PDA

View Full Version : Wolf and coyote in the same day -- is it possible?

Vingiu
02-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm headed out to my special spot on Friday, hoping to call in a couple coyotes, hopefully even a wolf if I have the patience. The area is simply crawling with deer and moose, so I'd imagine it's a good habitat for both of these predators... If I want my chances of seeing ANYTHING (I'm not picky about which one), what are my best bets in terms of calls? Will distressed rabbit or deer calls do the trick for both animals, or do wolves respond differently to certain calls than coyotes do?

TFishin
02-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Distressed rabbit is probably your best bet, I use an elk call and just imitate a crying rabbit and it works for coyotes. Wolves are predators as well so i don't see why it wouldn't work for them too.
Good luck, I hope you get both!

Vingiu
02-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks, I hope so too :) I hear the weather's gonna be crappy, so I really hope I don't have to sit in the slush for 12 hours for nothing!

yoteblaster
02-13-2013, 10:12 PM
I would think a yote would be real nervous coming into a call if wolves are in the area. When I call in an area with both foxes and coyotes, the foxes will often come in hard and fast to avoid any contact with a coyote. If I don,t drop the fox, they don,t stick around even for a few seconds.That is even if they haven,t been shot at. I could be totally wrong here, but thats been my experience. Good luck though, it would be a neat double header. Keep us posted.

Speckle55
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
i Called in Wolves 4 times this year .. 3 times howling and one Elk distress which is close to a Wabbit distress .. twice on the howls they came in the next day in the morning but walk right out boldly see if i can get pic's and post .. the other time howling them in they 2 came out at 800 yds down a pipeline and came 300 yards closer till they hit my sons fresh tracks and smelled him then retreated in a hurry.. i called out again and counted a coup and let her go at 500 yds .. useing the Elk distress i saw 4 chasing deer across regen then called and one more came out below me and was coming up hill and the other 4 were coming as i called(elk distress with a reed) .. but the Black came to 20 ft then i vented him and the others disappeared but if i had my 7mm i coulded vented a few more ..
here is the pic's of the wolfs the next day one is at Gregg Lake(my Buddy Bill) and the other is at Miskiki Lake.. i was by myself and its my truck in pic

enjoy

David:)