PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be a solo hunter from now on - share your experience!

Vingiu
02-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Went coyote hunting today with two close friends, and man, was I ever disappointed...
Before we even set out, I wanted explicit info regarding what WMU they wanted to be in and exactly where they would like to hunt, for safety reasons (I know certain counties have bylaws restricting firearm discharge). They were reluctant to decide where they wanted to go, and assured me "no one really cares". I made it pretty clear to them that there wouldn't be any funny business going on... These boys are some of my closest mates but this kind of junk makes me question our friendship. I ain't friends with criminals...

But anyways, once we got out there: first off, we didn't nab any dogs, which is pretty much fine by me - I like to just get out there, trek in the snow and have a good time. But it was a bit disappointing not seeing anything.

What was most frustrating was my friends' complete lack of concern for land owners' rights and their legal responsibilities. We'd be driving along, see a nice spot to go sit, and they'd just want to go for it without speaking to the landowner(s). I always said "Hey boys, let's go talk to the landowners" and was always greeted with "do you really think they'll care?". This just makes me sick. Needless to say, I didn't participate in their illegal endeavours -- while they went their merry way, I even spent about 30 mins. finding a contact name and number for the land on which THEY were hunting - just to stick it to 'em. I might even give that land owner a call just to warn him/her about these types of guys. I thought these guys were ethical, straight-up hunters... I guess not.

Needless to say, I won't be hunting with partners for a while. I'm heading out this weekend for a solo trip - I'm really hoping that I can snag a few yotes for myself, just to one-up these guys. Ethical hunting > "efficient" hunting.

So what are your stories? Any similar experiences?

pikergolf
02-11-2013, 12:45 AM
In my younger days I did a few things I'm ashamed of because of peer pressure. I was lucky because the place I work had a lot of employees so we kind of sorted out our partners and found those with similar values. But those first few years, I have some regrets. Stick to your principals and go alone if that's what it takes, you will eventually find a person or persons that are like minded. You are judged on the company you keep, and if it's any consolation you did the right thing. :)

HunterDave
02-11-2013, 12:55 AM
I won't post any stories on here but I'll say that you did the right thing. I've hunted with guys that I thought I knew that I'll never go with again. You are in tough by just being in the same truck as them if they decide to do something stupid, even if you didn't.

Vingiu
02-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Yeah, it really is difficult to sit back and watch the others go hunting, but even from this small experience I think I've decided that it's worth it -- I really want to be the better man, who's actually got the consideration to follow the rules for everyone's sake. Besides, I want to make friends with these landowners - it takes guts to simply let a complete stranger occupy your land. I don't that that for granted.

1000yards
02-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Thankfully I have never been in a situation like this,
but if I ever am, I really hope to have the same integrity and standards as you.
Doing it right is the only way we can help ensure we can actually keep doing it!

philintheblank
02-11-2013, 07:43 AM
thats pretty bad, although you will find some poeple only want to come out for the kill, they dont care about the work that goes into the hunt, and they certainly dont want to be uncomfortable while they are out. i have done most of my coyote hunting this year along becuase my 'buddies' dont want to walk though the deep snow or be cold. they also dont want to come along when i am checking traps or asking farmers for persmission.

they hear the stories and see the pics from my successful yote hunts and they think they will just tag along. i would rather see nothing the whole day then listen to a guy bitch about the cold and how tired he is from walking.

Stinky Buffalo
02-11-2013, 08:00 AM
You are in tough by just being in the same truck as them if they decide to do something stupid, even if you didn't.

Yup, that's the part that gets me - if they get caught, you will be implicated by association.

I think some of those people have been doing this for years, and still think they won't be caught. They don't realize the power of the modern cell phone camera.

Cal
02-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Yup it sure can be tough to find good hunting partners. I've been hunting by myself for a long time, this year I got my wife in to it and hunting with her has been a great experience. Which got me thinking, maby if more of us took the time to mentor promising up and comers we would all benifit by having better partners and less slob hunters in the field ruining it for everyone. The hard part is finding a guy who knows when his mentorship is up and its time to step it up and become a hunting partner.

NBFK
02-11-2013, 08:34 AM
This year I'm going to be solo hunting alot except for elk and bears. It's nice when your the one who puts in the work and reaps the rewards not all your buddies who just like to be put in the best spot.

Alberta Bigbore
02-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I usually hunt solo.... or take one of the GF's sons out..... but I also like hunting with partners...

Some of my best hunting experiences were hunting with JohninAB on this forum. He took me under his wing in 2005 and shed new light on hunting for me. Also taught me how to field dress / cape an animal better than i had taught myself. I was hunting well before 2005.... but i was very limited to areas i knew well close to home. Its always a gong show hunting with JohninAB... sometimes the jokes and laughing get in the way of the hunting. Eaaaaaaaasy big fellaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Best memory was when John was there when i put down Rueben... a big huge 8 point with a 25.5 inch inside spread. Never forget it. Just dont show up to hunt with johninAB with shoulder length field dressing gloves!!!! Lol

Hunted with many others....and they turned out great.

Best comedy memory... was when JohninAB, BBJ, and myself were in Johns truck... on a fresh slick oil road going to a different area that had a trench on the side.... it was greasy like holaaaaay. I seen grouse ...yelled "grouse" ....john turned to look.... off in the ditch we slid. The extreme angle...cauzed BBJ to fly across on top of John. Gear was everywhere.. it was priceless. We were so stuck .

