PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Fish

Lady White
02-14-2013, 06:35 PM
How do you smoke your fish? I do whitefish. Salt them the night before with 50% pickling salt and 50% brown sugar about 7pm. In the morning put it in the Traeger for 6 hours on smoke then turn it up to 225 degrees for half hour. I usually use Alder pellets. How about everyone else?

Brent_reid
02-14-2013, 07:57 PM
FOund this on a thread from Billycap hope you dont mind me sharing looks fantastic Im going to try it this weekend

Brent

Brent_reid
02-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Here it is hahaha

1 liter warm water
just under a 1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
just over 1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tbs crushed garlic
2 tbs onion powder
30ml artificial maple extract

soak in brine about 12 hours
rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel
let stand/dry on counter for 1 hour
2 pans of chips in little chief smoker
glaze with honey
bake @ 275 F for 40-50min in oven

result
smoked/candied fish thats more addictive than Heroin
:sHa_shakeshout:

fish gunner
02-14-2013, 08:45 PM
I set my heat at 160f for the first two hrs as to not boil the fish . Then I put the heat up for the rest of the smoke.

Lady White
02-14-2013, 09:41 PM
I set my heat at 160f for the first two hrs as to not boil the fish . Then I put the heat up for the rest of the smoke.

I start cool to about 100 degrees first

fish gunner
02-14-2013, 10:14 PM
I start cool to about 100 degrees first

I learned from a family friend , that smoked all our catch when I lived on the coast. I have tried a few different techniques and consumers always pick olde faithful. Hands down start cool and work from there. Every smoker has its own preference also .

Nova
02-16-2013, 08:00 PM
I will have to try smoking at a lower temp and also doing this candied thing. Never even heard of candied smoked fish until this thread, and then I just so happened to trip across it in the local co-op. Bloody expensive but I tried some anyway. Best salmon I've ever had.

I will have to give the lower initial temp thing a try. I was hesitant to smoke my catch. Most of what I had read elsewhere said that pike/perch/walleye turn out too dry. I did try one batch in fall, mostly perch and walleye. The larger walleye fillets turned out good and half the perch were dry. The other half were wrapped in thin slices of bacon and hit with pepper, turned out awesome. This was all done at I think 180 for 2 hours with mesquite pucks IIRC.

Triple Threat
02-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Nova the fatty fish like whites,salmon,trout smoke more moist than the leaner fish you mentioned. IMO

Kokanee9
02-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Always had good luck starting cool and staying cool throughout the entire process.

winmag
02-17-2013, 09:58 AM
pick fresh smaller whites keep them cold at all times lay fish on board start your knife at lower back on top of spine slip knife through center of fish to vent then stay on top of spine run knife to gill plate cut off head and wash fish and back bone clean in cold water sprinkle kosher salt and brown sugar on meat sides fold sides together lay fish in plastic container in cold room or fridge approx 8 hours remove the container you will have extra liquid because the salt draws the moister out now wash the fish in cold water and pat dry with paper towels let fish glaze off [meat side not sticky] preheat smoker approx 120f put in fish skin side down start smoke with vents open 1 hour then up to 180 to 200f until flaky but moist this all depends on fish thickness the smaller fish we pull them and eat right away alder wood or black diamond willow or fruit woods best [apple] whites are such mild flavor this all you need as a note whites i tear the throat [between gills] as soon as i get the hook out to bleed them stops blood marbling in fillet which i think can cause a little fishiness but what a fun fish and great table fare smoked or fried

Brent_reid
02-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Got a batch of the Candied Whites in the smoker for the last 3 hrs almost done.

Brent_reid
02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Just took it out of the oven Omg tastes incredible 1 rs time for this recipe. The only thing I did different on these was put crushed black pepper in the honey and basted them before the oven

Lady White
02-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Just took it out of the oven Omg tastes incredible 1 rs time for this recipe. The only thing I did different on these was put crushed black pepper in the honey and basted them before the oven

Omg sounds good need a snack now. People don't realize what they are missing out on if the don't east smoked or candies fish