PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated by snowmobiling hunters

tegcont
02-14-2013, 05:27 PM
I was out hunting coyotes last weekend with a couple friends, and when I say hunting, I mean dressed in camo, on foot, and trying to call coyotes in. We were on our second stand when three guys on snowmobiles come ripping in and circle every patch of bush with rifles or shotguns on their back. They messed us up and scared everything off. We gave up on that spot and moved to another area close by. Two hours later they come back and do the same thing. This time one of them spots me, jumps off his sled and raises his rifle at me to see what I was. He seemed to be surprised when I raised my rifle back at him. Jumps back on his sled and off he goes. Frustrating and a little scary... Shocking to me to see people trying to "hunt" in this way.

G TINE
02-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Just classic! My buddy got scoped few years back! scarry is right. Same scenario, Only difference between your encounter was these guys were flying around in their truck in the middle of a piece of property chasing WT deer, my buddy had his snow camo on - the kid jumped out the truck scoped him, thought his hood was flag of a WT deer.... hmmm... D!ck snap!. anyway..

Thats to bad! hope you don't have that happen again. :sign0176:

Kale_M
02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Report them to fish and wildlife...

petew
02-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Tegcont:
" He seemed to be surprised when I raised my rifle back at him."
You purposly aimed your gun at a man? and you are mad at him?
:sign0176:

wally338
02-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Tegcont:

I have never been scoped but trust me if I ever was I would take steps to protect myself,meaning I would most certainly be pointing a gun back.

Jameson340
02-14-2013, 07:33 PM
2 wrongs don't make a right........You could wave you arms and yell at him making him aware that you are not a coyote, unless he shoots at you then you better not be pointing your gun at anyone unless you intend to kill them...

teledogs
02-14-2013, 08:23 PM
I'd be angry too but I would not point my rifle at someone. That's me. Very scary situation none the less.

G TINE
02-14-2013, 08:35 PM
I just think no one should have to ever be in the position of being scoped! buy a pair of Bino's would be a fantastic idea!! :)

Morbius131
02-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Enough, if you are going to throw this thread off track then it isn't long for the forum...if you want to discuss slob poachers on snowmobiles have at it.

Stay on topic.

Morb

AMisler
02-14-2013, 08:41 PM
buy a pair of Bino's would be a fantastic idea!! :)

Too much to carry while snowmobile hunting;)

Two wrongs don't make a right, and your just as much in the wrong as he at this point.

G TINE
02-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Too much to carry while snowmobile hunting;)

Two wrongs don't make a right, and your just as much in the wrong as he at this point.

Wrong for carrying Binos? sure.

petew
02-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Enough, if you are going to throw this thread off track then it isn't long for the forum...if you want to discuss slob poachers on snowmobiles have at it.

Stay on topic.

Morb

If you read the original post the thread IS ON TOPIC :sign0176:
I am surprised you feel it is fine to point your rifle at people like the original poster Tells us he did.
I don't.
Pete

KI-UTE
02-14-2013, 10:00 PM
So guys sledding everywhere, the closer to the furbuyer the more sledding happens. So why do the fish cops never do anything about it? Fly around on a chopper and have at it! They have a bottomless pit of money to work with. They know who the big sledders are, why don't they take them out?

bearb8er
02-14-2013, 10:16 PM
So guys sledding everywhere, the closer to the furbuyer the more sledding happens. So why do the fish cops never do anything about it? Fly around on a chopper and have at it! They have a bottomless pit of money to work with. They know who the big sledders are, why don't they take them out?

Nothing illegal about hunting yotes on a sled! There are some rules that have to be followed but it isn't illegal.

huntin
02-14-2013, 10:18 PM
I love huntin dogs off my sled. And I hunt moose out of my rhino what's the problem.