GoneFishin'
02-11-2013, 09:05 AM
I'll more than likely be hunting solo this coming year as well...not because I want to, but because I no longer have my hunting and fishing buddy, my dad. He's still with us but unable to do things such as this anymore because of big health issues...

fzo
02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
i prefer go hunting with my partner

Mike_W
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
I am proud to say my entire hunting party does things by the book and only on land we have permission on .....surround yourself with like minded individuals and you won't be sucked into something you will regret!!

teledogs
02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Good for you for sticking to your 'guns'. I think there are lots of hunters out there with yours ( & mine ) standards. I believe great times can be had with the right partners just can be tough to find. Don't give up hope.

H380
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Good for you for sticking to your 'guns'. I think there are lots of hunters out there with yours ( & mine ) standards. I believe great times can be had with the right partners just can be tough to find. Don't give up hope.
Totally agree .
A few bad apples seem to mess up access and hunting for the rest of us . I've found my favorite hunting partners are the ones I raised , my kids all know what is expected of them and how things are done . I would mentor some one , but from past experience they always seem to end up in my favorite spots with someone else . From now on I stick with the home grown variety ..

Speckle55
02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
I can hunt either and all ways but if you put me on the hunt by myself i am deadly .. well in my mind;;;; :fighting0007:

enjoy the video watch 4 minutes:character0175:

David:)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Last+of+Mohicans&docid=4611112158626155&mid=CB1D76A47B58B5F8196ECB1D76A47B58B5F8196E&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

Pincherguy
02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I know where you are coming from, I have had many bad hunting partners in my time. When they don't turn out to be the ethical guy they professed to be
before the trip I turn it into a 2 trip experiance the first and the last. One year I had a guy fet into my truck with a loaded rifle. I stopped the truck, asked "is that gun loaded". Ticked of I told him get out and unload it. I was really ticked off because that is my number one rule and I had told him in no uncertain terms that this was not allowed. This same scenario happend 3 more times during the day. The last time it happend I told him to get out. He did and I drove away, I looked in the mirror and he was laughing like he thought I would stop. Wrong, I went home, had supper and went to bed. I never did have a converstaion with him after that, just dirty looks. If those looks could have killed I was a dead man. Good hunting partner is very hard to find. Set the ground rules before hand and you should have no problems.
PG

Vingiu
02-11-2013, 02:53 PM
I know where you are coming from, I have had many bad hunting partners in my time. When they don't turn out to be the ethical guy they professed to be
before the trip I turn it into a 2 trip experiance the first and the last. One year I had a guy fet into my truck with a loaded rifle. I stopped the truck, asked "is that gun loaded". Ticked of I told him get out and unload it. I was really ticked off because that is my number one rule and I had told him in no uncertain terms that this was not allowed. This same scenario happend 3 more times during the day. The last time it happend I told him to get out. He did and I drove away, I looked in the mirror and he was laughing like he thought I would stop. Wrong, I went home, had supper and went to bed. I never did have a converstaion with him after that, just dirty looks. If those looks could have killed I was a dead man. Good hunting partner is very hard to find. Set the ground rules before hand and you should have no problems.
PG

Haha, that's great! In all honesty, I actually did that once, and only once -- it was a dumb mistake, as it was my first trip and I was fired up... Caught myself after a few seconds, luckily. But man, did I ever feel like an idiot. Promised myself I'd never do anything like that again.

ali#1
02-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I am a ethical hunter interested in yotes have all the gear ad am looking for a partner, Edmonton area and il even drive.

Okotokian
02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I am a ethical hunter interested in yotes have all the gear ad am looking for a partner, Edmonton area and il even drive.

^ Future thread entry. :scared0018: LOL

TBark
02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Curious how far your break-up with your buddies has gone ?
Meaning some guys I know, I'll do a lot of other activities with, sports, have beers with them etc.
I just won't hunt with them.

TBark

ali#1
02-11-2013, 04:07 PM
^ Future thread entry. :scared0018: LOL

:fighting0030:

Vingiu
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Curious how far your break-up with your buddies has gone ?
Meaning some guys I know, I'll do a lot of other activities with, sports, have beers with them etc.
I just won't hunt with them.

TBark
I suppose I might see them around - I'll be severely limiting the nature of our friendship, however. I won't put myself in any situations that are likely to stir up any conflict - that's about as far as I'll take this issue. I was (and still am) thinking about being a cop - I've got no patience for hooligans, trespassers and thieves...

thumper
02-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Hooligans !!! - I hate those guys:scared0015:

But I did share your concern, and had to dump my long-time hunting partner because I could no longer 'look the other way'.
Find some new hunting partners - there's plenty out there looking for company that follow the rules.

JTRED
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
If I'm just going for a day trip I prefer to go solo. I head out every Saturday and Sunday for at least a few hours during the season so most of my hunting is solo. When I head out for a backpacking trip or an overnighter I like it if someone is there to share the experience. I am very picky about who I go with, my brother, my dad, one really good friend and his dad are the only ones.

a little redneck
02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I find hunting with a partner is better than solo unless you're hunting rabbits or gophers. It's usually safer in the winter with a couple of hunters and the work is split. I'd prefer partners for anything larger than deer.

Vingiu
02-11-2013, 10:29 PM
I find hunting with a partner is better than solo unless you're hunting rabbits or gophers. It's usually safer in the winter with a couple of hunters and the work is split. I'd prefer partners for anything larger than deer.

No doubt. That's a good point... I guess I better find a reliable big-game partner for next winter, especially since I hope to get a bear... Already have my spot picked out too, just need someone to share the meat with :)

thumper
02-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Actually, I find I am a better hunter when solo. No schedule as to when to be back at the truck, free to follow my 'gut' and see where it leads! But hunting's not always about that - sometimes it's about sharing the experience with others.

Moosetalker
02-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Option #2 adopt a kid/first time hunter and pass on your fine ethic's:sHa_shakeshout:

conan
02-12-2013, 05:05 AM
I have the best hunting partner around. Most of the time we think alike and it only took me 27 yrs to get him that way but well worth the investment.