PDA

View Full Version : new respect for whites

waterninja
02-11-2013, 05:46 AM
never understood why so many people posted about trying to catch whites. to me they always seemed like just another sucker fish (though there supposed to taste good). went out for the first time to gull lake today with fellow AO member who wanted to catch some whites. since there is also perch and pike i thought what the heck. i was surprized at the number of people on the lake and at the number of permanent fishing shacks. we tried a variety of locations from the northeast side to brownlows and after seeing how those whites dart in, reject your lure and then dart out got my blood pumping. i only managed some small perch but at least my buddy got 1 respectable white and lost a very big one that i have on video but can't be shown to due pg 18 rating. guess i'll have to add whitefish to my bucket list.

Zanzibar
02-11-2013, 07:53 AM
I love sight fishing for whites. I know what you mean about the PG18, the big ones seem to know how to shake that hook right near the hole.

Kim473
02-12-2013, 05:19 AM
And after that 5lb or bigger pike took my worm, That was worse than loosing the big white. Didn't see another white after that. Had the perfect hook, As soon as I droped it down. White after white after white. Gotta find me the same hook at the fishin store. Must have been something wrong with those minnows you had on your pike set up. Pike took the little wireworm over the smorgasborg meal you had for them, Ernist. I bet that white I lost was pushing the 5lb mark. Sure felt like it! Oh well, next time. Think i'm gonna start drilling double holes as I think I would have got its head turned up the hole and iced.

Cal
02-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Try catching a nice one on a flyrod, its rediculous how hard they will fight.

Dust1n
02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
They always seemed alot easier to catch when I was smaller. Fly rod whitefish fishing is awesome! Just about everyone on your 5wt will go into your backing it should be on everyones bucketlist not only to catch but to catch one on fly gear