Vingiu
02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
I think the OP was more frustrated about the fact that they were being rambunctious and unruly... I'm sure we can all agree there's nothing wrong with OHV use while hunting. I'd say it's the gun-pointing and disrespectfulness the other hunters showed that ticked him off. Don't get too fired up, guys :)

fordtruckin
02-14-2013, 10:41 PM
right or wrong at least nobody got hurt!

mxer117
02-14-2013, 11:23 PM

Did you honestly just say F and W have a "bottomless pit of money" to work with??

:snapoutofit:

Holy frig, dude, do you have ANY idea what you're talking about? I am just going to assume you are twelve and have no idea about government, budgets, and departments like F and W and how they have have manage what little resources they are given.

Bottomless pit.............:sign0161:

mxer117
02-14-2013, 11:25 PM
.....unless you're entire post was sarcasm, and I just missed it.......:confused0024:

Big Daddy Badger
02-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Tegcont:

So the other guy accidentally shouldered that rifle?

I think not.

Bottom line is intentional aimed at the OP or not... he had good reason to assume that a loaded firearm was being aimed at him.
And... you are responsible for where you train a weapon whether intentional or otherwise.
After all... were these guys not already breaking the law? Maybe?
And once someone does that... all bets are off... it was absolutley within his rights to respond withan equal show of force or even fire if he believed that he was in imminent danger.

So yeah... darn tootin... I catch you glassing me with a scope... mines coming up and charged and my thumb on the safety.
You have about 5 seconds to decide you want to live.
I'll take my chances in court.... it shouldn't be too hard to convince a jury that having a loaded rifle aimed at me was reason enough to believe my life was immediatly threatened.

motox208
02-15-2013, 06:21 AM
I agree with pesky on this one. I have been shot at before. It's not fun.

tegcont
02-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Dam right I purposely aimed my gun at a man who was aiming one at me! And if he had shot at me, I guarantee he would not have gotten a second one. I am 215 lbs. 6 feet tall. Sitting in a field. I am not a coyote. Either way, I completely identified him to the point I new they were armed before they ever stopped their sleds, using binoculars.
I would like to get back to the sleds. I didn't know if what they were doing was illegal or not. If not it should be. At a minimum they were harassing wildlife. Circling every patch of bush in a field until something runs out, and them chase him down on sled, running him until you get close enough to take a crack at him or run him over. Not very sporting in my opinion...

catnthehat
02-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Dam right I purposely aimed my gun at a man who was aiming one at me! And if he had shot at me, I guarantee he would not have gotten a second one. I am 215 lbs. 6 feet tall. Sitting in a field. I am not a coyote. Either way, I completely identified him to the point I new they were armed before they ever stopped their sleds, using binoculars.
I would like to get back to the sleds. I didn't know if what they were doing was illegal or not. If not it should be. At a minimum they were harassing wildlife. Circling every patch of bush in a field until something runs out, and them chase him down on sled, running him until you get close enough to take a crack at him or run him over. Not very sporting in my opinion...

If you saw them do this you could report them.
if you didn't, you are simply speculating.
HOWEVER, two wrongs do not make a right and you are insinuating. that you would have shot the man?
How do you know he would have pulled the trigger?
You said you were in camo?

You had better get used to this stuff in populated areas.
BTW, I've hunted off snowmobile in the past and never ran them down, no need to - just spot them and shoot them once you stop the sled.
The only thing wrong here is that the guy pointed a rifle at you .
Cat

tegcont
02-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Only one guy had a rifle with a folding stock, the other two were packing shot guns. I highly doubt they were stopping and then shooting.

You are right, I am speculating, but these guys were not putting out in a field, they were screaming around the field until something ran off. I have no problem with people using a utv respectfully. But a couple laps around every patch of bush at 50 miles an hour doesn't seem right to me.

nekred
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Tough guy, hey if he flipped a shot at a target the size of you, you would not have had time to get a shot off...

I often KILL coyotes and wolves while using sled...it is not hunting but extermination of vermin. It lets me cover a huge amount of territory, and I used to often just run them down. Rifle was if they were on top of snow.

Dang rights I harass the heck out of them, maybe if you lost thousands of dollars in cattle you would have a hate on too.

