PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to Thailand??

zewks
02-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Hello all! I recently booked a month long holiday to Thailand with the lady :sHa_shakeshout:
I am looking for some advice for fishing guides in both freshwater and saltwater. Any good experiences? Recommendations in general for what to do in Thailand? So far I have decided Koh Tao is a must for some good diving other then that our month is open.

Thanks for any input!

Okotokian
02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Recommendations in general for what to do in Thailand?

IBTL :scared0018:

Seriously, Crystal Dive Resort in Koh Tao. Son said instructors were great, but don't buy the video as it's not NTSC format. $600 three days instruction and diving including 3 nights accomodation in their bungalos.

And depending on your age and partying stamina, try the monthly "full moon party" on Koh Phangan.

Deano85
02-12-2013, 03:19 PM
http://www.fishsiam.com/venues/it-lake-monsters-8.html

ice
02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Be careful on Thailand. It's the most dangerous country for tourists to go to, they aren't foreigner friendly.

NUK SOO KOW
02-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Be careful on Thailand. It's the most dangerous country for tourists to go to, they aren't foreigner friendly.

I have been twice, and dying to go back! I've been many places in the world, it was by far my favorite and fell in love with the place! Never had any problems, just stay out of the shaady areas and you should be fine. The food, people, scenery and adventure was amazing! Pm if you've any questions! They do like tourists as its a big part of their economy.

HunterDave
02-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I've been to Thailand several times. Tons of things to see and do in Bangkok. Get a sight seeing map, hire a tuk tuk driver for the day ($5?) and scoot around checking out the Wats, Royal Palace, etc. Shop in the tourist market. The floating market by boat with a stop at the zoo to watch the snake show is a must do. Their national sport is kickboxing so head to one of the arenas to watch some fights one night....they're awesome!

Everyone tries to hustle you and everything is dirt cheap. We had an english speaking taxi driver approach us at the hotel wanting to take us on a tour of the city. After checking him out with the hotel manager we paid him $20 to take us to a higher end place to shop for gems and souveniers, a traditional Thai diner show, kickboxing and a couple of shows/places that single soldiers on leave would enjoy. :)

I spent a bit of time on the coast down in Pattaya as well. Very touristy and lots of partying. A fella that owned a small bar owned a boat so we hired him to take us out for a day. We were lucky enough to catch ourselves a huge blue marlin. The owner hung it in front of his bar and charged people $5 to take their picture with it.....lol!

BeeGuy
02-12-2013, 08:22 PM

you have clearly never been there

tmaxx
02-13-2013, 02:05 AM
I go to thailand every other month for work never had a problem. Its cheap. You can get a nice meal anywhere dirt cheap.

NUK SOO KOW
02-13-2013, 02:07 AM
I go to thailand every other month for work never had a problem. Its cheap. You can get a nice meal anywhere dirt cheap.

Where do you work and are they hiring!

