PDA

View Full Version : Professional Installer - Head Units and Trolling Motors

EZM
02-11-2013, 06:12 PM
I am looking at installing;

3 Head units (GPS/Sonars to be networked)
2 ram mounts at helm
1 ram mount at bow
1 Transducer (SI soap bar type)
1 Transducer plate on transom
1 Ethernet port (5 port hub requires dedicated power)
1 Minn Kota Terrova i-pilot link motor - bow mount (to Ethernet and head unit and 24v connection)
1 Quick disconnect locking trolling motor bracket

I understand many dealers will be able to do this work ............. but who is really good at it in the Edmonton area.

When I talk to many of the dealers installers, they look at me like I'm speaking french. That does not make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I have a wiring schematic and list of cables, adapters, parts and part numbers for all of the connections to be made.

I am open to supply all the stuff and pay for install - or I am willing to buy from the installer/dealer hoping to get a bit of a deal.

Package is around $5,500 worth of stuff - so a crappy install job from someone who has not set up systems before makes me nervous.

I am looking for clean, neat and professional results.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Walleye101
02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Call Rainbow Marine in Edmonton. They have all the wiring diagrams for everything. And do a very nice job.

Walleyedude
02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
My suggestion is to do it yourself and save the cash.

No one will be more careful with your stuff than you will, and most importantly, no one knows better exactly how you want things laid out than you do.

None of that stuff is difficult to install, it's actually really quite simple. It can be painstaking and a bit of a pain in the butt at times, but I'm sure you can do it. Set aside a day or two, grab a fishin buddy and a couple cold beverages, and enjoy the time you'll spend rigging your boat the way YOU want it. It's the best way to get to know exactly how everything is laid out and how it works.

Jamie Black R/T
02-12-2013, 10:53 AM
My suggestion is to do it yourself and save the cash.

No one will be more careful with your stuff than you will, and most importantly, no one knows better exactly how you want things laid out than you do.

x2

none of this stuff is overly hard to do and humminbird/minn kota tech support is awesome to help over the phone.

huntsfurfish
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
EZM, if I was closer, I would give you a hand.
But if you have any questions, send pm.

EZM
02-13-2013, 05:51 PM
I might end up just bringing it into my workplace (indoor shop) on a Saturday and getting it done myself.

Appreciate the offer huntsfurfish - the only thing I would be new at doing is;

a) finding where to snake the transducer wire, power, ground wires and Ethernet cords through (which shouldn't be tough).

b) figuring out if I need four sets of power and ground wires for the 3 head units (2 at helm and one up front) and the Ethernet port under the dash. I am an electrical idiot and have zero experience in this area. The part about connecting it all up to power is where I have zero idea on how to do it.

TrophyPikeHunter
02-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Set aside a day or two, grab a fishin buddy and a couple cold beverages, and enjoy the time you'll spend rigging your boat the way YOU want it. It's the best way to get to know exactly how everything is laid out and how it works.

Hmmmmm....I wonder if you have a fishin' buddy who could be talked into helping you out in exchange for a cold beverage....hmmmm.... I wonder...:happy0180:

huntsfurfish
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM
The worst part for me was pulling wire to all the different points.

That said I pulled 2 or 3 extra sets on each group.

Dont use 18 gauge wire use 16. I ran 18 and rerun with 16 gauge.

Ideally run your wireing directly to your batteries(preferably a dedicated battery just for electronics).

Do not use your trolling motor batteries for your network or finders.

I color coded in pairs (wrapped yellow, red, green, and white tape) wrap yellow tape around a red and black wire, red tape around red and black wire and so on. Tape both ends so you dont have to guess. Hook them to fish tape and pull through.

On my boat I can have 3 finders at the front 4 on the consul area, and three at the stern. They can be moved as needed all are Ram mounts. I also have NMEA 2000 routed throughout the boat. I will try and post some pics and diagrams if I can find them.

Good luck with your project. If you do it yourself you will know where everything is too.

Gotta get a bite to eat now but will post more later.

EZM
02-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Hmmmmm....I wonder if you have a fishin' buddy who could be talked into helping you out in exchange for a cold beverage....hmmmm.... I wonder...:happy0180:

You know we are not allowed "beverages" in the shop ........... oh yeah ....... Saturday ............ no rules on Saturday right? lol.

EZM
02-13-2013, 07:18 PM
The worst part for me was pulling wire to all the different points.

That said I pulled 2 or 3 extra sets on each group.

Dont use 18 gauge wire use 16. I ran 18 and rerun with 16 gauge.

Ideally run your wireing directly to your batteries(preferably a dedicated battery just for electronics).

Do not use your trolling motor batteries for your network or finders.

I color coded in pairs (wrapped yellow, red, green, and white tape) wrap yellow tape around a red and black wire, red tape around red and black wire and so on. Tape both ends so you dont have to guess. Hook them to fish tape and pull through.

On my boat I can have 3 finders at the front 4 on the consul area, and three at the stern. They can be moved as needed all are Ram mounts. I also have NMEA 2000 routed throughout the boat. I will try and post some pics and diagrams if I can find them.

Good luck with your project. If you do it yourself you will know where everything is too.

Gotta get a bite to eat now but will post more later.

Pictures and Ideas .... That would very helpful. Thanks.

I'm also doing ram mounts at helm but haven'y thought of a good place for the third unit in the bow.

The Lund has an "automotive style" fuse box and wiring harness - so it might be easy if there is enough power up there. Not sure if there will enough "juice" but again, I don't know $#!t about electical.

The bow will be 24v so there is no power option from there ..... lest I burn my electronics out.

It will need to run it all either to the panel or back to/from the 12v cranking battery under the rear side seat at the transom (same side as helm).

Pictures and advice would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.