PDA

View Full Version : Newell Lake setting derby trends

rafhone
02-13-2013, 09:19 PM
What do the people in this forum think of the Newell ice fishing derby being on a bait ban? The Newell derby sets trends for other lakes since its so large, and thus I think it should be more talked about. On open water sure where you can cast, but its a different story ice fishing where only verticle action can happen.

Anywho, what do you think?

... if this thread gets many replies its gunna get ugly I'm sure.

pencapchew
02-13-2013, 09:22 PM
I just don't see it working... How are they really going to enforce it.

bubba 96
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
What do the people in this forum think of the Newell ice fishing derby being on a bait ban? The Newell derby sets trends for other lakes since its so large, and thus I think it should be more talked about. On open water sure where you can cast, but its a different story ice fishing where only verticle action can happen.

Anywho, what do you think?

... if this thread gets many replies its gunna get ugly I'm sure.

Fish lower k all the time bait ban there, it's just gonna make ya a better fisherman, and try a whole bunch of diffrent things, just gotta think outside the box....jiggin spoons rattling raps bucktails.....choose ur weapon.....a tourney shouldn't be like shooting fish in a barrel....

pikergolf
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
No bait, 36" min. and barbless. Sounds like they're trying to make sure C&R works well.
I guess we'll find out who can fish and who can't. LOL
:)

WayneChristie
02-13-2013, 09:26 PM
exactly, not going to be able to enforce it. cant see it lasting long with this rule, cant see many quality size fish getting caught with just lures either. I know myself for one wont be spending 40 bucks this year, too bad, it was a good fundraiser.

bubba 96
02-13-2013, 09:27 PM
I just don't see it working... How are they really going to inforce it.

Think they will have random checks, and if ya got bait, instant discalifacation...

pikergolf
02-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Who would be low enough to cheat at a fishing derby? If anyone's caught post up names.

trophyboy
02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Another stupid rule that is unenforcable and will probably end that derby. Too bad we have rules on top of rules on top of rules for absolutely everything. All it does is discourage people from participating in these types of events.

WayneChristie
02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Who would be low enough to cheat at a fishing derby? If anyone's caught post up names.

really? how are they going to get caught, 2 guys in the tent, one with a ticket, one without, guy with no ticket using bait, catches a 30 pounder, who'se going to know when the guy with the ticket weighs it in? even if the winner is innocent of cheating, how many people are going to be convinced in their minds that he did cheat? more than one I bet. just my opinion, but I believe they signed the death warrant for ice fishing derbies with that rule

New Hunter Okotoks
02-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I just spoke with a gentleman from Sparwood a few days ago. He told me that his group made up of 38 men will not be going this year due to the new rules. He figured that he spent roughly $400 in town just on his own over the derby and that it was likely a good average that each member would spend.

A lot of Derby fishing is made up of guys getting away for the weekend and socializing. Now each guy is basically just going to be jigging with 1 rod all day, all weekend. Not too many big pike are going to hit a stationary lure sitting in the water on a second rod.

I think that there will either be a lot of tickets available and some rule bending going on.

What works for rainbow trout in K-Country does not necessarily work for large Northerns. I don't think too many rainbows would take a 12 inch Mackerel if people were suddenly allowed to fish with them in Kananaskis.

rafhone
02-13-2013, 09:40 PM
exactly, not going to be able to enforce it. cant see it lasting long with this rule, cant see many quality size fish getting caught with just lures either. I know myself for one wont be spending 40 bucks this year, too bad, it was a good fundraiser.

my sentiments too, plan to skip the derby and enjoy the people. It's expensive for me to have an fishing outing (2-3 days), and i'd rather have a good time with fish and people. looking forward to crawling valley 2-3rd

pikergolf
02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
really? how are they going to get caught, 2 guys in the tent, one with a ticket, one without, guy with no ticket using bait, catches a 30 pounder, who'se going to know when the guy with the ticket weighs it in? even if the winner is innocent of cheating, how many people are going to be convinced in their minds that he did cheat? more than one I bet. just my opinion, but I believe they signed the death warrant for ice fishing derbies with that rule

Maybe the prize money is to high? Still have a hard time wraping my mind around cheating at a derby. Thought this was supposed to be all in good fun.

Mutter87
02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Live target makes a lure looks exactly like a Herring, just use that.