tmaxx
02-13-2013, 02:10 AM
Gulf of thailand

NUK SOO KOW
02-13-2013, 03:01 AM
http://www.fly-fishing-in-thailand.com/

Will be trying these guys on my next trip for sure! Khao Sok national park was amazing!! Did a hike through the jungle to a cave where all the bats go in the day, seen a cobra on the trail, even the guide said that was rare! Tubed down a jungle river with monkeys following us in the trees right above us, rope swing on the river with a bunch of Thai kids in a little village, stayed on little floating huts on the water and in huts up on stilts in the jungle. Funny how it so quiet during the day, the jungle does come alive at night!! I've gone on many adventures but this one is one I think about nearly everyday!! Keep in mind Thailand is a third world country, and you may see some things you don't like. For example in Bangkok there was a guy with one arm and no legs on the entrance to the mall, begging for moneyed 32 degree heat in the sun . We seen a guy in nice clothes pick him up, put him in a wagon and wheel him to another entrance. Seen kids with one eye and deformed running around at 2am begging for money. It may be a bit of culture shock in some places, depending how far off the beaten path you get. I lived with the Thais at a boxing camp for a month, slept, ate, and trained the way they did. We had a small cobra come onto the ring when we were hitting pads, they killed it with a shovel, was pretty crazy. 4 people riding on a moped, all that stuff. There are some scammers there, just be careful. Check out Thailand scams on YouTube, give you an idea. Jet ski scams are a big one. Cabs, make sure they use the meter, as some will just want to charge you a fare, which will cost much more than if they use the meter. We just always gave the driver a good tip. Be generous with tips there, our dollars are way highs anyway. Tuk tuk drivers sometimes try to talk you into going to tailors and other stops, as the businesses give them money for bringing tourists. We just say no stops and will give a good tip at the end. They were happy with that. You can barter nearly everywhere, we even had two restaurants fighting over our group of twelve people! Was hilarious! The people are great and very friendly. I was walking back from the beach and some guy was watching Thai boxing on his little tv. He seen me glance at the screen, invited me in his house to watch. I watched two fights, ran to the store for a six pack went back and watch the rest. He didn't speak a word of English, but liked beer and boxing. We had a great time and he always waved and said hello when I seem him around after. Thailand is amazing, you will have a lot of fun. Not trying to scare you with scams and such , just be aware is all. That stuff happens all over the world, Canada to. I never once had a problem there, have heard stories but those people were always drunk, late at night in the party places. Drink bottled water, DON'T lay on your bed directly after coming from the beach. Sand fleas will infest your bed and bite you all over all night long and the bites start like little pimples that turn into blisters that soon grow in very large blisters! Shower before sitting on furniture or bed. Happened to several people in our groups both times. Defiantly watch some Thai boxing and try some Thai pancakes!! Went fishing off koh samui caught a panfish trolling, and lots of little fish bait fishing off the side. Every time you pulled up the hook a different species was on it. The guide would cut up squid, give us some for bait them cook some up as well. Beer and calamari!! Was cut short as a big storm rolled in quick. We were in a small boat with very large swells. Was crazy! Guide couldn't swim(go figure) he was tripping out more than any of us! Chech out croc farms, snake shows, all fun. You will never run out of stuff to do. All excursions were safe and well put together, the gun range was the only one the Thais said don't go to. Sang som rum and meh kong whiskey! Man I want to go back!!! Have fun! Went to the island where they filmed" the beach". Beautiful! Trained Muay Thai in the jungle, felt like I was in the kickboxer movie. Palaces and temples were nice, but seen one see me all kinda thing. Hope I didn't bore ya, just made me remember my trips there! Have fun!

Wild&Free
02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
http://www.fly-fishing-in-thailand.com/

Will be trying these guys on my next trip for sure! Khao Sok national park was amazing!! Did a hike through the jungle to a cave where all the bats go in the day, seen a cobra on the trail, even the guide said that was rare! Tubed down a jungle river with monkeys following us in the trees right above us, rope swing on the river with a bunch of Thai kids in a little village, stayed on little floating huts on the water and in huts up on stilts in the jungle. Funny how it so quiet during the day, the jungle does come alive at night!! I've gone on many adventures but this one is one I think about nearly everyday!! Keep in mind Thailand is a third world country, and you may see some things you don't like. For example in Bangkok there was a guy with one arm and no legs on the entrance to the mall, begging for moneyed 32 degree heat in the sun . We seen a guy in nice clothes pick him up, put him in a wagon and wheel him to another entrance. Seen kids with one eye and deformed running around at 2am begging for money. It may be a bit of culture shock in some places, depending how far off the beaten path you get. I lived with the Thais at a boxing camp for a month, slept, ate, and trained the way they did. We had a small cobra come onto the ring when we were hitting pads, they killed it with a shovel, was pretty crazy. 4 people riding on a moped, all that stuff. There are some scammers there, just be careful. Check out Thailand scams on YouTube, give you an idea. Jet ski scams are a big one. Cabs, make sure they use the meter, as some will just want to charge you a fare, which will cost much more than if they use the meter. We just always gave the driver a good tip. Be generous with tips there, our dollars are way highs anyway. Tuk tuk drivers sometimes try to talk you into going to tailors and other stops, as the businesses give them money for bringing tourists. We just say no stops and will give a good tip at the end. They were happy with that. You can barter nearly everywhere, we even had two restaurants fighting over our group of twelve people! Was hilarious! The people are great and very friendly. I was walking back from the beach and some guy was watching Thai boxing on his little tv. He seen me glance at the screen, invited me in his house to watch. I watched two fights, ran to the store for a six pack went back and watch the rest. He didn't speak a word of English, but liked beer and boxing. We had a great time and he always waved and said hello when I seem him around after. Thailand is amazing, you will have a lot of fun. Not trying to scare you with scams and such , just be aware is all. That stuff happens all over the world, Canada to. I never once had a problem there, have heard stories but those people were always drunk, late at night in the party places. Drink bottled water, DON'T lay on your bed directly after coming from the beach. Sand fleas will infest your bed and bite you all over all night long and the bites start like little pimples that turn into blisters that soon grow in very large blisters! Shower before sitting on furniture or bed. Happened to several people in our groups both times. Defiantly watch some Thai boxing and try some Thai pancakes!! Went fishing off koh samui caught a panfish trolling, and lots of little fish bait fishing off the side. Every time you pulled up the hook a different species was on it. The guide would cut up squid, give us some for bait them cook some up as well. Beer and calamari!! Was cut short as a big storm rolled in quick. We were in a small boat with very large swells. Was crazy! Guide couldn't swim(go figure) he was tripping out more than any of us! Chech out croc farms, snake shows, all fun. You will never run out of stuff to do. All excursions were safe and well put together, the gun range was the only one the Thais said don't go to. Sang som rum and meh kong whiskey! Man I want to go back!!! Have fun! Went to the island where they filmed" the beach". Beautiful! Trained Muay Thai in the jungle, felt like I was in the kickboxer movie. Palaces and temples were nice, but seen one see me all kinda thing. Hope I didn't bore ya, just made me remember my trips there! Have fun!

