009 and 2 2011 6x6's

I had the same question and he passed the site on to me:
http://www.4orcemobility.com/products/utv-six-x-six-track-kit

Impressive but not without a price....it does include tires and rims that go along wit the kit. Too bad it can't be adjusted to fit different tires.
The one concern I have if you wrecked a track those tires would be useless in most conditions.

Mutter87
02-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Go wwith Can-am. Top of the line ATV.

Rather Be Hunting
02-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Argo.:)
Have mine for 6 years now.
Maintain them and no problem!
We go with two machines, one 6 wheel, one 8 just in case however, as you never know, and some of the places we've been to would take a bloody year to walk out of!
RBH

Rock Doctor
02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Argo.:)
Have mine for 6 years now.
Maintain them and no problem!
We go with two machines, one 6 wheel, one 8 just in case however, as you never know, and some of the places we've been to would take a bloody year to walk out of!
RBH

LOL, Mine just made it into the local Newspaper, hauling kids up the sliding hill
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Snapbucket/009FFEE6_zpsb4cf1851.jpg
RD

Rather Be Hunting
02-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Good Lad!:sHa_shakeshout:

jeff5316
02-14-2013, 07:16 PM
I have a 2011 Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 with power steering. I have just over 1000kms and I love it. Lots of power, very comfortable, has lots of room for storage in the box and has another small area for storage under the hood. The only trouble I have ever had was a screw came loose on my shifter. I put a new screw in and was back riding within 5 minutes. In a few years when I decide to upgrade to a newer machine I will be buying another Prowler. Other members in my family have Prowlers as well and they have no complaints with them at all either.

Fisherpeak
02-15-2013, 08:27 AM
I love my Rhino too,I have a small trailer that I carry it on,after I unload I can hook the trailer on it and haul away.The 4 wheel drive with diff locks are great,never been stuck yet.

madcarpenter
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
After much debating and research I finally made my choice.

I went with a 2013 Can Am Outlander 1000 xt in camo!!!! (will post pics later)

And after the first short ride, I must say man does this thing have some power!:sHa_shakeshout:

In a short time I'll be putting some new rubber/rims on it as well as doing the clutches. Can't wait to see what kind of monster this thing turns into!

Thanks to everyone that gave their input and photos!

-Mad

Precisionshooter
09-25-2013, 09:39 AM
I've been using the 2013 commander ltd for only a short time. I am 6'-2" tall with decent leg length and have had absolutely no issue with leg room in the UTV! This model is 58.6" wide which isn't actually that much more then the stock 50" outlander. Riding side by side is great!

Ice Fishing Maniac
09-25-2013, 04:28 PM
The new Yamaha Viking looks like a great machine. We will have one at moose cam this season.

Only thing is it will not fit in a truck box like the Rhino did, not that it mattered to me.