PDA

View Full Version : Can Missawawii be rehabilitated???

Drewski Canuck
02-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Perch fishing memories abound. Problem is how do you bring up the lake level? Could a Weir be installed on the south end to hold back the water?

Sure wish this lake would recover. Apparently not all the perch were wiped out, but it is hard to believe the lake could drop so far and stay down so long.

Drewski

Brent_reid
02-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Most of the lakes it the north east have been hit hard by low water Upper- lower Mann lakes Isle Lake Moose, Skelton. Not to mention numerous others. Not sure if there is any solution to this.

Dacotensis
02-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Perch fishing memories abound. Problem is how do you bring up the lake level? Could a Weir be installed on the south end to hold back the water?

Sure wish this lake would recover. Apparently not all the perch were wiped out, but it is hard to believe the lake could drop so far and stay down so long.

Drewski

I have some great memories of this lake when I was a kid as well.

Caught a huge pike near the bridge and there is at least one big perch on my wall downstairs that dad left here.
I remember one winter it was darn near impossible to get the perch to hit the hook. The only way they would is if there was another at the hook as well.
One would get greedy and end up on the ice.
I remember getting a fishing hook caught in my neck on one of our ice fishing trips. All this 30 years ago. Wow!

Pikebreath
02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Most of the lakes it the north east have been hit hard by low water Upper- lower Mann lakes Isle Lake Moose, Skelton. Not to mention numerous others. Not sure if there is any solution to this.

The solution is more rain, more snow, more run off. There have been more more years of below normal preciptition in the past 30 years than above normal. Three or four successive years of much above normal precip is needed to reverse the trend.

Safety D
02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
yip aint like it was 30 years ago. Glad i got to expierence that !!!

Levy
02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
I have noticed several aquifer fed lakes in the region improving. Steb, Whitney, and even seibert slightly but like pike breath said several years of much above normal precip is needed. That is if local development (ie water wells, oil wells) isn't the culprit. If you have a breach between two aquifers, and an aquitard is compromised they can theororerically act like a pulled plug on a bath tub and slowly drain for ever bringing down ground water levels. Also if you have a 100 to 300 year residence time in an aquifer agricultural, and domestic use can have a significant effect on water levels (ie Minnie lake) if you want to see a group of beautiful lakes ruined by decreased water levels look at Reita, Bluet, Garner, Muriel, and Ernestina. All great fishing at one point in time right beside Bonnyville and all within the Muriel Creek Drainage Basin. I think Bluet is the only one with catchable fish left in it and Muriel is a swamp full of minnows and birds. The Bonnyville MD is trying to get the Alberta government to pump NSR water over 10 km into bluet lake drainage basin which flows to garner then to Muriel but they send them the same standardized letter of disapproval every time. Can't even be bothered to write a new letter from what I heard.

If it doesn't help the government get oil out of the ground they don't want anything to do with it even if it is great for the provinces fisheries.