You made me want to put in for a leave of absence from work now.

Okotokian
02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Check out Thailand scams on YouTube, give you an idea. Jet ski scams are a big one.

My son's buddy rented a jetski. When he brought it back they said it was damaged and wanted something like $500. Owner came with a bunch of very scary looking accomplices, so the kid just paid it to get away. I wouldn't rent anything there.

LCCFisherman
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Coral Grande out of Koh Tao is where I took my course. The diving package comes with accomadations. Very nice place. Gear was great.

0liver
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Something like 50 heavily armed fighters stormed a military base in southern Thailand this week. At least 16 of the attackers were killed and the conflict in southern Thailand has killed more then 5,200 people including civilians since 2004...

I think I'd rather go to Cuba or something a little less shady. The night life in Bangkok is pretty sketchy too, sure if you do the tourist thing and stay on the bus you will be fine but whats the fun in that? My friend from work went to Havana, Cuba and had a wonderful time, ran away from there tour guide and had a blast exploring the markets and culture. In Thailand you would probably get kidnapped. Or worse. [depending on where you are]

my 2 cents.
Oliver

BeeGuy
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Fishing is Thailand can be hit and miss. There is an enormous number of commercial trawlers. On the Andaman side there are many pirate trawlers raping the reefs for what is little more than protein/chicken feed at market.

That said, not all of the reefs are dead and bleached. You can hire Thai longboats for day long fishin excursions for peanuts. Just go looking around town at first light. Negotiate and haggle. Prices are always very flexible during the off season or in smaller communities.

We often just took some basic gear we had and headed to the marina in the morning to start haggling with whoever had the nicest boat.

We have paid $8 per person/day with a packed lunch and our catch prepared for dinner. Beers and tip extra.

We have paid as little as $18/day for a small boat with a driver and his buddy.

For big game inshore I found few guides that would target anything other than barracuda.

Things to look out for: always make sure you have tons of water. Environmental laws are not what they are here. You will find guides who think nothing of dragging their anchor across the reef. Be alert for this type of crap.

Like anything, you get what you pay for. We never headed far off shore and often were just hand lining. Most guides had cheap/old heavy setups they used to troll for cuda.

BeeGuy
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Something like 50 heavily armed fighters stormed a military base in southern Thailand this week. At least 16 of the attackers were killed and the conflict in southern Thailand has killed more then 5,200 people including civilians since 2004...

my 2 cents.
Oliver

How many of them were tourists?

Thailand gets 10's of millions of tourists a year. It is as safe as could be expected.