WayneChristie
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Maybe the prize money is to high? Still have a hard time wraping my mind around cheating at a derby. Thought this was supposed to be all in good fun.

been cheating going on at Newell for years, wont post the details, but yes it has. amazing how people will cheat for a 200 dollar prize. and some of the most vocal do-gooders cheating themselves, when peoples backs are turned.

bubba 96
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
I just spoke with a gentleman from Sparwood a few days ago. He told me that his group made up of 38 men will not be going this year due to the new rules. He figured that he spent roughly $400 in town just on his own over the derby and that it was likely a good average that each member would spend.

A lot of Derby fishing is made up of guys getting away for the weekend and socializing. Now each guy is basically just going to be jigging with 1 rod all day, all weekend. Not too many big pike are going to hit a stationary lure sitting in the water on a second rod.

I think that there will either be a lot of tickets available and some rule bending going on.

What works for rainbow trout in K-Country does not necessarily work for large Northerns. I don't think too many rainbows would take a 12 inch Mackerel if people were suddenly allowed to fish with them in Kananaskis.

Really gentlemen in sparwood lol, I kid of course that where I grew up say hi to Clayton for me lol....

rafhone
02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
been cheating going on at Newell for years, wont post the details, but yes it has. amazing how people will cheat for a 200 dollar prize. and some of the most vocal do-gooders cheating themselves, when peoples backs are turned.

i've heard these stories

Mutter87
02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
What is the purpose of the bait ban? Mortality rates or something else?

New Hunter Okotoks
02-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Really gentlemen in sparwood lol, I kid of course that where I grew up say hi to Clayton for me lol....

I met them at Keho.

I think that I meet people from Sparwood fishing Keho everytime I am there.

bubba 96
02-13-2013, 09:54 PM
I met them at Keho.

I think that I meet people from Sparwood fishing Keho everytime I am there.

That's funny I meet a couple of guys there from sparhole at keho last time there, we had good day fishin with them, caught up on a lot of info/gossip from the ole hometown..

rafhone
02-13-2013, 09:56 PM
What is the purpose of the bait ban? Mortality rates or something else?

thats the idea as far as I can see.

cujo1969
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Might as well start a thread now. Winner of Newell derby suspected of cheating because others couldnt catch fish

rafhone
02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
sounds legit, the winner is a CHEATER!!!!!!

jrs
02-13-2013, 10:01 PM

Give it a few years, people will figure out how to catch the big ones. May be a few drop outs but like with changes in any competition people will adapt. Ive seen lots of big pike taken without bait, jigging spoons, those huge jigs that look like rainbow trout, jigging raps, it all works if you do it right. For the second rod, consider a big balloon or grocery bag on the tip of a long rod, self jigging. Tournaments will have to make changes like this if they want to survive in Alberta, just too many people using the resource to continue with no changes.

bubba 96
02-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Give it a few years, people will figure out how to catch the big ones. May be a few drop outs but like with changes in any competition people will adapt. Ive seen lots of big pike taken without bait, jigging spoons, those huge jigs that look like rainbow trout, jigging raps, it all works if you do it right. For the second rod, consider a big balloon or grocery bag on the tip of a long rod, self jigging. Tournaments will have to make changes like this if they want to survive in Alberta, just too many people using the resource to continue with no changes.

X2 agree fully...Like I said makes a better fisherman..

npauls
02-13-2013, 11:46 PM
If tournaments go to this type of rules they will all end up dying around here.

With very few competitors in an event the organizers will just have to eventually shut it down.

What happens after this year at Newel when a bunch of fishermen/women head out and get skunked all weekend?

They are going to say to hell with that derby and this trend will continue until there just isn't enough interest to keep the tourney running.

I am thinking after this years derby with a bait ban and the organizers realizing how many people aren't going to go anymore they will either scrap those rules or collapse the derby in future years.

Kyle
02-14-2013, 07:23 AM
I am thinking after this years derby with a bait ban and the organizers realizing how many people aren't going to go anymore they will either scrap those rules or collapse the derby in future years.

If we are lucky they will collapse the derby. These tournaments are way too hard on lakes.

Don K
02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
If we are lucky they will collapse the derby. These tournaments are way too hard on lakes.

X2... As fun as they are lakes like Badger get killed... It's ridiculous how many people are out for these and every year there's more... Can't be great for the fish stocks

Mutter87
02-14-2013, 08:13 AM
X2... As fun as they are lakes like Badger get killed... It's ridiculous how many people are out for these and every year there's more... Can't be great for the fish stocks

This is a pretty valid point. Wonder how many good size (20#+) Pike die every year cause some Yahoo (Done gonna wun himself uh prize at th-uh, tar-nuh-ment).

