PDA

View Full Version : Wd40

dougc75
02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Saw a blurb on facebook today regarding WD40 the main ingredient being fish oil.
They also said spraying your bait and hooks would attack fish.

Has one tried this?

EZM
02-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Saw a blurb on facebook today regarding WD40 the main ingredient being fish oil.

Has one tried this?

I'm not sure, but that sounds like it might contain some products that might be bad for the watershed.

Having said that, as a kid, we were in a tinner that had some oil and WD 40 on the floor because of some repairs made to the outboard and poor job of cleaning up.

We discovered that spoons that were bouncing around in the slop outfished the ones that were clean.

As kids, guess what we used to make our spoons and jigs work better .......

yulful
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
This is from WD-40's Wedsite

What a Fish story!
Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
Fact:
Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

dougc75
02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the info.

pike_king780
02-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Never used it as an attractant but i do use it on my winter rods and reels as it helps displace water and extends the time before line ices up.

pikergolf
02-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Is this what you want to introduce into waterways.
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/wd-40aer63152748.pdf

Warmbreeze
02-13-2013, 04:00 PM
I have heard the original formula for wd40 had the fish oils and worked. But at one point they changed formula to not include it. Heard many stories about back in the day how well it worked.

I know you can buy attractants but I wonder if you could buy some sort of fish oil extract as oil based would stay on longer.

crf250xtom
02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Yes it does work i seen a friend use it surprisingly It works quite use it on a slow day

crf250xtom
02-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Also not sure if it's legal or not

Dale S
02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
The local Wallmart has a WD40 display set up in the fishing section. With a sign saying,Find one more use for WD40.

pike_king780
02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
The local Wallmart has a WD40 display set up in the fishing section. With a sign saying,Find one more use for WD40.

Lol well, with Wd40 and duct tape, what else do you really need?! :bad_boys_20:

tight line
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
It doesn't matter what its made of, do you see the poison sign on it? Its pretty obvious that it is hamfull to anything living!!! Give your head a shake!

pikergolf
02-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Also not sure if it's legal or not

It's not legal, you could be fined for polluting a water way.

Alberta Bigbore
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Never used it for fishing... never will.. and would never advise anyone to do so.

Lefty-Canuck
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM

....video camera, hookers and blow? :).......jk.

LC :)

0liver
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Yeah please do not go putting WD40 into our water... is it really that hard to figure out?

338Bluff
02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
I was on a guided trip for Catfish about 10 years ago and our guide actually sprayed down chunks of goldeye or sucker with WD40. We caught fish, but didn't try any without. I seriously doubt that it would have made a difference but we humored him.

kenh
02-13-2013, 06:37 PM
I was on a guided trip for Catfish about 10 years ago and our guide actually sprayed down chunks of goldeye or sucker with WD40. We caught fish, but didn't try any without. I seriously doubt that it would have made a difference but we humored him.

I have seen some guides on the west coast use it also

bubba 96
02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
A dukabor buddy said his dad used to soak chickens in Wet Dick, to sturgeon fish in the columbia river (castlegar) in the 70's...said it worked like a charm....

Paul C
02-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah please do not go putting WD40 into our water... is it really that hard to figure out?
X2 Why would you want to put oil in the water that has been well published that we need to protect our environment.

They also said spraying your bait and hooks would attack fish.:thinking-006:

Has one tried this?
Why would you even ask about this ? What is there to be gained ??
Read the msds sheet and tell me if you would ingest any of those hydrocarbons:thinking-006:

crf250xtom
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
X2 Why would you want to put oil in the water that has been well published that we need to protect our environment.

They also said spraying your bait and hooks would attack fish.:thinking-006:

Has one tried this?
Why would you even ask about this ? What is there to be gained ??
Read the msds sheet and tell me if you would ingest any of those hydrocarbons:thinking-006:

Catch and release.......
I've seen people use some impress techniques lol.

BeeGuy
02-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Has one tried this?

Charlie White's Fishing Machine had an episode where they tested the effectiveness of wd-40, motor oil etc while trolling for salmon.

Fish can smell oils/fats, amino acids and proteins very well.

Just use a natural fishy scent for the same effect.

B-rett
02-13-2013, 11:10 PM

If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape.
If it should move and it doesn't, wd40.

Brent_reid
02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Better than the other way around Bubba that would be pretty fowl hahaha

Bigfishhunter
02-14-2013, 12:07 AM
A drop of wd40 is not going to do anything to the water. Outboard motors should be banned if your concerned about the environment.

pike_king780
02-14-2013, 05:26 AM
....video camera, hookers and blow? :).......jk.

LC :)

:sHa_shakeshout: sounds like a great time! lol :P

If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape.
If it should move and it doesn't, wd40.

EXACTLY!! haha:happy0180:

pike_king780
02-14-2013, 05:28 AM
A drop of wd40 is not going to do anything to the water. Outboard motors should be banned if your concerned about the environment.

have to agree with you here..i understand keeping the environement and our waters as clean as possible, but at what point do you turn from an outdoorsmen to a green peace hippy?!

trainerdave
02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Try Pam instead. Same greasy lure without the hassle. Comes in a couple of flavors too...

Denny Boy
02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Just thing what your doing to the enviroment all in the name of catching fish?
The company that makes this product does not recomend using their product as a means to attract fish

pike_king780
02-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Just thing what your doing to the enviroment all in the name of catching fish?
The company that makes this product does not recomend using their product as a means to attract fish

pretty sure the 2 squirts I throw on the guides of my winter rod wont do a damn thing. similar comparison wise, to a grain of sand on the beach. as said earlier, if your worried about 2 small squirts in comparison to the dozens of outboards in lakes and river, than i think you should reevaluate your opinion on whats doing damage to the environment..

pikergolf
02-14-2013, 04:20 PM
pretty sure the 2 squirts I throw on the guides of my winter rod wont do a damn thing. similar comparison wise, to a grain of sand on the beach. as said earlier, if your worried about 2 small squirts in comparison to the dozens of outboards in lakes and river, than i think you should reevaluate your opinion on whats doing damage to the environment..

Every little bit helps. :) Lots of people start doing it and I have no doubt all those little grains of sand add up. :) Of course you will find people that hate being told what to do and will carry on out of spite, but I doubt any fishermen would fall in that category as we all do what we can to keep our waters safe. :) Especially in a province where we are so water challenged already.

Paul C
02-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Every little bit helps. :) Lots of people start doing it and I have no doubt all those little grains of sand add up. :) Of course you will find people that hate being told what to do and will carry on out of spite, but I doubt any fishermen would fall in that category as we all do what we can to keep our waters safe. :) Especially in a province where we are so water challenged already.
X2 Well said

Boogerfart
02-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Has anyone tried just dunking there hooks in cod liver oil or other fish oils?
It's no secret that fish have a great sense of smell.

ruger300
02-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Really guys, what about y'all driving on the ice with motor oil leaks coming from the engine, transmission, differential, etc. Think about that. You all must use non-petroleum grease in your boat trailer axles too that we all back into the water. Throwing stones...

ruger300

icefever
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
As the little mouse said as he ****ed into the ocean "every little bit helps"