I still don't get how you complkain about this and yet you still pointed rifle at them.... I mean pretty obvious not a coyote, and how are people supposed to know you are on stand for coyotes... after all if they can see you then you probably not "on stand".

Right now is ripe for killing coyotes once again I do not call it hunting!....

nekred
02-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Only one guy had a rifle with a folding stock, the other two were packing shot guns. I highly doubt they were stopping and then shooting.

You are right, I am speculating, but these guys were not putting out in a field, they were screaming around the field until something ran off. I have no problem with people using a utv respectfully. But a couple laps around every patch of bush at 50 miles an hour doesn't seem right to me.

Shotgun had scope? folding stock rifle had scope... , they should hve been able to see you in your black dually!...

The Spruce
02-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Right on thanks for all the info. Picking up my new sled tonight....going to run a few dogs down tomorrow (dripping with sarcasm). If I see one when I am checking traps though....another pelt to put up. Not sure about the whole pointing gun thing, you guys were both in the wrong there. At least he wasn't sure what he was pointing at. That is why I carry binos, if I am pointing my gun, there is usually a loud bang to follow. Over and out.:scared0018:

Jameson340
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Right on thanks for all the info. Picking up my new sled tonight....going to run a few dogs down tomorrow (dripping with sarcasm). If I see one when I am checking traps though....another pelt to put up. Not sure about the whole pointing gun thing, you guys were both in the wrong there. At least he wasn't sure what he was pointing at. That is why I carry binos, if I am pointing my gun, there is usually a loud bang to follow. Over and out.:scared0018:

X2.....some people shouldn't have guns... :sign0161:

Cal
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Wow, this thread somehow managed to become a collection of nearly everything that sucks about AO. A skidmark on the underpants of a once great forum.

Vingiu
02-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Wow, this thread somehow managed to become a collection of nearly everything that sucks about AO. A skidmark on the underpants of a once great forum.
This made me laugh -- you certainly brightened up this thread a bit :)

Sledhead71
02-15-2013, 08:04 PM

Couldn't agree more....

TBark
02-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Heard this all too often.
Surprised "was on private land and only we had permission" was not part of the scenario.

TBark

pointer
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
A guy at work killed 9 coyotes last friday everyone was telling him he was doing a great job until they found out he ran them down on sled and shot gunned them so was he was doing a good job untill he was on a sled :thinking-006:

Vingiu
02-16-2013, 12:27 AM
A guy at work killed 9 coyotes last friday everyone was telling him he was doing a great job until they found out he ran them down on sled and shot gunned them so was he was doing a good job untill he was on a sled :thinking-006:
If we're going by the letter of the law, there's nothing wrong with that, right? Although some of us may disagree, I'd contend that he's just finding the most efficient means to an end... Path of least resistance, eh?

tchardy1972
02-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Tough guy, hey if he flipped a shot at a target the size of you, you would not have had time to get a shot off...

I often KILL coyotes and wolves while using sled...it is not hunting but extermination of vermin. It lets me cover a huge amount of territory, and I used to often just run them down. Rifle was if they were on top of snow.

Dang rights I harass the heck out of them, maybe if you lost thousands of dollars in cattle you would have a hate on too.

I still don't get how you complkain about this and yet you still pointed rifle at them.... I mean pretty obvious not a coyote, and how are people supposed to know you are on stand for coyotes... after all if they can see you then you probably not "on stand".

Right now is ripe for killing coyotes once again I do not call it hunting!....
This is illegal. You can not chase any wildlife with any motorized vehicle. I do hope that you get caught doing this one day and I hope they throw the book right down your throat. Good luck.

KegRiver
02-16-2013, 05:25 PM
This is illegal. You can not chase any wildlife with any motorized vehicle. I do hope that you get caught doing this one day and I hope they throw the book right down your throat. Good luck.

Holy Smokes, how did I miss that!!!!

Sorry folks, time to end this train wreck!

Thread closed.