Reddin
02-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Agree, get rid of all the derbies.

coyote_man
02-14-2013, 08:45 AM
From what Ive heard it is not the derby organizers who have implemented the bait ban for the derby nor is the Newell Derby trying to set a specific trend for future derbies. This is supposedly a new provincial regulation that we are going to be seeing in all future derbies. With CV and Badger upcoming it will be interesting to see if the same rules apply or not.

yulful
02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
I like the idea of a bait ban for ice fishing derbies. Its main idea is to protect the fish and the quantity caught during large derbies like Newell. There's a lot of pressure that derbies bring to lakes. Lowering the amount caught will obviously increase the population and lessen the chance of mortality. I'm sure there are a lot of people that are complaining and wont participate cause of the ban, But suck it up its a challenge and the main reason for the derby is a fundraiser. Let’s not forget about that!

packhuntr
02-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Boy theres some pretty big accusations there. As one of the top boats to fish the open water chasing that 200$ prize you mention with more top 3 finishes and wins than anyone else ive been aware of in the history of the open water here,, i cant help but think you are mentioning my boat? Care to enlighten people on what you and your pals think goes on out there? Has anyone ever seen ur boat there,,, or have u plans of buying one yet and showing up with cash in hand like everyone else?

packhuntr
02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
For anyone not in the know here, newell is in bad shape. What a small handful of us have been saying about blanket regulations, overharvest, killing large predators and stunting, its unfortunate but we watched it happen to this lake and others. Srd is too late in wanting pike closed here. They wanted zero retention for 2013 going foreward. The only unfortunate reason its going to be 1 fish limit is because the local f&w officer stands NO CHANCE in enforcing the impedning poaching that would be taking place. Pretty sad when we know something NEEDS protection, but we cannot protect it from people,,, people that say they are knowledgable, experienced, ethical yada yada.
Oh hey Wayne, looking foreward to your explanation of your above quoted post. Following that which im so excited to see, know that my other boat is for rent in June if youd like to participate in a fun day and continue to support your community. Show up and plan on donating toa good cause like the rest of us. I couldnt make it last year but plan to again fish it this year, i look foreward to seeing u on the water.

Looper
02-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey Pack,

Not looking to argue, but you paint a pretty depressing picture about the shape Newell is in. Just curious why you say that?

I would consider myself a regular at Newell as I don't live very far away. I bought myself an Aquaview this year and am a little shocked by how much I see on camera. Tons of perch and whitefish for the pike to forage on. Lots of pike of all sizes too. Last time I went I caught 11. Seems like the walleye fishing is pretty good too.

I always thought the reason they didnt close entirely for the spring spawn was because it was a strong fishery.

It is a pretty massive lake compared to the other irrigation resevoirs, and I believe by far the oldest.

It's still my favorite lake as I have great luck there.

Looper

pikergolf
02-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I like the idea of the bait ban as well and don't understand the whining. It is for the betterment of the fishery. It's an equal field, and to make out that you won't catch fish come on, be creative. Seems to be a lot of lost fishermen without bait, rise up, seize the moment. LOL You can say you won because you are the superior fisherman.

freeones
02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Boy theres some pretty big accusations there. As one of the top boats to fish the open water chasing that 200$ prize you mention with more top 3 finishes and wins than anyone else ive been aware of in the history of the open water here,, i cant help but think you are mentioning my boat? Care to enlighten people on what you and your pals think goes on out there? Has anyone ever seen ur boat there,,, or have u plans of buying one yet and showing up with cash in hand like everyone else?

Why you would feel the comment was directed at you personally out of the 100s of boats and fisherman out there?

Or is this just an excuse to blow your own horn?

packhuntr
02-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Oh rest assured it was directed squarely at me lol. While i may be extremely vocal about conservation, i wouldnt go so far as to call myself a do-gooder lol.
Again, the floor is Waynes, i am excited to hear what Wayne thinks about what he believes to be transpiring at these and any other organized events.

rafhone
02-14-2013, 06:17 PM

I herd a rumour that someone got caught keeping a large pike in a wire holding pen under the ice, waiting for the ice derby to start. I also herd the culprit won 3 previous derbies. It's just a rumour and I treat it as such.

packhuntr
02-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Come on WayneChristie. Whats the story. Im more excited here than on Xmas morning, patiently waiting to hear about how anyone that ever pulled a check out of a competitive fishing event, put thier fish in the livewell. There has got to be a whole slug of reasons why anyone who ever worked thier azzes off for anything are simply nothing more than a bunch of no good cheaters hey??

