PDA

View Full Version : Garbage on Cold Lake

overparr
02-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately along with the great Lake Trout fishing comes unwanted Garbage left on this Beautiful Lake. This past weekend my fishing partner & I spent some of our fishing time picking up someone else's garbage. Pop cans, liquor bottles, garbage bags etc. Can you be charged for littering on our lakes??

WildCats
02-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Sure can

YeeHaw
02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
damn rights you can, I just wish more people would learn to pick up after themselves and learn to respect our waterways and lakes more than they do.

Kokanee9
02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Littering is just that, no matter where it occurs.

Thanks for picking up.

GoneFishin'
02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Littering is just that, no matter where it occurs.

Thanks for picking up.

I have done this myself a few times on the lake I fish here in Saskatchewan. Some people seem to lack the respect for the environment but would be the first to lodge a complaint about something too.

Rabdo
02-11-2013, 03:26 PM
thanks for picking up

EZM
02-11-2013, 03:35 PM
In some jurisdictions litter bugs are shot on site. For some reason those lakes stay clean .......

NEWB
02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
damn rights you can, I just wish more people would learn to pick up after themselves and learn to respect our waterways and lakes more than they do.

This!

Primarily I stopped going to Hermitage pond in the summer as it was starting to resemble a land fill. It is disheartening when you can fill a plastic shopping bag full of trash on my way back to my vehicle every time I visit it.

Ken07AOVette
02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I want to insert empty liquor bottles in the users sideways at all times on the lakes, hate dkheads that can't do anything without drinking.

Someone not worried about drinking on a lake generally doesn't worry about littering. No shock there.

Good on you for picking it up. My luck would be getting caught with empties and getting fined.

splake0
02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
You can't get fined for having "empty" liquor bottles in your possession.

kevinhits
02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I like to have a couple of beer on the lake but I am responsible...Always leave the place as I left it and pick up any garbage left by other idiots on my way out

tight line
02-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Havent seen any, but we stay away from the crowds, with that many people, im sure there is lots. Dont get how people can pack All of thier gear up and leave garbage... My back pack is a trashcan, but all i leave is holes in the ice...

Ken07AOVette
02-11-2013, 08:39 PM
You can't get fined for having "empty" liquor bottles in your possession.

True, but eyebrows go higher if you have any bottles compared to none.

psavard1@telus.net
02-11-2013, 08:53 PM
young group from grande prairie brought out wood pallets then tried lighting with oil or some type of fuel. told them it was not a good idea, they just had a stupid look on them.

Red Neck
02-12-2013, 10:21 AM
We have been picking up after trashy anglers for years. I am glad to see so many posts as we have hit a nerv for many of us. I can generally fill a small shopping bag with garbage on any lake at any given time and that is very disappointing. But its even worse in the summer? I can pick garbage all day long at any of the spots along the N. Sascatchewan river in the summer. I have had confrontations with folks who just drop and chuck there waste into the bush or worse into the river:angry3:
Violance will solve nothing? but it makes me feel better :fighting0074:
To all of you out ther picking up after these #@%&holes keep up the good work no one else seems to care about out water :(

Tight Lines to you all:sHa_shakeshout:

Red Neck Out :scared0018:

02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
I cant stand when people leave the trash on lakes drives my stupid , i make sure everytime i go i clean everything even small little clear pieces of plastic that are hard to see lol , only thing i will leave it bait pieces

retten
02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Three years ago fishing the slave river, had a great day fishing me and a buddy spent about an hour picking up the waste(line, minnow tubs, cans etc) along this river we filled two glad garbage bags.

CFS- can't fix stupid

These people probably crap in their own beds.

I have had a couple situations where I have spoke up, they always get angry but the embarrassment wins out and things get cleaned up.

:angry3:

davebuck
02-12-2013, 03:24 PM
A couple years ago a hunting buddy of mine wrote down a license plate of some hunters that left a pile of trash when they left camp. He boxed it up called a RCMP buddy of his got the address sent it back to them , i can't believe they never came back the next hunting season .

Great job picking up the trash i brought home a few bags myself

ELECTRIC FISHER
02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
In the summer I had the pleasure of fishing the NSR just off the Whitemud near Fox drive (Sorry still new to the city).
I spent maybe an hour before and after I fished to clean-up line left over and garbage littering the edge of the river.
while I was fishing a duck with little ducklings comes right up close to me on the bank, I noticed that the mother was having trouble walking as one of her legs were tangled in line from the little creek outlet they came out of.
It took me probably 20 minutes to run her down and get that line off.

Make me sad for our later generations and everything they will have to clean up and deal with.

schmedlap
02-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I taught my sons, from day one, when they were tiny, not only to never leave any of our litter in any "wild place" (let alone the City), whether it was a provincial park, or out in the bush somewhere, and to pick up and remove (or just burn?) the leavings of the previous occupants. This is not a new phenomenon, unfortunately - I have seen it constantly for 40 years. It never ceases to amaze me how little appreciation many people have for the very places that they are privileged to enjoy for the freedom from such trash, among other things. I have seen incredible messes in places that were very hard to get to, and it is always revolting to realize the ignorance of the "adventurers" involved. It seems like a lot of public education hasn't had much positive effect (?). So, I'd like to pose the question of how do we alleviate this behaviour? Harsh penalties are, it seems, unlikely to work, as effective enforcement is just not going to happen (?). So, maybe, how does one effectively "shame" these offenders into reforming their stupidity?

coppercarbide
02-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Glad to see some conscientious outdoorsmen in here. I go out to North Buck in the summertime, and without fail I find a spot where someone has broken glass bottles, thrown stuff into the fire that doesn't burn (chairs, tires, cans, all kinds of stuff).
Can't remember the last time I've come back from that place without at least 2 bags of garbage that I didn't take in.

I just really don't understand how people obviously WANT to spend time in the great outdoors (after all, they are out camping), but still don't give a flying you-know-what about keeping it in good shape. For the life of me, I don't understand the thought process.

I 100% agree with schmedlap, start them young. Every trip to the playground with my 2 year old last summer included (carefully) cleaning up a couple bits of garbage (slurpee cups usually, other misc garbage), cleaning hands, and only then she gets to play. By the end of the summer, she couldn't stand to see garbage laying around ANYWHERE. (ended up with a lot of household items in the trash can at home before she really got a handle on what 'garbage' was, haha)

Anyway, keep up the good fight guys. Whenever you see a pile of @#%$# in the bush... think of what action will make your kids life better!

browning375
02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I will be out there tomorrow, i'll keep an eye out for garbage.

Denny Boy
02-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Those people should not be allowed to fish