WayneChristie
02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Ok Wes Im home now, I can answer your idiotic posts. where in any of my posts do you see anything about fishing from a boat? are you feeling guilty about something? does raising tame trout in a dugout qualify you as some sort of fisheries expert? are you really that egocentric and self centered to think anything was posted about you, for you or directed at you in this or any other thread? Looper dont try to get straight answers about fisheries or any other topic from this buffoon, facts will only confuse him.

WayneChristie
02-14-2013, 06:33 PM
and you consider yourself a do-gooder? where does that come from, did you get a badge in school? where did I accuse anyone least of all you, by name ? Does the term " I think thou doest protest too much" mean anything to you? maybe someone can explain that to you

WayneChristie
02-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Oh rest assured it was directed squarely at me lol. While i may be extremely vocal about conservation, i wouldnt go so far as to call myself a do-gooder lol.
Again, the floor is Waynes, i am excited to hear what Wayne thinks about what he believes to be transpiring at these and any other organized events.

you really do take the cake, Id say thats slander directed at me, so go shove your little boat up your azz and fart off. useless waste of skin

packhuntr
02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
I herd a rumour that someone got caught keeping a large pike in a wire holding pen under the ice, waiting for the ice derby to start. I also herd the culprit won 3 previous derbies. It's just a rumour and I treat it as such.

He was talking about the summer derby, where guys rigged and knowledgable can compete and play ball. I have fished the hardwater maybe 3 times in my life. Anyone that hangs a smelt down a hole has a chance at the cash. You cannot compete in a situation as such. If there are issues with the hard water scenario i have not heard of it. Please guys, show me anyone that is a return/multiple top 3 winner there besides maybe Brian Fairhurst afew years ago. He took first and second that year. Great location and he smoked 2 big hens. My buddy lost the coin toss for 2nd 3rd with a fish of equal weight, giving brian both top spots.
In the summer derby guys can compete if they have kNOWLEDGE and know how to get it done. Show me these guys that call cheaters on other competitors and i will show you someone that simply never stood a chance in ANYTHING in thier lives...

rafhone
02-14-2013, 06:41 PM
He was talking about the summer derby, where guys rigged and knowledgable can compete and play ball. I have fished the hardwater maybe 3 times in my life. Anyone that hangs a smelt down a hole has a chance at the cash. You cannot compete in a situation as such. If there are issues with the hard water scenario i have not heard of it. Please guys, show me anyone that is a return/multiple top 3 winner there besides maybe Brian Fairhurst afew years ago. He took first and second that year. Great location and he smoked 2 big hens. My buddy lost the coin toss for 2nd 3rd with a fish of equal weight, giving brian both top spots.
In the summer derby guys can compete if they have kNOWLEDGE and know how to get it done. Show me these guys that call cheaters on other competitors and i will show you someone that simply never stood a chance in ANYTHING in thier lives...

Since there's no skill or knowledge in ice fishing, I'd be glad to have a personal friendly competition. High stakes if you like. I've only been ice fishing Newell for a month. Would be fun :)

packhuntr
02-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Since there's no skill or knowledge in ice fishing, I'd be glad to have a personal friendly competition. High stakes if you like. I've only been ice fishing Newell for a month. Would be fun :)

Fair enough. Your 1 month versus my 20 years.... Im not a guide and my hard earned spots dont need company.
Im intrigued/interested by all this talk of cheating. Love to hear more!

flygirrl
02-14-2013, 06:58 PM
This thread is trash

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
If tournaments go to this type of rules they will all end up dying around here.

With very few competitors in an event the organizers will just have to eventually shut it down.

What happens after this year at Newel when a bunch of fishermen/women head out and get skunked all weekend?

They are going to say to hell with that derby and this trend will continue until there just isn't enough interest to keep the tourney running.

No doubt , people will just go to Saskatchewan or the states . Fishing tournaments in the states gave been going for many years , they allow bait , sounds like some pretty bad thinking if you ask me .

Why do you say that . Tournaments are catch and release only , you have to provide many weigh stations for the winter ones and summer tournaments you have to have a running and operable live well . Fishing tournaments are great and a lot of fun . Competing against some very good fisherman as good or better than you . Look at some of the tournaments in the states where there's a million dollar price for the winner . Fishing is far bigger in the states then Canada sadly . Couldn't imagine such a thing but damn would be fun trying .

Alberta Bigbore
02-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Some of you need to walk away from the keyboard and relax.